Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors (22508 Views)

VOP: All 6 Governors Deny Hand In New Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by KnowAll(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2011
[size=16pt]Anioma and Ikwerres are special Igbos, they are distinct from the East Central Igbos, who are mono-culture, monotonous in their thinking and have a similar continuum of recent historical experience. The Ikwerres and Aniomas have co-habited and lived with non Igbo’s for centuries, which alone makes them unique necessitating reasons why they should preserve their own identity.

Just because they have Igbo names does not mean they should be amalgamated with the East Central Igbo’s. River Niger has made a natural boundary possible, nature has bestowed on them a separate identity. The isolation from the General pack of Eastern Igbo’s has infused into their culture other alien cultures which should be celebrated, why would one want to throw such rich heritage away for some fathom, fake merger just in the name of a GREATER Igbo Nation, this idea is similar to those 3rd Reich in Germany whose sole purpose was the Merger of all ethnic Germans in Czechs, Poles,
Austrian and Slovakia.

Merging the Ikwerrres and Aniomas to Eastern  Igbo’s is like calling for the merger of Austrians with the Germans or the German Swiss with Germany.

Although they are ALL German ethnically, they are unique in their outgoing, both in their tolerance level, and in their accommodation and reception of other non-German race. There tolerance level is higher than the average German from Germany,  so also is their social scalability, they would mix with other nationalities without carrying that proud German barge of being an almighty super race on their forehead.

Same argument can be proffered to the Ilorin’s who are clearly Yoruba’s, the SW does not have any covert plan or desire of annexing them, as they exist now, they have a rich history dating back to the days of Afonja of Ilorin and that history determines who they are, and how they came to be, if you merge them with the General Yoruba population they would lose their identity in a 100 to 200 year’s time
, that is why preservation of cultures slightly alien to the general population should be encourage,  even though they might speak the same language with the General community which in some cases might just be 5 miles down the road, preservation is very important and must be safeguarded at all cost. [/size]

1 Like

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by AndreUweh(m): 4:58pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Knowall, you have come with this your divisionist theory again. Why have you sworn with the devil not to see Ndigbo unite. River Benue split up the Tivs into two, yet they are in Benue state. River Benue was not used as a yardstick separate this group. In this case, River Niger should be eliminated in the instance of the Igbo. Igbo bu otu meaning Igbo is one.

1 Like

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26pm On Jun 29, 2011
KnowAll, that has to be sarcasm.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 5:44pm On Jun 29, 2011
At Knowall, TOO MUCH GARBAGE, NO RATIONAL. OIL DONE CURSE UNA. STAY IN THE SOUTH SOUTH REGION BECAUSE IT MAKES SENSE THOUGH, RIVERS YOUR STATE IS SOUTH SOUTHcool

1 Like

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by NDelta(m): 5:48pm On Jun 29, 2011
Funny enough the Ikwerres in Rivers State will almost kill anyone that calls them Igbos, they do not want to be associated with the igbos in anyway even if they speak Igbo. I have tried to tell some of them that their igbos and not true Rivers indigenes but they were furious. The Aniomas will do anything to be known as Niger Deltans, they do not want to identify with the igbos although they speak ibo. I have one of them as class mates and she always make it very clear that she is not an Igbo girl.

Onlytruth:

Posted by: N.Delta
I always laugh whenever someone starts talking about "Ijaw warlike nature" or "Ijaw militancy and trouble making".

Igbo say that "Onye na ahubeghi agha na akpo ya "aya" "-a person who has never seen real war cannot even know the right pronunciation for "war". undecided

With all due respect, only the Igbo and their Ibibio allies have tasted real war in the whole of Nigeria. Again quote me on that.
We lost about 25% of our population in the Biafran war, and we never stopped fighting except that some of our leaders decided to abandon the war. Nobody in Igboland bought into some "amnesty" even in the thick of FULL SCALE WAR, and with millions dead. For all I know, if Ojukwu had adopted guerilla tactics, the war could have lasted into 80s and 90s. All these was while Ijaw sold out Biafra because of fear.  undecided
Anyway, folks can think whatever they like.

Don't be silly my good friend, we dont need to have a fully scale war with anyone to prove a point. Go back to history, Odi a little town in Bayelsa State was first invaded by the British in about 1905 ( not too sure of the date but you can check the internet or history books) when they wouldn't give in to the colonial masters as a result there was an invasion, search this on the internet. Now don't forget the massacre of the British in Nembe Bayelsa State, this was well documented in history and the last time Prince Charles was in Nigeria he visited the grave yard of the British soldiers to pay his respect, their is also a novel on this called AKASA YOMI by Ola Rotimi. pls before disputing this facts search on the internet and historic books. The ijaw boys today at the water side are facing war planes, armored cars and war boats of the Nigerian military, what is the difference between that and Biafra?
Remember we are talking about culture here, the ijaws worship a water spirit for protection in those days,  they always consult the spirit before going to war with their neighbouring villages, for a long time this tribe has been fighting either withing themselves or their ishekiri and Irobgo neighbours. the ibo man traditionally worship something to make him RICH that is the reason behind the popular BLOOD MONEY among Igbos while the Yoruba man believes in BABALAWO to help him kill his neighbour even when they have head ache they visit BABALAWO, Ijaws believe in Egbesu a water  god of war.  this is not a bias argument
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ChinenyeN(m): 6:19pm On Jun 29, 2011
hmm. . maybe Egbesu and Ekwesu are related. .
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by AndreUweh(m): 6:20pm On Jun 29, 2011
N.Delta:

Funny enough the Ikwerres in Rivers State will almost kill anyone that calls them Igbos, they do not want to be associated with the igbos in anyway even if they speak Igbo. I have tried to tell some of them that their igbos and not true Rivers indigenes but they were furious. The Aniomas will do anything to be known as Niger Deltans, they do not want to identify with the igbos although they speak ibo. I have one of them as class mates and she always make it very clear that she is not an Igbo girl.

You are a no brainer at all. So if your deluded Ikwerre friends say they are not Igbo means Ikwerre is not Igbo. By your idiotic logic, if Sarakis say they are not Yorubas equates to Ilorins not Yoruba.
At a time when the president gen of Ohanaeze is an Anioma man yet you have the courage to chat about your misguided Anioma friend who does not know his identity. How about the president of the Igbo elite group-Aka Ikenga. Have you not known that he is an Anioma man?. Sometimes, some of you guys chat like people with two left legs.

2 Likes

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ezeagu(m): 6:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=16pt]Anioma and Ikwerres are special Igbos, they are distinct from the East Central Igbos, who are mono-culture, monotonous in their thinking and have a similar continuum of recent historical experience. The Ikwerres and Aniomas have co-habited and lived with non Igbo’s for centuries, which alone makes them unique necessitating reasons why they should preserve their own identity.

Just because they have Igbo names does not mean they should be amalgamated with the East Central Igbo’s. River Niger has made a natural boundary possible, nature has bestowed on them a separate identity. The isolation from the General pack of Eastern Igbo’s has infused into their culture other alien cultures which should be celebrated, why would one want to throw such rich heritage away for some fathom, fake merger just in the name of a GREATER Igbo Nation, this idea is similar to those 3rd Reich in Germany whose sole purpose was the Merger of all ethnic Germans in Czechs, Poles,
Austrian and Slovakia.

Merging the Ikwerrres and Aniomas to Eastern  Igbo’s is like calling for the merger of Austrians with the Germans or the German Swiss with Germany.

Although they are ALL German ethnically, they are unique in their outgoing, both in their tolerance level, and in their accommodation and reception of other non-German race. There tolerance level is higher than the average German from Germany,  so also is their social scalability, they would mix with other nationalities without carrying that proud German barge of being an almighty super race on their forehead.

Same argument can be proffered to the Ilorin’s who are clearly Yoruba’s, the SW does not have any covert plan or desire of annexing them, as they exist now, they have a rich history dating back to the days of Afonja of Ilorin and that history determines who they are, and how they came to be, if you merge them with the General Yoruba population they would lose their identity in a 100 to 200 year’s time
, that is why preservation of cultures slightly alien to the general population should be encourage,  even though they might speak the same language with the General community which in some cases might just be 5 miles down the road, preservation is very important and must be safeguarded at all cost. [/size]

1. Ikwerre people aren't the only Igbo group in Rivers state
2. Igbo groups in Rivers state spill into Imo and Abia state, so there is no "River Niger" dividing them here.
3. Anioma is not a culture, only a group of Igbo cultures that are similar and decided a few decades ago to become 'Anioma'.
4. There was once-upon-a-time a thing called the eastern region that merged all these groups, and some more, into one division before states were created.
5. The Igbo groups are already become a bit less distinct and watered down because of intermarrying and the general connectedness of this world (Central Igbo is thought in every Igboid speaking region, yes, even in Anioma).
6. Austrians are not ethnically German and Igboland itself isn't even up to the size of Austria.
7. Nobody ask for you to come and defend them, I like how we excluded the Emir and Fulani influence in Ilorin and went straight to it's Yoruba led past. Nice.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by NDelta(m): 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2011
Andre Uweh:

You are a no brainer at all. So if your deluded Ikwerre friends say they are not Igbo means Ikwerre is not Igbo. By your idiotic logic, if Sarakis say they are not Yorubas equates to Ilorins not Yoruba.
At a time when the president gen of Ohanaeze is an Anioma man yet you have the courage to chat about your misguided Anioma friend who does not know his identity. How about the president of the Igbo elite group-Aka Ikenga. Have you not known that he is an Anioma man?. Sometimes, some of you guys chat like people with two left legs.

Don't get me wrong brother and no need for the insults, this is just an arguments between enligthed people (i hope so). We the "core Niger Deltans" wants the Ikwerre's etc in the Niger Delta to admit that they are igbos so that we can put them where they belong. Peter Odili is igbo but he will assassinate you if you tell him that, most of these groups deny their igbo ancestry for reasons best known to them.

ChinenyeN:

hmm. . maybe Egbesu and Ekwesu are related. .

Of course its idol worship, that is why most of the Ijaw villages are dropping it thereby loosing the original culture gradually.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by EzeUche1(m): 7:51pm On Jun 29, 2011
Why are the Aro not considered such a unique clan even though Aro culture is a hybrid of Ekoi, Ibibio/Efik and Igbo culture?

Many Aro even have Ibibio surnames.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 8:00pm On Jun 29, 2011
^^My brother EzeUche, u should know by now that the ibibio are Igbos and Efik mix. They are technically Igbos of Efik decent.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by jason123: 8:14pm On Jun 29, 2011
Calculia:

^^My brother EzeUche, u should know by now that the ibibio are Igbos and Efik mix. They are technically Igbos of Efik decent. 

NOPE!!! My Ibibio ex will NEVER, I mean, NEVER, allow me or anyone to call her Igbo!!! I really do not know where you get your statements from sad undecided.
Trust me, they are NOT Igbo!!!

No malice!!!
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by AndreUweh(m): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2011
Calculia:

For once, I have to disagree with you on this one.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2011
lollz! She can join the very long que of deny ur ancestral connection with the Igbos.  grin
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by EzeUche1(m): 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2011
Calculia:

That is not true. angry

My Ibibio mother would laugh at that statement.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 8:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
^^Ok! Who are the ibibios den? Where did dey come from? Are dey Efik and how come they are many in Akwa Ibom  and the Efik in Croos River? The Igbo's  mainly traded by the coast with the fishing community and were not known for fishing and I am sure we inter-married with the Efik at some point. What happened to the offspring of that union or culture, becos it won't be Igbo today.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by jason123: 8:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
Small madness!!! grin grin grin

Ezeuche is talking to himself!!! cheesy cheesy grin embarassed
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Obiagu1(m): 8:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
Calculia:

^^Ok! Who are the ibibios den? Where did dey come from? Are dey Efik and how come they are many in Akwa Ibom  and the Efik in Croos River? The Igbo's  mainly traded by the coast with the fishing community and were not known for fishing and I am sure we inter-married with the Efik at some point. What happened to the offspring of that union or culture, becos it won't be Igbo today.  

You have to provide a source of your argument or is it what you feel? If it is what you feel, where did you get the feeling from? Is it culture, language, appearance, etc?

Many Efik/Ibibio and Igbo offspring mostly joined up with the ethnic group of their fathers and not their mothers.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
Jason ur not well ooooooooooo!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by EzeUche1(m): 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
jason123:

Small madness!!! grin grin grin

Ezeuche is talking to himself!!! cheesy cheesy grin embarassed

undecided undecided undecided

I seen that you mentioned this before, but I only use one account. Nice try. . .
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 8:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
I think the ibibio are a  earlier mixture of Efik and Aro-Igbos. They are smack inbetween the two and can't have come from heaven. There are many similarities dey share.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by bashr4: 9:18pm On Jun 29, 2011
ibibios? i thought its the kalabaris that are hybrid of igbo/ijaw/efix mix?

thats what i heard in ph from the other ijaws from delta and bayelsa state region that call themselves the full blooded ijaws they also said the same situation can be found in opobo opobians are hybrid of igbo/ijaw/efik
maybe Ndelta can shed light on it besides boundry people have high tendency to be mixed
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Calculia: 9:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
I have said it before and will say it again. All this confusion in the South-south with every village claiming to be an ethnic group has got out of hand and its time gov sought this out and return most groups to their mother tongue. They are causing confusion.

1 Like

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ChinenyeN(m): 9:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
N.Delta:

Of course its idol worship, that is why most of the Ijaw villages are dropping it thereby loosing the original culture gradually.
What I was saying was that maybe their war god, Egbesu, is related to our war god, Ekwesu.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by bashr4: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

What I was saying was that maybe their war god, Egbesu, is related to our war god, Ekwesu.
they are the same
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ChinenyeN(m): 10:33pm On Jun 29, 2011
Alright. Thank you, Bashr4.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by ezeagu(m): 1:16am On Jun 30, 2011
EzeUche!:

Why are the Aro not considered such a unique clan even though Aro culture is a hybrid of Ekoi, Ibibio/Efik and Igbo culture?

Many Aro even have Ibibio surnames.

Aro is like the Onicha clan, it's not that mixed plus their dialect is almost the same as those from Umuahia.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Onlytruth(m): 1:54am On Jun 30, 2011
I forgot to address the topic.

I think that Rivers State should remain in SS, AS IS. There is nothing wrong with the way the state is. In fact it is in our interest sef to keep it as is. Won't say more than that.

As for Anioma, I really think whenever it is created, it should be part of SE, mainly because the state would be a complete Igbo state (irrespective of what some individuals there say). Anioma sons and daughters have played strong roles in shaping SE destiny, from Nzeogwu to Uwechue. But that is only my opinion. SE gains nothing special from such merger, except that we would have a bigger family, and you know what they say about families -the larger the more trouble.

The only other way to gain is if Anioma becomes the sixth SE state, in which case, we would acquire more clout at the center.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by Musiwa42: 4:54am On Jun 30, 2011
rivers should be
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by udezue(m): 5:38am On Jun 30, 2011
Ibibio ppl are not Igbo. Yes many of us have mixed heritage in Aro btwn Igbo and Ibibio but Ibibio no be Igbo. Ibibio, Efik, Oron, Annang are nothing but clans but for whatever reason they don't have one word to group em as one like the Igbo do. The best I can say is that Efik, Ibibio are very related to the Aro, Abiriba, Ohafia-Igbos.

1 Like

Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by vicenzo(m): 5:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
Lol at anioma and ikwerre being "special igbos" what does that mean? The east central being mono cultural,i hate it when people whose knowledge about ndiigbo comes from what they read from junk journalists and who have not been to the east but like to comment on what they know nothing about.
Anioma and ikwerre are special because they have been interacting with non- igbo groups,then i guess the nsukka people,the izzi,aro are equally special igbos,this is ridiculous,it is not a must to comment,especially on issues you know nothing about.

Lol at anioma and ikwerre being "special igbos" what does that mean? The east central being mono cultural,i hate it when people whose knowledge about ndiigbo comes from what they read from junk journalists and who have not been to the east but like to comment on what they know nothing about.
Anioma and ikwerre are special because they have been interacting with non- igbo groups,then i guess the nsukka people,the izzi,aro are equally special igbos,this is ridiculous,it is not a must to comment,especially on issues you know nothing about.
Re: River State Should Be Part Of The South East since Igbo have 6 governors by abadaba(m): 6:33pm On Jun 30, 2011
vicenzo:

WORD.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Names Of God and the meaning. / Ortom To Buhari: Count Benue Out Of Grazing Reserves Plan / Obasanjo Cant Stop Criticizing Jonathan

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.