Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them (989 Views)

Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad / Financial Guru Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Scams / I Need Your Advice Guys - My Dad's Shares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Koboland(f): 1:32pm On Aug 01, 2007
Hello Nairalanders
My Dad bought some shares in my name
Since the signatures on the share certificate is his, I want to know if i can sell them without his consent
Plus i want to know if i can pay in my dividends in a savings acct since i dont have a Current acct
Thanks
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by cantiride2: 12:53am On Aug 02, 2007
actually your dads signature is need for verification purpose so you cant just sell it.Also you can pay your dividend in your account.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Koboland(f): 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ cantiride2
Thanks for the info

Are you sure i can pay in my dividends in Intercontinental or GTB becoz i maintain only a savings account with Both

Plus can i pay in Dividends not in names there or only the ones in my name

I am sorry i am just a newbie to this
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by babaife(m): 8:40pm On Aug 02, 2007
am sorry you may not be able to lodge your dividend warants into your savings account, except the accounts are hybrid in nature by these i mean they possess attributes of both the savings and current accounts. again, if i may ask, why do you want to sell the stocks without your fathers consent?

i just hope you are not making a mistake. cos i can sense a sinister motive that may cause you pains if care is not taken. a word is enough for a wise
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Seun(m): 8:42pm On Aug 02, 2007
If the stocks belong to him, then there is no "sinister motive" involved in selling them. It is his right to sell them.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Aporo: 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2007
I slightly disagree seun.

It can only be his right subject to the consent of his Dad who in fact signed the share certificates.

Besides, he should also have difficulties lodging a dividend warrant that bears his Dad's name in his bank account.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Koboland(f): 1:20pm On Aug 06, 2007
@Aporo
You may want to read well 'fore you 'contribute'
The shares was bought in my name (my own Name)
My Dad now lives in the UK, and things have falen apart 'tween me and him
so its little or no communication, i have loads of Dividend slips lying in my rooms
Dunno what to do with it!
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Aporo: 1:36pm On Aug 06, 2007
@Koboland

Thank you for the clarification!

Since the shares were purchased in your name, i presume that the dividend warrants were also issued in your name and to that extent, i am of the view that you should be able to lodge them in your account.

I am afraid however that you may not be able to sell the shares whose certificate bears your name without the consent of your Dad who signed the purchase form in the first place.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Seun(m): 1:54pm On Aug 06, 2007
I think everything depends on how old you are. You should be allowed to sell it if you're over 18.
If the law says otherwise, then the law needs to be changed. When you give a gift, it's no longer yours.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Aporo: 4:05pm On Aug 06, 2007
Very correct Seun and i entirely agree with your proposition.

Meanwhile, it would appear that only his Dad (regardless of Koboland's age), that can confirm whether purchase of the shares was indeed a gift or otherwise. It is not uncommon for people to buy properties especially shares in the names of their children not necessarily with the intention of giving it to them but oftentimes as some vehicle for investing.

My position would however be different if Koboland can confirm to us that there was a specific agreement or proof between himself and his father that demonstrates that the shares in question was a gift.
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Koboland(f): 6:30am On Aug 28, 2007
Thats the Problem,
We dont talk Nomore
I have more than 80 Dividend warrant wasting in my room
Re: I Own The Shares, But My Dad Signed Them by Aporo: 9:58am On Aug 28, 2007
@Koboland

Aporo:

@Koboland

Since the shares were purchased in your name, i presume that the dividend warrants were also issued in your name and to that extent, i am of the view that you should be able to lodge them in your account.

I am afraid however that you may not be able to sell the shares whose certificate bears your name without the consent of your Dad who signed the purchase form in the first place.

Please refer to my earlier views in the above post.

Regards

(1) (Reply)

How $50 Oil Changes Almost Everything / Pls Help! My Blockchain Wallet / Communique To All Mavrodians By Guider Stanley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.