Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria (10450 Views)

Marketing Management, Travel Tourism & Hospitality Management Diplomas Available / Fresh Job Opportunities in PORT HARCOURT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by poweredcom(m): 10:34pm On Jun 28, 2011
Hahaha for naija, i dont think tourism is much lucrative
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 11:26pm On Jun 28, 2011
@poweredcom
granted. How can we change the situation? Can 'we', or is it the govt?

@yinkay
u r comparing niagara falls with erinjesa? Lets imagine i want to run an ad on cnn for erinjesa, what can i tout that will make even 5 oyinbos change their vacation destination from seychelles to ife? Will and kate didnt even help matters.

I can imagine an ad for niagara falls along the lines of discovering sherlock holmes memorablia (abi no be there he die?).

Sometimes, oyinbos are moved more by curiosity, mystery or exotic history surrounding a location, which is probably why badagry and osunfest attract those seeking their roots

@nop
true dat. Disposable income has a lot to play. The reason ppl dont flock to obudu is that it is prohibitive cost and distance wise for the average nigerian. U no fit just wake up decide say u wan go there. If it was closer to lagos, it might get more traffic. Imagine the hazards by road or air travel.

@mmm
he's about taking a course based on where he wants to work. Probably.wan go there. If it was closer to lagos, it might get more traffic. Imagine the hazards by road or air travel.

@mmm
he's about taking a course based on where he wants to work. Probably.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 12:08am On Jun 29, 2011
portage:

@Popekay, Phemmie, Yamakuza, iice and N1O1,

Great Input from you guys. It is my sincere hope that we can really develop this industry and i stated earlier i think the real issue has to do with leadership. If you go on you tube  and listen to what the MD of Tinapa has to say about this free trade zone for example, you will be ashamed grin grin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzCiTQfQ_k

Yes, the Govt of Donald Duke or whoever invested in such projects as the Tinapa, yet the place is not even performing! How do we expect it to perform when the MD of Tinapa can not even discuss the strategies he has in place to make sure that even the locals (Nigerians) visit grin.  Yes, Nigerians travel to go shop in Dubai, London, New-York and other places, the question is what are you doing as MD to make sure that people will rather shop in our own backyard since they can get all these designer labels at your trade zone? There's a proverb in Yoruba that says "alagemo ti bi omo e tan, aimo jo ku si owo iya omo" grin In my opinion, i think the MD is just there doing almost nothing,

methinks nigerians would rather travel to uk and shop, even if those stores opened shop here. Its all about the beento experience, and how many times

you should also listen to Liyel Imoke on the same video grin according to The Gov. on CNN interview " government are not the best managers"

transfer of vision from one dispensation to another?

but my question is this- you should at least manage/formulate policies!!! in line to what Cross River stands for in terms of Tourism. I mean, what move has the Gov. made to save tourism? is anybody in the Cross River house of Assembly even interested in Tourism?? We need to get ourselves interested first. We need to be passionate and take pride in what we have on offer.

cr is a state 'surrounded' by oil states, yet with no oil. With what they've achieved without oil, you can imagine where they could have been. Those ppl r a different breed. Kudos to them.

They have their december carnival, during which all hotels are fully booked and everything increases in price mid nov to mid jan. The ppl make money then. Does the govt? Maybe thats why they cant have monthly fetes or fests? Who will pick the bills? We wey wan go go go. We know wetin we dey find.

Without simple things such as these, it will be hard for Nigerian Tourism to really compete let alone market it.

I beg to digress a bit here, look at lagos state and what the Gov. is doing there! Yes. Fashola is simply doing what is expected of him so we shouldn't sing his praises to high heavens, but the point again is, lagos is only fortunate to have a leader with vision and i hope by the time he leaves office, sombody with a similar mind will take over and continue or otherwise, what fasola has been able to achieve in 8 years will just the Nigerian way grin

In my opinion, i think Cross River (CR) is a place to start/continue to promote the tourism potential in Nigeria. After all, Baltimore Inner Habor renaissance (in the USA) did not just start in one day and Disney land in Orlando,FL (US) did not just get to where they are just by accident.

Cross River is already close to the atlantic/sea, structures have been put in place to a reasonable extent (Tinapa, Obudu mountains, unique cultures in this part of Nigeria,waterfalls, very rare specie of monkey/baboon in the mountains, historical sites such as the role CRiver played in the slave trade, etc, etc) All it needs is probably strategies to attract/re-brand things as we want. I think if Cross River can market itself well, people even in naija will want to travel there for vacation. At this point, we really need to attract outsiders, we need to patronize the destination ourselves.
The marketing campaign will start of course from things such as the Airport in Calabar grin we should try and make it look at least like MMA2 in lagos grin grin.

cr even try. At least dem get airport.

If we eliminate the northern states cos of bokoh, and se/ss cos of kidnappers, how many western states with airports are we left with. Forget road travel, at least for oyinbos.

Seems we r left with lagos and calabar as the only 2 viable intl tourist destinations in naija

In essence, there's a lot that can be done to Cross River state in terms of Tourism!!

Peace out cool
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by shawonlese: 12:11am On Jun 29, 2011
Vip Travel. Luxury at its finest.

bbpin 25842477
vibe@palmarytravel.com
[color=#000099][/color]

Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by shawonlese: 12:13am On Jun 29, 2011
More Luxury

Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by shawonlese: 12:15am On Jun 29, 2011
More Luxury

Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 12:34am On Jun 29, 2011
@shawa
[s]u no get anything else contribute? We r talking about something that affects ur daily bread, and u just waka pass. I tire[/s]

@all
so, lets say we want to help improve tourism in nigeria on a state by state level by submitting proposals,

1. which states in your opinion are the most ready and why?

2. Using cr as an example, in what 10 ways can state govts generate revenue from tourism?

3. Given that most new govs inherited red accts, how can they finance this project we r about to propose? Will the fear of sanusi make the banks sponsor, or will they have to sell bonds or look for private investors?

[s]We no fit just dey talk say e good, e good na.[/s]
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by shawonlese: 12:46am On Jun 29, 2011
Watching from the sidelines.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 1:02am On Jun 29, 2011
shawonlese:

Watching from the sidelines.

which kin line be dat one?

Abegii. What has ur experience been in the industry so far?

What verticals r u into?

What is the mentality of the nigerians u have dealt with like? Oyinbos nko?
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by portage(m): 1:10am On Jun 29, 2011
@Yamakuza

are you in the process of writing or even submitting a paper assignment? For your information, i am a Nigerian (Born and raised) and a tourism expert as far as i know but i live and work outside simply because Nigeria does not need me. I have been around, and i'll rather do some work or research for people that do appreciate and want to learn from my input!!! Trust me, i did some research even recently on tourism development and used some destination in Nigeria as my reference. In a very simple sentence------Nigeria is not ready.

I recently visited Orlando in Florida, (Disney) and i can tell you that these oyinbo people have gone way beyond what we can comprehend, Imagine while in Florida, you can actually relive your growing up years in Nigeria? Yes, Nigeria of old and maybe even now. In Disney, they kind of take you back to the things you  used to see while growing up! we are talking about experiences here and not just the visit or vacation.

In Nigeria, what we deal with or what we know is simple a one time transaction where in people come in and all you are interested in is just the money they (your visitors) are willing to spend at that one visit. In my opinion, Tourism is not all about just one visit, but repeated visit through great experience!! Maybe you can look up my earlier post on this thread sha.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by portage(m): 1:17am On Jun 29, 2011
@ showonlese, Good job with regards to all the nice fotos you have up there, just to correct your angle of reasoning, it is not all about copying and pasting other destination around the world pretending to make it look like yours!!!

If you ask me, everybody can do what you just did and thereby defrauding people in to coming to visit your destination grin grin

We do not have it yet as far as tourism is concrened, we need to take baby steps first and until we do that in terms of tourism development, we are going nowhere in Nigeria as far as making good money out of what we have (destinations around the nation called Nigeria).
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 1:39am On Jun 29, 2011
@portage
not at all. Not writing anything.

I started on the track of out tourism, but some people said intourism might work.

Was just trying to see what hope, if any for intourism.

Now, u the expert have finally laid the matter to rest. Intourism is dead. Case closed. I rest my case.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by portage(m): 1:57am On Jun 29, 2011
@ Yamakuze, I am not in anyway suggesting that your interest is not a good or genuine one, who knows, this maybe a starting point to bring back to life what we consider as dead grin grin grin

In your earlier post, you were talking about the western states with airports. Great. It is possible to create or even develop the limited resources we have. I hope I can ask you a simple question here…… what is the government of Osun state’s approach to tourism with regards to the Erinijesha or Ikogosi warms sping?? NOTHING. The Osun festival ( In Oshogbo) is just there for the Brazilians’ to come and visit and we all know that the sole aim is just to cash few naira during this week long festival. See, the airport in Akure, which is just a few Kilometers from these destinations can serve a good purpose! It is all about vertical integration my Brother!! The govt is not ready simple!! Check out Napa Valley in California………it is simply known for Wine, hence people visit this county simply to learn more about winery! And this brings us to the question of Ile-Ife which you raised at some point……, See, with the historical belief and stories that the small city has….the city/village is still undeveloped! What has become of the Ifecity museum today?? Even the Olumo Rock is there in Ogun State (nothing productive is being done to all these places)!

We need to apply the catch 22 logic here……, if we do not present a good experience for visitors, (both local and foreign) how do we attract even more people to come visit We just need to develop these things gradually and it requires Govt commitment in promoting (by way of policies and implementation) at the very least. The Universities/polytechnics in the western part of Nigeria for example does not even have or sponsor a course of study to encourage potential students to create interest in tourism!!! I dey laugh o! OAU, U.I, UNAD, UNILAG, even the so called private Universities in the western part etc, etc does not even have a simple course of study such as marketing (as a major) in their curriculum to even ignite student interest in formulating strategies in such a sector (Tourism)

methinks, Naija tourism simply needs to be kickstarted grin grin grin (pardon me here)!!
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by mkpologwu(m): 2:03am On Jun 29, 2011
@poster,
This course u want to study is not popular!
I advice u to go for medicine so u can find work in a permanent hospital or establish ur own, instead touring round other hospitals.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 2:35am On Jun 29, 2011
@portage
thanks.

Am i safe to assume that there is nothing 'we' can do, unless the govts do the right thing(s)?

No amount of lobbying or proposals can help?

Osun is an acn state like lagos. Fashola's administration was very open to proposals. Ogun is now acn too.

My point is that if they can see the ROI, perhaps that will ginger them?

Which led to my question on what cr govt has gained thus far.

I believe if cr govt is gaining, they will do more and other govts will follow enmasse.

That they r not doing more, probably means they r running at a loss?
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by portage(m): 3:11am On Jun 29, 2011
Yamakuza……… U asked………….
1. Am i safe to assume that there is nothing 'we' can do, unless the govts do the right thing(s)?
My honest answer here is—there’s nothing we can do as everyday citizens! Govt needs to create that environment through clear policies an implementation. It is after these that I think investors, citizens can now have confidence in the system that will enable them to at least want to spend their vacation (shopping, experiencing and appreciating what we have in our own backyard). Dubai was not built in one single day. Dubai was born out of a single vision from a leader that cares on what becomes of the emirate/sultanate when oil finishes!!

No amount of lobbying or proposals can help?
Well, if you have somebody in govt, just maybe………they may want to include you in the time table…, mind you, you still have to make sure they listen to you/carry out your suggestions!

Osun is an acn state like lagos. Fashola's administration was very open to proposals. Ogun is now acn too.
Irrelevant. Political parties are just irrelevant. PDP/ACN/ Buhari whatever………. They are all the same…….the point is…….is Tourism part of their agenda?

My point is that if they can see the ROI perhaps that will ginger them?
My take on this is that…, without being told, the govt in question (regardless of what State in Nigeria) probably knows what is best……….but they simply want to go in to a venture that can provide them profit (in their own pocket in the interim) and leave the country/citizens to continue to suffer in the long run.
CR is not making money simply because of lack of awareness. If there is proper campaign and advert, maybe, and just maybe, local citizens (Nigerians) can begin to appreciate what we have in our backyard.
I'm not sure if youu are aware of the fact that Advertisement has gone beyond just showing things on the T.V or sing jingles on airwaves? grin grin There's also the concept of who you are trying to attract grin grin Allocentrics? or psychocentrics?? when or how to market these people matters in your campaign! grin

Peace out.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 3:38am On Jun 29, 2011
@portage
thanks a lot.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by iice(f): 9:29am On Jun 29, 2011
Lol @ spiritual tourism.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by aljharem3: 12:07am On Jul 02, 2011
op

it tourism and hospitality is quite a lurative business and also easy employment for ur friend

1) u can open ur business in travel and tourism

2) u can get employed in big hotels like eko hotel, hilton hotel etc

3.) u can start ur business in hotels

4.) be an hotel manager

5.) get appointment from the government

etc
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by N101: 12:15pm On Jul 02, 2011
yamakuza:

@n1
how much of a cashcow is it for Japan as described?

End.

Methinks spiritual tourism sells in naija. Synagogue, osunfest, eyofest.

Would have suggested sports tourism as a niche attraction, but someone recently asked on NL what happened to Glo half marathon?

Was looking at the likes of tennis, golf, cycling or F1 but for a country that couldnt afford to host FIFA U17 without state govts, maybe boxing might be a cheaper alternative?

Most of these sports have gambling and bookmaking undercurrents sha, so all join.

At the end of the day, it might be achievable on a state by state level sha, as a form of IGR vs national spearheading or policies.

Do  you know much about tourism in Japan?  The question you need to ask and answer is, how many countries in the world solely rely on the tourism "cashcow"?  End.

Spiritual tourism still only caters to few, mostly local/national, and a few outsiders.

As for sports tourism, please tell me which kind of sports in a country that is landlocked only into football.  A marathon would make little difference as many countries do the same, even better. 

The real question is what can Nigeria do successfully to attract tourists?  It definitely comes down to diversity, and it can work at a cultural/state level.   What really needs to be done is focussing on doing few things very well rather than many mediocre things.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by N101: 12:27pm On Jul 02, 2011
alj_harem:

op

it tourism and hospitality is quite a lurative business and also easy employment for your friend

1) u can open your business in travel and tourism

2) u can get employed in big hotels like eko hotel, hilton hotel etc

3.) u can start your business in hotels

4.) be an hotel manager

5.) get appointment from the government

etc

My friend, tourism goes well beyond hotels.  Hotels can be used to make money regardless of whether there is tourism or not (e.g. party functions, conferences etc).  Even then, it doesn't have to be a hotel.  Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda are littered with very good guest houses which are less expensive and good value for money.

You can latch on other occupations to tourism - for example, a place of interest (think of any one)

[list]
[li]Making postcards, keyrings, notebooks, carvings, mats[/li]

[li]Writing and printing guides/programmes to places/events, maps and brochures[/li]

[li]Sell these items at the place itself - you can either be mobile or stationary[/li]

[li]Be a guide/compere for places/events. Also man the entrance points and provide security at events[/li]

[li]Maintaining the place[/li]

[/list]

Those are just a few.  Now can you see how many more people can be employed - even family and friends - beyond simply running a hotel?
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 12:59pm On Jul 02, 2011
Do you know much about tourism in Japan? The question you need to ask and answer is, how many countries in the world solely rely on the tourism "cashcow"?

@N1 : dont know. wanted to know hence the question. expect(ed) it to be better than 9ja, and wondered how u could equate the 2, unless u were just comparing and not equating ,

very few countries rely majorly on tourism for most of their income, but i assumed it wouldnt hurt for 9ja to add it to its

so, kindly educate me on whether Japan is doing ok with their line of tourism. thanks
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by N101: 4:35pm On Jul 02, 2011
yamakuza:

Do  you know much about tourism in Japan?  The question you need to ask and answer is, how many countries in the world solely rely on the tourism "cashcow"?

@N1 : dont know. wanted to know hence the question. expect(ed) it to be better than 9ja, and wondered how u could equate the 2, unless u were just comparing and not equating ,

very few countries rely majorly on tourism for most of their income, but i assumed it wouldnt hurt for 9ja to add it to its

so, kindly educate me on whether Japan is doing ok with their line of tourism. thanks

Japanese tourism is a mix.  If you wanted to be a tourist in Japan, it's best to learn the language, and not just the language but the writing. It also depends on the type of tourism you want to do, whether an organised trip or individual.  The latter will be a bit trickier without the language backup.

The sad thing is that tourism would not be as big a money earner for Nigeria as other things.  We would do better with focussing on agriculture as we have the resources but little will, especially since the discovery of oil.  Any other business is dependent on improving the country's infrastructure, power being the major one. But that's my personal opinion.
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by yamakuza: 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2011
@N1. ok thanks 4d d info. still hard to decode if they are making meaningful money from theirs.

will assume theirs is not in place for GDP, and that they r manging things better than cr,

lolz. thanks again!
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by aljharem3: 8:46pm On Jul 02, 2011
N101:

My friend, tourism goes well beyond hotels.  Hotels can be used to make money regardless of whether there is tourism or not (e.g. party functions, conferences etc).  Even then, it doesn't have to be a hotel.  Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda are littered with very good guest houses which are less expensive and good value for money.

You can latch on other occupations to tourism - for example, a place of interest (think of any one)

[list]
[li]Making postcards, keyrings, notebooks, carvings, mats[/li]

[li]Writing and printing guides/programmes to places/events, maps and brochures[/li]

[li]Sell these items at the place itself - you can either be mobile or stationary[/li]

[li]Be a guide/compere for places/events. Also man the entrance points and provide security at events[/li]

[li]Maintaining the place[/li]

[/list]

Those are just a few.  Now can you see how many more people can be employed - even family and friends - beyond simply running a hotel?

didn't know, thanks for the info

we learn everyday
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by ruthy94: 11:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pls I need some advice on this, I am in a private university called crawford in my 100l, I am study accounting, uniport just gave me addmission om hospitality management and tourism. Should I leave my school nd go to uniport to study the course or forfeit th addmission .
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by ruthy94: 6:37am On Jan 05, 2014
[quote author=ruthy94]Pls I need some advice on this, I am in a private university called crawford in my 100l, I am studying accounting, uniport just gave me addmission om hospitality management and tourism. Should I leave my school nd go to uniport to study the course or forfeit th addmission .
Re: Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria by hospitalityjobs: 6:40am On Jul 09, 2014
we are looking for Regional Manager & branch Manager for Supermarket and Fastfood in Ibadan, Nigeria. Experience must be 7 to 10 years including experience on Supermarket and Fastfood. If any one interested please apply or refer to your friends.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits / Salary Structure Of NAHCON / Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.