Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:34 AM

Violence And Christianity Again! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Violence And Christianity Again! (3945 Views)

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality / 1940-2014: Nigeria, Religious Violence And Islam. / The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Violence And Christianity Again! by LagosShia: 11:24am On Jun 23, 2011
after many wars in europe,2 world wars,feudal clashes,3 infamous and disgraceful crusades,the inquisition,massacreing the jews and then planting a cancerous cell in the middle east (israel),attacking 2 muslim countries (iraq and afghanistan) and using a salafist (bin laden) to fight on their behalf against the soviets,who they later used to tarnish the image of islam and muslims,massacreing innocent people in yugoslavia,apartheid in south africa,colonization;now the religion of violence,intimidation and division is at it again.the news is they are fighting  themselves.the attrocities listed are just a few.hope those who like bashing muslims and islam,as the religion of peace,feel a little shame.

[size=18pt]Sectarian violence erupts in Belfast [/size]

Petrol bombs, fireworks and bricks are thrown during clashes in Lower Newtownards Road and Short Strand areas
Share105  Shiv Malik guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 21 June 2011 09.42 BST

Sectarian violence involving hundreds of people erupted in Belfast on Monday night, leaving two men with gunshot wounds to their legs in what police called "major disorder".

Officers said shots, petrol bombs, fireworks, bricks, stones and smoke bombs were fired as violence broke out at 9pm in the Lower Newtownards Road and Short Strand areas.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has confirmed officers fired a number of AEP or stun-grenade rounds.

Homes were attacked with paint bombs and stones and police say they are investigating a report of an attempted hijacking of a bus. One police officer was taken to hospital with an eye injury after rioters tried to blind officers with laser pens.

Sinn Féin blamed scores of masked men, who a party representative said were wearing camouflage clothing and surgical gloves, for launching co-ordinated attacks on the Catholic Short Strand area. Ulster Unionist MLA Michael Copeland said he believed the violence followed attacks on Protestant-owned homes.

The Belfast mayor, Niall Ó Donnghaile, a councillor based in the Short Strand area, said a number of residents had been injured, including one man knocked unconscious when he was hit with a brick.

Ó Donnghaile said: "There is no doubt that this was unprovoked and was a carefully orchestrated and planned attack on the area. Homes have been attacked with petrol bombs and paint bombs, bricks, golf balls. I saw what happened."

But Copeland said homes on the mainly Unionist Newtownards Road had been targeted. "I would say it was several hundred involved in very serious, almost hand-to-hand fighting," he said.

The PSNI assistant chief constable, Alistair Finlay, said: "We would estimate that approximately 400 to 500 people were involved in this spontaneous disorder last night, which lasted for several hours. We would appeal to anyone with any influence to continue to work with police to tackle these issues which are damaging for the whole community. This is an issue that cannot be addressed by police alone."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jun/21/police-attacked-belfast-sectarian-clashes
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 23, 2011
His religion has been synonymous with senseless violence and murder for the past decade but he is quick to post a news item of a rare ( in modern times)  occurence of  christian extremism.

Nothing on this earth is funnier than religious people. NOTHING grin

LIVE LIKE MUHAMMAD,FIGHT LIKE ALI,DIE LIKE HUSSAIN!

How did Hussain die? Blow himself up?
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by LagosShia: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
Martian:

How did Hussain die? Blow himself up?

if you really did not know,then you're truly ignorant.no offence intended.i hope reading on Imam Hussain (as) would give you new insight.

[size=14pt]Quotations about Imam Hussain (A.S.) by Prominent Non-Muslims[/size]

1.) Mahatma Gandhi (Indian political and spiritual leader): “I learned from Hussein
how to achieve victory while being oppressed.”

2.) Thomas Carlyle (Scottish historian and essayist): “The best lesson which we get
from the tragedy of Karbala is that Husain and his companions were rigid
believers in God. They illustrated that the numerical superiority does not
count when it comes to the truth and the falsehood. The victory of Husain,
despite his minority, marvels me!”

3.) Edward Gibbon (English historian and member of parliament): “In a distant age
and climate, the tragic scene of the death of Hosein will awaken the
sympathy of the coldest reader.” (The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, London,
1911, volume 5, p. 391-392)

4.) Charles Dickens (English novelist): “If Husain had fought to quench his
worldly desires…then I do not understand why his sister, wife, and children
accompanied him. It stands to reason therefore, that he sacrificed purely for
Islam.”

5.) Antoine Bara (Lebanese writer): “No battle in the modern and past
history of mankind has earned more sympathy and admiration as well as
provided more lessons than the martyrdom of Husayn in the battle of
Karbala.” (Husayn in Christian Ideology)

6.) Dr. K. Sheldrake: “Of that gallant band, male and female knew that the
enemy forces around were implacable, and were not only ready to fight, but
to kill. Denied even water for the children, they remained parched under the
burning sun and scorching sands, yet not one faltered for a moment. Husain
marched with his little company, not to glory, not to power of wealth, but to
a supreme sacrifice, and every member bravely faced the greatest odds
without flinching.”

7.) Ignaz Goldziher (Hungarian orientalist): “…Weeping and lamentation over
the evils and persecutions suffered by the ‘Alid family, and mourning for its
martyrs: these are things from which loyal supporters of the cause cannot
cease. ‘More touching than the tears of the Shias has even become an
Arabic proverb.” (Introduction to Islamic Theology and Law, Princeton, 1981, p.179)

8.) Edward G. Brown (Professor at the University of Cambridge): “…a reminder of
that blood-stained field of Karbala, where the grandson of the Apostle of
God fell, at length, tortured by thirst, and surround by the bodies of his
murdered kinsmen, has been at anytime since then, sufficient to evoke, even
in the most lukewarm and the heedless, the deepest emotion, the most
frantic grief, and an exaltation of spirit before which pain, danger, and death
shrink to unconsidered trifles.” (A Literary History of Persia, London, 1919, p.227)

9.) Sir William Muir (Scottish orientalist): “The tragedy of Karbala decided not
only the fate of the Caliphate, but also of Mohammadan kingdoms long after
the Caliphate had waned and disappeared.” (Annals of the Early Caliphate,
London, 1883, p.441-442)

10.) “Though Imam Hussein gave his life years ago, but his indestructible soul rules the hearts of people even today.”-Dr. Radha Krishnan

11.) Mahatma Gandhi:
“My faith is that the progress of Islam does not depend on the use of sword by its believers, but the result of the supreme sacrifice of Hussain (A.S.), the great saint.”

12.) Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru:
“Imam Hussain’s (A.S.) sacrifice is for all groups and communities, an example of the path of rightousness.”

13.) Reynold Alleyne Nicholson:
“Hussain (A.S.) fell, pierced by an arrow, and his brave followers were cut down beside him to the last man. Muhammadan tradition, which with rare exceptions is uniformly hostile to the Umayyad dynasty, regards Hussain (A.S.) as a martyr and Yazid as his murderer.”
[A Literary History of the Arabs, Cambridge, 1930, p197]

14.) Rabindranath ***************ore:
“In order to keep alive justice and truth, instead of an army or weapons, success can be achieved by sacrificing lives, exactly what Imam Hussain (A.S.) did

15.) Dr. Rajendra Prasad:
“The sacrifice of Imam Hussain (A.S.) is not limited to one country, or nation, but it is the hereditary state of the brotherhood of all mankind.”

16.) Dr. Radha Krishnan:
“Though Imam Hussain (A.S.) gave his life almost 1300 years ago, but his indestructible soul rules the hearts of people even today.”

17.) Swami Shankaracharya:
“It is Hussain’s (A.S.) sacrifice that has kept Islam alive or else in this world there would be no one left to take Islam’s name.”

18.) Mrs. Sarojini Naidu:
“I congratulate Muslims that from among them, Hussain (A.S.), a great human being was born, who is reverted and honored totally by all communities
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 23, 2011
Your worldview is the definition of ignorance.

Besides, I don't have anything to gain from learning about some f_cking arab who died for his beliefs in his imaginary friend. You think I'm supposed to be impressed about quotes from some people? I'm sure I can find some quotes praising Hitler too.

I see you are a shiite in Nigeria, do you also act like your arab masters when they celebrate Ashura? You  f_cking religion is so barbaric that they even commit acts of violence against themselves just to please their imaginary friend.

Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by seyibrown(f): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
LagosShia,

Waiting for you to clarify the above!
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by LagosShia: 11:49am On Jun 28, 2011
Martian,you must understand that there is a difference between what the followers do and what the religion says.there is also a difference between culture and religion (islam).

the picture you show of blood-letting by my fellow shia brothers has no basis in islam or in the teachings of the 12 Imams from the Household of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).our shia scholars or the mar'ji'iyya in their majority have condemned the practice and it is banned in Iran where there is a shia-islamic religious political establish in control.but people still act emotional and follow a tradition which they believe expresses their grief and sorrow during the commemoration of the matyrdom of Imam Hussain (as) also know as Ashura.

so please get your facts straight.i will further present verses of the Holy Quran to back up my statement and prove to the world that no where in islam or its holy book is there a call for violence or terrorism as the misinformed,ill-intended and the propagansists are bent on portraying.
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by LagosShia: 11:54am On Jun 28, 2011
here is more detailed reply in another thread to answer a question by another member on the issue of "blood-letting" and mourning on Ashura:

LagosShia:

Sister "uplawal",

you asked yesterday a question about commemorating the event of Karbala on the 10th of the holy month of Muharram also known as the day of ashura and its rituals (beating oneself,crying and cutting oneself).

first you need to know that crying should be a natural reaction to something sad you sense.i personally on several occassions have being moved to tears.it doesnt necessarily have to be on ashura.sometimes when a reciter of the Holy Quran has a nice voice and you ponder upon the meanings,you are moved to tears.also when commemorating the matrydom of Imam Hussain on ashura if the reciter has a good voice and uses good expressions to convey the suffereings and pain of Imam Hussain and the Ahlul-Bayt in Karbala,you as a person with humane feelings will be moved to tears.even if it were not Imam Hussain,if anyone human undergo what the Imam suffered you will feel great sorrow.how much more when the person that went that suffering and sacrifice was your Imam and the Imam of humanity and the grandson of the greatest of mankind,the Prophet Muhammad ?

as for hitting the chest,that is a symbolic act that has a meaning relevant to what happened at Karbala.its has to do more with a symbolic kind of rememberance like the way some people do a "V-sign" on some occassions.

cutting oneself is a philosophical issue.even among the shia,not everyone cuts himself and cause blood to flow.those who do it say that no matter how much one tries to feel sorry for Imam Hussain,nothing is too much.therefore the cutting of oneself is meant to symbolize a willing soul ready to sacrifice and die for the Imam in loyalty and love to him and the Prophet Muhammad and the Ahlul-Bayt.they say that because of those who betrayed Imam Hussain and the Imam was killed in an abandoned and very sorrowful way along with his family members and even his 6 months old baby,they want to shed blood for the Imam and die at his service to please Allah.if the Imam was willing not to compromise for the sake of Islam and was so loyal to Allah,we also should emulate that spirit.

some of our scholars do support this view.others do not.those who do not support this view hold that it is haram to inflict oneself or harm oneself.they say that Imam Hussain was beheaded and his blood was shed by the ungodly,so why should we do to ourselves what the evil people did to our Imam?if we want to show love to our Imam,we can do that by remembering him and attending lectures on the commemoration of the day and carrying out symbolic acts like beating our chests (lightly) to bring back the memory of Karbala.we can remember the Imams symbolically and spiritually and islamically without hurting ourselves.an alternative like the saudi shias in the eastern parts of saudi arabia do,they donate their blood (for transfusion) to hospitals.those healthy individuals can donate their blood to help people survive and keep them alive like the way the Imam sacrificed his blood so that Islam will remain alive and healthy just the way it was revealed to his grandfather the Prophet Muhammad (sa).those against blood-letting also think the image of shias cutting themselves gives a bad impression in the minds of non-believers.those who cut themselves think they are not indebted to anyone to prove their enlightenment or sense of civilization when their acts is purely an act of devotion and sacrifice.

As you can see,this act is solely a matter of intentions.therefore a shia is free to show his love the way he feels best in accordance with the fatwas of his Marji (scholar of highest authority in shia islam that issue fatwas,the likes of ayatollah Khomeini and ayatollah Sistani).

Based on intention,no one would dictate to you how to express your intentions or not to.on this note,the issue does not act a divisive issue because we all think that everyone mourning for Imam Hussain is doing his best to remember the Imam and bring back the lessons of Karbala to life in our modern times.

Personally I have never inflicted wounds upon myself.i do beat my chest and I cry to an unimaginable extent when the Sheikh or Sayyid narrates Imam Hussain’s sufferings in Karbala and that of his family members and loyal friends including his six months old baby.as I am typing this,I am only managing to control myself from shedding tears.there is a saying that “Karbala is a wound that never heals in the heart of the believer”.i really feel sad and spiritually overcome when I hear anything about Imam Hussain.if you truly attend the commemoration on the 10th of Muharram which is just a few weeks away,you will understand what I am saying.you should first try and study the event itself and the sacrifice each member that was matyred in Karbala did and refrained from doing for the sake of Islam and the Imam.the event is the epitome of islamic sacrifice and the love for Allah.

As I was saying,I believe in sincerity.i believe if I can be moved to shed tears,I should also be moved to an unconscious state where I can cut myself.but consciously I don’t think it is reasonable for me to inflict wounds on my body.ofcourse I have to mourn Imam Hussain,that is a sunnah of the Prophet.but I can do that in more than one way to express my grief,sadness and love for the Imam.i don’t think it should be done cold-bloodedly.i am not saying those who cut themselves are acting or are being hypocritical.may Allah reward them for their good intentions and Allah will surely reward me for mine too.all of us have the same goal but using different methods.at the end we are all one and we do love Imam Hussain above ourselves.may my soul and the souls of my parents be sacrificed for the sake of Imam Hussain.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-554337.32.html
Re: Violence And Christianity Again! by LagosShia: 12:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Martian:

Your worldview is the definition of ignorance.

Besides, I don't have anything to gain from learning about some f_cking arab who died for his beliefs in his imaginary friend. You think I'm supposed to be impressed about quotes from some people? I'm sure I can find some quotes praising Hitler too.

I see you are a shiite in Nigeria, do you also act like your arab masters when they celebrate Ashura? You  f_cking religion is so barbaric that they even commit acts of violence against themselves just to please their imaginary friend.
you're mentally deficient otherwise to start with you will not call yourself "Martian".

when faced with facts and an intellectual response you resort to vulgar expressions and insults.you can find another "martian" like yourself to reply to your insults.

(1) (Reply)

Quick Question For Those Who Don't Believe God Exists. / An Atheist In Love With A Christian / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.