Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,790 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice (7519 Views)

Why Is Rice Generally Cooked On Sundays? / Why Is Rice And Stew The Traditional Food For Xmas And New Year Celebration? / Why Is Rice A Must-eat On Sundays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jun 21, 2011
I came to the conclusion, after my little research, that without rice, the life of an AfricAN, cant be sweet
If he doesnt have rice for a week or two, u will knw sumthing is wrong with this man
if u want to punish an africaN, dnt give him rice for month, and he will be sick
IS RICE, africans culture in general? or we just seems to like rice?
even an average poor man, seems to have at least one bag of ric, for christmas every year
AFRICANS EQUALS TO RICE
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Natasha2(f): 10:01pm On Jun 21, 2011
huh really okay I second what you said about the Christmas thingny but as for me its beverage I can't do without
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2011
Natasha,,:

huh really okay I second what you said about the Christmas thingny but as for me its [b]beverage I can't do without [/b]
i bet u will be sick if u dnt have rice every week? undecided
ewwww, beverage? u cnt do witout it?
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Nayah(f): 10:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
Not all I'd say in West African country it's more common, in Central Africa for example in Cameroon or Angola, DRC they used to eat more plaintains and things like that
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by tpia5: 12:12am On Jun 22, 2011
my grandparents rarely ate rice.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by pleep(m): 5:32am On Jun 22, 2011
Honestly, rice is almost non-indigenous to African cusine  sad. That is why we import rice and often use rice recipies that are not unique.

However there is a native strain of African rice that was cultivated in west Africa, (Ghana I belive) African slaves intriduced rice cultivation to the u.s, but it has been neglected and  cheaper foreign rice has caused it too lose popularity.

I feel like African food is lagging behind the world undecided
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 22, 2011
pleep:

Honestly, rice is almost non-indigenous to African cusine  sad. That is why we import rice and often use rice recipies that are not unique.

However there is a native strain of African rice that was cultivated in west Africa, (Ghana I belive) African slaves intriduced rice cultivation to the u.s
, but it has been neglected and  cheaper foreign rice has caused it too lose popularity.

I feel like African food is lagging behind the world undecided
Seriously i think this is wrong, where are u born?? they plant rice in my village and cook, for chopping and selling, i myself was surprised when i saw it
u sound like sum1 who grew up in lagos, well if so i did too, but went to village for six month, and i must tell u, village people cherish their food very well.
and am from ERIN oke, Ilesha, try going to village to see things for yaself
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Natasha2(f): 7:59am On Jun 22, 2011
@pleep huh we also cultivate rice for your info.com undecided
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by pleep(m): 8:16am On Jun 22, 2011
Donlittle:

Seriously i think this is wrong, where are u born?? they plant rice in my village and cook, for chopping and selling, i myself was surprised when i saw it
u sound like sum1 who grew up in lagos, well if so i did too, but went to village for six month, and i must tell u, village people cherish their food very well.
and am from ERIN oke, Ilesha, try  going to village to see things for yaself
the u.s but from South east Nigeria. My parents, who lived in a rather remote area, always said they rarely ate rice That it was not indigenous.
I know many ancient w. African cultures cultivated rice, but what I'm saying is that it wasn't as widespread as it is now. I don't Think people ate rice much in Nigeria in say the 1800's. Of course it's possible that were my parents grew up rice wasn't as common as in the Lagos area. Anyway,  Native African rice is very gritty and unpleasant it's possible that the rice they grow in your village could be an Asian strain?

I could be wrong but It seems to be that the popularity of rice in Africa is a rather new thing. But dispite my rambling I'm not a professional lol.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:17am On Jun 22, 2011
I don't think rice is really indigenous either. I'd have to look into that.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Ibime(m): 10:23am On Jun 22, 2011
Rice is not indigenous to South Eastern Nigeria. Our ancestors only ate yam, cassava and plantain.

I never thought I could live without rice, but honest to you, I have not eaten rice (or yam or garri) this year. . . . and I am not sick.  wink
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by mukina2: 11:49am On Jun 22, 2011
pleep:

the u.s but from South east Nigeria. My parents, who lived in a rather remote area, always said they rarely ate rice That it was not indigenous.
I know many ancient w. African cultures cultivated rice, but what I'm saying is that it wasn't as widespread as it is now. I don't Think people ate rice much in Nigeria in say the 1800's. Of course it's possible that were my parents grew up rice wasn't as common as in the Lagos area. Anyway,  Native African rice is very gritty and unpleasant it's possible that the rice they grow in your village could be an Asian strain?

I could be wrong but It seems to be that the popularity of rice in Africa is a rather new thing. But dispite my rambling I'm not a professional lol.
You are wrong oh.
In most west African countries (Senegal, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania,Benin,Togo,Liberia, Mali .etc) rice is like the staple food as in people eat it daily especially for lunch .
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by tpia5: 11:51am On Jun 22, 2011
^People from one of those countries introduced rice cultivation to the US, but in nigeria rice eating wasnt widespread until recent decades.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by mukina2: 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2011
Thanks
Which is why i didn't mention Nigeria, i was not sure.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by MzOutside(f): 5:49pm On Jun 22, 2011
looooooool@ topic

asians (china,japan, india) have rice for dinner as much if not more during their life.

So why pick on the africans.

grin
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Seun(m): 11:27pm On Jun 22, 2011
It's probably because it's so cheap and easy to prepare in bulk.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Ivbade: 12:34pm On Jun 23, 2011
Hmmmmm! Funny enough my own case is different. I can eat beans 365days in a year and nothing dey happen, I don't miss rice at all.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by PeeDaVinci: 12:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
why do arabs love bread
why do europeans love anything made from flour
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by MrCork17: 12:52pm On Jun 23, 2011
I hate rice. I love bread n egg! angry
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by pepperoni(f): 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2011
Why won't africans love rice? it's another way of getting away from "The Real African Culture" of EBA, IYAN, AMALA, SEMO, LAFU, e.t.c. Geez I LOVE RICE TO A FAULT be it White + Stew, Fried(favourite tho'), jollof, ofada, e.t.c dats if der are others!
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by otokx(m): 1:41pm On Jun 23, 2011
Its easy to cook that is why.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Akanniade(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2011
Mr, Cork:

I hate rice. I love bread n egg! angry
Akebaje omo mummy. grin grin
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by aparata: 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2011
@MR CORK,hhy wouldnt u love egg when u re cork?know say na ur children wey u dey chop like that
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by hugooh42(m): 1:52pm On Jun 23, 2011
The Chinese eat rice twice a day.For lunch and dinner which amounts to 14 times a week and 56 times a month. I don't think rice is a a staple food in Nigeria.In most families in Nigeria,rice is still "Sunday Sunday" food.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by WhyAWhy(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2011
I usually don't embrace rice by default, just pass me any of Eba, amala, Iyan, Fufu with correct draw soup and plenty obstacles contesting for space , I can follow it with a steaming hot plate of beans "ro.mancing" garri. Kai, my day is complete!!!. Rice can go on vacation for as long as it wants.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by White007(m): 2:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
Ivbade:

Hmmmmm! Funny enough my own case is different. I can eat beans 365days in a year and nothing dey happen, I don't miss rice at all.

Ol boy, did you say you eat BEANS 365 days in a year? Chai na waoo! Your mess no go get level oo. grin grin
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by jerryben12: 2:34pm On Jun 23, 2011
Donlittle:

I came to the conclusion, after my little research, that without rice, the life of an AfricAN, cant be sweet
If he doesnt have rice for a week or two, u will knw sumthing is wrong with this man
if u want to punish an africaN, dnt give him rice for month, and he will be sick
IS RICE, africans culture in general? or we just seems to like rice?
even an average poor man, seems to have at least one bag of ric, for christmas every year
AFRICANS EQUALS TO RICE

I disagree! It all depends on your culture. Taking Nigeria as a case study, a typical Hausa man will have rice in almost all his meals. The Ibo man can go for months without rice. He may get it on festive days. Eba is right there for him daily. The Yoruba man is similar to the Ibo man in the choice of rice for festivity. Amala and pounded yam is the daily call for a Yoruba man.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by shagaman: 2:52pm On Jun 23, 2011
I eat rice in different forms,In the morning white rice and beans,Afternoon fit form chop chollof rice night any kind of rice is ok once no alternative.

Nigerians eat rice cos its readily available,especially wen you work on the island,
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by rubi(f): 2:53pm On Jun 23, 2011
An average Africana man is not an African man until he swallow something on daily basis ( Garri, Amala etc)
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Dgunnerz(m): 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2011
I have not eaten rice today!
Why?
OK,I need to take it as lunch.
Right Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by Spyker: 3:11pm On Jun 23, 2011
RICE is a universally accepted meal which can be taken as breakfast, lunch and even dinner. It can be served in occasions and is no longer for the rich. So, if African's love rice, what then would you say of Asians and Europeans.
For me, rice is good anyday, anytime, anyhour.
Re: Is Rice, The Real African Culture? Africans Seems To Love Rice by proffmanue(m): 3:32pm On Jun 23, 2011
Rice is not traditional to Africans, we all hv our native food.
A Yoruba man will always preface Amala our rice
U cannot separate an Hausa man from Tuwo
Apu makes an Igbo man a complete human
so rice is not really our preference, it just one of our meals

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nutritional Value Of Nigerian Food / Can Someone Teach Me How To Bake Cake? / In Pounding Yam, Skill And Strength, Which Is More Important?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.