Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial (15084 Views)

Tinubu Grants Ex-Sierra Leone President, Koroma Asylum After Treason Charges / Treason Charges: FG Has Found Legal Grounds To Arrest Obi Like MNK / Amnesty International Reacts As Buhari Govt Slams Treason Charges On Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Lorddozzy(m): 7:05am On Jan 19, 2022
The re-arraignment of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu on amended terrorism charges was stalled yesterday before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

New lead defence counsel, Dr Mike Ozekhome (SAN), sought time to enable him to study the amended 15-count charge filed by the prosecution on January 17.

The SAN argued that the defence was ambushed with the fresh charge.

He claimed that the proof of evidence served on the defence by the prosecution was not legible enough to enable them to know what constitutes the fresh charge.

“My Lord, as I am talking now, the defendant does not know the charge yet. He is just interacting with me.

“He cannot be made to take his plea in relation to a charge he has not seen.

“The principle of fair hearing is just being violated by the Federal Government.

“The frail-looking defendant standing in the dock there has not been allowed to access his family as directed by this Honourable Court.

“I went to DSS to see him and I was almost stripped naked before I could see him.

“We pray that the arraignment is adjourned till tomorrow (today) to enable his lawyers to study the new charge along with him in the interest of justice,” Ozekhome said.

Lead prosecuting lawyer, Magaji Labaran, faulted the defence’s claim that the amended charge was an ambush.

He also faulted the defence’s claim of Kanu not being properly fed, allowed to practice his religion and allowed free access to his family members.

He, however, did not object to the defence’s request for an adjournment.

Justice Binta Nyako adjourned till January 19 for arraignment on the amended charge.

Before adjourning, Justice Binta Nyako ordered that the defendant and his lawyers be allowed to interact within the courtroom for a while before being taken away.

On the defendant’s complaints, the judge ordered that he be allowed to change his clothes.

“I don’t want to see him in this clothe again. This one is almost off-white. Also, make sure that you allow him to exercise,” the judge said.

Justice Nyako however reminded the defendant that a detention facility is not a 5-Star hotel.

She declined the defendant’s oral request that a foreign lawyer, Bruce Fein, be allowed into the courtroom to observe proceedings.

The judge said the request would be allowed upon a written application and approval by the Chief Judge.

Operatives of the State Security Service (SSS) brought Kanu

into the courtroom at about 9.50 am.

He exchanged pleasantries with some of his family members and his lawyers.

Earlier, one of Kanu’s lawyers, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, told our correspondent that the defence beefed up its legal team by engaging some senior lawyers, among whom is Ozekhome.

Ejiofor was, however, silent on the identity of the others.

Some supporters of Kanu, who stormed the court premises in large numbers, clashed with security operatives.

They chanted “Holy Holy Holy, Nnamdi Kanu is another Saviour”.

The IPOB supporters were at the other end of the Ministry of Justice when the security agents tried to disperse them.

The supporters refused, arguing that the security operatives gave free access to a pro-government group who were drumming and singing.

This resulted in a face-off between the supporters and security operatives who later called for reinforcement. Commissioner of Police, Sunday Babaji, said there was no clash of any sort.

https://thenationonlineng.net/fresh-treason-charges-force-shift-of-nnamdi-kanus-trial/

5 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Dailymice: 7:14am On Jan 19, 2022
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Amuluonyenaego: 7:14am On Jan 19, 2022
Weda Binta or Dinta (hunter) likes it or not she no fit kill kanu, she can only suffer his flesh but she no fit kill am. Oji ife nwata welie aka elu, aka lobe ya ilo owetue ya n'ala............. Chukwuokike abiama is at work.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Wokenaija: 7:16am On Jan 19, 2022
angry
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by headSmasher: 7:17am On Jan 19, 2022
Kanu nnamadi will be in perpetual bondage till the end of buhari tenure, Igbo should pray buhari should not him to negotiate the president with the incoming president, that is why the Igbos should vote overwhelmingly for the south west, a word is ok for the wise

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by bestman09(m): 7:17am On Jan 19, 2022

The government is just running around circles bidding for time. They don't have any case, just employing delay tactics

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:17am On Jan 19, 2022
This news is getting stale...

Meanwhile his children are ordering sit at home suffering themselves anyhow
Smh

7 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2022
It's only a fool who will believe NK would be released anytime soon,under PMB regime.Bubu is a python that never lets its prey go till it has constricted it to death.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Ficeo(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2022
God is with you, Amen!

1 Like

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by ugodson(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2022
The plan is to keep nnamdi in prison till after the 2023 election.

8 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Dimejimichael(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2022
FG just they carry Kanu Handicap 2���

Make them give the man fair trial jooor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Bunnatex(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2022
Let's watch how this plays out
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by brainpulse: 7:19am On Jan 19, 2022
Better for him.

The pikin wey talk say him baba no go sleep, na him no go touch sleep at all

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by southsouthking(m): 7:19am On Jan 19, 2022
We need referendum.
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2022
It's only a fool who will believe NK would be released anytime soon. Bubu is a python that never lets its prey go till it has constricted it to death

4 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Omniman(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2022
shocked
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Edusouls(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2022
Weldone Nigeria secure the wild animal tight in the cage, I cursed this lunatic when he started threatening and killing fellow igbos, still u see some animals defending him..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by PassingShot(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2022
“The frail-looking defendant standing in the dock there has not been allowed to access his family as directed by this Honourable Court.

A pathetic Liar cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Classicalman(m): 7:20am On Jan 19, 2022
Delay tactics by the Buhari Junta. Malami is playing games with Nigerians
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by bangging(m): 7:21am On Jan 19, 2022
sad
this guy is really tormenting the FG..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by seunlayi(m): 7:21am On Jan 19, 2022
No shaking, all these charges will soon be a thing of the past when those charging him will be ashamed of the past. The Storm will surely past

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:22am On Jan 19, 2022
Why is the Nigerian government so afraid of this man? They know they have nothing against him, that's why they keep coming up with frivolous reasons to keep extending his trial.
Well, Nelson Mandela did 27 years in prison but was still victorious at the end

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by mooremoney(m): 7:22am On Jan 19, 2022
Buhari is a terrorist simple

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:22am On Jan 19, 2022
Amuluonyenaego:
Weda Binta or Dinta (hunter) likes it or not she no fit kill kanu, she can only suffer his flesh but she no fit kill am. Oji ife nwata welie aka elu, aka lobe ya ilo owetue ya n'ala............. Chukwuokike abiama is at work.
Stay there and be talking nonsense. To make people like him a vegetable is very easy. Maybe you have not heard that inmates get infected with brain disease where no trace of foul play will be detected.

5 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by Edusouls(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2022
U don’t get it in nairaland, go and join ESN Carry gun and fight for it, soldiers would waste you then referendum comes in the grave, no go find work..
southsouthking:
We need referendum.

9 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2022
bangging:
this guy is really tormenting the FG..

Abi FG is Tormenting him

9 Likes

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by seunlayi(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2022
wink

Last last, Kanu will still walk free on our streets before this current set of jss1 students finish their Junior Secondary final exams. Take it or leave it

wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by joviegghead: 7:23am On Jan 19, 2022
Mm
Re: Fresh Treason Charges Force Shift Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial by herbsisgood: 7:24am On Jan 19, 2022
I almost forgot that today is the 19th of January that the case was adjourned to. I was thinking it's tomorrow oooo( Thursday)

Anyway I have herbal medicine that cures any type of infection including staphylococcus. It's very effective. I can tell you that again and again because I prepared it by myself. Check my signature if you have need for us to discuss further.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Ijaw National Congress Unanimously Endorse Peter Obi For President / Bianca Ojukwu Appointed Ambassador To Spain / Just In: 469 Support Groups Threaten To Dump Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.