Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? (34899 Views)

Power Is Becoming Cheap:The 13 Fastest Cars Under $50,000 / How Reliable Is Nissan Almera And Nissan Primera / How Reliable Is Nissan Pathfinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by lastpage: 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2011
I've checked a few foreign sites (different countries and continents) and when l do a conversion to naira, the advertised sale price for 2005 Nissan Murano comes down to #1.4Million [/b]so, nothing to worry about!
That's just its second value. smiley

[b]We seem to have a misplaced sense of value which says that "Unless its very expensive, it has to be Bad"!
angry
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 9:42pm On Jun 21, 2011
@ Lastpage
Im not a car dealer but the prices youve seen are not inclusive of shipping and clearing costs to Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by bimbo16: 9:48pm On Jun 21, 2011
BECAUS OF WORKMANSHIP
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
sandee575:

@ Lastpage
Im not a car dealer but the prices youve seen are not inclusive of shipping and clearing costs to Nigeria.

The prices that are "allegedly" crashing are the Nigerian used not the Tokunbo ones and therefore require no additional "shipping and clearing costs." So if a used one abroad costs 1.4m, and it's the same here now for a used one, then as Lastpage reasons, that's just the second-hand value of the car locally. After all if you were to resell the Nigerian used abroad (lol) the cost value would increase as the importer there would have to add shipping costs, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 11:30pm On Jun 21, 2011
The prices that are "allegedly" crashing are the Nigerian used not the Tokunbo ones and therefore require no additional "shipping and clearing costs." So if a used one abroad costs 1.4m, and it's the same here now for a used one, then as Lastpage reasons, that's just the second-hand value of the car locally. After all if you were to resell the Nigerian used abroad (lol) the cost value would increase as the importer there would have to add shipping costs, etc.

Almost all Muranos come into Nigeria as Tokunbos. So the term "Nigerian used " is just as good as saying used here after serving abroad. A foreign used at 1.4m has much more value than that which has been used there and here in spite of the same price tag that they carry. No Murano can leave our shores to be sold
there, ultimately we have to consider the fact that bringing the same Murano here will attract the shipping, clearing and the profit to be made from the sale.
Hence, we cannot make such direct comparisons. Why they are going for that same price here is because they are "vegetables" having suffered from mis-use.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 22, 2011
@sandee575, yeah I guess I see your point. But has the Murano gone to such low levels? Just wondering;I don't own one, nor am I a fan of any SUV for that matter.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Siga: 2:58am On Jun 22, 2011
From wat I heard from both owners and mechanics ( not Naija Mecho ooo) is that the transmission is too fragile and has issues all the time, plus the sensors on the SUV are very bad, so, its very faulty, U cant just ignore any lights on it like Hondas,
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by koyaabj: 8:26am On Jun 22, 2011
All SUV,S & salloon vehicles from 2005 upward has sensor problem, i have a lexus 07 that has been with the mech since 2010 it has gone round all mech workshops and even the corporate mech, no solution, the problem is with our roads and maintenance, imagine the only time i travelled from abuja to lagos with my murano when i returned i have to change three engine seats, and this is a vehicle that i have been driving round abuja for more than one year without any complaint. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by mastro: 8:59am On Jun 22, 2011
Well as I've mentioned on another thread, I still see regularly a 2004 Murano that has been in Naija all that time is is still running with no major problems, it does however have a long standing tyre sensor problem, which is simply ignored but apart from that nothing major.

I believe that 90% of the issues people have with cars here in Nigeria is maintenance, the above quoted examples of people putting gearbox oil into a CVT box is a good example, the fact that most mecho's don't actually know what they are doing + the substandard parts used = plenty expense and wahala.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 9:35am On Jun 22, 2011
@ Costee
I own a 2004 Murano and ive not had any issues so far during my one year of using it but i attribute this to my
fair knowledge of motor vehicles and constant research into its maintenance dos and donts via the internet. Our
local mechanics have absolutely no clue, some of the so-called Nissan franchise mechanics are just as bad and i
actually found myself putting them through some know-how during my inevitable contact with them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by ibgreatman: 9:58am On Jun 22, 2011
gud morni every body,glo free calls is here again for more info just flash 08072740879 available to only glo numbers
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by ibgreatman: 10:05am On Jun 22, 2011
gud morni every body,glo free calls is here again for more info just flash 08072740879 available to only glo numbers
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 22, 2011
sandee575:

@ Costee
I own a 2004 Murano and ive not had any issues so far during my one year of using it but i attribute this to my
fair knowledge of motor vehicles and constant research into its maintenance dos and donts via the internet. Our
local mechanics have absolutely no clue, some of the so-called Nissan franchise mechanics are just as bad and i
actually found myself putting them through some know-how during my inevitable contact with them.

Bull's eye! I've found myself in a similar situation and I've had to instruct my mechanics on how to handle things in my 06 Nissan Maxima. The easiest way to get into trouble with these cars is to ignore the recommended fluids for the transmission. On the recommended fluids for the various models I've sent a post on:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-696130.0.html
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:26am On Jun 22, 2011
personally i think muranos are highly overated.

too much hype and no real substance! grin
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2011
Warri, Nigeria.

too much hype and no real substance!

Whats the problem?
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by otiigba1(m): 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2011
George_D:

too much hype and no real substance! grin
you are right i agree, every body wants to own one for some reason, try lexus RX 300 one of the best suv's ever or mercedec 4 MATIC 450 fantastico!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 22, 2011
oti-igba:

But Bro, i sold my first Fx45 for 1.5m, just used it for only 4 months, sometimes things do make u to sell it at just any price
i dont beleif you! did you steal it? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked!!!

[/color]

[color=#000099]If u read my second post, u will see the reason why i sold it for that amount, then i dont even know about Car Auctions here
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
sandee575:

Warri, Nigeria.

Whats the problem?

well, exactly the reason which oti-gba gave: crowd mentality - everybody wants to own one
irrespective of the less than stellar track record of this particular model.

do they even do online research at all these days?
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 7:36pm On Jun 22, 2011
@ George D.
well, exactly the reason which oti-gba gave: crowd mentality - everybody wants to own one
irrespective of the less than stellar track record of this particular model.

do they even do online research at all these days? 

The first thing about the Murano appeal is the look. Ive not seen any mid SUV with a sexier look.
The curves are great, styling is posh, appeal is total.
Second is the car like handling unlike its contemporaries eg: the Honda Pilot and Mitsubishi Freelander.
Performance is great. 3.5 litres powering that light weight. Acceleration is a thrill. Then the innovative Continuous
Variable Timing automatic gear. Last is affordability. It doesnt come at the same price as the "heavies"eg:
Lexus RX 300, Mercedes 450 Fantasticolation  grin grin
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:36pm On Jun 23, 2011
sandee575,
other brands also do have cvt in their line up but are still more rugged and reliable
than the murano.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 1:11pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ George D
Yeah, but CVT was not the only reason i gave why people love the Murano.
"People" should actually be exclusively ladies though. Its a woman's vehicle.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2011
sandee575,
i'm not sure most women can cope with the stress of a constantly failing gearbox.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sandee575(f): 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ George D
You certainly dont wish to give up. Happy motoring.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Middleman: 12:12am On Jun 29, 2011
ibgreatman:

i guess this is one of those scams where u flash the number and your credit zaps/ i am a bit curious to try it and see if its true. i will when i have just 5naira on my phone
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by cheks92: 3:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
koyaabj: Murano are good cars if only u can maintain them according to specifications, the gear oil cost about =N= 30,000.00 naira and should be serviced from time to time, also the cheapest morano which is asia spec can't be less than 2.5m, top of the range american spec 2005-7 can't be less than 3.m-3.5m, except for stolen cars or nija used. i own one since 2009 and i have not changed the gear till date infact the engine has never been opened by any mechanic yet i drive the vehicle almost everyday if u do travel outside this shore ask any body about morano and u will be surprised that it is one of the best vehicles and very durable. cool grin cheesy shocked
i think u have a point here
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by kuntash: 8:09am On Nov 02, 2012
@Fhemmmy

I understand why your comments about selling some vehicles at prices you would supposedly consider as ridiculous is purely because maybe you do sell cars here on Nairaland, you should not use the phrases like "its impossible to sell whatever @ whatever price"

I have said repeatedly on this nairaland forum , its not all vehicles that must be sold by a dealer all over the world, there are times real owners sell off their vehicles at somewhat ridiculous prices, and sometimes you guys come across such bargains but ofcourse never pray to resell thus...

allowing a free flow of market is the best thing that could happen to man.... whether you like it or not, your comment and intent it potrays is that of a sect in a biz that always want prices to be in their favour regardless the end users... (THATS THE REAL DEFINITION OF A CABAL) . Tomatoes seller, Onions seller, Pure water seller, Meat seller, even the mallams selling water, are all guilty of this... e no good!!

I thank the admin team of this auto forum very much in finally giving a platform to discuss auto issues aside Sell! sell!! sell!!!

thanks Seun and team!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by sultaan(m): 3:11pm On Nov 03, 2012
Remember the Nigerian economy was built by the British with control of what is available in the market and price using trade companies and pricing.

Cars are expensive in Nigeria now because these gov interest trade groups that import too decide there should be a high tariff on others to protect their market.Do you think Elizade, Coscharis, Peugeot etc pay as much duty as small dealers.

how many times has the law that protects the expired or come up for debate in the house(never) all a dealer needs is a waiver from the president/minister with a backup phone call.

The reason Murano is cheap is more of service related issue.

Once in a while manufacturers develop this next generation technologies that require special fluids or service items that we donot perform for example earlier Hondas like Halla/bulldog use DexIII simple, lasts; but they changed transmission in EOD to something stronger in the V6 and Odyssey so owners don't know it should be serviced ~ every year with atf-Z1 only sold buy honda dealers.So they buy used car use it for 2 years gear dying/dies sell off cheap.
Same with the VW/Audi Turbo engines using 4 litres of 20W50 instead of 7 litres of maybe 5W30 turbo burns out no thermostat sludge builds up engine die.Nissan CVT service is the weakness here. Range Rovers also have the air ride problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by runbeni(m): 4:43pm On Jul 06, 2016
well nissan murano is he sexiest SUV ever and I like it...seeing it on jiji for 1million and i.1million really got me thinking cos most SUV goes from 2m upwards. I'm suprised. and they are fresh and clean. he told me eerything is ok with d car sha. but I dey fear.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2016
Lol..feel same way too
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by areolae: 12:55pm On Jan 10, 2017
my guy i dey tell u. I v been seeing 1 million, even 900k Nissan Murano these days on jiji and olx. Something has to be fishy coz i no understand.
Re: Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? by Ivobobul: 12:52pm On Jan 17, 2017
areolae:
my guy i dey tell u. I v been seeing 1 million, even 900k Nissan Murano these days on jiji and olx. Something has to be fishy coz i no understand.
Good luck with your purchase smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

American And Japanese Camry Which Is Better? / Flying Cars Are Now Imminent As Researchers Finally Hit A Major Breakthrough / Lamborghini Owner Breaks Huracan's Windscreen While Showing Off His Supercar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.