Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,571 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? (64868 Views)

Poll: Choose your favorite three 'action!' screamers

Steven Spielberg: 32% (75 votes)
Martin Scorsese: 26% (61 votes)
Francis Ford Coppola: 9% (21 votes)
Quentin Tarantino: 18% (42 votes)
Peter Jackson: 11% (26 votes)
Michael Bay: 1% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Whos The Most Beautiful Lady In Hollywood / Do You Love Or Hate Nigerian Movies? / Charmed - Luv It Or Hate It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (60) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by jiddah: 1:06pm On Sep 13, 2007
@vescucci

well finally i run into your post or should i say your topic,fancy you find my "loff" for johnnies huge well what can a girl do wink,these two johniies are just adorable, well not that i expect you to understand though.and i guess iice should just fall in behind me in the line for the love of johnny depp since he starred in "edward scissors hand".

just to refresh,just saw the Departed few weeks back,directed by Martin Scorsese and i can attest that i was almost on my feet during the watch,now that was a good watch not that i really like all the shootings and all but it was worth the watch.

and also liked Marty in Sharktale,it was kind of cute using him as a voice over,hmmmm wats his name again  hmmm the fish that blows up when angry, well bet vescucci can help me on that.well good i stumbled on this post.

vescucci watch out.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 8:38pm On Sep 13, 2007
Ultimate johnny lover here! tongue grin

i'l write later lol. . .kindda in a rush
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 9:37am On Sep 14, 2007
Well iice, I guess you heard it all from the horses mouth, though jiddah's no horse. Jiddah's my friend here with me in case y'all wonder. I just hope jiddah and iice collaborate and not cat fight over them Johnnies (though that might not be a terrible sight, if there was gonna be a spectacle, but, oh well, ) Jiddah, this here is iice of whom Seye's jealous lately. He says I don't come to his office again since I'm always busy over iice or my thread or whatever. Seye's just being naughty but don't you think princess iice is worth it? Princess? that's a long story better told at a later date.

Gonna see some new movies this weekend and some old ones too. Today's Friday and thus this post is a rare treat.

Gotta split though.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2007
spent the whole weekend watching van damme.
funny guy
welcome jiddah
verscussi, stop feeling like someone dad
neva knew it was john woo who directed hard target
catch all ya later
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2007
Hah! i spent the whole day yesterday watching LOTR
Am in loff again grin grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by jiddah: 1:49pm On Sep 17, 2007
well well well ,

thanks akin.
and vescucci why the hell wont seye be jealous? any way u can carry ur stuff and do your thing with iice in seye's office, he probably likes seeing your face,remeber the spirit stuff i was saying grin.
anyway,i kinda fancy iice's vast know it of film knowledge well dats makes me green with envy,me? i just tend to glide through a film without knowing directors and check the directors later if i like it.well just re-watched Donny Brascoe for seeing sake to re fall in love, john just seem untouchable,and pirates of the carribean well vescucci u understand.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2007
@ iice
dont know why but i love harry potter(series) dat means any of it much more than LOTR.
do u think i'm out of my mind?
@ jiddah
u're welcome
johnny is sure tite.
though got my love elsewhere but only folly wont make anyone acknowledge johnny depp. cool in his own crazy way.
av u seen blow, with penelope cruz?(@ iice, know this chick? reminds me of milla cos of accent, though different ones but, ), finding neverland, with kate winslet and dustin hoffman?, from hell, playin an opium cranked detective who was on jack's(the ripper) trails?
depp is sure a great guy n even his most classic, dats once upon a time in mexico was great.
" if donnie calls,tell him i said if it cld av bin anybody else, i'm glad it was him"
donnie brasco
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2007
Hiya jiddah wink
I totally know how you feel about johnny grin

Akin. . .erhhh well i guess you are entitled to your opinions (doi!) tongue
But i cannot say that any part of harry potter is better than LOTR
Regardless that it's one of my favorite movies. . .LOTR stands as one of those exceptionally made movies
The magnitude alone. . .i cannot describe the feeling i get whenever i watch it wink

Yes Penelope Cruz of Vanilla Sky tongue
Hmmmm well am not a big fan undecided
She's talented but just doesn't exactly wow me

I just thought of Jon Favreau of zathura
He's slated to direct Iron Man
Any thoughts?
Am still making my way past Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark undecided
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 9:35am On Sep 18, 2007
Where do I even start?

At the beginning, my Dad would say. (My parents are a very great influence on me, I only seem to listen to them when I'm away but in their presence, Dennis, the menace)

Scorsese on top. Ooh boy! Van Damme, poor splitting, accented bloke. Haven't heard anything about the fella in ages. Will find out though. John Woo made a lot of good movies among which I think is Pay check. Remember Broken Arrow, Face Off, The Killer, Replacement Killers and of course Desperado. They have John Woo written all over em.

Donnie Brasco, oh yeah, I remember that! Couldn't believe Donnie came out unscathed and lived to be receiving decorations. Scorsese made amends on that with The Departed where he left only Mark Wahlberg's character alive and he'd even quit, now that's hollywood. Al Pacino is such an actor that has such finesse, you can hardly know he isn't really American, one can hardly detect an accent around him. Wasn't he just incredible in Devil's Advocate? Sorry ladies for leaving the loff of your lives. Johnny's really great too.

Maybe I'll go searching for a loff of MY life too. Though I've always had a soft spot for Renee Zellwegger, just love her eyes, always twinkling and intense, plus she's got these killer cheeks. If y'all could see Jiddah's eyes they look like Pocahontas I wonder what Jiddah looked like as a kid considering one's eyes remain the same size from cradle to grave.

Akin, I was telling these gurls that John is very eccentric and plays even more eccentric roles, Ninth Gate positively spooked me, Sleepy Hollow? Don't even go there, plus I saw these ones when I was younger and more impressionable. Good Donnie Brasco quotes!

I still got a special place in young heart for Harry Potter, but the epic grandeur of Lord of the Rings is simply irresistible! It passes on all accounts, that's why they made a sweep of the Oscars. Dialogue-superb, Spfx-phenomenal, Storyline-outta this world (literally) and you just name it.

Penelope Cruz, first met her in Open Your Eyes, the Spanish film of which Vanilla sky is an English version, funny she should star in both. The Spanish version was better in my opinion but didn't get as much publicity. It had the Aronofsky disease. Penelope is good as she was nominated I think for an Oscar, much to Salma Hayek's delight, who is a frontline activist for anything Spanish. she was all over the place when Guillermo Del Torro won something, I can remember.

John Favreau is okay to do the job, just cant wait to see the finished product and see somn new. Robert Downey Jr. is great too. Well that's why this thread's database will be exhaustive. My fingers ache, y'all.

I should be getting paid, dammit!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2007
renee? ewww tongue grin Nah she can act but don't really like her. . .my sister detests her grin grin
Please we know Johnny is eccentric. . .tis one of the reasons we loff him grin grin
Hah! i think the trailer for Iron Man's out. . .am gonna go scout that and see (hopefully its a trailer not a teaser grin)

Devils advocate. . .i loved Al Pacino in that one! He's a very intense actor. . .seen Angels in America? A miniseries. . .it's a wonderful piece, stars meryl streep too
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by jiddah: 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2007
well i'd say that a good one vescucci,
well i'll probably send you a picture of me when i was five months,i look at it and laugh my self.

well scorsese did do good in the departed fancy how he got rid of the leo who was s'pose to be the hero and even the villain,well that was a good take,but trust me would not watch that movie twice.well Al pacino is another guy after my own heart,he's seasoned and seasoned and has age with grace and glandour!( wats the meaning?) well loved him when he's at his bet in manipulating, especially in that movie that had Colin Farrel in it ehmmmmmm? well cant remeber now,well i loved him in it and twas a good take.well renee is sweet indeed just love her versatility and the way she switches,she is so friggin talented,and the accent thing is her swing she does it real good,saw her in cold mountain she did real good, all the Bridget jones and though she does seem a lil weird atimes so i give you a go ahead chose a loff. another loff u could choose julia roberts,delivers anyday anytime,or even older women like Meryl streep,sigourney weaver,so i feel this thread digressing,stop me oh if not i ll change this thread.

anyway harry potter,now thats a hell of a movie or should i say strings of movies,grows darker and darker always has my attention but the novelty seem to wearing out with the strings of movie,well as for lord of the rings well that is a film i cant seem to watch its just intense and somewhat too fictional and stuff like the all too grand graphics and all but plueeeeeeze.well will try and come round to watching it but has to be with someone.

@ iice,
wat do u do for a living( no pun intended) u should be a movie reviewer and if u based in naija get into nollywood and do some reviews for them cheesy
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 12:52pm On Sep 18, 2007
You see, what I mean? You don't like Renee and your sis likes her even less. Guess I gotta change the 'loff' of my life. I didn't know it was this difficult. How did you guys do it? Still like her though. Liked her best in the Bridget Jones diary and Cold Mountain. Me, Myself and Irene didn't work for me, I don't think 'pullin the bull by the horn' comedy suits her. I'm going to download the Iron Man trailer myself if it's ready. Just saw the 'Iron Man' and I'm salivating, and wondering what kind of bad guys this one will come with. Great heroes have great enemies. Hercules vs Hades and you know the rest. How's your quiz coming along?

Akin is probably out of the country (more like eloped) with the 'loff' of his life to some exotic place like Fiji, that's why he ain't making any resonance here, akin, please prove me wrong (reverse psychology hehehehe, I learnt from the best---oops akin isn't supposed to see this!)

Haven't even heard of Angels in America, but anything with Meryl Streep in it is good for me---the Devil wears Prada? speaks for itself!

Jiddah, oh Jiddah! Please do send me the schizzle, I'd be delighted!

About LOTR I'm sure iice will beg to differ. She loves that stuff. I could have figured you'll love the Harry Potter collection, we have a new James Bond string on our hands. You apparently don't know iice at all, Jiddah, not like any of us really does (she's one grand Mystery that Scooby and Co. couldn't unravel), because she'll have absolutely nothing to do with Nollywood. Doesn't watch em, doesn't review em, doesn't talk about em. As far as she's concerned they're not worth her time. I largely feel the same way too, though. I hope iice doesn't have a problem with me taking the liberty to assume her position. As for what she does, if you can find that out, I'll find out from you---oops iice wasn't supposed to see this, me and my big mouth!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2007
grin grin ya'll got me laughing lmfao! grin grin

jiddah i agree with Julia Roberts. . .i just think she's great!
Very lovable, charismatic, charming and sweet. . .i guess that's why she's America's sweetheart wink

Hmmm i do like the harry potter movies but like jiddah i guess the novelty is wearing off.
My favorite still remains 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. . .i guess it mostly has to do with Gary Oldman who i absolutely adore cheesy, i think it is darkest next to the 'order of the phoenix' if not the darkest undecided But compared to LOTR its no competition for me that is. My bro after watching LOTR couldn't watch harry potter, he thought it was just wack lol. Of the 5 films made, he has only watched the first one and the last one grin grin

vescucci tongue
Renee yeah i liked her best in Bridget Jone's diary. . .i kindda liked the whole wreck she portrayed grin
But am not a big fan undecided
As for Iron Man. . .still working past the Downey Jr. thing lol!
Samuel L. Jackson i think plays a villain.

But before Iron Man. . .we shall be treated to Hitman : Starring Timothy Olyphant kiss
I did see the teaser well it was more than a teaser but less than a trailer tongue
It looked promising and there was this clip with him drawing his guns arms wide. . .i had goosebumps.
Initially i thought Jason Statham would be playing Agent 47 because he sure looks the part. . .even dressed the part in the Transporter. Well, i hope this one doesnt suck like most game turned movies have a nasty habit of doing. grin

Devil wears prada. . .i adored Meryl's character. She is an amazing actress and her nominations and wins in her career can attest to that! The woman is unstoppable! grin
vescucci, try getting Angels in America. It's a good watch. They won numerous Emmys and Globes for that show. wink

About nollywood, sorry jiddah, like vescucci said. . .i have nothing to do with it. I don't watch them. . .have only watched 2 nollywood movies in my life and that was because i was forced to watched them back in high school. . .ewww no thanks grin Hmmmmm movie critic eh? grin Yeah i have been told to do so but i don't think my skills are up to par with them critics tongue Besides we have vescucci and spikyn wink They sure give good reviews cheesy I just talk about movies, because they are my passion grin I live and breathe motion pictures tongue grin
Or you could say am obsessed grin grin
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2007
[b]just got back
@jiidah
pacino n farrell was the recruit. quite manipulative. will always rate scent of a woman his best anyday though he did star in lotta other movies. devil's advocate, sim-one(luv this movie),insider and lotta others.
must admitt julia is one of the best at what she does. took everybody like a storm back then. but erin brokovich touched me so much. nice gal
@vescucci
renne, renee, reeene.
went thru a lot of stress for the bridget jones story.
saw her 1st in nurse betty then me myself n irene.
she went ahead to date him after then.
then chicago wit catherine n richard gere
avn't seen cold mountain but she was cool in cinderella man(cant c enuf of this movie) wit russel crowe but not her best fan also.
cant rem downey jr in a lead role but not a bad actor. cant c d trailer now but will be on the lookout. read most comics grown up so doesn't av d passion as i should if i had read dem as a kid.
@iice
hitman is a fav game of mine.
played codename 47, the silent assasins and still av sleepless nites ova blood money. not finding it easy despite the fact i'm not playing the pro mode yet.
dont know timothy wateva, swear i've not seen him be4 die hard 4. xpected a more discreet person as agent 47, maybe jason bourne cos i can neva get a bond. statham will sure av bin beta but i wld personally av casted val kilmer or matt damon, always pictured them in the role weneva i'm palying the game. time will surely tell and i dont even know him to credit or discredit
avn't seen angels in america also but meryl is sure 1 of the most decorated actors.
talking penelope cruz, met her in woman on top then blow, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Vanilla Sky, Gothika n Bandidas. all nice movies.

@topic
too much digression and distraction
dont take John Favreau as a serious sort but lets wait and c.
c all ya.
Wale, who is the master that tot u?
NB: i think  we should leave iice and just enjoy the thread. i will give anything to know who she is but lets just let her be.
iice shldn't read this but i'm waiting for the reply of my letter to 10 baker street (sherlock's holmes quarters), it's to unravel the mystery behind her.[/b]
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 9:30am On Sep 20, 2007
Are you guys trying to set a record or was yesterday 'type till fingers hurt' day? Reading both your posts made me dizzy and I had to get my glasses to avoid reading the same line twice.

I don't really think that Harry Potter will be going away anytime soon cuz it's such clincher for the kids and people who aren't really kids like me and y'all. The majority of the fans do not care because they're just kids who just want to see magic done. Though for it to have any continuity, I think they need to draw their ideas from other sources rather than from J. K. Rawlings, who I think has proprietary rights for the contents of these films. But we all know there are ways around problems like these. If they always have to wait for her to write a book before anyone can hope for another Harry Potter movie then there'll be problems if she, say, has a nervous breakdown or something. I heard something akin to a parliament being set up and a whole lot of important people signing a document to get her to resurrect, I think Ron Weasly's character. A little rusty on that story but you can find out for yourselves. I'm going to see The Order of the Phoenix with some friends later tonight. Then I'll be able to contrast it with my favorite too, Prisoner of Azkaban. Though I like the name Order of the Phoenix better.

Saw Rush Hour 3 yesterday. People were of the opinion that it was the best among the three, but I think not. It was definitely a good watch but I didn't like the chemistry between Lee and Cutter like I did in the first one or even the second one. Cutter directing traffic? I just couldn't decipher that. What could bring about such a demotion. I know these guys have shifts of duty, but we're talking about a national hero here, even if he's a clumsy, accident-prone, running-mouth, MJ obsessed hero. I just didn't like the story of a worldwide mafia having so much tradition as if we've ever known thugs to be organised across races or anything.

Hitman too didn't make me particularly happy when I heard about it and matters were not alleviated with Tim Olyphant being in it. But I guess they couldn't get a better actor like iice's choice, Statham to shave his head. Even Angelina was wearing a wig in A Mighty Heart. I also have the game, Silent Assassin. Currently I'm stuck in a stage I can't get past. It's driving me crazy. Another reason why it's not so popular with me. I really hope it ends up being good but I guess the fear of 'whatever gives iice goose bumps' is the beginning of wisdom. What I'm really caught up on is Iron Man, now that's gonna be a blockbuster. Resident Evil: Extinction promises to be good, but I hope they have a plausible story and are not pushing their luck with it, but luckily they've taken their time.

I have noticed a lot of typos in my posts recently and it's freaking me out when I read thru them, thank God for the Modify feature in this website, though I don't know what this has got to do with anything.

Akin! 10 Baker Street, I chuckle!

I hope I have somewhat set a record, too, lol.

da da da da da da, and I need you, da da da da da da, I miss you, da da da da da da, and now I wonder ,
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 12:11pm On Sep 20, 2007
[b], into the sky, do u think the stars will pass me by, cos i will walk a thousand miles if i can just c u,
tonite,
how far my pple?

still two more sequel to go for Harry Potter. J K Rowlings has written seven up to date,
no movie adaptation for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yet. by the time they exhaust the novels, more stories will come out.
at least not all James Bond stories was originally written by Ian Flemming.

Rush Hour three will sure be a good watch but yet to come accross it. actully love Jackie n heard he is in a collabo wit Jet Li at the moment. waiting for some ass kicking sha.

Statham shaving his head shldn't be a problem for the bald guy shocked shocked shocked
neva knew he valued it that much to miss a movie role.
anyway, i'm not too optimistic about the movie.
talking the game, which stage are u hooked?
maybe we shld meet at the game forum for more help

Watson actually replied my letter from london,
unfortunately, Holmes is busy on a case at the moment but will surely get back to me.
patiently waiting.

i dont bother reading back on my posts as grammar no be my language.
if errors dey, na the reader sabi. "if i fire n u dodge i dont care, na the beginning of craze be dat. talk make i understand,[/b]
O TAN"
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 1:52pm On Sep 20, 2007
Hi guys, two days.

I'm a half-fan of Renee, I totally loved her in Jerry Maguire and I still think it's her best role, watching her swoon over Tom Cruise in such a pure/innocent way is heart-warming. Her versatility sha is astounding especially her accents like y'all've pointed out.

I actually saw Rush Hour 3 a couple of weeks back but I was kinda ashamed to say it until I heard more of your opinions because I frankly wanted my money back at the end but the person I saw it with loved it silly.

Funnily enough I've been following the new movies but I've yet to see the trailer for either Iron Man or Hitman. Jason Statham would've made an excellent choice as 47 though personally I'd take Vin Diesel for the way he'd fit the suit especially with his shoulders et al, smiley . Personally I'm expecting Iron Man to do very well because of it's cast particulary Robert Downey Jr and the fact that it recognises that comic-book movies like comics should/can work on many different levels and be all things to all people [exhibit A: the ever-excellent BATMAN BEGINS], that and the fact that Jon Favreau trusts his material and didn't try to "over-modernize/update" the concept to much. On another note, did any of you see the trailer for Will Smith's Legend? It has hope.

Harry Potter vs. LOTR = Not fair!

Small Questions: Can a movie have too many big stars and still work? And which director(s) d'you think can pull it off?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 3:20pm On Sep 20, 2007
akin, I didn't mean to make it sound like Statham turned down the role of Iron Man, I was just speculating, see why I bother about typos? I've read Half Blood Prince and I can tell you it's very ghoulish, man. In the Hitman game, I'm at a stage where I'm supposed to liberate some guy taken prisoner by one crazy ass Russie general and also terminate this general and then blow up a wall and bla bla bla,  the problem arises after I had killed every single one of those commies and need to blow up the wall. I can't seem to figure out how to place the blow and blow the place up and go to the next stage.

I hope Sherlock is doing ok and hasn't bitten more than he can chew, with all these sophisticated villains of the 21st century. When you get all the clues to fit the puzzle together, you know where to find me.

Spikyn, missed ya but I'm sure others miss you too. Thank God, you also didn't really like Rush Hour 3, I found it a little annoying, and the make-shift parachute at the ending insulted my intelligence. Vin Diesel, yes, he could've pulled it off too as 47, but I think he's got too much attitude to fit the role of a robot like assassin.

As regards your question, men, that's a tough one. I've never really thought in that line before. But I'm sure it's a book rule that too many cooks spoil the broth. I think that's applicable to a movie cast as everybody needs to play a role; that's why we have leading roles. But if it can not be avoided, I think Quentin Tarantino is the Prime Candidate for the task, because his type of films have a lot of personal input and that's only what can keep the big shot actors from improvising too much. I think Scorsese did a splendid job with the Departed, where there were at least 6 big names. Generally you just need a director with a reputation to crack the safe. Phew, I hope I got a pass mark!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2007
how do u mean not fair?
put in your stand.
long time! ow u doing?
to ur question,
a movie can actually av 2 many stars and stil works but just as u predicted depends wholly on the director.
1st to be recommended by me is Quentin tarantino;
John Travolta
Christopher Walken
Samuel L. Jackson
Uma Thurman
Bruce Willis
Tim Roth
Ving Rhames
were all in pulp fiction and it worked

Samuel L. Jackson
Michael Bowen
Chris Tucker
Robert De Niro
Michael Keaton
Bridget Fonda
Robert Forster
were also all in jackie brown.
also not a bad movie.

Uma Thurman
Lucy Liu
Daryl Hannah
David Carradine
Vivica A. Fox
Michael Madsen
all starred in kill bill n it was  a major hit.
so permit me to nominate QT to make a star studded movie senseless sorry kolomentric
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 4:35pm On Sep 20, 2007
@vers
seems u also dont like vin diesel just like me.
anyway, all join.
avn't read any of the books myself and i'm not in a hurry to cos it will only spoil my fascination for the movie.
cos i've never liked a movie i read the novel it was adapted from xcept "day of the jackal" novel from fredrick forsyth n movie dircted by Fred Zinneman starring Edward Fox, a 1973 movie
all good,will conclude this post l8t.
horns are hooting
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 4:53pm On Sep 20, 2007
OMG!!! while attending to my baby sad i sure missed alot! grin grin

Ok first off akin wink
Yup, Jackie has a film with Jet in the works
Did you know they were once rivals?
Big stars. . .HK. . .one trying to upstage the other. . .glad they are all good now grin

QT is known for his violent films and always star studded.
He draws alot from the east.
I've loved most of his films. . .he is truly a genius. Never a conventional story teller!

vescucci,
Rush hour 3, i agree is not like the rest. Still funny, not as much action as the first two. And yes the chemistry seems somehow dim. . .must be the long time wasted before making the movie
Which brings me to the whole changing of directors. . .
They took so long in getting the movie done (rush hour 3) that it caused a shifting in directors
Brett Ratner who did the first two movies, shifted to do X-men 3
The director of X-men 1 & 2 - Bryan Singer shifted to do Superman Returns
Brett Ratner again did rush hour 3. . . now i was thinking. . .if Singer stayed with X-men how would the third installment have been? Singer didn't do a bad job with Superman but i didn't like the movie soo much (even if i am mrs batman grin - doesnt stop me from appreciating a good movie tongue)

Spikyn cheesy
Have missed you!. . .always like reading your stuffs vescucci and akin too grin no vex eh tongue
Nah i sometimes like a star studded movie. . .or a movie with unknown (you know what i mean) stars.
Even better is when there are numerous cameos grin
Akin gave good examples with QT's works

Remember Mars attacks? shocked grin from a fav. director of mine - The ever weird Tim Burton grin grin
Jack nicholson
Glenn Close
Annette Benning
Sarah Jessica Parker
Pierce Brosnan
Danny Devito
Michael J. Fox
Martin Short
Natalie Portman
Tom Jones
Lukas Haas
Lisa Marie
Pam Grier
Jim Brown

This has one of the biggest if not the biggest cast i have seen in a movie grin
The movie first appears lame but with enough comedy and wit. . .
After a while it grows on you. . .call it a guilty pleasure if you will tongue
I loff this movie. . .the aliens are hilarious grin grin

Vin diesel i don't like except in Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick
I think Statham fits the role better than Diesel. Just my opinion tongue
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 6:56pm On Sep 21, 2007
iice, akin, vesc, thanks for the hitbacks.

It would seem QT's gotten a handle on handling multi-star projects. I loved the multiple stars in Disney's The Lion King, somehow Shark Tale didn't do it for me. Christopher Nolan seems to be getting used to that too as evidenced by his Batman Begins and The Prestige. Personally I believe in the battle of the magic movies of last year between The Illusionist [has anybody else seen this?] & The Prestige, The Illusionist won.

like iice said, X-Men 3 & Superman Returns are both good movies but they coulda been so much better in the hands of other directors, they ended up with me thinking about the best way to get my money back from the cinema guys without getting a black-eye, LOL

Have you guys noticed how Liam Neeson seems drawn to [flawed?] mentor roles in the last 10 or so years?

Batman Begins "cast sample list"

Christian Bale
Liam Neeson
Michael Caine
Ken Watanabe
Tom Wilkinson
Rutger Hauer
Morgan Freeman
Cillian Murphy
Katie Holmes
Gary Oldman
Linus Roache
Mark Boone Jr.

@iice, your Mars Attack example's truly one for the records. I hope your baby-attending's going good?
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 1:18pm On Sep 24, 2007
Maybe I've set an all time record for keeping quiet. Maybe it won't be for as long as iice might be away, tending to her 'baby' perhaps. Anyways, Mars Attack surely brings back memories too and believe me I've got quite little in my short life. When I saw that film first I probably didn't realise that half the cast were big shots. But from what iice says, I'm finding it hard to think of any other film that comes close to the number of stars in Mars Attack.

iice, thanks for making things clear about the change of directors in Rush Hour 3. Explains everything down pat, if you ask me. It is simply impossible to carry on the trend that a director of a previous film is making, as a new director because,

one; it's impossible, duh! and

two; every director wants to make an impression in his film, somewhat trying to make it their own little baby rather than groom some other director's baby.

Spikyn, I think very much so that The Illusionist and The Prestige were way too similar to have been released at approximately the same time. I also think I'd pick Ed Norton's Illusionist over the twisted Houdini tale, which was really very good too, I gotta admit.

About Liam Nielson, I don't quite follow you on his 'acting mentor roles in the last ten years or so' also cuz I don't think I go that way back, that long ago, the only movies I could tolerate were Power Rangers, Superman and the likes. Don't wanna know why y'all are fighting as long as you fight, you know. Liam in my mind always happened to look somewhat like Ralph Fiennes and I'm waiting for somebody to catch on to that and maybe find something to do with it. Maybe make, Archer's Kane and Abel or something. Meanwhile could you be clearer regarding what you mean?

Cheers!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 3:01pm On Sep 24, 2007
[b]iice,
jackie and jet li?
ow do u mean rivals?
tim burton;  with ur fascination for johnny n every tin 'johnny-ish'
seems he has starred him in about 3 or 4 movies i've seen.
sleepy hollow, charlie n d choc factory, Ed wood, corpse bride and some other movies YTR.

avn't seen any of illusionist or prestige so i beta let it pass.

if ur money ain't worth the black eye, then forget the money and accept the movie was not that bad LOL

dont lets 4get francis coppola's apocalypse now.
old! yes but had a cast that were stars even as at that time.
Martin Sheen
Marlon Brando
Robert Duvall
Harrison Ford
Fredric Forrrest
Albert Hall
Aurore Clement
Sam Buttons
lawrence fishburne
likewise was glengary glen ross starring pacino, spacey, ed harris, alec baldwin, jack lemmon, alan arkin, jonathan pryce and Jude Ciccolella directed by james foley who also did perfect stranger(halle berry & willis), confidence (nice)(dustin hoffman & rachel weisz), the corruptor(chow yun fat & mark wahlberg), the chamber(gene hackman &chris o'donnel), fear(mark wahlberg & reese witherspoon) and at close range(sean penn & chris walken).

well, i still think QT tops the list.

i agree wit vers on not getting ur gist on Liam Neeson maybe u elaborate.
apart from the old excalibur, the star wars episodes, gangs of new york. i cant really boast of knowing him.

vers,
ow struggle?
amazing ow time flies! very soon, it's all gonna be history.
are u talking of lord voldermont there? in connection wit liam?
heard there was once a TV adaptation of kane & abel but not a movie. maybe a drama or something more boring
but u might still av 2 wait 4 long, afterall it's jeffrey archer's work not some wannabe ludlum
dont start spitting fire or venom o. LOL[/b]
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2007
What I meant was his appearances in some movies like Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, Batman Begins, Kingdom of God, Kinsey et al. These movies have him playing the role of a mentor to a young person and he ends up being a flawed one, for example in The Phantom Menace, he was repeatedly warned about Anakin but he still insisted on taking him on; in Batman Begins, he was trying to groom Bruce Wayne to his twisted sense of justice and Kingdom of God has him as a failed/absentee father/mentor figure,
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 3:09pm On Sep 25, 2007
Stranger than fiction? I've been MIA cuz the adaptor for my computer went, well, KABLAM!!!!! This was due to a lightning strike that produced a wicked surge that affected the adaptor but somehow missed the fuse in the plug. Now I'm using my pal's adaptor meanwhile. Is that stranger than fiction or what? Anyway I'm back for whatever that's worth. What do we have here,

With the examples of films that Liam was in, I think I might be getting a feel for what spikyn might have possibly likely meant. (Lawyers teach that the more the probables, the safer the assumption, prove them wrong) As the Jedi he was a teacher of sorts, same with Gangs of New York (though as a father) But before I'd go and bite my tongue off Spikyn comes in with the clincher. Ok, I guess you're kinda right about the trend spikyn, but I'm sure it's not deliberate or anything, just a trend that we see in things. No two directors can I remember that he worked with twice even. I'm having trouble remembering this one he was in about a scientist that has an unstable substance that he can use to disguise himself as practically anybody. Black something?

akin, men it's like you're reading my mind with this NYSC stuff. i really can't wait to have it behind me. To make matters worse, one crazy old maid has replaced our regular supervisor who hitherto really didn't care if we showed up or not as long as we don't get her into trouble. Now we're virtually in hell's worst spot. This crazy broad actually dished out queries to some poor fellas who missed some CD days in a row. If there was anything I was doing there asides playing chess I wouldn't mind her subterfuges but she forces me to come to compulsorily waste my time. I'm mad but mad like teethless dog. I detest fridays now. Thinking of a film for that, Corps member chronicles,
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 3:49pm On Sep 25, 2007

spikyn,
alraty,
i get ur message now
likewise i dont think it is intentional
he starred in some recent films not very fatherly
try kinsey and Seraphim Falls
but as i said earlier, i dont really know this guy
like he existed way b4 me.

@ otondo
pele.
i spend my fridays playing games, movies or sleeping.
who get cd time?
afterall na naija we dey!!!
pls lets talk chess.
system upgrade at my place so i've bin off messenger for ova a week now.

iice! iice!! iice!!!
ibo lo lo?
se alafia ni omo e wa?
missing u ere!!!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 9:30am On Sep 26, 2007
Hey akin, it seems you have a knack for cracking me up, huh? Otondo, very funny. it seems NYSC parlance is really nation-wide. Anyways how versed are you in the art of chess? I'm above average, if I do say so myself, and I used to be obssessed with this stuff. When I was in school, me and my equally obssessed friends would stay up late way into the am annihilating each other, when we have exams to write the next day. Can you believe that? I wouldn't if not for the simple reason that I'm the one possessing the memory. As for the Grand Masters, my favorites are Bobby Fischer and Karpov. As for iice I suspect she might not even understand Yoruba or is she gonna come back anytime soon. Call that an educated guess.

P. S. That explains it, no Yahoo Messenger, eh!
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by spikyn: 1:30pm On Sep 26, 2007
Hola
I didn't specify just father but mentors also. In Kinsey he was a researcher and if you remember the very first scene/act, he was mentoring. He occasionally takes the odd role like Schindler's List and/or Leap of Faith type too.

Guys, Love NYSC while you can. You'll kinda miss it when it's over.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by Akin007(m): 9:00am On Sep 30, 2007
come dont start mentoring or fathering me here o.
spikyn:

Guys, Love NYSC while you can. You'll kind of miss it when it's over.
after all u are not liam himself.

just kidding bro,
kinda missing it already cos it's swiftly running to an end.

whats up all?
we all av bin missing 4 2 long.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by iice(f): 12:38pm On Oct 01, 2007
I get what spikyn means about Liam

Any1 seen any good movie lately?
My bro watched Resident Evil last night, he said it was better than the first two.
Am still skeptical because we know how those movies usually turn out undecided

I watched Wicker Man starring Nic Cage recently
Can i just make this face? angry angry angry angry grin grin
Useless piece of tripe! angry angry angry grin grin
Did they read the script before green lighting this trash?

Akin
Rivals, as in Jackie was already a legend when Jet started coming up in Hongkong
There was supposedly an encounter between the two of them @ a bar and they left the bar not on good terms
However, they have put aside or resolved their difference and thus making a movie together now.
Re: Hollywood directors: Rate or hate? What's your Take? by vescucci(m): 9:12am On Oct 02, 2007
I've been one forlorn mother, being away from this thread, free at last! Well, well, guess who's back? Da princess is here! Liam, Ham, Blam, puhleeze, I'm kinda getting tired of this guy. That said, Wicker Man? Never heard of that one. The last I heard of Nicholas Cage was this 9/11 film where he had a very ridiculous moustache, hehe. The poor guy isn't getting roles commensurate with his prowess as seen in his previous films. I don't know what's going on? And worse, I don't even know what to think; maybe he should start exploring his options. He doesn't even manage to get in the news like his other counterparts who front like they don't like paparazzi but secretly crave it. Guess that's the kinda person he is. Anyway, definitely ain't gonna touch Wicker Man with a sterilised fishing pole!

On to brighter things, huh? I didn't really see any film this weekend plus Independence Day break. Just got wrapped up in this new animation I'm seeing, Boondocks! It's absolutely, positively tha muthaf**king bomb! I so love this show cuz it appeals to my perceptions, I find it strange how I can relate to Huey and Riley's characters when they're disparaging ones. If y'all have seen this series holla back. I've been wondering how I missed it since it's been around since 2005. Oh well, maybe God's saving best for last.

About Spikyn and NYSC. I think he probably served in the Carribeans or something cuz if he'd had an experience like I'm having service wouldn't have finished soon enough!

Jackie and Jet Li? Have never really taken them seriously. I still like Romeo Must Die, though. Other films of theirs, I just watch for fun, no criticisms. Period. Capisce?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (60) (Reply)

Photos Of BBNaija’s Lucy Selling Plantain / BBNaija: Mike Reunites With Wife, Perri Shakes-Drayton / Kiddwaya Offers Cee-C N120 Million To Leave The Big Brother All Stars House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.