Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? (69696 Views)

Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today. / Capacity Of Nigerian Car Manufacturing Industry Rises By 50% / Nigerian Car-assembled by nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by timifakay(m): 8:30am On Nov 14, 2017
Greatidonis:

A better oil can't give one longer mileage before change?
If so why use one that cost so much na cool
I was talking about mileage while on 20w50.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by farady(m): 8:51am On Nov 14, 2017
I have a Honda Pilot 2007 model and I've been using our Nigeria Mobil 1 (0w-40) to date. I cannot recollect the recommended grade of oil. However is this Mobil 1 okay for the vehicle?
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Chiefpriest1(m): 9:21am On Nov 14, 2017
Wow! Did anybody notice the quality of discussions between 2011 when the thread was opened and 2013.

Brilliant guys in those days...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by UmecheMoses(m): 12:48pm On Nov 14, 2017
gateleo:

please which Engine Oil will you recommend for Mitsubishi Carisma 1998 Model
Engine Size = 1.6
Auto.

Thank you
Ahh you drive that baby too, I use Mobil one or total 5000 for my carisma glx....
You should see her jetting 140 like it's 90.... And still so balanced, ABS WORKS WELL, AND I CORNER HER LIKE A BENZ... SHE HANDLES PERFECTLY.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by autotrader2: 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2017
farady:
I have a Honda Pilot 2007 model and I've been using our Nigeria Mobil 1 (0w-40) to date. I cannot recollect the recommended grade of oil. However is this Mobil 1 okay for the vehicle?

5w20 oil is what you need
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by ejunkie(m): 1:48pm On Nov 14, 2017
This is what an insane Brabus C450 sounds like

If you think your car is packing something under the hood..sit down, be humble and watch the clip

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5ZtTz2mhU][/url]
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by farady(m): 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2017
autotrader2:

5w20 oil is what you need

Thanks. So can I switch to 5w-20 without any problem?
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by autotrader2: 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2017
farady:

Thanks. So can I switch to 5w-20 without any problem?

2007 engine....you shouldn't have any problems
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by oseluck: 8:48pm On Nov 14, 2017
Hello, I just got a Toyota Corolla 2005. Please which is the best oil you can recommend for use. It's actually my 1st time, kindly advise.
Thanks
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by nemadfsyahooc: 8:06pm On Nov 15, 2017
Nice informative piece here, mine is 2009 kia Rio manual. Though d recommended oil is 5w20 but since I bought it second hand from company, I have been using total xhp 20w50 and I havent experienced any issue with d engine as it drives smoothly, with ur lectures now, should I switch to d recommended oil or continue using 20w50 bearing in mind naija ambience with high temperature and dusty roads. Advice accordingly please.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by weyreypey: 4:58pm On Jun 12, 2018
EuroMeko:
That synthetic oil offers better protection is common knowledge, you might argue the cost factor but that's a personal thing. Personally I use Dino oil on my non race cars. I use synthetic in my Ducati because I ride him like it was stolen.

As far as oil weight, just go with what the manufacturer calls for in your climate.

The best thing you can do to your engine to prolong it's life is to change the oil regularly. In the USA I change my Dino oil every 3,000 miles or 1 month and for synthetic every 5,000 miles or 3 months. This is subjective and my own personal schedule based on my own research on how I use my vehicles.

So, if cost is a problem use the best Dino oil you can get, the correct weight and change it religiously.

On over 100 vehicles I've owned, I've never had an engine breakdown.
20W50 straight
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by weyreypey: 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2018
EuroMeko:
There are other factors that have much greater importance on increasing your MPG than your engine oil., for example tire pressure. But to answer your question I have not seen any report that synthetic oil gives you better MPG though I know positively that it makes your engine run more efficiently. However any MPG gain would be minuscule.
Tell them o.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by weyreypey: 5:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
Trac:

I apologise for the late response.

I am actually just seeing this response; Nairaland's notification system is sub-standard.

What I know about using the wrong weight of oil is you have increase i engine temperature and there is higher resistance in reciprocating parts. The oil is also mass. Get a keg of xw-30 and a keg of xw-40/50 and lift them. The 40/50 weight oil is heavier and that is noticeable; in other words, mass per volume area (density) is more. Imagine having a keg and a half of this multi-viscous oil in a crankcase, the density will be more than significantly heavier than a 30 weight oil.

You also have compromised pressure measurements/managements. By this, I am referring to the "absolute1" and "guage2" pressure within the crankcase. Since depth is a factor in an engine's form-factor, pressure and elevation exist also as a relationship. According to Blaise Pascal's paradox3, change of pressure depends on the elevation and the type of fluid. There are two milestones in oil references in terms of SAE's multi-viscosity: @40degC and @100degC. How this oil behave at this temperatures at rating systems is a very calculated consideration. This also leads to a very important and critical aspect: pumping viscosity4. The state and how well or poorly this process is the pumping condition and it varies according to temperature. This will be compromised as well for a light-duty engine in normal or light duty operations.

If your vehicle indicates 5w-30, that is what you have to go by (Xw-30). If it says Xw-40, you will have to stick to that configuration. Both configurations are different on the "international rating system." Both SAE oils cannot be mixed for they will not mix. Engines today are subject to strict EPA or emission requirements. People want fuel efficient cars, so composite materials are used now and more precision is required when designers engineer their engines. Since the specifications you are opting for was not considered in the design for optimum performance, certain unaccounted results should also be expected.

Fluids are very critical in their operation. For example: a Mercedes transmission oil cannot be substituted for any other transmission fluid. It has it's own personality in operation. It is in two layers or more. The top is sort of magnetic and it keeps afloat wear debris from the trans-case and transports it via the course of motion till it's trapped by the filter. There are other fluid properties that only work within the transmission's crankcase but the singular aforementioned characteristic is enough to be very cautious. Some of the fluid specifications are not backward compatible. From my understanding as of today, the current is backward compatible with all previous MB trans-fluid. This is why it is so expensive. But there is a way around it (and I'm not going to discuss that).

If cars can be imported, then the oils too can be. It's not a recreational function. The proper oil configuration is what you need and save your money in the long-run.

1. Absolute - the lowest possible pressure
2. Guage - the actual pressure that has been influenced by the atmosphere (atmospheric pressure) in comparison to absolute.
3. Pascal's Paradox - change in pressure is dependent upon the vertical distance (elevation) and the type of fluid.
4. Pumping Viscosity - ability of the oil to flow through from it's channels to and through the oil pump inlet
Nakoks and sopperescue come and explain this
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by bestyman: 3:57pm On Nov 14, 2018
anneki:
I hope nairalanders will find these charts useful.
Hi... Land rover is not on the charts, am using lr2 2008 model
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by StormBringer: 12:26am On Mar 02, 2020
Hi,

I recently sent a 2014 Toyota RAV4 from the USA to my father-in-law in Nigeria. The oil recommended for use is SAE 0W-20. This car was built for the North American market, mainly USA. What oil should I tell him to use in theDelta area of Nigeria(Warri). I had sent him a few gallons of STP
SAE 5W-30. Can he use this in the meantime. Not sure what is available in his area.

Much thanks
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by demsi: 3:13pm On Jun 28, 2020
Please guys if you buy a car try and check the oil cover , it is clearly written the type of oil the car needs. If it is 5W 30 you look for any good brand of that 5w 30 and buy. You can see it in mobil, total, oando and the rest. Always insist on the specification for your car. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by sultaan(m): 4:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
You should not worry about where the car is driven, because when it was made in Canadian cold, they designed it to work in the death valley heat which is way hotter than most of Nigeria.
Just use the oil weight written on the oil cap

20w50 was made for lorries manufactured in the 70 and 1980, there is no passenger car that I know sold in the last 30 years that the manufacturer recommend 20w50.

It will work but not leads it early damage to engine resulting in oil burn and smoke from exhaust

1 Like

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Paulagada: 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2020
Which type engine oil should I use for 2005 Toyota Corolla. I'm a new bee.
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Mottomata(m): 10:13pm On Aug 18, 2020
Paulagada:

Please check the oil cover on the engine of the car or check the car manual if available.

Always stick with the manufacturer recommended fluid specification
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by Midoda: 1:32pm On Aug 22, 2020
Paulagada:

5w30

2 Likes

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by honsule(m): 3:16pm On May 10, 2021
Paulagada:

I bought Toyota Corolla 2005 Sport car of recent -May, 2021. It came with the Owner's manual. A meticulous perusal, it stated that,"SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy, and good starting in cold weather" IF, SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. HOWEVER, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change".

1 Like

Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by dru23(m): 3:28pm On May 10, 2021
honsule:

I bought Toyota Corolla 2005 Sport car of recent -May, 2021. It came with the Owner's manual. A meticulous perusal, it stated that,"SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy, and good starting in cold weather" IF, SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. HOWEVER, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change".

If you bought the car tokunbo . follow the owners manual at all times and look for good oil brand .
Preferable imported brand .. Engine oil is now expensive than ever.. So is engine replacement and parts etc ........

If na naija used .. Am not a fan of anything naija used. Than you have to trend carefully and ask previous owner what oil they were using etc .......

Good luck ......
Re: Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? by sandysaint: 8:38pm On Nov 05, 2021
EuroMeko:
That synthetic oil offers better protection is common knowledge, you might argue the cost factor but that's a personal thing. Personally I use Dino oil on my non race cars. I use synthetic in my Ducati because I ride him like it was stolen.

As far as oil weight, just go with what the manufacturer calls for in your climate.

The best thing you can do to your engine to prolong it's life is to change the oil regularly. In the USA I change my Dino oil every 3,000 miles or 1 month and for synthetic every 5,000 miles or 3 months. This is subjective and my own personal schedule based on my own research on how I use my vehicles.

So, if cost is a problem use the best Dino oil you can get, the correct weight and change it religiously.

[/b]On over 100 vehicles I've owned,[b] I've never had an engine breakdown.

How old are you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.