Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,629 members, 7,801,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) (8352 Views)

Offloading Of Dollars Triggers Massive Naira Appreciation At Parallel Market / Pls Is Shipping Okrika In Container From Uk To Nigeria Banned ? / Imported Goods In Container Sales For A Very Attractive Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Mcfemad(m): 5:36pm On Jun 21, 2011
During inspection, the officials uncover $110, 000, a car, and other items in the cargo from US
Article | June 21, 2011 - 9:33am | By Valerie Anofochi

A container containing $110,000.60 (about N15 million) has been intercepted by customs officials at the Tin-Can Island and the agent attempting to clear the cargo arrested.

The container, with number MSKU 966291/0 which was brought in a marine vessel, sailed in from the United States of America. The cash was discovered during customs examination.

The Customs Area Comptroller, Austen Warikoru, confirmed the discovery. According to him, the container also contained a Honda Pilot car with other personal effects. He said the money was too large to have been brought in through a container, and should have been brought in through a more transparent means.

He said the method of transferring the money was against the Money Laundering Act, adding that as soon as customs concludes its investigation, the suspect and the money will be handed over to the appropriate authorities.

Meanwhile, the importer of the money has been traced to Festac and customs officials are currently on his trail.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/customs-discover-sack-dollars-container
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by seanet02: 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2011
Na my money o. Abeg post am to my texas home
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by jumobi1(m): 6:18pm On Jun 21, 2011
If I was that customs officer, no one would discover i discovered a discovery.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by solihu(m): 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2011
^ Its another thing to be crooked, but admitting it publicly becomes worrisome to any sane individual. Bro please have a rethink. No offence.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by jumobi1(m): 8:53pm On Jun 21, 2011
^dry.
I'm a rational man.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by 9dynasty(m): 9:31pm On Jun 21, 2011
jumobi1:

professor jumobi1-if to say i be woman i for ready be your second wife you correct wella for that post-pikin wen sabi
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by brosd2: 11:46pm On Jun 21, 2011
Impressive!
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by violent(m): 5:51am On Jun 22, 2011
jumobi1:

haha, nice one grin
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by AbuMaryam1(m): 6:59am On Jun 22, 2011
But why this ant? Even if its a stolen money the owner has no brain at all, i pity him. You may know how to steal but securing is another thing that need a brain.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Abayomin70(m): 11:38am On Jun 22, 2011
if am done no one will no say i see am
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by 190: 11:39am On Jun 22, 2011
but why wud they sneak it in

drugs oo drugs
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 22, 2011
solihu:

^ Its another thing to be crooked, but admitting it publicly becomes worrisome to any sane individual. Bro please have a rethink. No offence.
grin grin grin
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by mallorca(m): 11:42am On Jun 22, 2011
jumobi1:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by PurestBoy(m): 11:44am On Jun 22, 2011
[size=13pt]I'm sure they will exert their energy more on this than Bankole's trial, Shior[/size]
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Azikiwe86: 11:52am On Jun 22, 2011
Please, lets not have a song and dance about this!!! what is the big deal?? so you are finally doing your job and you want to make it world news?! please do not insult my intelligence neither higher my expectation!! more money and more contraband have come into Nigeria through many other routes. What is most surpising is that the money was not shared between custom officers!!

I STILL HAVE FAITH IN A BETTER NIGERIA!!

A MUST READ---------->>>Think Africa Press: Nigeria Weekly News SUMMARIZED analysis all in one place, Written by Lagun Akinloye

(http://thinkafricapress.com/blog/week-nigeria-0)
(http://thinkafricapress.com/blog/week-nigeria-0)
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by maxproxl: 11:55am On Jun 22, 2011
simply shows how desperate some Nigerians could be, the big question is, was that the actual amount found and who gets the dollars after all their investigation.  the custom boss or his subordinates
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Golfer: 11:58am On Jun 22, 2011
The fools, that money was most likely a decoy.

They also probably had a tip off from the conspirators.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 22, 2011
I would like to commend the customs officials at Tin Can Island port.
The customs are doing a good job considering the constraints under which they operate.
Poor salary,no good operational vehicles,delapidated barracks,and multiple footpaths along our ill defined borders.
I am talking about the junior officers and the middle cadre officers and not the fat cats at the top.
Once again kudos for a job well done!
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by nanidee2(f): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2011
jumobi1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by rhymaholic: 12:33pm On Jun 22, 2011
story story story, na wetin dem want make we believe undecided
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by andyanders: 12:40pm On Jun 22, 2011
This is bulshiiiit. How much is 110,000? That is small amount of money. I can even give out that over the counter. Let me say it out here; If the customs declared that $110,000 was brought in illegally, then, that must have been about $1,100,000.Million dollars. Nobody can just hide only $110,000 in a container. What stopped the person from sending that money through any other means like money gram and then come back to pick his money. The customs has something to hide. Not Nigerian customs men. Not in this world will they convince me that they intercepted that amount alone. They must have stolen 1 million dollars and declared 110,000
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by docjuli(m): 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2011
andyanders:

This is bulshiiiit. How much is 110,000? That is small amount of money. I can even give out that over the counter. Let me say it out here; If the customs declared that $110,000 was brought in illegally, then, that must have been about $1,100,000.Million dollars. Nobody can just hide only $110,000 in a container. What stopped the person from sending that money through any other means like money gram and then come back to pick his money. The customs has something to hide. Not Nigerian customs men. Not in this world will they convince me that they intercepted that amount alone. They must have stolen 1 million dollars and declared 110,000

Abi?
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by gidson12(m): 1:10pm On Jun 22, 2011
andyanders:

i feel ya bro, unles the custom officer is either a jehovah's witness or deeper life member
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by daroz(m): 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2011
Richvkunt:

The customs are doing a good job considering the constraints under which they operate.
Poor salary,no good operational vehicles,delapidated barracks,and multiple footpaths along our ill defined borders.
I am talking about the junior officers and the middle cadre officers and not the fat cats at the top.

Which custom officer are you talking about? Nigerian custom? You must be a comedian, cos as far as i know, nigeria custom are the biggest thief in this country.

andyanders:

God bless u my brother
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by jerryben12: 1:48pm On Jun 22, 2011
The owner dey craze! Trying to avoid western union fees and ending up in the jungle.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
daroz:

Which custom officer are you talking about? Nigerian custom? You must be a comedian, cos as far as i know, nigeria custom are the biggest thief in this country.

I disagree.
Most of them are actually honest and very poor.
Most of those who are dishonest are made to commit these crimes by the fat cat ogas at the top.
The other percentage that are corrupt are made so by the members of the society who refuse to pay the taxes imposed by the government.
Nigerians will abide by the law in other countries such as Benin,and Niger,but when they arrive Nigeria they will look for short cuts to circumvent the law.
If you do not pay your tax on the goods you imported as mandated by the law,you will end up being exploited by greedy customs officers.
If you smuggle in to the country prohibited goods, youopen your self to exploitation by greedy officers.
As far as I am concerned the officers at tin can Island did a good job,and we can encourage them to perform better if we praise instead of condemning them.
However you are entitled to your opinion,as I am entitled to mine,without you labelling me a comedian.Thank you.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by bigdoo: 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2011
For Nigerian customs to reveal that they discovered $110,000.00, the real amount they discovered could be up to or more than $1million.  I don't trust those money-hungry crooks one bit.  There is no way the actual amount they discovered would be disclosed to the public.
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by rumomonga(m): 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2011
maxpro-xl:

simply shows how desperate some Nigerians could be, the big question is, was that the actual amount found and who gets the dollars after all their investigation.  the custom boss or his subordinates
God bless u my broda
Richvkunt:

The customs are doing a great job,
Is this a nigerian? I pity d future of dis country.
PurestBoy:

[size=13pt]I'm sure they will exert their energy more on this than Bankole's trial, Shior[/size]
may ur days b long
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 22, 2011
rumomonga:

Is this a nigerian? I pity d future of dis country.

1.Yes I am.
2.Could you tell me why?
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 22, 2011
jumobi1:

Na so people like you dey take die. grin grin
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by rumomonga(m): 2:13pm On Jun 22, 2011
Richvkunt:

1.Yes I am.
2.Could you tell me why?
back ur claim with evidence or stop polluting d thread
Re: Customs Discover Sack Of Dollars In Container ($110,000) by rumomonga(m): 2:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
J12:

Na so people like you dey take die. grin grin
pretender, u cud av done worse, mr holier dan thou. U cannot really know what u'll do until when faced with such. Imao

(1) (2) (Reply)

ATM: Banks To Lose Millions If Transaction Fee Is Stopped / How Much To Open Ecobank Account In Nigeria / Can I Get A Loan With Survey Plan As Collateral?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.