Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture (3048 Views)

. / 8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 02, 2011
Muslims claim that the Christian West wishes to control Africa. Yet why is it that we Africans must not like the Coca Cola culture of the West, but we are obliged to start wearing seventh century Arab dress once Islam is taken on? What's wrong with my good African cultural dress? And why is it that Black African Muslims are obliged to pray facing a Saudi Arabian city: Mecca? Who is dominating who? Why not face the local town (i.e. Nairobi or Lusaka, etc.)? I thought God was everywhere, and that prayer should be directed to Him who lives in heaven above the earth.

Remember, Jesus, the Truth once said I am from above, you are from beneath.

Furthermore, why are we required to read God's word and speak to Him only in Arabic? Does God only speak Arabic? Is He not capable of understanding my African language? Thank God that the Holy Bible is now in over 2,000 known languages around the world. Because I know my God is able to speak every language. It's not a problem for Him.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2011
Change the topic to "Disturbing questions concerning black culture"

Why is it that your black a$$ worships the primitive jewish concept called yahweh?

Why are jews your god's chosen people while Africans and the rest of the world are classified generically as gentiles?

Why did it take the "good news" centuries before it got to the shores of Africa?

Why are black people so damned ignorant?

Why did your god sit back while his missionaries conspired with western authorities to enslave your ancestors?

Why don't we see arabs or jews who are as enthusiastic about african mythology like you people are about theirs?

Why does your holy book say your people are cursed (curse of ham)?

Why can't you people see that there are no such things as gods?'

Why can't black people discard these ancient superstitions when a growing amount of the descendants of the people who brought it to them now see these same stories as the BS that they really are?

Why do you peeple still think "heaven" is up there?
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2011
^^

I understand that you are trying to avoid the question.

Muslims just have nothing to answer with regard to the many valid questions we have about their religion, that is why most Islamic states are dictatorships, you must follow Allah without question.

I know their method, if you cannot answer a valid question , attack the questioner verbally or physically.

Please restrict your answers to the questions above.

Even today in Sudan the blacks are enslaved by the Arabs.

Funny how all peoples are free in the west but in total bondage in Muslim countries. it sure aint of God.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Jenwitemi(m): 6:14pm On Jul 02, 2011
A lot of his questions to you and your kind are valid. If you can ask the muslims such questions, then definitely you, as a christian, can also be asked. I don't know, perhaps that has something to do with all the similarities between the two desert dogmas.
frosbel:

^^

Muslims just have nothing to answer with regard to the many valid questions we have about their religion, that is why most Islamic states are dictatorships, you must follow Allah without question.

I know their method, if you cannot answer a valid question , attack the questioner verbally or physically.

Even today in Sudan the blacks are enslaved by the Arabs.

Funny how all peoples are free in the west but in total bondage in Muslim countries.  it sure aint of God.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by UyiIredia(m): 6:16pm On Jul 02, 2011
Jenwitemi:

A lot of his questions to you and your kind are valid. If you can ask the muslims such questions, you, as a christian, can also be asked.

i intend to answer his questions
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by UyiIredia(m): 7:05pm On Jul 02, 2011
Martian:

Change the topic to "Disturbing questions concerning black culture"

No ! the OP topic is okay

Martian:

Why is it that your black a$$ worships the primitive jewish concept called yahweh?

not all 'black a$$' worship Yahweh. Take you for instance, you are an atheist. I worship the concept because it is illogical to believe the universe is its own cause. all science is based on the reality of cause and effect.

Martian:

Why are jews your god's chosen people while Africans and the rest of the world are classified generically as gentiles?

Last time I checked Jesus wasn't depicted as racist.

Martian:

Why did it take the "good news" centuries before it got to the shores of Africa?

What bearing does this have on the topic at hand ?

Martian:

Why are black people so damned ignorant?

they aren't, they have contributed greatly to intellectual debacles in pre-Hellenestic times and in contemprary American culture

Martian:

Why did your god sit back while his missionaries conspired with western authorities to enslave your ancestors?

What is your evidence for this false question ( an accusation presented in an interrogatory manner)

Martian:

Why don't we see arabs or jews who are as enthusiastic about african mythology like you people are about theirs?

That does not mean there aren't. I want to believe there have been unions between both cultures

Martian:

Why does your holy book say your people are cursed (curse of ham)?

Martian:

Why can't you people see that there are no such things as gods?'

maybe there isn't. but then that would probably mean i would forsake a basic and rock-solid principle: Every effect is preceded by an independent cause

Martian:

Why can't black people discard these ancient superstitions when a growing amount of the descendants of the people who brought it to them now see these same stories as the BS that they really are?

then I pity such a people. such wavering mentality should make me accuse them of intellectual hypocrisy.

Martian:

Why do you peeple still think "heaven" is up there?

should I suppose its only oblivion that awaits one after death ? do you know where dreams come from ?
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2011
All science is based on cause and effect while every religion is based on ignorance of the natural world.

You worship Yahweh because its illogical to think the universe created itself but absolutely logical that this yahweh thing created itself?  At least we know that the universe actually exists.

Jesus wasn't depicted as racist. So? That doesn't make your religion less ethnocentric. Every religion is ethnocentric and outsiders are the ones that have to be converted.
Examples of ethnicentricity are
The Jews created Yahweh and that's why they are the chosen people just like the yorubas were the first people made in Ile Ife by Oloodumare. The same way the Arabs claim god speaks Arabic. The same way ancient greek gods were only concerned about Greeks. Gods care about the people who create them and unless those people proselytize, enslave, cajole or brainwash other peope, they are the only ones that will know about that particular god. Zoroastrians believe in their own god but because they dont go around converting people you won't see any of them around unless you go to some parts of Iran. If they had acted like the good Christians and Muslims, there would black people on this site professing Zoroaster as the son of god and Ahura Mazda as the one true god.

I asked why it took the so called "good news" centuries before it reached African shore because Jesus us supposed to be the way to eternal life  grin(wishful thinking) and people were dying and going hell because there weren't saved! Why did the good news take a European detour first? By the time the good news reached Africa, a Jew that was supposed to have lived in the middle east looked white and also had a made up English name.  JESUS.

I said too many black people are ignorant because it's the truth!!! I know all about ancient Egypt, Mali, Oyo bla bla bla. I'm talking about present day black folks in places like the "giant of Africa" and even in America. 

Every question I asked about your god was rhetorical. I know your primitive Jewish idea of an all powerful being doesnt exist.

As for the people you called intellectual hypocrites, they are not. They just live in advanced societies with good educational systems so they don't have reasons to believe  sky daddy.

Oblivion doesn't await you when you die. Nothing awaits you, you're f-cking dead!!! You don't have a soul that will experience anything, your brain dies and YOU die.

Do I know where dreams come fromgrin  How about your damned brain? This can't even be a real question!!!
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Sweetnecta: 8:11pm On Jul 02, 2011
I will leave the martian dude ^^^^^^^^^ , alone because there is a human being wanting to know about solutions to human problems.

@frosbel: Posted on: Today at 04:34:25 PM
Posted by: frosbel
Insert Quote
[Quote]Muslims claim that the Christian West wishes to control Africa. Yet why is it that we Africans must not like the Coca Cola culture of the West, but we are obliged to start wearing seventh century Arab dress once Islam is taken on? What's wrong with my good African cultural dress? And why is it that Black African Muslims are obliged to pray facing a Saudi Arabian city: Mecca? Who is dominating who? Why not face the local town (i.e. Nairobi or Lusaka, etc.)? I thought God was everywhere, and that prayer should be directed to Him who lives in heaven above the earth.[/Quote]frosbel needs to know that christianity, like every religion or idea or ideology or movement wants to dominate the whole world. i know your african heart is concentrating on africa, so i will follow you with only africa, but you can substitute it with the whole world, as you wish. it is not compulsory to wear arab dress to be a muslim as long as you cover what is to remain covered.

i am wearing a urhobo wrapper right now. it covers what is to remain covered. you can wear any western country clothing as long as it is loosely fitted on you and does not look like a track suit or swimming suit or paint on or spandex, giving every mounds and recess of the body. i am sure you wear christian west clothing, though none of the countries is founded on christianity which they adopted, while we now have muslims among the natives. why are you wearing christian west clothing instead of your african ethnic attires?

finally, since your thoughts are very poor for meaningful conversation, the islamc religion has a unifying single direction, a rule for its prayers. the direction is the Ka'ba in masjid Haraam in the city of Makka. if you are on the easterly direction to Ka'ba, you have to face the western direction so that you are 'facing the Ka'ba'. if the Ka'ba is in your north, you must face it because you are south of it. if you are in front of it, you just face it where you are. if you are inside its space, you face any direction.

God being everywhere is your own making because your following sentence says it is Heaven that God is; not at anytime on earth with you for sure and not in your bathroom. God sees everywhere, knows everything, you were probably trying to say. but you communicate it very poorly. your below statement kills your ability above struggling to know God.

[Quote]Remember, Jesus, the Truth once said I am from above, you are from beneath.[/Quote]every prophet, including and not limited to only jesus is the truth in his prophetic period starting from when he begins his mission and ending when the succeeding prophet begins his own mission. jesus ceased to be the truth when Muhammad [as] started his mission in the year 630. being the last of the messenger, and prophet, his truth will last till the end of time. then judgment.
And all of us came from above as invisible souls to mother's wombs being house by our body. it is the soul that made us alive.

[Quote]Furthermore, why are we required to read God's word and speak to Him only in Arabic? Does God only speak Arabic? Is He not capable of understanding my African language? Thank God that the Holy Bible is now in over 2,000 known languages around the world. Because I know my God is able to speak every language. It's not a problem for Him.[/Quote]its easy to learn arabic language you know. easier than learning english, french which is impossible for me, spanish, german and all these christian west and the nordic languages. if you learned english arabic will be a cake walk.

you are required to read Quranic verses and chapters in its original arabic text when you make salah. reading Quran in arabic in other setting helps you to master it so that the arabic reading will flow smoother on your tongue as you are required to use it in every salah, daily. you can speak to God in Islam in your native language after you have met the essentials of the 'arabic'. your over 2,000 known languages in which the bible occurs, provide the window to your problems; disunity and no central theme or purpose. no wonder so christians like the orthodox one in Lalibela, Ethipia and Coptic Egyptian monk sects bow themselves and prostrate their faces in great religious occasions. i know. you only stand like a stiff in your worship.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Sweetnecta: 8:29pm On Jul 02, 2011
@frosbel; « #2 on: Today at 05:45:02 PM »
[Quote]^^

Muslims just have nothing to answer with regard to the many valid questions we have about their religion, that is why most Islamic states are dictatorships, you must follow Allah without question.[/Quote]emperor bush was barely out of office. pakistan and bangladesh have had women head of governments. those women were dictators, while i do not deny that countries that boast muslim majority have dictators, there is no Quranc support for their position. oppression and damnation of women, there is not a single verse to support it, but we see the bibles blaming women for all the woes of the world and that of the men.

[Quote]I know their method, if you cannot answer a valid question , attack the questioner verbally or physically.

Even today in Sudan the blacks are enslaved by the Arabs.[/Quote]there is not a single ethnic arab in sudan. just like the fulas of africa, having a softer hair texture or longer narrower or straighter nose is not an indication of being arab.

[Quote]Funny how all peoples are free in the west but in total bondage in Muslim countries. it sure aint of God.[/Quote]where do you live in the west and the people who are black in the backwaters of Mississippi, Alabama, Small town Texas, Louisiana, etc will tell you that he or she is not free like birds in the sky or white people on the ground. its the 4th of july weekend. there are blacks who feel hate for this occasion the reason they have what is called junetenth.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Sweetnecta: 8:38pm On Jul 02, 2011
around 42 years ago, nigeria was in the thick of her own arab over african situation.

the arab was led by a christian man; jack gowon. benjamin adekunle an arab christian was a hero till date in an arab town named ogbomosho.

the african people they were oppressing was led by an african man named odumegu ojukwu. this african tribe cried to the jews of israel and the christian west.

what a ridiculous poposal by frosbel about the sudanese. i bet he does not know a single sudanese. if he does, he should ask him directly; are you an arab or is there an arab group in sudan, while the nubians are the blacks?
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2011
Sweetnecta:

I will leave the martian dude ^^^^^^^^^ , alone because there is a human being wanting to know about solutions to human problems.

I Appreciate that, and I'll take my leave now because I don't want to dumb myself down in order to talk to you.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by LagosShia: 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2011
frosbel:

Muslims claim that the Christian West wishes to control Africa. Yet why is it that we Africans must not like the Coca Cola culture of the West, but we are obliged to start wearing seventh century Arab dress once Islam is taken on? What's wrong with my good African cultural dress?
First let me ask you:are you writing in Arabic? Or are you writing Yoruba?or is it not the language of the colonialist and the missionaries you’re using as the official language in Nigeria?it is english you are using to communicate,isn't that so?

Secondly, who lied to you that African Muslims are obliged to wear arab dress,be they 7th century or 70th century?

Africans are not obliged to wear Arab dress. also, all the agbadas and traditional African dresses that African Muslims wear, are those Arab dresses?

If I may also ask, why do Christians wear suits to churches and their places of worship? If at all, African Muslims wear traditional African dresses more than their Christian brothers do.

Let me show you how African muslim heads of states dress and how arab heads of states dress in arab dress:

[img]http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/FILE+Nigerian+President+Umaru+Yar+Adua+Dies+34Vf2KS-XRUl.jpg[/img]

Aside from that,let me also show you how african christian clerics dress and copy the westerners and please you should tell me if those dresses that christian clerics wear are african dresses:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-8LaabnpvVq4/TV9BYP8AtmI/AAAAAAAAAVU/OBBuInKfqKY/s175/100_0882.JPG[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_e1MVsg47df3LFbT6geYrWRw2S8cUpitKukjgLEiE1z-qt2rzXw&t=1[/img]

For me to show you that african muslims are more proud of their culture,let me show you a picture of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky a prominent Nigeria Shia-Muslim scholar who wore agbada on many occassions alongside the scholar outfit in other occassions:

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/5coXLIHjrncmRSq-nz8Zeyyf4l4jgxMN3yOAjeTte6Q6DTorD8Z2Dr93wvuS*RkJqdtrOPJXNtYQG0bdfeWLeC-e8HMAaYFZ/SheikhZakzaky.JPG[/img]

Here is the regular dress of Shia Muslim scholars wore by a non-arab iranian scholar and leader of the iranian islamic revolution,Ayatollah Khomeini:

[img]http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20110602/reportint20110602173138513.jpg[/img]

Now,let us go to the sunni muslim scholars and compare how africans of the sunni side dress and how their sunni arab counterparts dress in the regular outfits:

[img]http://1.bp..com/_bE5TG3vlj9Q/TUiq8N_UGrI/AAAAAAAAAZM/FBlmYKy9fdE/s1600/yusuf_qaradawi.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/myfiles/Images/2010/02/06/na08-big.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_M7i5Z_VU4WM/S0bleikV_vI/AAAAAAAAAMk/E9OvdzLA4E4/s400/Mufti+Sheikh+Mohammed+Rashid+Qabbani.jpg[/img]

And why is it that Black African Muslims are obliged to pray facing a Saudi Arabian city: Mecca? Who is dominating who? Why not face the local town (i.e. Nairobi or Lusaka, etc.)? I thought God was everywhere, and that prayer should be directed to Him who lives in heaven above the earth.
Just for the same reason  the Christian would face Jerusalem if his religion was not deficient and if he follows his scripture to the last dot,;Christians would be facing Jerusalem.muslims in the early days of Islam also prayed towards Jerusalem before the Qibla (prayer) direction was changed to Makkah.note that it was the Prophet Muhammad (sa) that cleansed the Ka’bah from idols.the Ka’bah is the equivalent of the temple of Solomon in Jerusalem and the Ka’bah was the first house of worship built on earth with God’s permission and command.

HERE ARE VERSES IN THE BIBLE WHERE MEN OF GOD FACED JERUSALEM WHILE PRAYING:

(Daniel 10: 11-12)
“Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber towards Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God as he did aforetime.”

Jonah 2:4-7
Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.  I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

1 Kings 8:29
That thine eyes may be open toward this house night and day, even toward the place of which thou hast said, My name shall be there: that thou mayest hearken unto the prayer which thy servant shall make toward this place.

WHAT THE QURAN SAYS ABOUT THE QIBLA (direction to pray)?

[Holy Quran 2:115]
“And to Allah belongs the east and the west, so wherever you turn (yourselves or your faces) there is the Face of Allaah”

[Holy Quran 2:142-144]
The Fools among the people will say: "What hath turned them from the Qiblah to which they were used (Jerusalem)?" Say: To Allah belongs both East and West; He guideth whom He will to a Way that is straight. (142) Thus have We made of you an Ummah (nation) justly balanced That ye might be witnesses over the nations and the Messenger a witness over yourselves; and We appointed the Qiblah to which thou wast used (Jerusalem), only to test those who followed the Messenger from those who would turn on their heels (from the faith). Indeed it was (a change) momentous except to those guided by Allah. And never would Allah make your faith of no effect. For Allah is to all people most surely full of kindness, Most Merciful. (143) We see the turning of thy face (for guidance) to the heavens; now shall We turn thee to a Qiblah (Makkah) that shall please thee. Turn then thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque (in Makkah); wherever ye are turn your faces in that direction. The people of the book know well that that is the truth from their Lord nor is Allah unmindful of what they do.

[Holy Quran 2:149-150]
From whencesoever thou startest forth, turn thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque; that is indeed the truth from thy Lord. And Allah is not unmindful of what ye do.So from whencesoever thou startest forth turn thy face in the direction of the Sacred Mosque; and wheresoever ye are turn your face thither That there be no ground of dispute against you among the people Except those of them that are bent on wickedness; so fear them not but fear Me; and that I may complete My favors on you and ye may (consent to) be guided.

[Holy Quran 2:177]
It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness―to believe in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Book and the Messengers; to spend of your substance out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans for the needy, for the wayfarer for those who ask and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer and practise regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient in pain (or suffering) and adversity and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth the Allah-fearing.

Holy Quran 5:55-56:
Only Allah is your master/protector and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.And whoever takes Allah and His messenger and those who believe for a guardian, then surely the party of Allah are they that shall be triumphant.

Holy Quran 2:285-286:
The messenger believes in what has been revealed to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers; they all believe in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers; We make no difference between any of His messengers; and they say: We hear and obey, our Lord! Thy forgiveness (do we crave), and to Thee is the eventual course.
Allah does not impose upon any soul a duty but to the extent of its ability; for it is (the benefit of) what it has earned and upon it (the evil of) what it has wrought: Our Lord! do not punish us if we forget or make a mistake; Our Lord! do not lay on us a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us, Our Lord do not impose upon us that which we have not the strength to bear; and pardon us and grant us protection and have mercy on us, Thou art our Patron, so help us against the unbelieving people.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by LagosShia: 11:32pm On Jul 02, 2011
@frosbel

Furthermore, why are we required to read God's word and speak to Him only in Arabic? Does God only speak Arabic? Is He not capable of understanding my African language? Thank God that the Holy Bible is now in over 2,000 known languages around the world. Because I know my God is able to speak every language. It's not a problem for Him.

the Holy Quran is also translated into many languages and one can read it in all languages to understand the message.infact it is highly recommended that a muslim reads the Quran in his own local language to understand its message while he also studies it in arabic.but when it come to performing ritual or obligatory islamic prayers,why must every muslim pray in arabic and recite the Quranic prayers in arabic?this question would be answered in my next post.but also,lest you forget i should wake you up from your slumber and remind you that in catholic churches latin is used to this day in sunday masses even though they use african drums and dance the african way.was the bible originally written in latin?did Jesus or any biblical prophet speak latin?the answer to both questions is NO! yet christians attend mass where latin is used because it is the language of rome,the seat of the papacy as it used to be.as for the Quran,arabic is the divine medium that was used in its revelation and our Prophet Muhammad (sa) used arabic too.so that is enough pride and honor that we use arabic in our worship and devotion.a great nation like the islamic nation must have its language that unite all its adherents.muslims come from every backgraounds,races and ethnicities aroung the world.the use of arabic unites us as one brotherhood who worship the One God with one language which everyone understands or recognizes in prayer and worship.if every muslim is to use his own language/mother tongue,there would be no unity and muslims from different countries would not find it easy to worship together.

another reason that christians cannot recite the bible in aramaic or hebrew is because the new testament particularly has no original manuscript.the manuscripts are lost and gone.even to this day,after the distortions and editing that the bible has suffered,many still learn greek,hebrew and aramaic to be able to understand the message more clearer from the pieces that remain of it.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by LagosShia: 11:34pm On Jul 02, 2011
Why (Muslims) pray in Arabic?
by Ahmed .H. Sheriff

http://www.al-islam.org/why-pray-arabic/
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by LagosShia: 11:35pm On Jul 02, 2011
Why should we pray in Arabic?

The question some times is asked as to why should a Muslim pray only in Arabic language and not his mother tongue.

It may first seem logical that every Muslim should pray through his own mother language, so that he may understand what he say; but a little more thinking and study, we shall find that there are strong arguments in favour of only one common language and that also Arabic.

Arabic: A deep and vast Language
It is a fact recognized by the linguists that the Arabic language has the best ability to express wide and deep thoughts and to explain important subjects in short and precise words. Moreover, it has been proved that no language, except Arabic, is capable of presenting such deep spiritual, moral and ethical expressions in such an eloquent manner. Therefore the choice of Arabic for Islamic prayers is not to be wondered upon.

Veccia Vaglieri,an Italian orientalist in the University of Naples, writes in her book on Advancement of Islam, that in no literary work of the world can there be found such deep-meaning sentences with such beautiful words except in the Qur'an; and that depth of meaning is crowned with such eloquent language.

The late George Bernard Shaw, in the course of his discussion on Islam at Mombasa during 1943 said: “I also very much admire the forcible and striking diction of the Qur'an. What grace and beauty characterizes that passage which depicts the dreadful scene of the dooms-day field, and dealing with infanticide, dramatically leaves off at the question, 'For what crime wert thou slain?' to the innocent child that was buried alive or put to death. In my opinion it is the most effective way of creating an abiding impression on the minds of people.”[1]

Professor Arbury, the well known orientalist scholar (University of Cambridge), says that no language has and shall have the ability to put in a short sentence, the word من (Min) (which is repeated five times in an ayat of the Qur'an) without disturbing the eloquence and conveyance of its meaning, except the language (Arabic) which is chosen for the Qur'an to convey the message of Islam.

A Common Language for the Islamic Prayer
All Muslims perform their religious rites and worship of God, including the daily five time prayers, in Arabic. In the course of these prayers, some verses of the Qur'an and other sentences, are uttered so as to express the Greatness and Glory of Allah, the Creator, and the humbleness and insignificance of the human beings, the creatures.

This is done in the same wordings by all Muslims, Arabs and non-Arabs alike, even by those who do not understand Arabic. This system of prayers in one common language was in practice during the life time of the Prophet of Islam and has continued after him for more than 1400 years. In every country, Muslims have been praying in Arabic language.

Cementing the Islamic Brotherhood
Prayer in Arabic cements the Islamic brotherhood and emphasizes the universal character of Islam. Islam has come for the entire Human race. It is a fact that the Muslim Communities of the world, like all other communities, speak numerous languages and dialects. At the same time it should be appreciated that our life today is rapidly assuming international character. Distance between any two points of the world has shrinked fantastically. In every place you will find Muslims speaking different languages. Imagine a Muslim who is an Englishman going to China and passing through a street. Suddenly he hears the voice of, say 'ching-chang-chung' which, let us suppose mean 'Allahu Akbar' - God is Great.

No doubt the stranger would not understand that it is a call for Muslim prayer and would miss the opportunity of praying in congregation with the people of that locality. Incidentally, the mosques in China do not resemble in appearance to those in Europe or other Eastern countries and are without minarets. Conversely, if a Chinese travels abroad where people pray in their local language, he would not be able to understand it and participate in it.

Sayyid Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi, Chief Missionary of Bilal Muslim Mision, writes:
“Prayers in Arabic are an important factor cementing the solidity and unity of Muslims all over the world. Nowadays if a Muslim from Czechoslovakia enters a mosque in the interior of Congo, he finds himself at home and participates in the prayer without any hint of bewilderness. What will happen if every man is told to pray in his own language? Can this feeling of Unity and Oneness survive?”

Thus, Islam, the universal religion, has paved the way of common approach to God, has united its followers and instilled in them a feeling of everlasting Brotherhood.

One cannot ignore the racial, colour, or national prejudices which are rife these days almost in every country, Islam has not only condemned all sorts of discrimination but has shown the practical way of fostering fraternity and brotherhood. A common language for religious services plays a great part in bringing people close to one another and create a feeling of equality in the eyes of God.

Qur’an, Work of Allah
Arabic in which the Holy Qur'an and traditions of the Prophet have been revealed has a special status and honour. This high status of Arabic is not due to its being the language of the Arabs; rather it is because of its being language of Qur'an chosen by Almighty God for conveying His last message and revelation.

Muslims believe that the Holy Qur'an is the Word of God. As such, it is only befitting that the recitation of the word of God is done in the same form and language in which it was originally pronounced. Spiritually, a faithful Muslim finds himself ascending higher and higher with the support of the words of God as expressed in the original language which is Arabic.

Translation almost Impossible

Any translation of the original will not be the word of God but the work of human beings. Keep in view the imperfect human knowledge, and remember that Arabic is the widest and richest of all languages. Then you will have to admit that no translation of the Qur'an would be perfect enough to carry the true meanings and to fulfill the spiritual purposes.

Sayyid Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi writes on this subject:
“Praying in English: First of all, translation of any work of literature from any language into another is considered by all men of literature as almost impossible. Of course, you will find thousands of translations of literary works, but they represent only the body of the original; the spirit is always lost.

Secondly, Arabic language, in particular, is so comprehensive that, for example, it is just impossible to convey the complete idea of a word (let alone a 'sentence') into English. Take for example, the most common phrase الحمد لله which is generally translated as “All praise be to God.” Now ال conveys in Arabic the following shades of meaning:

1. Each and every individual of the thing mentioned, taken separately;
2. All the individuals of the thing mentioned taken jointly;
3. The species of the thing mentioned taken as an abstract idea etc.

Now if you want to translate ال in such a way as to convey all the meanings mentioned above you will have to say 'Each and every, all and the.'

Then comes حمد . There is not a single word in English to convey its idea. 'Praise' is translation of مدح not حمد ; Thanks' is translation of شكر not حمد.

“Hamd” means “to praise and thank someone because he deserves to be praised whether he has done you any favour or not provided that his qualities are not given to him by someone else.”

How can anybody convey this idea in translations?
Now comes (L) of الله It conveys the idea of 'For', 'Of, 'Belonging to' etc. No single English preposition can cover the whole range of its meanings. الله is generally rendered as 'God'. But, first of all 'god” is not translation of الله because الله means 'One who deserves to be loved' and 'Into whom every one seeks refuge.'

Secondly الله has no plural and no feminine. So this name itself reflects light upon the fact that He is one and only “one and that He has no partner nor any equal. But “god” has plural (gods) and feminine (goddess).
This short explanation should be sufficient to show that it is impossible to translate the Qur'an in such a way that the translation conveys all the shades of meanings of the original”.
In the words of A. J. Arbury, the Qur'an is “a foreign idiom, for the Qur'an is God's revelation in Arabic, and the emotive and evocative qualities of the original disappear almost totally in the most skilful translation.”[2]

It is clear, therefore, that no translation can replace this, divine literary work at all. Of course, a number of English translations of the Qur'an have been published; but it has always been felt that yet another effort for better translation is necessary, because all existing translations appear inadequate or carrying misleading meanings of certain verses. This feeling is not restricted to English translations; but it affects also those in other languages. Under the circumstances, should one make use of the defective translation and leave aside the perfect original, particularly when he is addressing the Almighty Allah?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

[1] He was referring to the opening ayats of the Sura 81
[2] The Holy Qur’an, An Introduction; London,1953
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by UyiIredia(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2011
Martian:

All science is based on cause and effect while every religion is based on ignorance of the natural world.

Science starts from ignorance and approaches enlightenment. Same goes for religion[i] de gustibus[/i]

Martian:

You worship Yahweh because its illogical to think the universe created itself but absolutely logical that this yahweh thing created itself?  At least we know that the universe actually exists.

Yes. As an uncaused first cause. Your position demands that I assume the universe to be the only uncaused cause. Forgive me, but that is more wishful than paganistic rituals. How can a Nature that is based on/effuses the relationship of cause and effect be itself uncaused.

Martian:

Jesus wasn't depicted as racist. So? That doesn't make your religion less ethnocentric. Every religion is ethnocentric and outsiders are the ones that have to be converted.
Examples of ethnicentricity are
The Jews created Yahweh and that's why they are the chosen people just like the yorubas were the first people made in Ile Ife by Oloodumare. The same way the Arabs claim god speaks Arabic. The same way ancient greek gods were only concerned about Greeks. Gods care about the people who create them and unless those people proselytize, enslave, cajole or brainwash other peope, they are the only ones that will know about that particular god. Zoroastrians believe in their own god but because they dont go around converting people you won't see any of them around unless you go to some parts of Iran. If they had acted like the good Christians and Muslims, there would black people on this site professing Zoroaster as the son of god and Ahura Mazda as the one true god.

Not quite, Religion is necessarily ethnocentric in the same way the economy, polity and society is generally ethnocentric in format. Even atheism is subject to ethnocentrism. The reasons for irreligion can vary along ethnicity.

Martian:

I asked why it took the so called "good news" centuries before it reached African shore because Jesus us supposed to be the way to eternal life  grin(wishful thinking) and people were dying and going hell because there weren't saved! Why did the good news take a European detour first? By the time the good news reached Africa, a Jew that was supposed to have lived in the middle east looked white and also had a made up English name.  JESUS.

People apprehend God/Nature to various levels (by various religions). I submit to you that to the level you apprehend God (despite your religion) He rewards you.

Martian:

I said too many black people are ignorant because it's the truth!!! I know all about ancient Egypt, Mali, Oyo bla bla bla. I'm talking about present day black folks in places like the "giant of Africa" and even in America. 

In a sense they are ignorant. But they still make do with pre-requisite knowledge necessary to give them the basic amenities of life, an a generally placid existence. This has little to do with religion, butbwith stultified political structures caused by the neo-imperialistic aims of our former white masters

Martian:

Every question I asked about your god was rhetorical. I know your primitive Jewish idea of an all powerful being doesnt exist.

Good luck to you . . . But I suppose you do not believe in luck - for instance.

Martian:

As for the people you called intellectual hypocrites, they are not. They just live in advanced societies with good educational systems so they don't have reasons to believe  sky daddy.

Education is one out of a variety of reasons people choose to disbelieve in God. This has not yet toppled my assertion that people who waver over the subject of God's existence (after previously asserting it) based on modern science are being hypocritical. B4 I join them, they must have a VERY solid case for now deciding that there is no God

Martian:

Oblivion doesn't await you when you die. Nothing awaits you, you're f-cking dead!!! You don't have a soul that will experience anything, your brain dies and YOU die.
That's my point: Oblivion is nothing. If you assume that all human activities are strictly as a result of brain processes you must not have sufficiently harmonized neurology with psychology. keep in mind the fact that it is acknowledged in medical circles that human beings have levels of consciousness which are independent of brain processes. A simple perusal on Sigmund Freud should suffice as backup to what I've just stated

Martian:

Do I know where dreams come fromgrin  How about your damned brain? This can't even be a real question!!!

I ask because dreams are based on extra-sensory perceptions. They project things outside that which has been experienced. it is majorly because of the question of dreams that a mind is assumed to exist. Brain processes do not fully explain the occurrence of dreams.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 02, 2011
Good job Lagosshia and Sweetnecta,jazakallahu khairan.
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by bashydemy(m): 7:38am On Dec 02, 2011
am seeing this thread for the very first time good job Lagoshia and sweetnecta

@frosbel you have been rubbishing your self for long,  you start a thread ask question and when those questions was answered you left the thread shame on you i always say this bring on anything to change Islam and we surely have some intellectual that will floor you no matter what,  once again shame on you
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by bashydemy(m): 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2011
frosbel:

I believe Lagoshia and the rest have answer your question but this i will answer you, even in your Bible God say he will at the end time he will ordain one Language that will be use to pray to him and that language is Arabic cos that is what alla muslim no matter what ever Language they speak in his/her country they pray to God in Arabic if you want proof let me know.

Furthermore he mention about one great mountain that everybody will go to every year if you want proof of that too let me know and you can defend them,
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by theseeker2: 12:02am On Dec 05, 2011
frosbel:

Muslims claim that the Christian West wishes to control Africa. Yet why is it that we Africans must not like the Coca Cola culture of the West, but we are obliged to start wearing seventh century Arab dress once Islam is taken on? What's wrong with my good African cultural dress? And why is it that Black African Muslims are obliged to pray facing a Saudi Arabian city: Mecca? Who is dominating who? Why not face the local town (i.e. Nairobi or Lusaka, etc.)? I thought God was everywhere, and that prayer should be directed to Him who lives in heaven above the earth.

I have just one question for you

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN TO WORSHIP A JEWISH CAPENTAR AS YOUR GOD?
Re: A Disturbing Question Concerning Muslim Culture by bashydemy(m): 12:18am On Dec 05, 2011
^^ I bet he can never have answer to that cos he has been brainwashed

(1) (Reply)

New Generation Church Agidingbi Ikeja Asking For Refund Of Church Bus / Prophet T.B. Joshua Speaks Of Pope Francis Of The Catholic Church / How I Wish Nijaz Could Do This For The Likes Of Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.