Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,882 members, 7,806,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' (5552 Views)

Poll: is Oliseh Right?

Yes: 52% (37 votes)
No: 47% (33 votes)
This poll has ended

Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie / Official: Siasia Leaves Odemwingie Out Of Argentina Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by Arctic(m): 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2011
Listen to the full interview here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13718301.stm

Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has'

I totall agree with Sunday Oliseh on this one.

Siaisa clearly made the wrong decision by leaving him out. He could have dealt with the situation in a different manner and not allow his ego to interfer with his judgement.

Any comments welcome

Arctic
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by honeric01(m): 2:14pm On Jun 25, 2011
To me what i would have done if Osaze actually hasn't apologized is to invite him but always leave him on the bench, unless we are in a tight corner, he won't be used, with this, if he decides not to play well, i can decide not to invite him for the next match hence be justified.

@OP

But the article didn't state anything about Osaze Odewingie, so where did you get that part from?
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by mikuz(m): 2:24pm On Jun 25, 2011
True true! Oliseh is so so right! That's why i respect him any day any time!
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by odumchi: 3:06am On Jun 27, 2011
Nigeria's Super Eagles are getting old. We need new, young players. I don't support what Oliseh says because it is a large morale dropper. Why tell your entire team that they are not good enough and expect good results? If Osaze Is the only World Class player then what difference will having him on the team do?

Nigeria needs new and young players who are 17,18,19,20 etc. There are tons of good youth players scattered around the East and the rest of Nigeria looking for sponsoring. Nigeria should adopt what England does. In England, youth are sponsored up until they are adults and once old enough, they join the main squad. I'm sure England has many players ready to replace Rponey once he retires.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by mensdept: 4:00am On Jun 27, 2011
odumchi:

Nigeria's Super Eagles are getting old. We need new, young players. I don't support what Oliseh says because it is a large morale dropper. Why tell your entire team that they are not good enough and expect good results? If Osaze Is the only World Class player then what difference will having him on the team do?

Nigeria needs new and young players who are 17,18,19,20 etc. There are tons of good youth players scattered around the East and the rest of Nigeria looking for sponsoring. Nigeria should adopt what England does. In England, youth are sponsored up until they are adults and once old enough, they join the main squad. I'm sure England has many players ready to replace Rponey once he retires.

My friend sharrap about England. When last did they reach the Semi's at the World Cup or Euro Championship? They are big for nothing, just like Nigeria.

Oliseh is right about saying that Odem Odem is a world class player and the team lacks good players. They have lacked good players since 2006, and currenlty on the verge of crashing out the next ANC before it begins
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by Yewe2011(m): 4:06am On Jun 27, 2011
what about Taye Taiwo who just signed with AC Milan?
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by kcjazz(m): 4:15am On Jun 27, 2011
Oliseh is becoming a critic and he is not contributing anything.  tongue That said, not sure what he means by "Osaze is the only World Class Player undecided.", I would think a player that plays in the Champions league or one who won a trophy in a European league would be called world class, maybe the meaning has changed.

Osaze broke camp rules and tweeted about his actions, both actions he won't dare take against his West Brom coach. He should apologize to the team or take a walk.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by Nobody: 4:21am On Jun 27, 2011
While I agree with most of what Oliseh said in that interview,and as much as I Like Odemwingie and agree that he is a good player,I think labelling him as a world class player is a bit over the top.
We certainly need Odemwingie in the team,because he is Nigerias best player right now, but "World class", I have to disagree.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by mensdept: 4:36am On Jun 27, 2011
Richvkunt:

While I agree with most of what Oliseh said in that interview,and as much as I Like Odemwingie and agree that he is a good player,I think labelling him as a world class player is a bit over the top.
We certainly need Odemwingie in the team,because he is Nigerias best player right now, but "World class", I have to disagree.

Disagree based on what? How has TT who has signed for Milan improved Nigeria in the last 3 years? Or is it Calamity Yobo who is very uninspiring as a skipper. Or Martins, Yakubu, Keita, Haruna, or Kalu Uche?

I'll say some new players definately need to have an opportunity like Joel Obi, but seriously, we dont have any DOS SANTOS
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by odumchi: 6:06am On Jun 27, 2011
Isn't everyone entitled to his or her free opinion? The military era has ended.

mens dept:

My friend sharrap about England. When last did they reach the Semi's at the World Cup or Euro Championship? They are big for nothing, just like Nigeria.

Oliseh is right about saying that Odem Odem is a world class player and the team lacks good players. They have lacked good players since 2006, and currenlty on the verge of crashing out the next ANC before it begins
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by Puvguy: 6:46am On Jun 27, 2011
Oliseh is spot on! Most of our players outside the country are average/mediocre.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by McCoy91(m): 8:11am On Jun 27, 2011
Erm, Player of the month twice in a season in the 'biggest' leafue in the world. What else should he do to prove he is world-class? @Richvkunt
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by otokx(m): 8:52am On Jun 27, 2011
Odemwinge is good no doubt but Oliseh got it all wrong.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by TeeJay6(m): 8:56am On Jun 27, 2011
Siasia's ego is going to be his downfall. He is making such a fuss over this issue; just move on and stop behaving like a "woman" no pun intended
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by FlyboyZee: 9:07am On Jun 27, 2011
McCoy91:

Erm, Player of the month twice in a season in the 'biggest' leafue in the world. What else should he do to prove he is world-class? @Richvkunt
Win the EPL with lowly placed West Bromwich Albion, Win EUROPA League with Third Rate WBA, Win UEFA Champions League with an underdog lyk West Brom, then he will become a world class player. Odemwingie is good, yes but why are the top clubs in Europe not scrambbling for him ryt now? Ask yourself that and you would redefine your world class, at least this time without Osaze. my friend wake up and smell the coffee.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by FlyboyZee: 9:31am On Jun 27, 2011
Tee_Jay:

Siasia's ego is going to be his downfall. He is making such a fuss over this issue; just move on and stop behaving like a "woman" no pun intended
Boy! what are you saying?
Siasia is the Manager and he's gat to have the biggest Ego in the team to be able to keep up all other egos in check. All good coaches have big egos Puhleeaassee! Check Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson, Big Sam Alladyce, Arsene Wenger, etc, etc, etc. They all have big egos so that "No One Player", I repeat "No One Player" would think he is bigger than the manager. Their successes usually get into their heads fast (Osaze, Martins, Yakubu, etc) and they earn far higher than their managers (Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, John Terry, Yaya Toure, etc, etc, etc) and as such they feel they should dictate what goes on in the team or do whatever they wish, forgeting that they are under the tutelage of the coach who is incidentally their boss and to the largest extent decide their fate at the moment.

I'm most def with Siasia on this one. He must hold out on his own and stand firm on his decisions. Failure or success of the team would be attributed to him as the leader and not to any one single player. to hell with Osaze if he wants to diss Siasia, he is not the best and cannot be the best ever in nigeria if he continues lyk this. Mind you, the gods first make mad those they want to destroy, Osaze myt just be on his way out if he continues lyk this. Watchout! I say so.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by TeeJay6(m): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2011
Flyboy Zee:

Boy! what are you saying?
Siasia is the Manager and he's gat to have the biggest Ego in the team to be able to keep up all other egos in check. All good coaches have big egos Puhleeaassee! Check Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson, Big Sam Alladyce, Arsene Wenger, etc, etc, etc. They all have big egos so that "No One Player", I repeat "No One Player" would think he is bigger than the manager. Their successes usually get into their heads fast (Osaze, Martins, Yakubu, etc) and they earn far higher than their managers (Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, John Terry, Yaya Toure, etc, etc, etc) and as such they feel they should dictate what goes on in the team or do whatever they wish, forgeting that they are under the tutelage of the coach who is incidentally their boss and to the largest extent decide their fate at the moment.

I'm most def with Siasia on this one. He must hold out on his own and stand firm on his decisions. Failure or success of the team would be attributed to him as the leader and not to any one single player. to hell with Osaze if he wants to diss Siasia, he is not the best and cannot be the best ever in nigeria if he continues lyk this. Mind you, the gods first make mad those they want to destroy, Osaze myt just be on his way out if he continues lyk this. Watchout! I say so.
unfortunately, siasia is not in the league of the aforementioned managers. For once, siasia has never won anything in his career as a manager apart from qualifying for some under-age competitions which he didnt win even with over-aged players.
Can you please tell me the premise for siasia's overbloated ego?
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by kcjazz(m): 9:58am On Jun 27, 2011
Tee_Jay:

unfortunately, siasia is not in the league of the aforementioned managers. For once, siasia has never won anything in his career as a manager apart from qualifying for some under-age competitions which he didnt win even with over-aged players.
Can you please tell me the premise for siasia's overbloated ego?

First off, as a player Siasia is an African nations cup winner, a French League winner and as a coach an African U20 winner. That he won silver later in the Olympics does not diminish him.

Ego or no ego is inconsequential, Nigeria will do with or without Osaze. Yes he is committed player but world class, NO! Per salary, titles, Champions league etc he is below Mikel, Taiwo, Yobo and they are not even on world class status yet. If he breaks camp rules, then he should apologize.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by TeeJay6(m): 10:33am On Jun 27, 2011
kcjazz:

First off, as a player Siasia is an African nations cup winner, a French League winner and as a coach an African U20 winner. That he won silver later in the Olympics does not diminish him.

Ego or no ego is inconsequential, Nigeria will do with or without Osaze. Yes he is committed player but world class, NO! Per salary, titles, Champions league etc he is below Mikel, Taiwo, Yobo and they are not even on world class status yet. If he breaks camp rules, then he should apologize.
You've just listed his achievement as a player, go and check how many games he actually played for Nantes the year they won Ligue 1. If what you've listed above is the basis for his shakara, then I hate to imagine what the likes of Keshi would do; afterall he won countless Belgian League titles, played in the european cup and cup winners cup at a time when Anderlect was one of the good sides in Europe. You never see Keshi bully his players do you?
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by kcjazz(m): 10:41am On Jun 27, 2011
^^^And Keshi is a better coach? shocked He has no ego and he is called "The Boss"? Glad, Siasia did this. You do agree he was in Nantes and he won a medal by meeting at least the minimum number of games, spectators don't receive medals.

African players do not go far because of indiscipline and a lack of professionalism, they have the talent, but that is not enough in this business.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by RoadStar: 10:42am On Jun 27, 2011
Yea, World class but plays in a low level relegation class club in the Premiership.
Whereas like Mikel Obi plays champions league in one of the top clubs in the premiership but is not world class.

Typical Nigerian analysis,  undecided
just turn things upside down eeediots !
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by TeeJay6(m): 10:48am On Jun 27, 2011
kcjazz:

^^^And Keshi is a better coach? shocked He has no ego and he is called "The Boss"? Glad, Siasia did this. You do agree he was in Nantes and he won a medal by meeting at least the minimum number of games, spectators don't receive medals.

African players do not go far because of indiscipline and a lack of professionalism, they have the talent, but that is not enough in this business.
sentiments and emotions aside, keshi's managerial record surpasses Siasia's by a country mile. Keshi took "minow" Togo to the ACN & World Cup(Senior) not some under-age competition where we field overaged players. He also salvaged Nigeria's world cup bid in 2002. If this was any other country but Nigeria Keshi would be considered for the role ahead of Siasia, but hey this is Naija.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by clays: 11:14am On Jun 27, 2011
Oliseh's right on point. Every player has his/her issues. It is the job of the coach to get the best out of them. I see Siasia loosing his job soonner.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by DeGenius3(m): 12:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
Odemwinge is by Far the most successful player in the suoer eagles team last summer,

but eh should conduct himself very properly.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by ikechu: 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
What makes osaze a world class player.Is he better than xazi,inesta,ronaldo ect. What has he won?Clubside or individually at African or World level.

Even if we so desire to equate him as a world class player in our mind, does it mean he can disrespect the coach.even at qua qua club west brom can he disrespect Hodgson.

Osaze should learn how to respect his superiors and move ahead.He is only doing a disservice to himself.Remember what westerhof did to siasia himself simply for an act of indiscipline in the match against ivory coast.Osaze should swallow is over bloated ego for he is just like every regular human on earth as his time will now and will soon be over as other players are just waiting to take over.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by mallorca(m): 1:32pm On Jun 27, 2011
Osaze is the man of the moment
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 27, 2011
Osaze broke camp rules, hence should apologize. If he cannot he should take a hike.
It will be only a matter of time before he needs the national team to aid his career.
angry
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by TeeJay6(m): 1:58pm On Jun 27, 2011
yomola:

Osaze broke camp rules, hence should apologize. If he cannot he should take a hike.
It will be only a matter of time before he needs the national team to aid his career. angry

What career? What has he won in the 8-10 years or so he's been playing for the national team? The bottom line is he does not need the national side as much as they need him. We are talking about a player who has already played in the Champions league, World cup, olympics what other exposure does he need?
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by chimaike: 2:01pm On Jun 27, 2011
Tee_Jay:

God bless you, in as much i do not support Osaze's rude behiavour and pride, but Siasia should over look some certain things, he should focus on achieving his goals and he needs player like Osaze in our national team to enable him achieve his goals. He should be aware that most Nigerians are not patient with our leaders and those in authority, those people that are supporting him to be hard on Osaze, will be the same people that we fight for his removal, if he enventually fails.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by johnjoel(m): 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2011
Tee_Jay:

sharaap ur mouth b4 i helep you sharaap it,,who tond you that eemm sisia is egoing,,see ee make i tellin you Osa fucdup and he deseverrrrrred
wetin he gee emmm gee emm geeettt

Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by aikuda(m): 2:13pm On Jun 27, 2011
Osaze is a world class player, but he is nit the only one. My problem is why we are allowing this Osaze issue to become a distraction instead of focusing on the important games ahead? I do not think Siasia "issues" with Osaze has anything to do with discipline anymore. For some reason that remains to be clear they both seem not to like each other. Siasia is a good coach but i dont think he has managed this well at all. if he wants him to apologize before calling him back to the team why did he ban him for two matches at first. you cannot punish someone twice for the same offence. I was very happy with the ban because I also bought into this hype of siasia wanting to instill discipline, but after I read about him saying he has to apologize to him to the team and to the nff, i realised there was something more to this than they are telling us.

I know osaze has been running his mouth against coaches of recent, but i can forgive him for that because any patriotic nigerian would have been alarmed at the way the coaches were killing our team. Although i still believe he should have left the talking to the fans and others. Look you can instil discipline all you want but fear no be respect. If you want your players to be at their best you have to make them respect you not hate or fear you. Osaze is a proffesional that has been doing his best for the country for about ten yrs, he deserves a little bit of slack. After the public apology he made, a good manager would have called him to camp and make him apologise to his team for deserting them without making a big issues out of it. Siasia think the media is the one causing the distraction for continuing to ask questions about Osaze, but if you refuse to call someone like osaze to camp at his current form people will ask quetions, hence the distraction. I would even invite him and maybe not start him in tthe game or fine him or something. make him work his way back. That would have removed the attention he is getting now whether good or bad.

Again no one really knows what happeed btw them, osaze has claimed that sia1 is aware of his departure. if that is the case the nff is right for wanting to look into this becuase it can happen to another player. Just as we must guard against player indiscipline we must also ensure siasia does not become this own enemy because of his managerial approach.
Re: Oliseh : 'Odemwingie is the only world class player Nigeria has' by babaowo: 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2011
oliseh don cause whala again oooo,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester City Goalkeeper Ederson Signs Contract Extension Through 2026 / Fifa World Footballer Of The Year: Shortlisted Players / Pele & The Nigerian Civil War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.