Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) (293237 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 9:32pm On Jul 08, 2011
Good topic, lessons to learn, and the youth of today , we have to stand up so that it will not happen again,.@spyder880 wating for the photos that u took from that place and we all will share it here and learn alot from them.
i am wating @spyder880
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 9:34pm On Jul 08, 2011
olubuffett:

Am alone you dey vex take it easy naa, you have to understand that the way things were done years ago are different, people now engage the right
professionals when building( i hope).

No I  no vex!!!
I am not against skyscrappers or a 4storey or 3storey building
But I dont like the idea of renovating a bungalow to a 3storey building
I am not intrested in how well they plan to do it.
Why not demolish the old bungalow and build yourself a new 3storey building?
Niaja I hail thee!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 9:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded)
« #225 on: Today at 09:34:05 PM »

Quote from: olubuffett on Today at 09:23:24 PM
Am alone you dey vex take it easy naa, you have to understand that the way things were done years ago are different, people now engage the right
professionals when building( i hope).

No o no vex!!!
I am not against skyscrappers or a 4storey or 3storey building
But I dont like the idea of renovating a bungalow to a 3storey building
I am not intrested in how well they plan to do it.
Why not demolish the old bungalow and build yourself a new 3storey building?
Niaja I hail thee!!!

u re right @am alone
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 9:38pm On Jul 08, 2011
You have a point, we have to ask spyder if the original foundation was meant to carry higher levels.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 9:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
In niaja, such provison donest exist, any way @spyder880, we are wating for you, becuase you bring all this issues up. so we need all this informations so that we can learn more .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 9:45pm On Jul 08, 2011
olubuffett:

You have a point, we have to ask spyder if the original foundation was meant to carry higher levels.

What they do is that, they will tear up some part of the bungalow and fit pillars there
that will carry the 3storeyed building. But it can never be like a new and fresh foundation
Peace!!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 9:53pm On Jul 08, 2011
i have seen cases where people plan that in future the will put another level on there bungalow so they make provision for it.

Am Alone:

What they do is that, they will tear up some part of the bungalow and fit pillars there
that will carry the 3storeyed building. But it can never be like a new and fresh foundation
Peace!!!!!

well in that case God save the students!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:28pm On Jul 08, 2011
just to load the pics before delving into the issue of renovations.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2011
then finally

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2011
Am Alone:

Peace!!!!!

Bros, I think you are wrong.
What I saw there was pure quality architecture. All protocols for safety were observed while doing this renovation. Now let me walk us through through the processes. A man buys up an old bungalow and tears off the roof, then cut into the walls to create spaces for pillars. He then goes right below the surface and digs all the foundation pillars, even well below the bungalow foundation blinding. Now he does and extra tough cast using superior mixtures to cast column bases, bigger baskets will be installed inside the ground to accommodate the load, then enough beams will crisscross the entire deck to provide added strength. Also note that high caliber rods will be used to form the column rods and beams. Forget the old house, what we have there now is a new house with old blocks in the first floor, and blocks count for nothing in the scheme of things in this type of houses.

We see some of this works done in the western world on national geographic or discovery. There is no chance that any standards were compromised from what I saw on that site, let us not just jump into conclusions.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 11:09pm On Jul 08, 2011
Am Alone:

Spyder please don't encourage such things
A house just collaspse at Ebute-metta!
Just 3days ago!!!!
8 people were killed and about 35 injured!!!
it was a 4 storey building!!!!

That is what I say about building inferior things and call them home!!!!
You will never find out even in the next 10years!!! And who say a block
house built to Nigeria standard can last 150year? - lol!!!!
25years is their life time for all this rubbish we build trying to cut corners and
calling them house!!!

And again who keep saying we Nigerian over-build
And we read the news of collapsed building every time like 20years
after they were built?

Seriously, We Nigerians build substandard houses. I must confess even my house was not
build to 100% the standard it was supposed to be built. Yes I used the best materials of course.
But I just learnt I didn't used the right ratio of cement to sand. which is suppose to be 1:3:4.
Instead I used 1:6:8(1Bag of sand to 6 bag of cement to 8 bag of granite). It was well built  I must confess
but the ratio of cement to sand was not 100% perfect as required.
But my joy is in the fact that its a bungalow!!!! And not really carrying any load and got lots of pillars for support

Yes, we overbuild houses in Nigeria, in America where they have hurricanes and tornadoes, we still see houses built with wooden walls and floors and people still live in them! Your house is fine and solid, even over solid but there is no offense if you will pull it down and cast concrete for all your walls, or use 18mm rods to do your pillars and use hanging beams for a bungalow, you can even use rods to do your German floor like a decking, it is allowed grin

There are other reasons why buildings collapse, and its not connected to making a bungalow a 4 story building. The mixture you used is okay in my opinion, and I repeat, there are many other reasons why houses collapse apart from the mixture.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by brabus(m): 11:15pm On Jul 08, 2011
@All, why we una dey fall ourself hand nah!

Oyinbo man go increase stadium (no be classroom o) capacity from 50k to 80k - 100k seater without any prob, but we go run into issues converting a simple bungalow. Na wa o.
We avoid slopes, hilly site, water-logged area, - na wa  o
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 6:09am On Jul 09, 2011
@Spyder:
From the pictures you posted the building/house look solid and strong. There is also almost nothing left from the old structure but I still think it would've been a stronger house or rather a better idea to demolish the blanking old thing and build a new one from foundation. if it was just being remodeled to a story building I think its OK but 3 stories? I no like the idea at all. Just out of curiosity, will a German floor be also needed/done to this house or was there one already?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Sagewood: 8:01am On Jul 09, 2011
@ All,
This thread is like a classroom, where discussions relevant to buildings / constructions are dissected for everyone to appreciate and learn.
The BIG problem we have here is that there is no structural or building engineer contributing to this lastest issue. Everyone is jumping on board without any knowledge of the physical laws regarding loading stress / strain or empirical knowledge of structural systems. I am not an engineer, I am a medical professional.
Let the right professionals educate us!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Demainman1: 8:49am On Jul 09, 2011
^^^^^ Did I see greed in that act? Yes.Why would you convert a bungalow to a 3-storey building? Why not just demolish the bungalow and build a 2-storey instead?

If you have money to build 3-storey building, common-sense will suggest that you should be able to afford another 1-2 million to do it right.

If I be tenant wey dey see d place being built i will not be too confident to pay to live there after seeing similar structures crash down on a regular basis for that country.

My brothers. Make we try cut our coat according to our cloth size please.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by headworld: 9:47am On Jul 09, 2011
A client of ours is in dire need of 3 plots of land in Lekki.

The land dont have to be in same place, as 1 plot per location is ok.

Buying Price is from N60 million.

Interested sellers or Agents should call 08066363000 immediately.

thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by cosmas4u(m): 9:48am On Jul 09, 2011
Check www.cosmaga24.com for land properties. good luck
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 10:37am On Jul 09, 2011
@ Spyder honestly, I must confess to you that we Nigerians don't over build at all. I laff when people say Nigerians over build o!!!! Bros Spyder, have you seen one of this contruction company stand a fence before? Try to study their work as a lover of quality and see why it is very much different from the fence we build in our house. Some things I noticed about their fence is that they all have raft foundation of atleast 3ft high from foundation. Also, I notice they also have solid pillars after every 5 and half block. Even the pillars uses 12mm iron(the once that are very full). Also, I noticed instead of our 4 length their always have 8. That is what I can rock solid. That is just for their fence alone. What we do is use blocks all through in building ours and we call that over engineering? Not to even mention the ratio of cement to sand they use and how solid their works always come out. I have never seen an individual built to half that standard and you say we are over building?

In abroad where we see Tsunami, Earthquakes, Tornado and their likes. We don't have any thing like this in Nigeria and yet our so called over built house still collapse after 10 - 25years after they were built hahahahaahaahaha!!!! Haven't you seen on tv what Tornado and its likes do to those "American-wooden-house" often? And how often it has have to be remodel

We are not building to standard that is why you see houses collapse on regular bases in Naija. Building collapse all over the world not only in Nigeria. But it is too common in Nigeria these days. Unlike most abroad it is always caused by some natural disasters.

Now take for instance, looking at Brabus thread. He wanted to start up a 3 storeyed building. You just check our the research and precaution he is taking before even commencing with the project. Most people don't even do that and when they finish the house later
when it collapse or so, you still tell me they over build it. Spyder take note that contractors are greedy, owners are stindy and workers ignorant that is what we build on. Lastly, iron like 14mm rod,  10.5mm rod and lots of them has been banned by the FG because we Nigerian
will prefer to Manage 14mm rod instead of using the 16mm rod that is required. Or manage 10.5mm instead of 12mm rod as required!!! LOL!!!!
If truly we over-build all this wont have happened. I believe that say alot about what Nigerians like. We always want to save money without thinking of the side effect. Look again what our people bring from china. They go there to buy only the substandard stuff, bring it back home and sell it cheap. Because we always prefer cheap stuffs to quality.

"People Wanna Save Money, But Spend Double",  GOD TAKES CONTROL -----  OLUWA  HIGHEST!!! But if you still think we over build, sir
do you want to tell me for example that the last building picture you posted of a bungalow being converted to a 3 storeyed building is being OVER-BUILT
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fidelo726: 12:38pm On Jul 09, 2011
Actually I have come to realise that ''nothing is impossible''.

I understand what spyder means by ''we over build in naija.
I believe him 100%.
But this is not applicable to individuals who will prefer to use masons instead of engineers to do there building.

Am alone, you said that you used 1:6:8 for your bungalow.
there is no problem as you agreed that the building does not carry much load.

But in actual sense, to obtain the right concrete mix, we undertake what we call trial mix so as to know the right mix that will give us the required strength.
The results obtained enable us to have a fixed mix proportion for the concrete.
The trial mix is done for different grade of concrete knowing quite well that the mix you use for slab is not the same as that for beam or foundation.
Again, in design we have come to realise that when we design for a particular strenght of steel, the one that is bought in the market has a lower tensile strenght.
We also know that contractors tend to cut corners so as to make excess profit by reducing the specified quantity of material or the specified sizes.
For these reasons, the minimum requirement for designs have been increased, meaning that any contractor that upholds to the specifications will definitely be delivering a very quality structure.

But the major problem militating against construction of quality structures is the inability of clients to nominate structural engineers to supervise their projects.
And so, this problem of collapse building will continue unless we come to term with the role of the architect, engineer, quantity surveyor, builder, mason, carpenter and the rest in the construction industry.

For the renovation work, there is no problem if the structural design is followed to the fullest.
By this, I expect a foundation that will be located normally as if there is no existing block wall.
Taking the excavation to the right dept, and the beam rightfully positioned.
Blockwall there is just to save cost and nothing more.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fidelo726: 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2011
on using raft foundation for fence, that is a big joke.
I will agree with you if you are trying to tell me that they used a concrete wall to get out of the waterlog soil and then make a provision for drains.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2011
[size=8pt]STOP PRESS! STOP PRESS!! STOP PRESS!!![/size]

This is to announce the best news of all, just a few hours ago, the lord blessed my family with a pretty baby girl! Mother and child are in excellent conditions, the blessings of the lord has abounded in our family and I pray that this blessing flows and enrich all of my friends who I have come to know and appreciate on this forum. Please help me praise the name of the lord!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 1:29pm On Jul 09, 2011
spyder880:

This is to announce the best news of all, just a few hours ago, the lord blessed my family with a pretty baby girl! Mother and child are in excellent conditions, the blessings of the lord has abounded in our family and I pray that this blessing flows and enrich all of my friends who I have come to know and appreciate on this forum. Please help me praise the name of the lord!

HALLELUYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH - AMEN - AMEN!!!!
THANK GOD OOOO grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 1:30pm On Jul 09, 2011
^^^
Congratulations man, may they Good lord watch over her and protect her, may you never lack wisdom and finance's to provide for your family.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by diordaves(m): 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2011
Just out of curiosity, will a German floor be also ded/done to this house or was there one already?

Spyder880, in support for such renovation, you need to answer the above question. We all know that the big issue with oversite slab (German floor), is to help spread the overhead load hence ensuring stability. We have not seen the inside of the posted renovation, but we can deduce from the little we have seen that the current structure is bigger i.e longer and wider than the old structure right Spyder880? If this is the case, for those of us against such renovation, this is our fear:

# The internal core of the old building couldn't have been possibly dug up, sand filled, rammed to accommodated a German floor as we know it if the old partitioning walls are still standing.

# since we deduced that the current structure is bigger, was the external area dug up for a German floor. Possibly not. We are talking of a three storey building here. Building more beams and pillars without a German floor to spread the load may not be enough.

Yes Spyder880, you are right. It is not only cement mix that bring down building. It is not only building without German floor also, but the over creativity of some of our COREN certified structural engineers which results in an amalgam of design failure that brings down buildings. In life it is always better and cheaper to adopt the simpler way. And the simpler way on this occasion is to tear down the old structure and in its place, a three storey building.

Brabus, just to let you know, if you don't already, that no where in the west will a 50 years old, structurally unstable bungalow be renovated into a three storey tenement building. Only in Nigeria.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by brabus(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2011
Congratulations Spyder! May the good Lord bless your family.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2011
Fidelo726:

on using raft foundation for fence, that is a big joke.
I will agree with you if you are trying to tell me that they used a concrete wall to get out of the waterlog soil and then make a provision for drains.

Take it or leave it bros. You can go and evestigate that.
They build for the future man!!! Against an unforeseen circumstances
That is required. I have notice our normal fence always have cracks with few years
and some fall , while others are always renovated after so much cracks!!!!

You can go ahead believing we Nigerians over build that is what you think
But talking from experience, I don't think so!!!! How many houses in Nigeria
last up to 25years without looking like a billion year old abandoned building?
Come to maintainance, we don't have much of that as well.

Peace!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by diordaves(m): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2011
spyder880:

Thank God. More blessing. More joy. More closer to God. Regards to mother and baby.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by brabus(m): 1:42pm On Jul 09, 2011
@diordavies, I know and agree 100% with you. Points noted.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by bfire(m): 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2011
@Spyder880:

It's nice to be cheerfully blessed with God's own image; that's what we are.

May the good Lord favour your entire family and the love of Jesus flow in your family.

Congratulations.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by za85: 8:53pm On Jul 09, 2011
Am Alone:

Take it or leave it bros. You can go and evestigate that.
They build for the future man!!! Against an unforeseen circumstances
That is required. I have notice our normal fence always have cracks with few years
and some fall , while others are always renovated after so much cracks!!!!

You can go ahead believing we Nigerians over build that is what you think
But talking from experience, I don't think so!!!! How many houses in Nigeria
last up to 25years without looking like a billion year old abandoned building?
Come to maintainance, we don't have much of that as well.

Dont know much about building but one thing for sure is that in overseas they do not use fences like in nig, its mostly flower/plant fence that is common unlike here in nigeria they dont like to feel like they are in prison cheesy and when people say that some people over build that does not go with ur theori its totally something different that is meant
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by AmAlone: 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2011
za85:

Dont know much about building but one thing for sure is that in overseas they do not use fences like in nig, its mostly flower/plant fence that is common unlike here in nigeria they dont like to feel like they are in prison cheesy and when people say that some people over build that does not go with your theori its totally something different that is meant

I don't understand why we Nigerians always see those abroad especially in the US as super humans. Everybody have their own reasons and purpose. There are also lots of houses here in Nigeria that don't have fence. Infact, they are too much of that kind of house. Also, to mention something, America is America. Those places are over developed compared to Nigeria that is just one of the reasons why they can practice such. Again, they also build low cost houses made of timber with zero burglary proof.

This is because of their high security level over there. I can call 911 any minute I notice i notice some strange face 60meter from my house!
I can bet you, before he walk from that close to the house, the police would have arrived. But that is not the case in Nigeria. So I guess
we need to secure yourself since the Government don't practice such!!!!!

No wahala sha! Peace no for Pieces!!
Spyder, Congrats Once Again ooo
FORGET BROSES, GOD Is 2MUCH!!!oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (93) (Reply)

Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.