Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,860 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:01 AM

Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees (6077 Views)

Okorocha Invests Innoson As IMSU Chancellor (pics) / Shekarau Meets Commissioners Over Extension Of School Holiday (Ebola Prevention) / OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Chyz2: 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2011
[size=15pt]Okorocha orders refund of school fees[/size]•Assembly backs gov on reforms

From FRANCIS AWOWOLE-BROWNE, Abuja

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Governor of Imo State, Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha has directed that his free education programme for primary and secondary schools in the state begins with immediate effect.

[b]The governor, who is expected to swear-in the newly appointed commissioners, acting chairman, Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers and three others, said those who had paid for the current school year to report to their principals/headmasters for refund of such fees.

He also ordered principals, teachers and staff of the state school system to immediately stop collecting fees/levies from students.

The governor equally directed that the N150,000 tuition fees paid by students of the state-owned university be reversed to the old fee structure.[/b]Giving the directives over the weekend, the governor stated that unlike the former directive, he wanted the free education already declared to commence from the day he was sworn in as the 14th governor of the state.

Owelle Okorocha, who made these remarks while receiving some federal legislators at the Government House, Owerri, restated that education was compulsory in the state and that non-compliance would attract punishment for parents and guardians.

While congratulating the Deputy Speaker, Emeka Ihedioha on his emergence, Owelle Okorocha, who insisted that his administration was about the general good of the state and not party affiliations called on all elected public officials to shun party differences and pursue common goals in the state.

He revealed that he would convene a forum for both those that won and lost the 2011 elections to seek common front to reduce distractions through unnecessary court cases.

The governor reminded the federal legislators of their primary role in addressing certain germane issues of their constituencies including roads construction, erosion menace, second Niger Bridge, among others, expatiating further that their performance and connection with their respective constituencies would ensure their continuity in rendering quality legislative service to the people.

Okorocha maintained that the legislators must sustain peace and unity of the Nigerian state through close cooperation irrespective of the geographical divisions of the country, asserting that he was a firm believer in “one Nigeria”.

Earlier in a speech, Ihedioha who led the legislators said they were on the courtesy call to extend the goodwill of the House of Representatives to the governor.

He agreed that there was need for a positive synergy between the state government and the national house to deliver the much wanted dividends of democracy and pledged to work cordially with the government.

In his own contribution, Senator Osita Izunaso expressed the belief that the vexed issues of dichotomy between the Abuja and state politicians were over, pointing out that with the Okorocha administration, there would be beneficial cooperation between the groups.

In a vote of thanks by Ogbuefi Ozomgbachi, he stressed the importance of active synergy between the arms of government for the benefit of the people.

In the team were legislators from Enugu, Anambra, Ebony, Imo and Benue states.
Meanwhile, the state House of Assembly has commended the governor for being in tune with the hopes and aspirations of Imo civil servants as typified in the prompt response to the payment of salary arrears owed by the past administration.

A resolution dated June 15, signed by the Clerk of the Imo State House of Assembly, Mr. Chris Duru, stated that Resolution 351 was passed by the House during its sitting on Tuesday, June 14.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/june/21/national-21-06-2011-004.html
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by EzeUche1(m): 3:05pm On Jun 21, 2011
A man with a vision. cool
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by gidson12(m): 3:38pm On Jun 21, 2011
certainly a man of Action
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by ezeagu(m): 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
Serious.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by feelamong(m): 4:11pm On Jun 21, 2011
I HOPE JONATHAN GOODLUCK IS WATCHING THIS!!

BALLLESSS, CLUELESS GEJ!
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by emekagh(m): 4:14pm On Jun 21, 2011
Looks like my Presidential Candidate for 2015 is gradually emerging. Too early though, I have to keep an eye on this man of action.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by rolchi(m): 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2011
Yes, Free Education indeed, It was a tactical error to order a refund! As for IMSU, let him prepare to graduate half baked students!

This is a political statement and political action, he has not told us how he intends to sustain this free education. Slashing Security Vote is not enough. How about the infrastructures in these schools. How will IMSU get money to be a real university and not a glorified secondary school? IMSU till date is still on the temp. site and RAO is being political about this.

I fear for RAO and Imo.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by feelamong(m): 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2011
U guys underestimate the amount of money that is lost through corrupt govt officials daily.

Once Rochas put in place people and machinery for the good of the imolites, I don’t think getting the money to run these schools would be a problem.

The fact remains that a lot of things would have to be commercialized but these benefits would be felt only when the right people with the right attitude have been empowered to work.

If they look inwards, am sure Imo would generate enough for the peoples need and not for a few people’s greed
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Chyz2: 4:56pm On Jun 21, 2011
rolchi:

Yes, Free Education indeed, It was a tactical error to order a refund! As for IMSU, let him prepare to graduate half baked students!

This is a political statement and political action, he has not told us how he intends to sustain this free education. Slashing Security Vote is not enough. How about the infrastructures in these schools. How will IMSU get money to be a real university and not a glorified secondary school? IMSU till date is still on the temp. site and RAO is being political about this.

I fear for RAO and Imo.

I think you mean it was a tactical move to order the refund. If he annouces free education is now in full effect, those who were not able to afford an education will register for school while those who were fortunate enough to have the money to pay the fee would feel cheated and their parents cause noise. It's only common sense.

About telling how he plans to extend free education, if a greater percentage of the buget is going towards education then um. . .yea> Also, security votes is definitely not the only thing he slashed. You should search Okorocha articles in the search bar and see for yourself.

About IMSU and its status, money is being squandered by officials, pointblank. Has nothing to do with paying N150,000 or not. The students should not have had to pay that much in the first place since salaries in the state were never increased in the first place.

STOP AND THINK. Let the man prove himself.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by jason123: 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2011
Nice one Rochas!!!
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by 9dynasty(m): 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2011
@topic-now thats what i'm talking about-ACTION
rolchi:

I fear for RAO and Imo.

o bobs weytin you dey reason now, you know how much each state dey get yearly for allocation-if a governor know im work weytin be school fees
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by 190: 7:33pm On Jun 21, 2011
[size=13pt]OKOROCHA IS FROM CAMEROON

HE USED TO BE MY JUNIOR IN SCHOOL SOMETIME AROUND 2004
[/size]
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by chamber2(m): 7:43pm On Jun 21, 2011
OKOROCHA IS FROM CAMEROON

HE USED TO BE MY JUNIOR IN SCHOOL SOMETIME AROUND 2004

So you don't want to quit drinking?You better do.

This is a political statement and political action, he has not told us how he intends to sustain this free education.

You must be dumb.Yes, you are.Did you know how much money Ohakim spent on building a golf court, helicopter termac etc in his compound?That money is enough to sustain free education even upto PhD level.

Rochas carry on.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by 190: 7:49pm On Jun 21, 2011
chamber2:

So you don't want to quit drinking?You better do.

I drank water

does water make some high
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by vicenzo(m): 7:52pm On Jun 21, 2011
Okorocha is the man,he will make nigerians to see how rich nigeria is,we have been blinded by our corrupt leaders that we don't know how rich our country is,all the corrupt state governors will be angry because okorocha is spoiling the show for them.For those of you wondering how okorocha is going to reduce school fees and maintain quality,just watch and see,the show just started.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Emperoh(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2011
The insincerity of past governments not withstanding, i doubt the workability of this directive
Not for anything but because i believe we are not doing it right.

Let's assume he has the money to properly cater for this venture and then does really sustain it.
Why not collect these fees and then use the money to upgrade ailing facilities and build non-existent facilities in these schools? This way, the school is up to date and then children get to learn better.

There is nowhere in the world quality education is free. Worse still in a country like Nigeria where we like to abuse any free venture, i am the least impressed by this. The saddest part of it is the state owned University.
Does the free education equally include non-indegenes?

How then does Rochas intend to build a research based institution of modern discoveries which is what Universities are meant to be? Is there any plan to fund research and development which these institutions are meant to champion? This is further promoting the ideology of our institutions being mere theoretical learning centres. theories that are not even properly thought i dare say.

What i suggest is sustaining the fees especially secondary and tertiary level. If the government is rich enough to sustain these free education, use the monies collected from fees to improve educational infrastructure and support research and development or encourage those willing to discover or that have discovered new things.

Free Education? It is not the best. Maybe till primary education!!!
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Roland17(m): 8:15pm On Jun 21, 2011
great zeal to serve is reflected here, not like the lame man at the top, who was obviously forced to serve,
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by foward1212(m): 8:18pm On Jun 21, 2011
He is an example of a true leader, a postive hope of good leadership in nigeria, this shows that God loves Nigeria, and that we have hope.

We look foward to many more leaders like him.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Gbenge77(m): 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2011
Well done Mr governor.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 21, 2011
Okorocha's willingness to do good is not in doubt but only time will tell how sustainable these pronouncements are.

After 1year in office we will balance the books and see how much deficit he will incure. These pronouncements are very easy to make, the hard bit will be how to pay for them.

Outright welfarist policies will not work in the SouthEast because SouthEast SMEs will reject the kind of tax and spend policies seen in  Lagos.

And I don't think Okorocha needs a Political Strategist to tell him the implication of raising any form of taxes in a capitalist oriented South-East.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by mallorca(m): 8:29pm On Jun 21, 2011
welldone Owelle Rochas Okorocha
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by mekuzoil(m): 8:34pm On Jun 21, 2011
Now am beginning to wish ABIA  was still part of IMO, it appears the more IMO improves, the more ABIA detoriates, OH GOD, help ur own state,Amen.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Oscillation(m): 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2011
With ube scheme rochas can run standard school with spending a dime of state treasury. Imo state have'nt utilise their money for the year 2010. Some Nigerians can quit complaining even when everything is bequeathed to them. Detractors let rochas be!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by maddock(m): 8:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
Looking at some of our remarks here, its no surprise that we Nigerians are the cause of our problems so so pessimistic. Some of us here are wishing and praying that Okorocha fails so as to justify their warped way of reasoning.When school fees was hiked what developments did we see in the schools? Our line of reasoning is that Owelle should succeed so that other states can start holding their governors responsible for these things that people think are impossible to do.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by IbegbuPI: 9:01pm On Jun 21, 2011
It is not the zeal that matters but the WILL. It is not 13-point agenda that elicits success but the focused agenda.

Okorocha will succeed because he knows the meaning of serving people. He has always dreamt of playing in this court of servant leaders, now he has the opportunity he thought was not coming. Thanks to credible poll, that was nearly undermined.

Guys, you don't need money to create money. All you need is asset: functional brains, motivating needs, and peaceful critics.

Rochas is in a haste to prove a point: that his philanthropy is no fluke, that he has innate concern to reduce suffering. He needs this moment to prove that he can drive the pedal, no matter the constraints.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by jumobi1(m): 9:02pm On Jun 21, 2011
Oscillation:

With ube scheme rochas can run standard school with spending a dime of state treasury. Imo state have'nt utilise their money for the year 2010. Some Nigerians can quit complaining even when everything is bequeathed to them. Detractors let rochas be!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Didn't Rochas say Imo is bankrupt? Free education is ideal but i just don't believe its realistic. They will need funds from charity/UN to afford this plan. Rochas means well but Rochas is just one man. Rome wasn't built in a day. Reduction in school fees/financial aid was a better option for a state like Imo.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by paulo882: 9:02pm On Jun 21, 2011
Emperoh:

The insincerity of past governments not withstanding, i doubt the workability of this directive
Not for anything but because i believe we are not doing it right.

Let's assume he has the money to properly cater for this venture and then does really sustain it.
Why not collect these fees and then use the money to upgrade ailing facilities and build non-existent facilities in these schools? This way, the school is up to date and then children get to learn better.

There is nowhere in the world quality education is free. Worse still in a country like Nigeria where we like to abuse any free venture, i am the least impressed by this. The saddest part of it is the state owned University.
Does the free education equally include non-indegenes?

How then does Rochas intend to build a research based institution of modern discoveries which is what Universities are meant to be? Is there any plan to fund research and development which these institutions are meant to champion? This is further promoting the ideology of our institutions being mere theoretical learning centres. theories that are not even properly thought i dare say.

What i suggest is sustaining the fees especially secondary and tertiary level. If the government is rich enough to sustain these free education, use the monies collected from fees to improve educational infrastructure and support research and development or encourage those willing to discover or that have discovered new things.

Free Education? It is not the best. Maybe till primary education!!!

@at the bolded statement, my friend will you shut up ! go and do your research well. Most Scandinavia countries don't pay any tuition up to university level and also only this year did they start charging foreign students tuition in those countries, but education for locals and EU nationals still remain free. Why can't we have such in Imo state and entire Nigeria ? You ppl are so blind not to see that the money looted away by politicians is enough to fund free high quality education in this country and we will still more than enough for infrastructure and other things.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jun 21, 2011
maddock:

Looking at some of our remarks here, its no surprise that we Nigerians are the cause of our problems so so pessimistic. Some of us here are wishing and praying that Okorocha fails so as to justify their warped way of reasoning.When school fees was hiked what developments did we see in the schools? Our line of reasoning is that Owelle should succeed so that other states can start holding their governors responsible for these things that people think are impossible to do.

There is nothing wrong to revert University Fees to what they were.

But the decision to order refund of fees that have already been paid raises an alarm. You will not understand because most of you react to emotions.

But the Governor really has to be careful, running a successful charity foundation is different from running the treasury of a State. And any grown up person who understands the meaning of Fiscal Responsibility will certainly keep their fingers crossed when Rochas makes some of these pronouncements.

We all want Rochas to succeed, as an Indigene of Imo State nothing can be better than have Rochas succeed. But we just need to be careful before we all get carried away.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by jumobi1(m): 9:20pm On Jun 21, 2011
paulo882:

@at the bolded statement, my friend will you shut up ! go and do your research well. Most Scandinavia countries don't pay any tuition up to university level and also only this year did they start charging foreign students tuition in those countries, but education for locals and EU nationals still remain free. Why can't we have such in Imo state and entire Nigeria ? You ppl are so blind not to see that[b] the money looted away by politicians is enough to fund free high quality education in this country and we will still more than enough for infrastructure and other things.[/b]

We all know that. Do u think looting ends with this new regime? It doesn't. It may slow down but it will NOT stop. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by chamber2(m): 9:28pm On Jun 21, 2011

But the Governor really has to be careful, running a successful charity foundation is different from running the treasury of a State. And any grown up person who understands the meaning of Fiscal Responsibility will certainly keep their fingers crossed when Rochas makes some of these pronouncements.

Fiscal Responsibility indeed.What has he done or said that the current financial status of the state cannot sustain?Provision of free education and affordable education is the utmost responsibility of the state, and the governor's pronouncement in that regard is a clear demonstration of commitment, empathy and determination to ensure that Imo citizens get the best.Since education is the main business of the state, making it free and affordable is commendable.

Asking for fee refund is also a wise decision.What happens to those who are yet to pay their fees?Will they still be required to pay when the state had already declared free education?
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by darknouiui: 9:34pm On Jun 21, 2011
Re: Okorocha Orders Refund Of School Fees by Basseti: 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2011
I hope these pronouncements are backed by some serious and practical reforms to make it work.

Its one thing to make pronouncements like that to garner political capital, its a different thing to see it to a successful fruition given the economic realities on ground.

I hope this does not lead to more depreciation of an already depreciated educational system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masters, PhD Admission In Canada And In The United States / Masters In International Law And Diplomacy / Waec Releases 2009/2010 Wassce/gce November/december Examination Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.