Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin (1596 Views)

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby / Speaking Pidgin To A Child Makes Them Rude / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by funloving(m): 7:54pm On Jun 24, 2011
That Indomie Noodle and Cowbell's milk adverts using kids speaking pidgin are just so wrong. We should be teaching and encouraging kids of that age (5-10 yrs) how to speak fluent English.They will always pick up pidgin on the streets, no problem with that but producing adverts on radio and TV showing these kids speaking pidgin, creates the impression in the highly impressionable minds of the watching children that pidgin is the National lingual Franca. We end up with children whose spoken English at best, becomes terrible in their adult lives.
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by BABE3: 8:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
Haha--- Nne, pls, Who informed you that those kids aren't fluent in speaking English? 

So it's ok, if they pick "it" up on the streets but it's not ok, if they're thought for an advert?

Nawa for una. Pidgin English is not so hard to learn. It can't affect your "normal" English.

Plus remember advertising is all about the Audience---there are Conc. Pidgin english speakers out there that will appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by elrony(m): 9:15pm On Jun 24, 2011
hmmm @funlovin, seriously u & ur post are so damn "distasteful", seriously go get a life, *no offence*
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by Outstrip(f): 9:54pm On Jun 24, 2011
They have customers that watch tv and speak pidgin english. People who speak pidgin english like noodles too
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by maclatunji: 4:39pm On Jun 25, 2011
If you are so worried about the proficiency of our young people in English, you should talk more about the negative effect of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks on kids' ability to spell.
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by zayhal(f): 6:48pm On Jun 25, 2011
@OP

Are you aware that we get news broadcast in pidgin English? What would you say about that? The truth is that Pidgin English is a part of us and has come to stay. Though I'm not in support of it being taught to young ones.

I'd be more worried about the kinds of teachers we have in primary and secondary schools, especially so-called English teachers. If you listen to them, you'd be shocked at the grammatical blunders they commit and forget all about a 2- minute advert in pidgin English.

If adverts could be placed in English, Yoruba etc, then there should be adverts in Pidgin too, afterall Pidgin English now has national recognition.

Bottom line is, I don't see those adverts causing any harm to the kids in the adverts or those watching if they have a sound background (home and school).
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by mafolayomi(f): 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
mama wey good 2 us, she give us indomie, indomie good well well, indomie sweet well , love d advert die grin grin
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by maclatunji: 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2011
mafolayomi:

mama wey good 2 us, she give us indomie, indomie good well well, indomie sweet well , love d advert die grin grin

This is exactly what is making the poster angry. However, Indomie must survive now, do you know the amount of companies that want to kill the product? They have boned all that classy and chic advertising for [b]alabukala [/b]advertising- they know that majority of Nigerians have very very simple minds; No offence intended!
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by Bawss1(m): 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2011
I'm with the OP on this one. It is wrong to encourage kids to speak pidgin, especially at that early age. Same goes to those parents that allow their kids listen to that rat-awful radio station called Wazobia FM. Tomorrow the parents will complain that their kids are scoring sharp F9 in WAEC English exams.
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by maclatunji: 4:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
Bawss1:

I'm with the OP on this one. It is wrong to encourage kids to speak pidgin, especially that early age. Same goes to those parents that allow their kids listen to that[b] rat-awful[/b] radio station called Wazobia FM. Tomorrow the parents will complain that their kids are scoring sharp F9 in WAEC English exams.

You just slammed the most popular radio station in Lagos. Well it has stiff competition in The Beat 99.9 fm, I guess that is what you polished-folks listen to.

My colleagues force me to listen to what you call "rat-awfulness" what can I do?

Yaw, Yaw, Yaw, Yaw, Yaw O, dem dey jolly-jolly, Ehn Ehn dem dey jolly-jolly!
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by Bawss1(m): 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2011
I cringe every time I hear a presenter on Wazobia. I can't imagine any child in my care listening to such talk. IMO much harm than good is achieved because of their pidgin. There is little that can be of use to any child learning pidgin. I think Wazobia should be an adult only station.
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by maclatunji: 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^How does that work?
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by Bawss1(m): 5:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
Yeah I know there is no effective way of restricting who listens to a radio station like Wazobia. Parents and guardians just have to discourage children from listening to such stations. These are just my views but I suspect that it will be in the minority, Nigerians seem to love Wazobia and the like, it's amazing.
Re: Distasteful Adverts Using Kids Speaking Pidgin by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 30, 2011
I'm with the original poster on this. I don't honestly see what benefit pidgin is to a young child, who's still in his / her early learning stages.

(1) (Reply)

How Is A Baby Delivered? / . / Why The Modern Kenyan Woman Is Willing To Be Wife Number Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.