Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,723 members, 7,802,179 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. (1586 Views)

Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For / Bush Meat Eaters: Do You Know The Kind Of Animal Behind The Bush Meat You Eat? / How Do U Prepare Your Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by timijasco(m): 11:23am On Jun 25, 2011
The wolof tribe of the Gambia use to mix their white rice with fried stew as well wit some leaf colouration. Nigerian travelers to the gambia brought the recipe home & many culd nt pronounce the "wolof rice" & inturn 9ja's started calling it "jolof" rice.
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by clemcykul(f): 10:49am On Jun 28, 2011
hmm nice to know, my grand mother said she introduced it naija from zimbabwe
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by mychaella(f): 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2011
How difficult could it have been to pronounce the "w" sound? "women (jomen?)", "wear (jear?)", "wonder (jonder?)", "winner (jinner?)", " window (jindow?)"
I don't get.

1 Like

Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by ladytee1: 6:45pm On Jul 24, 2011
I wish I did not see this, interesting as it is. I am sitting next to an annoying Gambian collegue with a smug look on his face.
I always thought jolof rice belonged to us.
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by Crownvilla(m): 1:03am On Nov 02, 2011
I heard it originated from the Jollof tribe in Gambia.
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by obowunmi(m): 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2011
Thought its Senegal ?!
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by DECOtech(m): 7:29am On Jul 10, 2012
Crownvilla: I heard it originated from the Jollof tribe in Gambia.
Looking at the OP's post, is there a chance the Gambian tribe is called 'WOLLOF'?
Re: Do U Know The History Of Jolof Is From Gambia. by Egbagirl(f): 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2012
obowunmi: Thought its Senegal ?!

obowunmi: Thought its Senegal ?!

Gambia is "inside" Senegal and they have the Wolof people there too. Na colonization break them so. So yea, Gambia/Senegal cause the wolof people are found in both countries.

Its actually called ceebu jen rouge (red rice and fish). There is also ceebu jen blanc (the white version). The way it is cooked is totally different from how we make our jollof. They have tons of veggies in them such as carrots, zuchini, garden egg, okra (all cooked in the sauce). The rice is steamed on top of the cooking sauce. When the sauce is ready, they take out the cooked veggies, fish and some of the suave, then add the rice to it and let it cook a lil. then they serve it in a large tray put the fish and veggies in the middle and pour some of the remaining sauce on top (not necessary though)

(1) (Reply)

Easy Healthy Yam Porridge Made With Tomatoes And Fish / Please How Do I Get Taller / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.