Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? (2078 Views)

Well Motivated Radiographers As Panacea To Medical Tourism In Nigeria / It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one / Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2011
Is there a market for knowledge tourism in Nigeria? i.e people who want to travel abroad not to emigrate, but for the sole purpose of gaining unconventional knowledge (not classroom knowledge). For example, someone travels to Brazil for 6 months to learn Portuguese, experience the culture and learn the way Brazilian people do things. During the 6 month period, the "knowledge tourist" might engage in unpaid/voluntary work (again, just to experience the way things are done there), social activites etc.

Obviously, this sort of tourism costs money as the tourist will not have a sustainable source of income during this period. Also, it is probably most suitable for the unmarried or "unattached" due to the pressures of relationships. However, do the benefits of this sort of activity outweigh the costs? i.e Is it worth undergoing such an activity to come back to Nigeria and have on one's CV "With my work experience in Brazil/Columbia/Cuba for 6 months, I gained X, Y, Z skills and I now speak fluent Spanish".

So my questions are :-

- Do you attach value to gaining knowledge, over gaining cash (especially if the knowledge is capable of helping you gain cash in the future?)
- If you had disposable income, is this an activity you would be interested in undertaking?

1 Like

Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by makintade(m): 6:22pm On Jun 26, 2011
naijacutee:

Is there a market for knowledge tourism in Nigeria? i.e people who want to travel abroad not to emigrate, but for the sole purpose of gaining unconventional knowledge (not classroom knowledge). For example, someone travels to Brazil for 6 months to learn Portuguese, experience the culture and learn the way Brazilian people do things. During the 6 month period, the "knowledge tourist" might engage in unpaid/voluntary work (again, just to experience the way things are done there), social activites etc.

Obviously, this sort of tourism costs money as the tourist will not have a sustainable source of income during this period. Also, it is probably most suitable for the unmarried or "unattached" due to the pressures of relationships. However, do the benefits of this sort of activity outweigh the costs? i.e Is it worth undergoing such an activity to come back to Nigeria and have on one's CV "With my work experience in Brazil/Columbia/Cuba for 6 months, I gained X, Y, Z skills and I now speak fluent Spanish".

- Do you attach value to gaining knowledge, over gaining cash (especially if the knowledge is capable of helping you gain cash in the future?)
- If you had disposable income, is this an activity you would be interested in undertaking?

Sorry for going off your topic Naijacutee. I made a post on Startups under the Money/Business section and i was auto banned.

My username is: E_force

Thanks
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 7:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 1:51am On Jun 28, 2011
Well, we saw the (Jewish?) girl that travelled to Ibadan to learn Yoruba. Nigerian languages can be taught.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 7:43am On Jun 28, 2011
naijacutee:

I don't see why not. Though, expect to get 90% of prospective emigres instead. Most people from poor countries like Nigeria trave abroad in search of a better life, and not for knowledge.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by iice(f): 8:29am On Jun 28, 2011
Hmmm don't see it as just gaining knowledge. Also as something fun tongue
I always wanted to go to the Amazon. That or an experience with bedouins.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by Blakjewelry(m): 9:15am On Jun 28, 2011
Yes knowledge is power. But the problem with Nigerians is that we lack career people, i mean everybody is just down for the money. Well, it all boil down to poverty and unconscious competition among everybody. As for me, i live your whole write up in my dreamz.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by faceurbook: 10:26am On Jun 28, 2011
It depends on individuals. Me I will be engaging in that from mid August, I will b traversing Kenya, Zambia and South Africa. I will spending 2 weeks in a settlement few kilometres away from Luanda where I will be joining some volunteers coming in from the U.S and Canada to renovate homes for the poor, we go dig, carry block, plaster, paint, we go dey work from 8a.m-4p.m (mon-sat) the host community go provide food and shelter, evenings and sundays the group go dey go sightseeing and on the last day, the host community go host a feast for us in a big way, then I move to Kenya where I wud b staying in Nairobi in a serene environment for 7 days, my feeding and accommodation go cost me about 14,000 kenya Shillings (about $152) and I get to volunteer in one of the National parks that is a walking distance from where I will be staying, get to work with giraffes shocked shocked shocked

Then I will head down to Cape Town (South Africa) where I will be volunteering with some Catholic Nuns for 2 weeks (they will feed and shelter) and after which I head back to Eko akete, to continue the husslement grin

My flight tickets go cost me N272,540
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:37am On Jun 28, 2011
faceurbook:

It depends on individuals. Me I will be engaging in that from mid August, I will b traversing Kenya, Zambia and South Africa. I will spending 2 weeks in a settlement few kilometres away from Luanda where I will be joining some volunteers coming in from the U.S and Canada to renovate homes for the poor, we go dig, carry block, plaster, paint, we go dey work from 8a.m-4p.m (mon-sat) the host community go provide food and shelter, evenings and sundays the group go dey go sightseeing and on the last day, the host community go host a feast for us in a big way, then I move to Kenya where I wud b staying in Nairobi in a serene environment for 7 days, my feeding and accommodation go cost me about 14,000 kenya Shillings (about $152) and I get to volunteer in one of the National parks that is a walking distance from where I will be staying, get to work with giraffes shocked shocked shocked

Then I will head down to Cape Town (South Africa) where I will be volunteering with some Catholic Nuns for 2 weeks (they will feed and shelter) and after which I head back to Eko akete, to continue the husslement grin

man, you're one in a hundred million. I am impressed, really am.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by faceurbook: 1:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
Nigerians shud re-orientate demselves, there is world out there dat is beyond Naira and Kobo. Try move around and no say, the world is bigger than the spot we are standing on. Volunteerism opens us to opportunities, I have been in workcamps with people from diverse race and orientation. We are all born to be free to experience life from different angles, change environment and feel fresh air sweeping through your mind. I have made friends through various work camps (Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, SA). I was invited last month to join them in Macedonia for a building project but couldn't go because of engagements despite they were paying for fare and arranging Visa. They no longer see you as a Nigerian but another willing heart whose hands are willing to serve. Nigerians shud begin to look in volunteerism, you can start from ur neighbourhood, You can volunteer 2 hrs on Saturday mornings to teach kids Maths/English. In Ghana, I with some volunteers from UK, Canada, US, Barbados taught some Street kids English for 2 weeks, the impact was life changing. All it cost me was a bargain N25,400 return ticket to Ghana, the host Volunteer group fed and accommodated us.

That people came from outside Ghana because of them, inspired the kids to focus during the period.

Look at the public schools, kids are not getting anything out of the system (if you want 2 laugh tell them to write a composition grin) one can take up a school let say Primary 6, focus on their maths and English for 3hrs every Saturday, I tell by the end of a term, these kids are transformed and would neva 4get u. Some years ago, I volunteered in a public school in Enugu (Lagos public school looks like a private school in comparison to theirs) every saturday I drilled about 16 pupils of Primary 6 on English Language, Verbal Aptitude, Maths and Quantitative Aptitude from the not itoo nterested in education village kids, 2 of the kids made it to Federal Govt Girls College Lejja Nsukka and Federal Govt College, Okigwe.

Make out time, it counts cheesy
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:13pm On Jun 28, 2011
faceurbook:

Nigerians shud re-orientate demselves, there is world out there dat is beyond Naira and Kobo. Try move around and no say, the world is bigger than the spot we are standing on. Volunteerism opens us to opportunities, I have been in workcamps with people from diverse race and orientation. We are all born to be free to experience life from different angles, change environment and feel fresh air sweeping through your mind. I have made friends through various work camps (Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, SA). I was invited last month to join them in Macedonia for a building project but couldn't go because of engagements despite they were paying for fare and arranging Visa. They no longer see you as a Nigerian but another willing heart whose hands are willing to serve. Nigerians shud begin to look in volunteerism, you can start from your neighbourhood, You can volunteer 2 hrs on Saturday mornings to teach kids Maths/English. In Ghana, I with some volunteers from UK, Canada, US, Barbados taught some Street kids English for 2 weeks, the impact was life changing. All it cost me was a bargain N25,400 return ticket to Ghana, the host Volunteer group fed and accommodated us.

That people came from outside Ghana because of them, inspired the kids to focus during the period.

Look at the public schools, kids are not getting anything out of the system (if you want 2 laugh tell them to write a composition grin) one can take up a school let say Primary 6, focus on their maths and English for 3hrs every Saturday, I tell by the end of a term, these kids are transformed and would neva 4get u. Some years ago, I volunteered in a public school in Enugu (Lagos public school looks like a private school in comparison to theirs) every saturday I drilled about 16 pupils of Primary 6 on English Language, Verbal Aptitude, Maths and Quantitative Aptitude from the not itoo nterested in education village kids, 2 of the kids made it to Federal Govt Girls College Lejja Nsukka and Federal Govt College, Okigwe.

You are so right. But in Naija, most of us are slaves to life. People are busy slaving away to support their lifestyles, their ever-demanding families, church/mosque or whatever, etc, etc. That's where all the energy goes. The little space for recreation is filled with meaningless habits like overeating, parties, etc.

I do volunteer. I'm involved with a couple of youth-focused NGOs. But I like your story, and I'd like to do something similar, maybe not now but in the future.
Will look out for volunteer opportunities like this.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by Koolking(m): 2:20pm On Jun 28, 2011
faceurbook:

Nigerians shud re-orientate demselves, there is world out there dat is beyond Naira and Kobo. Try move around and no say, the world is bigger than the spot we are standing on. Volunteerism opens us to opportunities, I have been in workcamps with people from diverse race and orientation. We are all born to be free to experience life from different angles, change environment and feel fresh air sweeping through your mind. I have made friends through  various work camps (Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, SA).  I was invited last month to join them in Macedonia for a building project but couldn't go because of engagements despite they were paying for fare and arranging Visa.  They no longer see you as a Nigerian but another willing heart whose hands are willing to serve. Nigerians shud begin to look in volunteerism, you can start from your neighbourhood, You can volunteer 2 hrs on Saturday mornings to teach kids Maths/English. In Ghana, I with some volunteers from UK, Canada, US, Barbados taught some Street kids English for 2 weeks, the impact was life changing. All it cost me was a bargain N25,400 return ticket to Ghana, the host Volunteer group fed and accommodated us.

Look at the public schools, kids are not getting anything out of the system (if you want 2 laugh tell them to write a composition grin) one can take up a school let say Primary 6, focus on their maths and English for 3hrs every Saturday, I tell by the end of a term, these kids are transformed and would neva 4get u. Some years ago, I volunteered in a public school in Enugu (Lagos public school looks like a private school in comparison to theirs) every saturday I drilled about 16 pupils of Primary 6 on English Language, Verbal Aptitude, Maths and Quantitative Aptitude from the not itoo nterested in education village kids, 2  of the kids made it to Federal Govt Girls College Lejja Nsukka and Federal Govt College, Okigwe.

I MUST SAY, I AM DEEPLY INSPIRED. THE LIKES OF YOU MAKE ME A PROUD NIGERIAN. IF MOST NIGERIAN COULD BE RE-ORIENTATED TOWARDS COMMUNITY SERVICE EVEN TO OUR IMMEDIATE ENVIRONMENT, THE SKY WOULD BE A STARTING POINT NOT THE LIMIT [FOR EXPLOITS]. I WISH 'COMMUNITY SERVICE' COULD BE ENTRENCHED IN OUR SCHOOL CURRICULUM. IT WOULD BE A MILESTONE TO ATTITUDINAL CHANGE IN MOST NIGERIAN.

YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON FACEURBOOK, THE WORLD NEEDS YOU

THANK YOU
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by MMM2(m): 3:16pm On Jun 28, 2011
No better answer yet? angry
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2011
i.e Is it worth undergoing such an activity to come back to Nigeria and have on one's CV "With my work experience in Brazil/Columbia/Cuba for 6 months, I gained X, Y, Z skills and I now speak fluent Spanish".

This question should be for HR people, sometimes it appears they are mostly interested in the class and degree title of the applicant most especially entry level but for experienced hire this could be relevant

For working people or people with disposable income this should be a brilliant idea but perhaps for shorter period instead of the six months
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
faceurbook:

Nigerians shud re-orientate demselves, there is world out there dat is beyond Naira and Kobo. Try move around and no say, the world is bigger than the spot we are standing on. Volunteerism opens us to opportunities, I have been in workcamps with people from diverse race and orientation. We are all born to be free to experience life from different angles, change environment and feel fresh air sweeping through your mind. I have made friends through various work camps (Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, SA). I was invited last month to join them in Macedonia for a building project but couldn't go because of engagements despite they were paying for fare and arranging Visa. They no longer see you as a Nigerian but another willing heart whose hands are willing to serve. Nigerians shud begin to look in volunteerism, you can start from your neighbourhood, You can volunteer 2 hrs on Saturday mornings to teach kids Maths/English. In Ghana, I with some volunteers from UK, Canada, US, Barbados taught some Street kids English for 2 weeks, the impact was life changing. All it cost me was a bargain N25,400 return ticket to Ghana, the host Volunteer group fed and accommodated us.

I'm truely impressed most especially as you actually sort out this information and it cost less than what most students spend on blackberry and weave on! If they only made out time to search for valuable life experiences like these instead of the daily search for 'internet business'.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2011
Dis Guy:

I'm truely impressed most especially as you actually sort out this information and it cost less than what most students spend on blackberry and weave on! If they only made out time to search for valuable life experiences like these instead of the daily search for 'internet business'.

Not just students, all of us.
Those of us earning money are the ones that need to get busy volunteering.
The students are just trying to ape our premium lifestyles.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 4:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
True everyone should be able to find time to volunteer
if they start as student especially recent graduates It helps inoculate the culture so they
continue with it when they start earning and raising a family the older ones already find it challenging as it wasn't in their plan
before the wife and kids come along even though its still possible.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by HeroKing: 7:21pm On Jun 28, 2011
Hi Faceyrbook,

How can one be a participant on this type of lofty idea you mentioned here?
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 10:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Wow @ faceurbook - I actually wrote this post to prove that people like you exist in Naija. I like your outlook on life, and these days that job seeking gets more and more competitive, this is a good way to make employers look twice at your CV even 10 years down the line!

It's true that a lot of volunteer organisations charge a lot for these placements, however, like faceurbook has proved, this isn't always the case. If you know where to look, you can sometimes get these opportunities for very low cost - or even free! For example, the United Nations run a volunteer program, which covers flights, accomodation and feeding costs for potential volunteers. See : http://www.unv.org/

I think these programs are very rewarding, and should be promoted a little bit more in our society where competition is slowly rising.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by bluerange(f): 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Faceurbook

I admire you, it really takes a lot of courage to travel to step outside of one's self and view the world through a wider lens than our everyday lives allow. especially not just only taking pictures when we travel but leaving our footprints behind. It has given me something to ponder on. KEEP IT UP!
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by sandraa(f): 11:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
Best thread i ve seen on nairaland!!!
i really want to volunteer, i hope they accept my application!!
wat a rewarding feeling one will have for serving humanity.

Especially in in a location where you can do it well witout distractions from family and frds!
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by N101: 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I don't see why not. Though, expect to get 90% of prospective emigres instead. Most people from poor countries like Nigeria trave abroad in search of a better life, and not for knowledge.

It can work in Nigeria so long as those involved aren't looking to gouge/exploit the participants. It can be done at local level and bring in reasonable income so long as the end result is achieved i.e. learning the local language and getting involved in local projects. People are hospitable enough and it can work when they see the value it will bring to them locally.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 6:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
N101:

It can work in Nigeria so long as those involved aren't looking to gouge/exploit the participants. It can be done at local level and bring in reasonable income so long as the end result is achieved i.e. learning the local language and getting involved in local projects. People are hospitable enough and it can work when they see the value it will bring to them locally.

If the promoters are not like Mr Fred of Crystal Services, I'm sure they will do a thorough job of vetting prospective applicants. Why would anyone want to disappear in Malawi? Though I don't put it past our people. undecided
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by violent(m): 7:10pm On Sep 28, 2011
faceurbook:

Hi, can i ask, how did you come by this volunteer arrangements?
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by tpia5: 7:13pm On Sep 28, 2011
It depends on individuals. Me I will be engaging in that from mid August, I will b traversing Kenya, Zambia and South Africa. I will spending 2 weeks in a settlement few kilometres away from Luanda where I will be joining some volunteers coming in from the U.S and Canada to renovate homes for the poor, we go dig, carry block, plaster, paint, we go dey work from 8a.m-4p.m (mon-sat) the host community go provide food and shelter, evenings and sundays the group go dey go sightseeing and on the last day, the host community go host a feast for us in a big way, then I move to Kenya where I wud b staying in Nairobi in a serene environment for 7 days, my feeding and accommodation go cost me about 14,000 kenya Shillings (about $152) and I get to volunteer in one of the National parks that is a walking distance from where I will be staying, get to work with giraffes

Then I will head down to Cape Town (South Africa) where I will be volunteering with some Catholic Nuns for 2 weeks (they will feed and shelter) and after which I head back to Eko akete, to continue the husslement

why fly halfway around africa when the same situation you're going to fix, is right there in lagos and other parts of nigeria?

are you nigerian, or am i missing something.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 7:17pm On Sep 28, 2011
tpia@:

why fly halfway around africa when the same situation you're going to fix, is right there in lagos and other parts of nigeria?

are you nigerian, or am i missing something.

Well, there's not much by way of organized volunteer projects in Nigeria, believe it or not. Just a few NGOs,some of which are merely a bunch of smart alecs trying to take people's money. I've lost some doe in the past to such.

violent:

Hi, can i ask, how did you come by this volunteer arrangements?

Not holding brief for that poster, but you can try www.africanimpact.org.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by tpia5: 7:20pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^i think habitat for humanity is also in nigeria and besides that, the need in the country is just as great as anything you're going to do elsewhere.
Re: Is There A Market For "knowledge Tourism" In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:33pm On Sep 28, 2011
tpia@:

^^i think habitat for humanity is also in nigeria and besides that, the need in the country is just as great as anything you're going to do elsewhere.

Yeah.
But sometimes people want to get out of their immediate environment. Though I do agree there is a lot to be done in Nig.

(1) (Reply)

Farting In The Office / Federal Ministry Of Works Or National Water Resources Institute Kaduna. / Entry Level Salary Ranges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.