Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Nigeria's Population To Be 4th In The World By 2050 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria's Population To Be 4th In The World By 2050 (2634 Views)

Nigeria's Population To Exceed United States By 2050 / Nigeria's Population Now 168 Million, Projected To Hit 221 Million In 2020 / 50 Percent Of Nigeria's Population Registered To Vote. Is This Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Population To Be 4th In The World By 2050 by MSRA(m): 8:44am On Jul 01, 2011
Here is the world in 2050, as imagined by the U.S. Census Bureau: India will be the most populous nation, surpassing China sometime around 2025. The U.S. will remain exactly where it is now: in third place, with a population of 423 million (up from 308 million in 2010). And declining birth rates in two of the world's most economically and politically influential countries, Japan and Russia, will cause them to fall from their current positions as the 9th and 10th most populous nations, respectively, to 16th and 17th.
The findings are the result of population estimates and projections of 228 countries compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau's International Data Base (IDB). They offer a revealing look into the future. "One of the biggest changes we've seen has been the decline in fertility in some developed countries such as China," says Loraine West , an IDB project manager, "while others are experiencing a slight increase." In other words, China's population boom is finally slowing down while Western Europe's long-declining birth rate is - in some places, at least - rising again. Spain and Italy are "on an uptick," says West, "but how high will [the birth rate] rise? Or will it simply fluctuate up and down on some long term level? We'll have to see." According to Italy's The National Institute of Statistics, the country's recent population increase can be largely attributed to its own immigrant population. See TIME's "Intelligent Cities."wink
The two countries on track to make the biggest population gains are Nigeria and Ethiopia. Nigeria currently boasts 166 million people, but by 2050 its population is expected jump to 402 million. Ethiopia's population will likely triple from 91 million to 278 million, bringing the east African nation into the one of the top 10 most populous countries in the world for the first time. In fact, according to the United Nations Population Division, although only 18% of the world's population lives in so-called "high-fertility" countries (places where women have more than 1.5 daughters on average), most of those countries are in Africa; the continent is expected to experience significant population growth in the coming decades, which could compound the already-dire food supply issues in some African nations.
While the U.S. appears relatively stable - it's the only country in the top 10 whose ranking is not expected to change in the next 40 years - previous census reports have highlighted dramatic demographic shifts within the country's borders. Last week, the Census Bureau announced that more than half of children under two in the U.S. are ethnic minorities. Add to that the non-Hispanic white population's increasing age (in California, for example, the median age for non-Hispanic whites is almost 10 years older than that of the state as a whole) and America in 2050 will look a lot different than the America we know today. (See TIME's video: 10 Questions for Robert Groves.)
Perhaps the most unfortunate change is the one currently experienced by Russia. The cold, vast country has been undergoing steady depopulation since 1992 and the U.S. Census Bureau expects it to decline further, from 139 million people to 109 million by 2050. That's a 21% drop, even more than country suffered during World War II. Like many countries, Russia is experiencing declining birth rates, but it's also suffering form a relatively low life expectancy. According to the World Health Organization, Russian men have a life expectancy of just 62 years, a fact that is often attributed to the country's high rate of alcoholism and poor diet. (For comparison, Japan is also struggling with depopulation, but the World Health Organization puts its life expectancy at 80 for men and 86 for women).
So what does this mean? The U.S. is not yet experiencing the kind of population decline that Europe experienced in the 1990s and 2000s, although immigration and differing birth rates among races means that the country's ethnic composition is changing. Something similar will be going on in the rest of the world, as well: Africa and India's boom, Russia's decline and China's expected plateau (holding steady around 1.3 billion people between now and 2050) will change the makeup of the estimated 9.4 billion people who will call Earth home in 2050. The future, it seems, is not as distant as we think.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2080404,00.html?xid=rss-fullnation-yahoo
Re: Nigeria's Population To Be 4th In The World By 2050 by MSRA(m): 9:17am On Jul 01, 2011
402 Million. Gosh! Talk about bursting at the seams. 401,999,999 other Nigerians besides me come 2050 (God sparing me). I shudder and shiver to imagine Naija still stuck with the burden of '1 Nigeria' and this present ilk of leaders and 402 million of us, not counting the diaspora. And maybe by then the oil (the black glue holding us together ) drying out or loosing out to some other form of alternate fuel and no longer  bringing in billions of dollars.  I can just imagine riots, and area boys and almajiris and kidnappers and armed robbers or is it army robbers. and no roads, zero ammenities, moribund healthcare and educational system. And worse, gross inky darkness everywhere. And the ever present, ever looting politicians, still doing what they know best to do: LOOTING. And what percentage living below the so called 1-dollar-a-day line? 90%, 95%?

O boy, I'm having a nightmare in broad daylight; someone pinch me please.

Hopefully, the CIA's (or whoever's) prediction that Nigeria would be a failed state 35 years before then comes to pass first. And by failed state I hope it is going to be (at least) 3 separate and fully functional entities and not the Somalia kind of failed state.

But 402 million within the present Nigeria is a formula for Armageddon and anarchy. Join me in saying God forbid.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Be 4th In The World By 2050 by MSRA(m): 10:00am On Jul 01, 2011
For some absolutely hilarious comments, you can read the yahoo reproduction of it here:

http://news.yahoo.com/census-world-look-2050-084801254.html?ugccmtnav=v1%2Fcomments%2Fcontext%2F6b800d64-a265-3116-b1ce-562b359ceb09%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3DhighestRated

Take this for example: 'I am no longer sure I wish to live to be 100.'

And of cos some uppity fella suggests that they reduce the food aid and increase the condom supplied to Africa. The nerve of it.

(1) (Reply)

Accident At Unizik Temp Site Awka, With Pictures / How Do You Sleep? Pic / Happy New Month Nairalanders...Drop your wishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.