Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,750 members, 7,802,295 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Walmart In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart In Nigeria (19434 Views)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Walmart In Nigeria by dapachez: 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2011
WALMART, America’s foremost low-price merchandise retail store, is planning to open two stores in Nigeria soon.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United States, Prof. Ade Adefuye, told the Empowered Newswire on Wednesday that representatives from the famous retail store had visited him at the Nigerian Embassy in Washington DC as regards the plan to open the retail store in Nigeria.

“It is an indication of the growing confidence in Nigeria’s economy,” Adefuye stated, adding that he was currently engaging with the leading US store on the conditions and requirements that would have to be met to do business in Nigeria.

WalMart currently employs about 2.1million employees and the CNN ranked it as the biggest global company last year, saying that, despite the global recession, the discount retailer’s bargain prices continued to lure consumers worldwide.

The company’s plan to open stores in Nigeria is part of the strategy of its leadership team, led by its new President/Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Michael Duke.

At the company’s AGM last year, Duke was reported as saying that global markets were “becoming an even bigger and more important part of our company.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201106303203070
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by auwal87(m): 4:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
Yes, it will be inside "Ado Bayero Mall" in Kano
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2011
There will be more low-paying jobs. angry angry angry
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by chines4(m): 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2011
Good new
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by odumchi: 4:42pm On Jun 30, 2011
I hope both will not be in Lagos. One in Lagos and another one in Port Harcourt seems fine.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 4:43pm On Jun 30, 2011
I dey laugh o!

The fear of Walmart should be the beginning of wisdom. Make them partner with an indigenous businessman.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by eketchic: 4:43pm On Jun 30, 2011
hope it would be in ABuja where all the looters live grin
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by OAM4J: 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2011
I see no big deal with a retail store.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by opositive(m): 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2011
B.S ! Instead of us creating jobs as nigerians,these smart countries are coming to increase the number of low pay jobs, whisk away our money, and better their own economy .nonsense
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2011
o-positive:

B.S ! Instead of us creating jobs as nigerians,these smart countries are coming to increase the number of low pay jobs, whisk away our money, and better their own economy .nonsense

well said. kiss kiss kiss

I like my women smart and sharp.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by vladimiros: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2011

TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO CREATE JOBS IN NIGERIA

TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE PUT IN THE ECONOMY
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Dgunnerz(m): 4:52pm On Jun 30, 2011
Low pay jobs and no job!
Choose 1?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
Dgunnerz:

Low pay jobs and no job!
Choose 1?

The life of the African --- ti e ti ba e undecided undecided
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by blapo(m): 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2011
lets see it happen first and its also a good news if a foreign investor is ready to invest in Nigeria. you think a boy that sells pure water on the street would not prefer to be a sales boy in a big retail outlet?

low paying job is better than no job and those who think a foreign investor is here to explore us, well i don't know what to say again.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by asscend: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2011
Pls come and show us some standards on how to package food etc.

Yes they will buy up businesses and farms but they will set a standard.

Let competiion begin!!!!!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by biachwest: 5:10pm On Jun 30, 2011
I wonder why walmart is considered by people to be a low payed job company. walmart will employ workers of different leves ratings from white collar jobs  to middle class.
accountants,marketers,engineers, e.t.c  works in places like walmart. it is a very big news for Nigerian economy . If  they are really going to pure in billions i to our economy and creates job.
walmart is not a  supermarkets.take a look bellow,then one could figure out the type of jobs walmart will create.
http://www.walmart.com/
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 5:17pm On Jun 30, 2011
Why Wal-Mart's First India Store Isn't a Wal-Mart

After years of controversy and opposition from local retailers, Wal-Mart this month is poised to open its first store in India, launching an expansion that will include 10 more big-box outlets in the potentially vast Indian market over the next two years.

But Indian consumers won't be able to partake of Wal-Mart's everyday low prices. India's restrictive commercial laws prohibit most foreign companies from setting up shop to compete with domestic retailers. So Wal-Mart's debut outlet, which will open in the city of Amritsar in northern India later this month, is a wholesale-only operation that will sell mainly to vegetable vendors, hospitals, hotels, restaurants and other companies. The Amritsar outlet won't even carry the familiar Wal-Mart brand. To deflect the attention of politicians and activists who oppose the entry of foreign multi-brand retailers, the Bentonville, Ark., company has named its Indian outlets BestPrice Modern Wholesale.

Despite the stealth approach, industry experts expect Wal-Mart, known for squeezing efficiencies out of suppliers and supply chains, to have an impact on India's $375 billion retail market, which is dominated by mom-and-pop businesses and outmoded distribution networks. "We can learn the science of retailing, how to build scale and efficiencies," says Kishore Biyani, chairman of Pantaloon Retail, India's largest homegrown retailer with 114 hypermarkets.

The world's largest retailer isn't new to India. For the past decade, the country has been an important Wal-Mart supplier of textiles, apparel, home products and jewelry. But in anticipation of its India launch, Wal-Mart for the last three years has been developing a network of suppliers to stock its stores with fresh produce and staples like lentils, wheat and rice — all with an appreciation for variations in local cultures and tastes. "India is not a homogenous market, so ours is not a cookie-cutter approach from the U.S.," says Raj Jain, president of Wal-Mart India.
Its wholesale operations in India are under a joint venture with New Delhi-based Bharti Enterprises. The U.S. company's retail presence is restricted to providing back-end support for Bharti's chain of 25 Easy Day grocery stores that opened last year.

Although other foreign hypermarket chains are entering the country — British retail group Tesco has a joint venture with India's giant Tata conglomerate, while France's Carrefour is said to be in talks with Reliance — Jain says Wal-Mart is in no hurry to unfurl the Wal-Mart flag nationally. "The easiest thing is to roll out stores, but the most difficult is to sustain and feed them," he says.
Indeed, Indian mass-merchandisers over the last several years expanded frenetically, trying to get a jump on foreign chains should Indian politicians eventually decide to open up the market to direct competition from overseas. Reliance Industries built 940 stores across the country in 18 months. Aditya Birla group has opened 548 stores since 2007. Today, with India's economy slowing and with losses piling up, the domestic retailers have shut some outlets and laid off employees, partly because of difficulties in keeping large chains supplied with goods. "When you start opening stores and then work backwards, even we get scared," says Mahadeo Pawar, a vegetable grower from Karjat, 31 miles (50 kms) north of Mumbai.
Caution in India may be a watchword considering the global recession and Wal-Mart's blemished track record overseas. In 2006, the company pulled out of Germany and South Korea in the face of stiff competition and poor sales. Still, Wal-Mart has been weathering the economic crisis better than most. The company on May 14 announced it earned $3.02 billion in the three months ended April 30, about equal to the profit it made in the same period in 2008. Revenue fell 0.6% to $93.47 billion from $94.04 billion a year earlier. Highlighting the growing importance of markets such as India, nearly one-fourth of Wal-Mart's sales for the quarter — 22.7% — came from its international division.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1898823,00.html#ixzz1QmDeErnY
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by opositive(m): 5:21pm On Jun 30, 2011
@ vladimiros you dont know me so dont judge.am a young nigerian graduate who has never worked a day in her life,yet i own my business,employ people and pay them well.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2011
hmmm. doesn't seem good to me, but time will tell.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
Walmart is too smart to open up in mend or boko-haram infested areas. they had better open up competition in Lagos the most populated, buoyant city in Nigeria
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 5:37pm On Jun 30, 2011
They should look at Enugu which is clean and safe. cool
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by blueskye: 5:40pm On Jun 30, 2011
can u pple read atall it says low-price merchandise not low paying. it means prices of item to be sold wld be low. angry
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Dgunnerz(m): 5:42pm On Jun 30, 2011
obowunmi:

The life of the African --- ti e ti ba e    undecided undecided
Tani ti e ti baa bayi
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by GoldCircle: 5:44pm On Jun 30, 2011
Don't mind them at all! They are now only rushing in after Shoprite and Game (South African brands) have succeeded. What happened to woolsworth that used to be on Adeola Odeku? they ran out of the country when things were not too pleasant for them. These American brands are all in developing economies like India, Malaysia and even East Africa. Now that others have blazed the trail and opened up the market, they are now running in. Its actually just a matter of time. I know Macdonalds will come running in shortly too. . .just like KFC recently did.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by violent(m): 5:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
o-positive:

i knew someone was going to say something like this real quick!

Funny people with funny mentality, foreign investment is now being seen as hostile when they themselves lack both the will power and resources to create such opportunities.  More Nigerians are starving to death, perhaps their lives will be a lot better if offered, what by your own standards, are low pay jobs.

And this is just for your information and many others, low-price merchandise doesn't always equal low pay jobs, hundreds of thousands live and feed comfortable across britain simply because low priced Merchandise such as 99p shops exist.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by violent(m): 5:47pm On Jun 30, 2011
blue skye:

can u pple read atall it says low-price merchandise not low paying. it means prices of item to be sold wld be low. angry

You'd be surprised many can't tell the difference!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Mynd44: 5:50pm On Jun 30, 2011
I smell a rise in shoplifting cases
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by tiwola: 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2011
I laugh gaaaaaaannnn!!!!!!

Is it going to be Walmart gan gan or Walmart (Franchise owned by an Indian Company)?

Lets be factual.

If I have to walk into another 'we sell at the lowest prices store' and see a PS3/XBOX 360 for 100k
fight go happen o!

Na so we begin kill cow when we hear say GAME dey come. As we kill cow na im dem sef wan kill us.

Low prices ko. Low prices ni. Enter computer village and Alaba (or Samsung and Sony Authorised dealers just 2 doors away from them in The Palms) then tell me different.

Shioooo! (Pardon my Yoruba, e dey pain me gaan!)

smiley
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Ify27(m): 6:05pm On Jun 30, 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE DONT DO IT TO NIGERIA PLEASE OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

WALMART IS EVIL, PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO MADE FROM THE EMPLOYEES AND CITIZENS OF LARGER US. CITIES LIKE CHICAGO NEW YORK BOSTON, LA, BOYCOTTING WALMART AND ALL OVER THE WORLD, DONT JUMP FORR JOY JUST YET BECAUSE YOUR JUST JUMPING IN THEIR TRAPS, ONCE WALMART GETS SETTLED THEYLL NEVER GO AWAY,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMYZwL8sPA
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by mystikal(m): 6:07pm On Jun 30, 2011
Walmart has beaten me to it. Its not all doom anyway, there is always space in this market cool
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Musiwa42: 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2011
i laugh
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2011
I like Walmart. Great store. They're welcome.
They'll likely come in as Massmart, the SA retailer. They're trying to take a stake in that company.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Enjoying Good Music In The Office (Video) / Naira Tumbles To 980/Dollar, FX Shortage Worsens / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.