Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders (22168 Views)

(PICTURES) Discrimination Between Nigerian Candidates And Ghanian Candidates / Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) / The Difference Between HND And BSC Is Discrimination - Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by calebrita(m): 8:25pm On Jun 26, 2011
PLEASE CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN WHY THE DISCRIMINATION BETWEEN HND AND BSC IS SO MUCH.
IN SOME PLACES BSC EARN TWICE AS HND.
BUT IN MOST OF THE ADVERT PLACEMENT PEOPLE THE WILL TELL US BSC OR ITS EQUIVALENT.
WHAT IS BSC EQUIVALENT.
PLEASE NAIRALANDERS TELL ME
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 27, 2011
Coke & pepsi na the same? U can't compare a 3yr HND course with a 4, or 5yr B.Sc. The admission & financial requirements, years of study, etc. Forget the facts that our universities are dilapidated, the polytechs aren't any better off.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by coded777: 11:23pm On Jun 27, 2011
This kweshon is 4d apropate autority to ansa, not here,
but know dis dat most hND oldas are beta of many b.Sc holders.

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Oduleke: 12:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
Frm my perspective, syllabi is d cause.if u ask any1 wu has gone tru poly edu b4 dat of uni,(s)he is goin 2 tell u dt they are nt cmparable ONLY in term of syllabi structure, frm xperience,20pages of a lecture/course title note in a poly will turn to b of 50pages or more in a uni, ds is due to d xperience of d LECTURERS.(a prof/ph.doctor cmpared to an hnd/a b.sc hlder.MIND U,U CAN ONLY GV OUT WAT U AV&U CAN NT GV OUT WAT U DONT AV.
Am a student of poly ibd
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by polytechni: 7:32am On Mar 18, 2012
HND/BSC
Nigerians are discriminating against themselves in every sector. There is no united vision at all. There is this feeling of someone, something inferior rather than doing something positive to improve all sectors concerned. If a problem arises, we should analyse the problems objectively. What brought about this problem or discrimination? What is the best way to remove the cause in the interest of the nation.
? Could there be a way of delimiting or correcting the inefficiency in the system or to bring it up to the expected level?

I am a Polytechnic graduate and I have had about 45% taste of the university, I have the belief that university is superior to polytechnics when we consider the levels of certificates that could be awarded e.g Msc, PHD. The polytechnics could only award HND as the maximum. It is not contestable that the higher degrees are beyond what polytechnics could award as at now, however improvements could bring about this in the future. The major issue is BSC VS HND. I don't consider this to be a problem at all. They both offer Nigerians the opportunity for manpower development. Employers are free to employ whoever they prefer

Why deceiving ourselves, both university and polytechnic graduates are Nigerians. No Nigerian should be prevented from reaching his/her full potential in academics. If a polytechnic graduate has the feeling of going for a degree course, let there be a fair entry point to continue without discrimination. Both of them are Nigerian institutions in which huge amount of money is being spent by the government yearly to maintain and improve.

Why running down ourselves and our institutions. Policy formulation comes into play here in that harmonization of courses to acceptable standards could be implemented and this will create fair and smooth transition/entry levels from any college or polytechnic to university. Even with better policy some polytechnics may be able to award degrees if they satisfy the required National standard.

We don't behave as if we are one at all. Whatever affects another person invariably should be taken seriously by the other. We are all selfish to the detriment of our national goals.

I as a person, want the integrity of our BSC degee to be retained , also HND should not be treated in isolation but be encouraged as the qualification of significant respect in Nigeria which the holder should be proud of, with open opportunities to take up gainful employment or proceed for a degree or Msc courses.

This should be the objective of our education policy in Nigeria today.

In UK you don't have to spend 4 years in the university to earn a degree. Most of the courses in polytechnics, colleges and vocational training and Diplomas count towards your obtaining a degree.

For instance, HND is a 2 year course which counts towards your obtaining a year 2 level for a degree in the said course. After your HND, you only need to study for a year[ level 3 degree courses] to obtain a degree. Sometimes there are subject for subject exceptions.

Also, a level 5 diploma in health and social course which you can obtain without going to a college or university but on the job assessment and training counts towards your degree. Hence for someone who has not attended the conventional schools but satisfies the national requirements could bag a degree after about a year of study in a university.

ACCA, CIB, CIMA members have specific one year courses tailored for their need which when such holder studies, he or she will be awarded a Msc

CONCLUSION: HND holders are Nigerians and the policy should address their concerns and needs among others. There is no point to compare HND to Degre or vice versa, they should be mutually inclusive. They should complement each other for the benefit of nigeria

For Bsc holders I say congratulations. For HND holders who feel confident enough I say congratulations. For the HND holders who are facing discrimination, I will say well done, you should realize you are a part of Nigeria and please don't forget neglect, mismanagement, discrimination, lack of national goal/vision, everyone for himself etc are common place in Nigeria today. Please brace up yourselves and look for available opportunities without letting yourselves down to any close system.. A NATION THAT IS DIVIDED AGAINST HERSELF

Thanks

7 Likes

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Emmy3(m): 4:45am On Jul 29, 2012
Hm. . .
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Hndholder(m): 3:44pm On Apr 25, 2013
you are not forced to attend polytechnic
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
HND in nigeria is equivalent to a Bsc by virtue of years spent in the school to obtain it and the content of the syllabus. The difference btw the two is that the HND has a technical bias which the degree lacks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by movicy(m): 5:10pm On Dec 14, 2013
Justosaus: Coke & pepsi na the same? U can't compare a 3yr HND course with a 4, or 5yr B.Sc. The admission & financial requirements, years of study, etc. Forget the facts that our universities are dilapidated, the polytechs aren't any better off.
. Na wa 4 u ooo, HND in Nigeria is 5yrs plus its a year I.T
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Francomekus(m): 5:44pm On Dec 14, 2013
ppl say that HND and Bsc should be same, should also help me tell government to make Bsc and Msc the same.
i wasted a year, some of my friends wasted 3,4,5 years just to get the university,and someone who cant wait for university, going to poly that same year will want HND to be same with Bsc. mehn wake up from that dream. i will also want OND to be same with HND.

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 8:49pm On Dec 14, 2013
Francomekus: ppl say that HND and Bsc should be same, should also help me tell government to make Bsc and Msc the same.
i wasted a year, some of my friends wasted 3,4,5 years just to get the university,and someone who cant wait for university, going to poly that same year will want HND to be same with Bsc. mehn wake up from that dream. i will also want OND to be same with HND.
what a naive post.

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by kufrejames: 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2013
the difference is simply b/c THERE IS UNITY IN UNIVERSITY AND POLITICS IN POLITHECHNIC....i rest my case

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by valdprof: 8:52am On Dec 15, 2013
zebra: what a naive post.
dat is the sharpest truth of the day

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by valdprof: 9:03am On Dec 15, 2013
calebrita: PLEASE CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN WHY THE DISCRIMINATION BETWEEN HND AND BSC IS SO MUCH.
IN SOME PLACES BSC EARN TWICE AS HND.
BUT IN MOST OF THE ADVERT PLACEMENT PEOPLE THE WILL TELL US BSC OR ITS EQUIVALENT.
WHAT IS BSC EQUIVALENT.
PLEASE NAIRALANDERS TELL ME
stop being pretentious . Someone could get 250 in jamb and yet would not be admitted in a uni , while another manchi that scored 160 or less would be admitted so easily in a poly..,. THAT ACCOUNTS FOR BSC-HND DICHOTOMY

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 9:22am On Dec 15, 2013
valdprof: stop being pretentious . Someone could get 250 in jamb and yet would not be admitted in a uni , while another manchi that scored 160 or less would be admitted so easily in a poly..,. THAT ACCOUNTS FOR BSC-HND DICHOTOMY
Yes, that's why u spend more years in the poly before getting HND, but that doesn't imply an inferiority in what they are taught, and the knowledge/skills they acquire.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 12:04pm On Dec 15, 2013
Justosaus: Coke & pepsi na the same? U can't compare a 3yr HND course with a 4, or 5yr B.Sc. The admission & financial requirements, years of study, etc. Forget the facts that our universities are dilapidated, the polytechs aren't any better off.
This shows how uninformed u are about d nigerian polytechnic system. Polytechnic students in nigeria spend 5 years to get HND certificate. They are given ND after the first 2 years, then they go for one year industrial training, before coming back to spend another 2 years to get HND. The admission requirements are the same with that of the university (5 O' level credits with maths and english). What else again?
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 12:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Francomekus(m): 1:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
zebra: what a naive post.
you will call it naive becos you are in poly. Mind you " It is not the quality of the desired object that gives us pleasure, but rather the energy of our appetites' and our appetites for university is greater than that of poly ( ask your fellow poly students). mind you also that poly has to do with the practical aspect and university has to do with theorytical aspect. someone who read engineering in poly is called a TECHNOLOGIST while someone who read it in university is called an ENGINEER. So Bsc and HND are not the same. i might be naive but you are selfish, thinking about how something will benefit only you. my poly friend told me plain that Bsc and HND cant be the same. Menh think straight 4 once.

1 Like

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 3:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
Francomekus:
you will call it naive becos you are in poly. Mind you " It is not the quality of the desired object that gives us pleasure, but rather the energy of our appetites' and our appetites for university is greater than that of poly ( ask your fellow poly students). mind you also that poly has to do with the practical aspect and university has to do with theorytical aspect. someone who read engineering in poly is called a TECHNOLOGIST while someone who read it in university is called an ENGINEER. So Bsc and HND are not the same. i might be naive but you are selfish, thinking about how something will benefit only you. my poly friend told me plain that Bsc and HND cant be the same. Menh think straight 4 once.
Point of correction, i'm not a student. I passed thru both systems. I have done ND, HND, and Bsc. I have tasted both schools and can tell u d difference better. Mind u, engineers can do nothing in engineering without the technologists. They compliment the job of d engineers. In d UK, they don't discriminate; engineers and technologist are at par salary wise.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Francomekus(m): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2013
[quote author=zebra] Point of correction, i'm not a student. I passed thru both systems. I have done ND, HND, and Bsc. I have tasted both schools and can tell u d difference better. Mind u, engineers can do nothing in engineering without the technologists. They compliment the job of d engineers. In d UK, they don't discriminate; engineers and technologist are at par salary wise.[p
pardon me for thinking you were a student .but in engineering family, we also have technicians which maybe OND holders, are they also paid same. i have no problem with paying HND and Bsc same. But what i disagree is telling me that HND and Bsc should be the same in all aspect. but why did you do HND and Bsc if you say they are same(just curious).
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by tosnat: 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
Francomekus:

You need to learn.you know nothing. Someone who was taught 80percent theory graduates to be called an engineer while someone who supposedly learnt 60 percent practicals graduates to be called a technologist. Its true that bsc and HND can't be the same but your head has to understand that its cos of the Nigerian climate and not cos of the superiority in syllabuses or course outlines.

During my n.d 2 ,while I was doing my project,i met a guy from UNN and was astounded to discover that atpart four first semester he hasn't even heard of things I learnt in n.d2 second semester. There and then I concluded that folks only attend the university to get the certificate,they tend to appreciate what they studied in school when they graduate.

My lecturers would advice us then to find our way to the university at all cost. Polytechnic certificate limits its holders in the labour market but that's not to say the universities are better than the poly.

If you have to say so,your claim is based on what grounds?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
@Francomekus: I had to do a Bsc because of the lack of recognition of the HND certificate and the discrimination against holders of HND in nigeria and not because there was no quality in what i learnt in d poly.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2013
I'm yet to see an empirical evidence that shows that the Bsc syllabus is better than that of HND or that Bsc graduates are better than HND graduates. Yet people come out to say what they assume is supposed to be d case.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by benliz: 5:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
Polytechic qualifications (HND) cannot be equivalent to the university counterpart (Bachelor's Degrees). The difference is made clear even from the point of admission.
The Polytechnics would require just 4 credits in the O'level while the Universities require 5 O'level credits.
The UTME minimum score for admission is always different.
So, come to think of it, the difference starts from the point of admission and generated into discrimination after graduation.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by tosnat: 7:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
@zebra.. What about M.Eng with HND...what's its cons relative to B.Eng with M.eng?...please shed light.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Hndholder(m): 9:05am On Dec 16, 2013
Hold it all. The problem of YABA BOYS (HND) holder can be traced to Ozoro (1966) Ade-Ajayi can feed us with this detail. Mandela fought for the blacks in South Africa. The technologists of Nigeria today has won the battle Most degree holders were once in the polytechnics and Most polytechnic Associations are full of Degree holders. The Population of those with HND has dropped significantly and government may only be wasting money on Technical schools. These schools are no longer in place. Available ones can be addressed as GCE centers. Tokunbo cars and china products has made it impossible to talk about the need for Polytechnics. A lot of decree holders are OKADA riders while some are learning one trade or the other. I do not think we need the HND any-longer.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by Hndholder(m): 9:43am On Dec 16, 2013
What is a Polytechnic?
Poly (many); Technique (method, system, practice, procedure, performance, skill).
A polytechnic, or polytechnic institute is actually a university by another name- a technological university.
The world’s first polytechnic, the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1824) in Troy, New York, has focused precisely on this mission and this has enabled it to contribute significantly to America’s technological development. Polytechnics from their earliest progenitor, the Rensselaer Polytechnic, have aimed to turn out mostly technology, business, management and entrepreneurial graduates. Polytechnics use essentially a hands-on approach to learning, and focus on solving society’s pressing socio-economic-environmental challenges and exploring industrial and commercial opportunities. Another polytechnic worth mentioning in this regard is the Kiev Polytechnic Institute, the Ukraine (also known as Kiev National Technical University). This polytechnic was virtually responsible, through the pioneering efforts of its students and staff for launching the Old Soviet Union into space, by developing experimental gliders, aircraft engines, helicopters, planes, turbine and rocket technology, and aeronautics. In the process, it helped to make the Soviet Union and Russia dominant players in the space technology, a vital and profitable leverage that country still retains today. The name Dmitry Mendeleyev (inventor of the Periodic Table) is well known to all students of Chemistry, just as Igor Sikorsky is well known for the development of the helicopter; Sergei Korolev designer of Jet Engines. All of these high achievers came out of the Kiev Polytechnic.
Across the globe polytechnics have been invaluable in the development of the modern industrial economy. Polytechnic educational pedagogy emphasizes the training of the mind and the hands, and coordinated use of both in the teaching and learning process.

In Nigeria, we have erroneously set up an educational system with a self-contradictory philosophy pedagogy but this does not in itself make the path Nigeria will toe to become developed any different. On the one hand, it declares lofty ideals about creating a dynamic and developed economy, equal citizenship, etc whilst at the same time it places huddles in the way of a size able segment of its citizenry- those who choose to follow the technical education route to transforming the country. It indoctrinates one segment of the education system into believing that idle theorizing will lead to national development, and promotes this thinking to the zenith as a national policy. This is a great disservice that does not stand up to common sense.
what a person knows if one does nothing with that knowledge; what counts in the final analysis is what we do with what we know. This ability to take action is what separates men from the animal world. Education has one often unstated and under-emphasized purpose: effective action/usable results (Daniyan 2008).

3 Likes

Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 12:35pm On Dec 16, 2013
tosnat: @zebra.. What about M.Eng with HND...what's its cons relative to B.Eng with M.eng?...please shed light.
HND holders and Bsc holders are quite different in training. The idea behind engineering and engineering technology are also different. That is not to say that one is inferior to the other. MEng programs are advanced theoretical engineering programs and are also available for technologists in engineering to further increase their knowledge in engineering technology. Nigerian HND holders have been able to progress to even PhD in engineering in countries like US and UK. U can google about engineering technology and read for urself. There is no discrimination btw engineering and engineering technology in terms of job placement and career progression btw both. Technologists have a critical role to play in engineering and are able to get to the zenith of their careers. They have their own career path which is equivalent to dat of the engineers. Engineering is science while engineering technology is applied engineering. Engineers must work with the technologists to be able to achieve the purpose of engineering. They are not in anyway inferior to engineers. The two compliment each other. Without the technologists no meaningful engineering design can be implemented.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 8:38am On Dec 17, 2013
The problem of polytechnics in nigeria is the name of the certificate they award (HND) and not the syllabus they use. If the name of the qualification were BTech there would not be any discrimination. That is why the govt needs to change it from HND to BTech. Science and Technology are pari pasu, no one of them is superior/inferior to the other. The problem of nigeria is that engineers want to occupy positions meant for technologists and vice versa.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by tosnat: 10:50am On Dec 17, 2013
zebra: The problem of polytechnics in nigeria is the name of the certificate they award (HND) and not the syllabus they use. If the name of the qualification were BTech there would not be any discrimination. That is why the govt needs to change it from HND to BTech. Science and Technology are pari pasu, no one of them is superior/inferior to the other. The problem of nigeria is that engineers want to occupy positions meant for technologists and vice versa.

I agree with you sir,and I believe that some polytechnics arent as good enough to award b tech cos they aren't any better than tertiary secondary schools.
Then and again,we have a few polytechnics of high standards,that turn out better products compared to some universities..I think its more about appreciating your area of specialization and knowing what you need,not just about going to school just like every other neighbour or friend..I am yet to see the essence of a university graduate engineer that can't identify simple components or use the basic measuring instruments...

University or polytechnic, I believe its how much skill you have acquired that will secure you a job and a life..not just the certificates or results...coupled with excellent results I believe the sky is the limit.. But what about a university certificate without the practical know how?..are there still industries willing to train from scratch?... What do we mean by saying engineering is theory while eng. Tech is practical?..where are the sciences?.just research?...
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by zebra(m): 12:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
@tosnat: Yes, engineers are theoretical scientists, while technologists are applied scientists. The engineers do research and come up with designs, while technologists implement the design by carefully bringing out the design according to the engineer's specification. They both play complimentary roles.
Re: Why The Discrimination Between Hnd Holders And Bsc Holders by tosnat: 4:54pm On Dec 17, 2013
zebra: @tosnat: Yes, engineers are theoretical scientists, while technologists are applied scientists. The engineers do research and come up with designs, while technologists implement the design by carefully bringing out the design according to the engineer's specification. They both play complimentary roles.

Six lines and absolutely splendid... But when will this work out in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Absu Admission 2011/2012 Update / UNIBEN Produces Heads Of 8 Tertiary Institutions In One Year / UNN Hostels After A Heavy Rainstorm (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.