Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,606 members, 7,801,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Nigerian + American = Undateable? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian + American = Undateable? (13235 Views)

9 Characters That Makes Some Nigerian Girls Undateable / The Undateable Lady. / Nigerian Parents And Dating As A Nigerian-american (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 8:44am On Jun 20, 2011
I went to a  Nigerian get together in Atlanta recently, and I met some really nice Nigerian guys. They were all cool and assumed both my parents were Nigerians, then they found out my mom was an African American and they totally lost interest in me. 

That hadn't been the first time I'm experiencing stuffs like this from Nigerian guys. What's up with that?   

My Dad is a Nigerian, while my Mum is an AA. She lived in Nigeria for very a significant period of time and she's very familiar with the culture (so, it's not as if my parents are "non-Nigerians"wink.

I like Nigerian guys, but I don't know what's up with them? I don't wanna lie about where I come from. What do I do guys? Your input and advice will be appreciated.  smiley
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MsPotato(f): 8:49am On Jun 20, 2011
I dont think its about your nationality. I know Nigerians are one of the most friendliest people on this planet and I dont think they actually give a toss about a persons nationality or race.

I think it has sumthin to do with your character or maybe you have said sumthin that offended them
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 8:56am On Jun 20, 2011
Ms. Potato:

I dont think its about your nationality. I know Nigerians are one of the most friendliest people on this planet and I dont think they actually give a toss about a persons nationality or race.

I think it has sumthin to do with your character or maybe you have said sumthin that offended them

But I didn't say anything bad or offensive.

In fact, one of the older brothers of the guys introduced me to them and they were all cool with me.

190_@:

No wonder AA's are on this site looking for di[i]c[/i]ks  all around grin  grin

Please don't say that. I really am looking for an answers. My Nigerian heritage is as much a part of me as my American heritage cry
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MsPotato(f): 9:01am On Jun 20, 2011
PureOhio:

But I didn't say anything bad or offensive.

In fact, one of the older brothers of the guys introduced me to them and they were all cool with me.

The best way to find out is to ask them. Since u said the older brothers were the one that introduced you to them, than ask those older brothers instead and tell them about your concerns.

Cause I honestly dont think its about your nationality.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 9:09am On Jun 20, 2011
190_@:

Damnit - PureOhio

I Just saw your pic - can u give a young efficent good looking handsome romantic  guy like me

a chance

My assets include

3 cars back in Nigeria

An oil ring in warri

A swimming pool

If you date me -

You stand a chance to win

An LED TV

A Nitendo Wii

2 weeks holiday to the bahama's

A Trip to Nigeria ( Inclusive of all sorted Nigerian dishes )

and a brand new BMX bicycle

- Now would you date me - cos i think im in Lurv with you  wink wink

Cars? Swimming pool? Nintendo? Why would any of those things matter to me?

A man's possessions aren't what my heart wants.

Ms. Potato:

The best way to find out is to ask them. Since u said the older brothers were the one that introduced you to them, than ask those older brothers instead and tell them about your concerns.

Cause I honestly dont think its about your nationality.

Good idea. Some of my parents friends will be in Cleveland this week for a fund raiser so I'll try asking the guys when I see them. I sure hope your right though because this has happened to me before with other Nigerian guys.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MsPotato(f): 9:14am On Jun 20, 2011
190_@:

Clearly the Nigerian gene's aint in your system  wink

I have money - Lots of money grin grin grin

Typical Nigerian Boy u are. undecided

PureOhio, dont believe this 190 guy. He is not serious at all grin tongue
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 9:24am On Jun 20, 2011
190_@:

Clearly the Nigerian gene's aint in your system  wink

I have money - Lots of money  grin  grin  grin

Excuse me? What kind of girl do you think I am?

If this is the kind of man you are, then please keep your money. I'm not one of those girls.

Ms. Potato:

Typical Nigerian Boy u are.  undecided

PureOhio, dont believe this 190 guy. He is not serious at all  grin tongue

I hope he's not serious. Those are not nice things to say about my people.

190_@:

angry angry

Potato dont spoil my market  angry angry

Mr. 190_@, I am not property or produce. There is no market here.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Goldieluks: 9:26am On Jun 20, 2011
PureOhio:

Excuse me? What kind of girl do you think I am?

If this is the kind of man you are, then please keep your money. I'm not one of those girls.

I hope he's not serious. Those are not nice things to say about my people.

Mr. 190_@, I am not property or produce. There is no market here.

Lmao,don't mind him jor,he's a joker! grin
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by jaybee3(m): 9:31am On Jun 20, 2011
PureOhio:

I went to a  Nigerian get together in Atlanta recently, and I met some really nice Nigerian guys. They were all cool and assumed both my parents were Nigerians, then they found out my mom was an African American and they totally lost interest in me. 

Are you sure they didn't lose interest cos of the way you came across? Men don't usually lose interest by having mere conversations especially to pretty girls like you. We only lose interest if the girl comes across has having some loose bolts in her head or just plain dumb/arrogant.
Anyhoo, ain't nothing wrong with you, you just need to look outside of your comfort zone.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 9:41am On Jun 20, 2011
jay bee:

Are you sure they didn't lose interest cos of the way you came across? Men don't usually lose interest by having mere conversations especially to pretty girls like you. We only lose interest if the girl comes across has having some loose bolts in her head or just plain dumb/arrogant.
Anyhoo, ain't nothing wrong with you, you just need to look outside of your comfort zone.

Honestly, I can't really afford to be rude or mean to these guys or anyone else for that matter. Their family and my family are in the same circle of Nigerian friends. Even if I hated them, I'm kinda stuck with them for the next couple of years lol. My father and their parents grew up in the same area, went to the same schools, traveled to the same places so we're all pretty much tied to each other whether we like it or not. I'm sure you kinda see where I'm going with this.

And thank you for the compliment.

190_@:

Pumpkin- Dont get angry OK since u dont want my money

Tell me what u want -

- I can send you to college and buy you new dresses to make you more presentable to Nigerians  wink

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNBC4mC5y4[/flash]

Do you call all new girls pumpkin?

Goldieluks:

[/b]

Lmao,don't mind him jor,he's a joker! grin

Lol, oh I see. I guess that's his thing?
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 20, 2011
What part of Nigerian is your dad from? have you ever been to Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by jaybee3(m): 10:01am On Jun 20, 2011
PureOhio:

Honestly, I can't really afford to be rude or mean to these guys or anyone else for that matter. Their family and my family are in the same circle of Nigerian friends. Even if I hated them, I'm kinda stuck with them for the next couple of years lol. My father and their parents grew up in the same area, went to the same schools, traveled to the same places so we're all pretty much tied to each other whether we like it or not. I'm sure you kinda see where I'm going with this.

Try dating outside of that circle.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 10:04am On Jun 20, 2011
jennykadry:

What part of Nigerian is your dad from? have you ever been to Nigeria?

My Dad was born in Lagos. His father is from Anambra and his mother was born in Osun state but was raised in Abuja.

Yes, I've been to Nigeria before.
190_@:

Am not a player - Neither do i talk to any girls/ladies around here

U remind me of my ex anyways her name is BABE thats why i decided to chat ya up

since your current Nigerian dude certainly seems confused on wat he wants

well i dont -  kiss kiss

From today henceforth - I'll call you my missing rib  wink

What current dude? I didn't saying I was dating anyone undecided

jay bee:

Try dating outside of that circle.

lol funny thing is, I've never actually dated within the circle
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 10:08am On Jun 20, 2011
190_@:

Then start with me kiss kiss

No thank you. Sorry but I didn't post the thread to snag a cyber boyfriend
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 20, 2011
When was the last time you went to Nigeria? how long were you there for?

190 stop it already, you are the reason why people post their stories here and run away undecided

And will you pure ohio ignore him and mind your thread? angry the thread is loosing it's taste with your back and forth goose play
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MMM2(m): 10:22am On Jun 20, 2011
pureohio

relax and dont worry,

i will hook u up with Mr. Cork  dats all u need. angry
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 10:27am On Jun 20, 2011
jennykadry:

When was the last time you went to Nigeria? how long were you there for?

190 stop it already, you are the reason why people post their stories here and run away undecided

And will you pure ohio ignore him and mind your thread? angry the thread is loosing it's taste with your back and forth goose play

I was in Nigeria about a year and a half ago. I spent the whole summer there.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause prolems embarassed embarassed

M M M:

pureohio

relax and dont worry,

i will hook u up with Mr. Cork  dats all u need. angry

Who?

Look, I'm not here to be hooked, married, or anything else. I just wanted to see there was an explanation for the whole thing.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2011
Please stop all of this!!! I need some answers. If you don't have any, make way for people who do.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by violent(m): 10:46am On Jun 20, 2011
@Poster:

---Trolls, learn to ignore them;

MMM
Mr Cork

They are absolutely capable of exhibiting the most annoying e-habits known to man!
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MMM2(m): 11:34am On Jun 20, 2011
op
but u re single. angry
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MMM2(m): 11:37am On Jun 20, 2011
violent:

@Poster:

---Trolls, learn to ignore them;

MMM
Mr Cork

They are absolutely capable of exhibiting the most annoying e-habits known to man!

so dis is d answer 2 her question. angry
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by emofine(f): 11:41am On Jun 20, 2011
Nigerian + American = Undateable?

PureOhio:
My Dad is a Nigerian, while my Mum is an AA.

shocked grin

PureOhio it's kinda amusing and ironic that you would ask such a question especially since you're a product of such union tongue

As far as I know nationality is not usually a constraint for many Nigerians - especially the guys cool
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by tpia5: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
Poster if you were fully one or the other they might have paid you more mind.

If you were half white, that might also count for something with some of them.

Unfortunately, nigerians are in the business of creating mixed people all over the planet, but integrating these mixed people is another thing entirely.

Of course its possible you said something or acted in a manner that put them off, but even then the sudden coolness is rather weird.

I'd say date outside that circle.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by violent(m): 12:13pm On Jun 20, 2011
Poster if you were fully one or the other they might have paid you more mind.

Is "mind" a form of legal tender?

just asking. . undecided
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MsPotato(f): 12:50pm On Jun 20, 2011
PureOhio,

Kindly ignore some people here. (I will not mention names though) lipsrsealed Cause for some people, when they post, they take it like everything is a joke to them and that they are here just to have fun. Thats how all the insult comes in.

Yes, try asking your friends that introduced you to them and tell them that if theres anything wrong which you have done, u deeply apologize. Ask them what happen. From there, u are able to know.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Big2bore(m): 1:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
wot i will advics you to do, is to try and get a nigeria friend, male or femel, ask some questions on dis issues and let see what happens.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2011
I won't really consider myself a "b1tchy person", but anyways, thanks for the comments guys, keep'em ccoming.  smiley
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by NaJaHaJe(f): 2:26pm On Jun 20, 2011
Big2bore:

wot i will advics you to do, is to try and get a nigeria friend, male or femel, ask some questions on dis issues and let see what happens.

this might come back and bite me in the ass but , hehehehehehehehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin

@ PureOhio

Nigerians really are friendly people. It may have more to do with personal characteristics rather than a general attribute within a particular race. undecided
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MsPotato(f): 2:39pm On Jun 20, 2011
Big2bore:

NaJa HaJe:

this might come back and bite me in the Bottom but , hehehehehehehehehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by LongOne1(m): 2:49pm On Jun 20, 2011
Could also be inferiority complex on their part, nothing for you to worry about. You are hot.

Kind of understand the way you feel though, being a product of two different states in Nigeria, I occasionally find it difficult to mix with either one.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by LongOne1(m): 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2011
Plus, can u speak pidgin/broken English? Learning to communicate that way instead of using the American accent, may help too you know?

Are u familiar with the naija way, particularly the delicacies? Goat head pepper soup, suya, edikai ikong with pounded yam, isi-ewu? Damn, my mouth is watering, lol.

Maybe they feel you can’t/don’t contribute to their discussions.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Basseti: 3:08pm On Jun 20, 2011
Long One:

Plus, can u speak pidgin/broken English? Learning to communicate that way instead of using the American accent, may help too you know?

Are u familiar with the naija way, particularly the delicacies? Goat head pepper soup, suya, edikai ikong with pounded yam, isi-ewu? Damn, my mouth is watering, lol.

Maybe they feel you can’t/don’t contribute to their discussions.

I dont think that matters one bit. Nigerian guys date/marry girls that are 100 percent AA; why do you think they will have issues with someone that is 50 percent akata and 50 percent naija?

This is hard to say (given the way wey naija guys eyes dey chook when it comes to babes cheesy) but maybe they were not interested in you romantically and just wanted to chat about naija stuff. When they found out that ur mom is AA, they might have figured (rightly or wrongly) that you had nothing to contribute to the conversation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Proposing Through The Phone; Would You Accept? / Get Married To A Virgin Or Die Searching! / How Much Is Olosho In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.