Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! (13296 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Oba Enitan Ogunwusi Makes 1st Public Appearance A Day After Secret C / Ethnic Groups And Physical Appearance / Africa NightLife/Night clubs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Princek12(m): 12:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
One of my friends recently returned from Nigeria, and he told me about his experience in Lagos nightclubs concerning his driver. Admittedly, he said the driver looked he had a rough life, but that he was a cool and nice person.

He told me that he and his cousin in Lagos went to a nightclub and the cousin told their driver to wait in the car while they partied. My friend, apparently not pleased with having the driver sit in the car for possibly four or more hours, said that he will pay for the driver's entry and alcohol, and if necessary, an ashy.

Nevertheless, the bouncer denied the driver entry, saying that the driver does not have the "right look" for the club, as in his physical appearance does not evince the look of a wealthy or well fed person, and thus entry into the club will not be allowed. Annoyed at the bouncer, my friend decided that they would all leave for another club, but that this time they should go home and have the driver change and look more "presentable." They went home and dressed up the driver, whereupon they set out to another club.

Just as if the bouncer who denied them entry at the prior club had called the other bouncer in the club to which they later went, the driver was again denied entry into the second club, saying that the driver does not look like he is on the same "level" as the patrons in the club. The bouncer said, "bros, you know see the kind level wey dey this club?" "Make una look inside see for yourself sey una driver no belong to this club." The bouncer now opened the door and have them look inside the club, but my friend said although it was an uppity, upscale club, he was nevertheless disappointed that their driver was denied entry on account of his looks.

Being a principled person, as in he had an admit all of us into the club or we all leave, he said that they left the club to another club, but all the subsequent bouncers kept denying their driver entry.

Anyway, does anyone know whether this discriminatory behavior is common practice in Lagos night clubs or whether it is an isolated incident particular to just my friend's driver?
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by tpia5: 1:37pm On Jun 27, 2011
He will pay for the driver's alcohol and an ashy.

How nice of him.

Hiss.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by EzeUche1(m): 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2011
tpia@:

How nice of him.

Hiss.

Do not be hissing. That would have been very nice of him.  grin

--------------------------------------

Even in the U.S., this happens if you do not have right look, so I understand the bouncer.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Princek12(m): 10:00pm On Jun 27, 2011
tpia@:

How nice of him.

Hiss.

of course that is a nice gesture, to offer to pay for an ashy
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Tcrack(m): 2:39am On Jun 28, 2011
the driver needs to go and was his head. he the witches from his village has replaced his head with he-goat head. grin
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by whobemumu(m): 3:05am On Jun 28, 2011
the driver needs to go and was his head. he the witches from his village has replaced his head with he-goat head.

lol , dies
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by eridah2007(m): 3:06am On Jun 28, 2011
Lolz, which means d driver should go and find solution to him self/look  grin
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by whobemumu(m): 3:07am On Jun 28, 2011
well i have done that as well , offered to pay for alcohol and  ashy if need be

cos it seems most of the girls in clubs nowadays are ashies

not all of course , just a lot
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by MeGaStReEt: 3:20am On Jun 28, 2011
hmmmmmmmm. . . embarrassing
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by YoursGEJ(m): 3:36am On Jun 28, 2011
the driver was very determined to get an ashy by all means.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by toyemz(f): 3:40am On Jun 28, 2011
@poster
in this instance I'm glad that the driver was denied entrance
haba, two guys go out to drink and have a good time, and take along a driver
the presence of the driver means that there would be no drink related accidents on the way home
but when oga is drunk,oga's friend is drunk and oga's driver is drunk
na who want come assume responsibility
Nice gesture or not, that was an attempt of irresponsibility
what he should have done as most people do
either to dismiss the driver and drive himself around
or have some drinks and food sent out to the driver in the car
naija sah
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by EuroMeko(m): 3:42am On Jun 28, 2011
I have no issues with the club.

In Nigeria do we have as such as "right to refuse service"?
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by DisGuy: 4:01am On Jun 28, 2011
What if the driver had Dollar bundles across his belt line? would they allow him

or maybe he just doesn't have a beer belly
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by DisGuy: 4:08am On Jun 28, 2011
toyemz:

@poster
in this instance I'm glad that the driver was denied entrance
haba, two guys go out to drink and have a good time, and take along a driver
the presence of the driver means that there would be no drink related accidents on the way home
but when oga is drunk,oga's friend is drunk and oga's driver is drunk
na who want come assume responsibility
Nice gesture or not, that was an attempt of irresponsibility
what he should have done as most people do
either to dismiss the driver and drive himself around
or have some drinks and food sent out to the driver in the car
naija sah

well observed BUT not everyone that goes out for a drink goes to get drunk

chei see oppression and gross anti-green credentials o, drive himself around to waste fuel and pollute he environment
OR ACTUALLY DRIVES HIMSELF TO A LOCAL BEER JOINT WHERE BEERS IS CHEAP AS HELL AND ACTUALLY GETS TOO DRUNK

Next time get a cab to the club get a cab back home ( knowing naija you might be denied entry too if you don't come with a ride)
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by ikoha: 4:14am On Jun 28, 2011
guy, this is the dumbest fairy-tale i have read in a long time, haba, no be the same lagos clubs me i dey go? from mainland to island, as long as you dont wear a bathroom slippers, palm slippers, a short( for guys), or dressed like a christian mother attending an august meeting(for ladies), you are welcome to any public nite club in lagos. mind you that as you enter the club it is not written on your face whether your are a driver, a mechanic, a refuse collector, a pilot, or an armed robber. people that come on their legediz benz are allowed entrance let alone someone that drives even though na molue or keke, i bet you the bouncers will even usher you inside and insist that the dj plays you 'black and yellow' by whiz khalifa. moreover, in the worst case scenario, those bouncers collect tips. they even do pay for two and get one free. i have seen people wearing agbada, konkosa, some wore suits like a banker on a monday morning, and some in long garments like a reverend father or a jewish rabbi in high profile clubs in lagos, thanks to the egunje the bouncer collect.

you guys should know the kind of nonsense you post here oooo, and stop provoking people unnecessarily.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Digriz(m): 4:34am On Jun 28, 2011
ikoha:

guy, this is the dumbest fairy-tale i have read in a long time, haba, no be the same lagos clubs me i dey go? from mainland to island, as long as you dont wear a bathroom slippers, palm slippers, a short( for guys), or dressed like a christian mother attending an august meeting(for ladies), you are welcome to any public nite club in lagos. mind you that as you enter the club it is not written on your face whether your are a driver, a mechanic, a refuse collector, a pilot, or an armed robber. people that come on their legediz benz are allowed entrance let alone someone that drives even though na molue or keke, i bet you the bouncers will even usher you inside and insist that the dj plays you 'black and yellow' by whiz khalifa. moreover, in the worst case scenario, those bouncers collect tips. they even do pay for two and get one free. i have seen people wearing agbada, konkosa, some wore suits like a banker on a monday morning, and some in long garments like a reverend father or a jewish rabbi in high profile clubs in lagos, thanks to the egunje the bouncer collect.

you guys should know the kind of nonsense you post here oooo, and stop provoking people unnecessarily.
u made the right point coz i never seen such.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Princek12(m): 5:25am On Jun 28, 2011
the clubs were on the Island
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:29am On Jun 28, 2011
Tpia already answered for me grin
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by ovo4u(m): 5:34am On Jun 28, 2011
Does this Guy wear some Boko Haram Abada? cos we need to take note of this people in the south too and it not that we are afriad of them ooohh. Pls no offenses it's just a question.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by 9dynasty(m): 6:11am On Jun 28, 2011
how bad could his driver be---this bad
abi na you e happen to, lol

Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Ikeobinna(m): 6:33am On Jun 28, 2011
@9dynasty, lwkmd
@poster, tell me the name of the club maybe i can go there with my driver grin
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Gsmxpert(m): 6:52am On Jun 28, 2011
@thiefofheats

pls could u steal ma heart pls grin i really need a thief grin

i promise no lawyer or police will be involved grin grin grin
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Musiwa42: 7:04am On Jun 28, 2011
One of the many problem of Nigeria, is that people are arrogant, And you find it even with politician . they have the big man thinking. But over here abroad. You will be shock how humble are white people.

I have no respect for some of your nigeria pastor because they too display that arrogant spirit. You can imagine , a man who call himself a man of God , who when ever a governor or rich man comes to his church. He place him in the high table on the alter. You know that Pastor is not a man of God , because the bible says even if the President of Nigeria comes. Let Jonathan Goodluck go and sit among them.

I did not write the bible . So you wonder about some of Your Nigeria pastor and even people .  most of your nigeria pastors are not going to make heaven.

You can imagine on the day of Judgement, a member of the church see his pastor. Daddy, ki le se ni hell fire. meaning what are you doing in hell fire. YOur pastor reply, President or governor ni o. they said, I use to put president in the high table and poor people in the low table. that is why I am in hell fire.

All because pastors want to collect cheque and tithe.  What I am tell you, is that your pastor is not going to make Heaven , he is going to hell .

If I am talking about your pastor , it is time for you to come to know God and JesusEmpire ministry will make you see the light of God. http://Jesusempire.com
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by snthesis(m): 7:37am On Jun 28, 2011
i agree with the poster, the bouncers can tell wether u fit in or not. and will deny access
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 28, 2011
ikoha:

you dey vex o! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Nellyon(f): 7:41am On Jun 28, 2011
Definitely a great move to buy your driver alcohol, make him dance for four or more hours and then buy him an ashy, (am guessing thats a code name for a drug or sh1t like that)
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by egberipops(m): 8:28am On Jun 28, 2011
Musiwa,.:

[b]One of the many problem of Nigeria, is that people are arrogant, And you find it even with politician . they have the big man thinking. But over here abroad. You will be shock how humble are white people.

I have no respect for some of your nigeria pastor because they too display that arrogant spirit. You can imagine , a man who call himself a man of God , who when ever a governor or rich man comes to his church. He place him in the high table on the alter. You know that Pastor is not a man of God , because the bible says even if the President of Nigeria comes. Let Jonathan Goodluck go and sit among them.

I did not write the bible . So you wonder about some of Your Nigeria pastor and even people .  most of your nigeria pastors are not going to make heaven.

You can imagine on the day of Judgement, a member of the church see his pastor. Daddy, ki le se ni hell fire. meaning what are you doing in hell fire. YOur pastor reply, President or governor ni o. they said, I use to put president in the high table and poor people in the low table. that is why I am in hell fire.

All because pastors want to collect cheque and tithe.  What I am tell you, is that your pastor is not going to make Heaven , he is going to hell .

If I am talking about your pastor , it is time for you to come to know God and JesusEmpire ministry will make you see the light of God. http://Jesusempire.com

[/b]

why you de come advertise jesusempire ministry for here na? na wa oh. for this lagos notin we no go see.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by dmz(m): 8:32am On Jun 28, 2011
How did all the bouncers know he is a driver? a good majority of clubs, you can't find parking space anywhere close to the front door.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by playboy19(m): 8:34am On Jun 28, 2011
This happens everywhere. Not only in Nigeria. Even here in the US. If you go to a club, if you look under aged, you're not coming in. If you look rough or not well dress, you're not coming in. Even in some clubs, no matter how good looking you are, if you don't look like a real baller, heck you aint coming in. Some clubs, if you don't come in crew, you bet it, you're not coming it. So it's all about class. In fact, if you don't go to some clubs with chicks, ish you're going in. Some will even let the girls in and bounce you out.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Dotman01(m): 8:43am On Jun 28, 2011
Nellyon:

Definitely a great move to buy your driver alcohol, make him dance for four or more hours and then buy him an ashy, (am guessing thats a code name for a drug or sh1t like that)
. . . Naah ashy is olosho, oscambo, ashewo or LovePeddler
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Nellyon(f): 8:45am On Jun 28, 2011
best thing is, go wit some real hot girls/guys, so they know they are loosing good business bouncing you, and make it known that they bounce one,,, they bounce all.
Appearance is everything people.
Re: Discrimination Based On Physical Appearance In Lagos Night Clubs! by Nellyon(f): 8:47am On Jun 28, 2011
Dotman01:

. . . Naah ashy is olosho, oscambo, ashewo or LovePeddler
No sh1t thanks bro. Hmmmm Ashy. *shaking my damn head*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia / Ibo Traditional Wedding / Which State Are You From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.