Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? (3101 Views)

5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) / WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? / The True Identity Of The Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by maclatunji: 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2011
I know this from experience, so what is the problem? I know it is very ridiculous and it should stop!
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by tpia5: 1:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
and why are you looking for salt at night?

the only thing you're supposed to be buying at a late hour is suya.

get with the program.
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by maclatunji: 1:41pm On Jun 20, 2011
tpia@:

and why are you looking for salt at night?

the only thing you're supposed to be buying at a late hour is suya.

get with the program.

The program is not worth it. I should be able to buy salt whenever I like!
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by tpia5: 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2011
keep looking then.
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by maclatunji: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2011
Of course I can get it from Ibo traders but the essence of this thread is to find-out why Yoruba will not sell salt at night , I think there is no cogent reason for this other than superstition.
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by Oluschenco(m): 9:02pm On Jun 20, 2011
Beta cal it 'nkan obe'
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by tpia5: 9:08pm On Jun 20, 2011
i think i've heard of this before but cant remember the reason why.
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by zayhal(f): 8:06am On Jun 21, 2011
Even if you call it 'iyo' at anytime of the day, some may not sell it to you except you say 'isebe'. The superstitous belief is that 'iyo' means 'joy' or 'happiness' and they can't sell their happiness to you. LOL.

But I didn't know some don't sell at night. Maybe because I've not had reason to go looking for salt at night.
Re: Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? by maclatunji: 9:19am On Jun 21, 2011
zayhal:

Even if you call it 'iyo' at anytime of the day, some may not sell it to you except you say 'isebe'. The superstitous belief is that 'iyo' means 'joy' or 'happiness' and they can't sell their happiness to you. LOL.

But I didn't know some don't sell at night. Maybe because I've not had reason to go looking for salt at night.

Actually, many of them will still sell it to you if you call it "Isebe" at night. So much superstition and hypocrisy. I have also noticed the same of palm oil. Most Yourubas won't sell you palm oil at night.

(1) (Reply)

Are Somalis Black? / Somali Genetics / The Lengend Of Igala History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.