Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,283 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen (2879 Views)

Northern Elders Fault Jonathan’s Comment About Statesmen / Awo And The Creation Of States [1987] By Ken Saro Wiwa / Matthew Mbu On Tribalism, Awo And The North- A Must Read Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by ektbear: 3:37am On Jun 29, 2011
Tinubu praises Awo
on JUNE 29, 2011 · in NEWS

BY EMMANUEL AZIKEN, POLITICAL EDITOR
Erstwhile governor of Lagos State and national leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has praised the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo among other African statesmen for his wisdom in projecting the interests of the African continent.

Tinubu spoke at his investiture as a winner in the maiden African Servant Leadership Awards (ASLA) of the Graduate School of Leadership and Governance, Accra, Ghana.

While noting his devotion to the cause to the downtrodden, Tinubu admitted that he may not be perfect but committed himself to the duty of improving the lot of other Africans.

Acknowledging Awolowo among other African freedom fighters, Tinubu said for their sacrifices, he said:
“Kwame Nkrumah pioneered the way when times were more unjust than these. He devoted his entire being to Mama Africa. He was an excellent son. We follow him.

Sekou Toure refused to be anyone’s servant. Patrice Lumumba gave his life as did Samora Machel. Obafemi Awolowo gave his wisdom. Nelson Mandela has given his years. They were and are excellent sons.”

“If these sons of Africa can make such sacrifices, we must make our own. We must build a strong edifice based on the foundation which they made out of their bravery, hope and love for the people, and of the land.”

“I may not be perfect. I don’t know of any human who is; but I can tell that I am a dutiful and hardworking son. And when your mother is put to stress and constant pressure, there is no limit to the effort a loving son will undertake to end her troubled, sweaty toil; so that she may become happy and prosperous. Thus, anything I have done to deserve this award is nothing but the exertion a son makes for his mother; and the rest of her children who are my brothers and sisters. I have done nothing but my familial duty.”

Stressing the need for greater collaboration among African nations, he said:

“Why can’t we pool our resources together to fund research for better treatment and prevention measures? We should no longer rely on the outside world to fund efforts to eradicate our major medical problem. This problem is not theirs. It is ours which means it is not only a medical problem, it is a test of our political will and love for the poor and weak among us. If we wait for others to solve it, we will be waiting for the longest time.”

Expressing hope in better prospects for the continent, he said:

“I see our children no longer suffering the deprivations wrought by war and armed conflict. I see peace establishing itself in this continent.

Ultimately, I see a new breed of young men and women taking over public leadership and implementing laws and policies based on equity, transparency and liberty. I see them shunning the divisions of the past and working together to promote the welfare of every African regardless of race, ethnicity or creed.

I see a blossoming of democracy and good government; such that we shall no longer take lessons from the rest of the world but the world shall receive her better lessons from Africa. I see a day when Africa will be looked to for advances in the arts and sciences, as well as in politics and economics.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/tinubu-praises-awo/
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by koruji(m): 3:41am On Jun 29, 2011
I commend Tinubu's spirit - more grease to his elbows, and success to his efforts to rescue Nigeria from itself.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by dayokanu(m): 3:45am On Jun 29, 2011
Lets see how tribune spin this
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by EkoIle1: 4:15am On Jun 29, 2011
What great speech, 

I'll file this next to Fashola's NYSC speech.

Very well done Asiwaju Of Yoruba land.

Yes I said it,

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:14pm On Jun 29, 2011
dayokanu:

Lets see how tribune spin this

No need for that. The 1-eyed Oracle of Bourdillion is like a Hungry Tiger resting in a shade, his playful tail hides his true nature. BAT talks democracy but plays the tyrannical dictator, he talks about sacrifice and forgets he was in the US when his brothers (sacrificed on the footstool of democracy) have long paid their dues.

Nobody needs to know whether a liar is telling the truth - his actions are evidence enough
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by cinzo: 5:16pm On Jun 29, 2011
I smell a new speech writer grin lipsrsealed
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by 2mch(m): 5:23pm On Jun 29, 2011
A lot of fanatics here should have their own TV station. They define the Spin in SPIN. They can change position like the weather, and change mouth.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by Xfactoria: 5:38pm On Jun 29, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

No need for that. The 1-eyed Oracle of Bourdillion is like a Hungry Tiger resting in a shade, his playful tail hides his true nature. BAT talks democracy but plays the tyrannical dictator, he talks about sacrifice and forgets he was in the US when his brothers (sacrificed on the footstool of democracy) have long paid their dues.

Nobody needs to know whether a liar is telling the truth - his actions are evidence enough

Spot on!

koruji:

I commend Tinubu's spirit - more grease to his elbows, and success to his efforts to rescue Nigeria from itself.

Gullible soul! You can't discern image laundering? So everyone that is anti-PDP is set out to rescue Nigeria from itself? If you have said "to rescue Nigeria for his pockets", I would have believed you.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by seanet02: 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2011
There they go again. Some people can kill just because they hate Tinubu. You have not achieved what he did in your lineage so it is understandable. South Westerners are not gullible as you people are. They trust Tinubu than you No achievers. Retarded Animals
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by isalegan2: 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

“Kwame Nkrumah pioneered the way when times were more unjust than these. He devoted his entire being to Mama Africa.  He was an excellent son. We follow him.

Sekou Toure refused to be anyone’s servant. Patrice Lumumba gave his life as did Samora Machel.   Obafemi Awolowo gave his wisdom. Nelson Mandela has given his years.  They were and are excellent sons.”

“If these sons of Africa can make such sacrifices, we must make our own. We must build a strong edifice based on the foundation which they made out of their bravery, hope and love for the people, and of the land.”

. . . “Why can’t we pool our resources together to fund research for better treatment and prevention measures?  We should no longer rely on the outside world to fund efforts to eradicate our major medical problem. This problem is not theirs. It is ours which means it is not only a medical problem, it is a test of our political will and love for the poor and weak among us. If we wait for others to solve it, we will be waiting for the longest time.”

. . . “I see our children no longer suffering the deprivations wrought by war and armed conflict. I see peace establishing itself in this continent.

Ultimately, I see a new breed of young men and women taking over public leadership and implementing laws and policies based on equity, transparency and liberty. I see them shunning the divisions of the past and working together to promote the welfare of every African regardless of race, ethnicity or creed.

I see a blossoming of democracy and good government; such that we shall no longer take lessons from the rest of the world but the world shall receive her better lessons from Africa. I see a day when Africa will be looked to for advances in the arts and sciences, as well as in politics and economics.”

Does he have a speech-writer?  This could go in the "Great African Speeches" thread.  undecided
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by djustice: 8:27pm On Jun 29, 2011
Seanet02 and Eko Ile, don't mind the baggas!!

Asiwaju has always been known for his eloquance and ability of speaking. When Tinubu speaks, sages listen to him and imbibe the culture of excellence.

Personally, I just think he's too much joor!! Lion of Bourdillon, Oko Obasanjo!!! Awon na da South West forever. President in waiting, baba! When Tinubu said that we will sweep PDP away, they were laughing. Are they laughing now??
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by success4(m): 10:19pm On Jun 29, 2011
Eko Ile:

What great speech, 

I'll file this next to Fashola's NYSC speech.

Very well done Asiwaju Of Yoruba land.

Yes I said it,

Stop spreading lies. Give us the source of that BOLDED grin
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by aloyemeka2: 11:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
Too late; he is cursed already.

Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by EkoIle1: 11:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Too late; he is cursed already.

Tabloid be your official source of info in 2011?

This olodo no dey disappoint at all, 

Suxs to be you for real
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by EkoIle1: 11:59pm On Jun 29, 2011
success4:

Stop spreading lies. Give us the source of that BOLDED grin

Iwaju Iwaju ni opa ebiti n'resi,
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by koruji(m): 12:15am On Jun 30, 2011
@X-factoria
Would that be factorial as in factorial analysis or factorial numbers? grin grin grin

Obviously you haven't heard about the koruji-political-maxim. It states thus: The most trusted politician deserve 49 percent of your trust!!!

As you can see I am not that gullible, but also able to see when someone is genuinely trying to right wrongs, fight the good fight on behalf of the voiceless, and yet be imperfect. What I like about Tinubu's speech is that he stated that he is not perfect - so he knows what baggages he carries, and for that reason I believe the man has stayed out of actual political contests.

He is still a rich businessman, a politician no less, but he also seem to have realized that greater glory can be had when you champion a cause that is right. That is where I am coming from.

X-factoria:

Gullible soul! You can't discern image laundering? So everyone that is anti-PDP is set out to rescue Nigeria from itself? If you have said "to rescue Nigeria for his pockets", I would have believed you.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by volasunkan: 1:30am On Jun 30, 2011
TINUBU,OLORI-OKO BAM-BAM.

Fun rawon ni won ma fun rawon ni ogun je[they go still swallow poison because of my mentor BAT]
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by djustice: 1:58am On Jun 30, 2011
Tinubu l'oko iya won, shashangele,
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by success4(m): 2:54am On Jun 30, 2011
Eko Ile:

Iwaju Iwaju ni opa ebiti n'resi,
I only ask for source
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by EkoIle1: 3:00am On Jun 30, 2011
success4:

I only ask for source

What source?
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by oyewolejos(m): 3:12am On Jun 30, 2011
If you don't like Tinubu why reply the thread?
Some people needs to grow up. Good or bad this guy is being celebrated home and abroad and you still remain your poverty-ravaged self.
They said he his not Asiwaju of Yorubaland. He hasn't mentioned it in any fora that he want to be the Asiwaju but we all know who the crown fits.

•Ex-Lagos governor bags maiden African Servant Leadership Award in Ghana

mid fanfare, Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) National Leader Asiwaju Bola Tinubu yesterday received the maiden African Servant Leadership Award’ in Accra, Ghana.

It was at an impressive ceremony witnessed by statesmen, politicians, scholars, traditional rulers and top government functionaries from the West Africa sub-region.

The award was organised by the Ghana Graduate School of Leadership and Governance, Accra.

Tinubu was honoured along with 14 others, including individuals and corporate institutions, having been adjudged to have demonstrated leadership in their service to humanity.

The ACN National Leader was nominated for the ‘Political Leadership’ category of the awards. Other recipients are Nana Oyelita ( Legal Leadership), Gifty Chanpong (Enterpreneurship Leadership), Asokoh Koseh (Security), Angela Anguadi (Women Empowerment), Ogyasefo Ajanangbede (Traditional Leadership), Bishop Tom Asari (Youth Empowerment), and Arch-Bishop Duncean Williams (African Mentoring Leadership).

Leading the pack of dignitaries at the ceremony, which was held at Main Auditorium of the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons, Accra, was the Ghanaian Vice President John Aramani Mahama. He described the former Lagos State governor as ‘a Nigerian political colossus, who has brought new ideas and leadership styles to bear on governance and service to the community, society and nation”.

The 2011 African Servant Leadership Awards (ASLA) was a twin-programme, which also marked the convocation of the pro-graduate students of the school and presentation of certificates.

Tinubu was accompanied by Governors Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti); Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun) and Abiola Ajimobi (Oyo); Speaker of Lagos State House of Assembly Adeyemi Ikuforiji; Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora; Senator Joel Ikenya; Mr Dele Alake, Chief Executive Officer of Television Continental; Dr Muiz Banire; Alhaji Lai Mohammed; Chief Pius Akinyelure; Alhaji Yusuf Ali; Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; Senator Gbenga Obadara; Hon. Wale Oshun; Otunba Dele Ajomale; Alhaji Kola Oseni; Prof Siyan Oyeweso; Mr. Boss Mustapha; Dr Usman Bugaje; Senator Lawan Shuaibu; Comrade Joe Igbokwe; Chief Funso Ologunde; Comrade Kayode Opeifa; Mr Victor Ifijeh and Mr. Kunle Fagbemi.

The Governor-General of the college, Rev. Gideon Ofei, explained that Tinubu and other awardees were honoured because of their diligent services to the people of Africa.

He said: “Through leadership, they have fed the hungry, clothed the naked, housed the homeless, empowered women, mentored the youth and transformed communities. Let us emulate the examples of these individuals and organisations”.

A short documentary on Tinubu heralded the conferment of the award on him by the Ghanian Vice President. As he was ushered into the podium to receive the plaque, which was the main insignia of the award, the guests rose in his honour.

The ACN congregation also sung the familiar loyalty anthem: ‘On your mandate we shall stand’, immediately the plaque was presented to him, amid cheers by the guests.

Tinubu thanked the organisers for the honour, promising to serve the people throughout his life.

He said: “That you, my brothers and sisters, have given me this award, does not mean I have finished with my contribution. It means the opposite. I have much more to do on behalf of this continent and people, whom I love and this award will encourage me forever onward”.

Tinubu paid tribute to the frontline African leaders, who served the continent to the best of their ability, including Kwame Nkrumah, Sekou Toure, Nelson Mandela, Samora Machel and Obafemi Awolowo, stressing that their contributions would continue to inspire present and future generations.

He said the task before the present generation is to build on their solid foundations and move the continent forward.

Tinubu urged Africa to take its destiny in its hands, instead of depending on Europe and America for leadership and direction.

He said the continent can liberate itself from hunger, poverty, ignorance and inferiority complex by looking inwards.

Tinubu added: “We must become the architects of our own economies and not let others plan our structures for us. We have to be smart and stop mimicking those who lead themselves into the ditch. Africa has to build, invent and create things. Ghana and Nigeria must lead the way”.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by success4(m): 7:06am On Jun 30, 2011
Eko Ile:

What source?
hmmm, playing smart? You saw words I highlighted.
Enjoy yourself jare
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 30, 2011
Tinubu should shut up & stay the f.k out of our faces.

It's bad enough seeing him squirrel away incredible amounts of our commonwealth for his own private use, without him continually shoving his his hypocritical pronouncements & public gestures down our throats.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by EkoIle1: 7:23am On Jun 30, 2011
success4:

hmmm, playing smart? You saw words I highlighted.
Enjoy yourself jare

Do I need a source to express myself?

Are you re-tarded or you're just playing du.mb?
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by seanet03: 7:32am On Jun 30, 2011
ziddy:

Tinubu should shut up & stay the f.k out of our faces.

It's bad enough seeing him squirrel away incredible amounts of our commonwealth for his own private use, without him continually shoving his his hypocritical pronouncements & public gestures down our throats.
You dey craze, you get sco sco
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by peanut123: 9:14am On Jun 30, 2011
Even the bible says a prophet is not accepted in his home town. Everybody cannot like him!

Asiwaju, Ride on!
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by airmark(m): 10:34am On Jun 30, 2011
peanut123:

Even the bible says a prophet is not accepted in his home town. Everybody cannot like him!

Asiwaju, Ride on!

Ride on to where? I hope he is not riding to jail?
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by chino11(m): 10:40am On Jun 30, 2011
Silly and shallow minded yorobahs. Am sure its ridance to rubbish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by seanet03: 10:54am On Jun 30, 2011
chino11:

Silly and shallow minded yorobahs. Am sure its ridance to rubbish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
You mean your father?
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by koyaabj: 11:29am On Jun 30, 2011
As a political scientist, i an using BAT's political sagacity as a case study in my research.

Some body should help me publish his various speaches from the military era to date incase there is any one that i dont

have.

The Guy is too much EKO for show. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by adederin(m): 2:27pm On Jun 30, 2011
Asiwaju, you are too much. I salute you.
Re: Tinubu Praises Awo And Other African Statesmen by djustice: 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
Eko-Ile, Seanet02, Please don't forget your paddy o!! You remember what you promised as per the thing. You people should not eat alone o!

At least, you can see I'm doing my best here.

Asiwaju for life jare!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Bindow Emerges As APC Flag-bearer For Adamawa Guber Re-run Election / Imo Community Ruled By A Muslim Monarch / Igbos Should Take Over The Leadership Of Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.