Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness (13376 Views)

7 Lies Of Apc/buhari: An Expose' / El-rufai Posts Cramjones Expose On His Facebook Via A Nlder / An Expose' On Oshiomhole's Mansion In Iyamoh, Auchi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 11:04am On Aug 05, 2007
How Dangote Seized His Uncle’s Tin Can Island Port

Apart from the famous surname, the name Usman Dantata may mean nothing to the average Nigerian. But Alhaji Usman, 57, is the biggest benefactor of the maverick self-styled billionaire businessman Aliko Dangote. In fact, he made Aliko Dangote what he is today. Ironically, Alhaji Usman is today a cripple, downcast and barely ekes out a living in Kano, having been destroyed by the same man he helped many years ago.

LEADERSHIP Sunday authoratively learnt that Usman Dantata, who is the sixth son of Alhaji Sanusi Dantata, Aliko Dangote’s grand father (father of his mother Mariya Dantata), became fond of Aliko. This was because Aliko is the eldest grandson of Sanusi and also a favourite of the family. He had grown up with Sanusi since he was two.

Aliko got married on May 27, 1977. In December of that same year, Alhaji Sanusi took him to Lagos and handed him to Usman for guidance and for the purpose of apprenticeship. Usman had already distinguished himself in commerce.

He agreed to take Aliko and they both stayed in a house at No. 29A Probyne Street (currently owned by Alhaji Umaru Muttalab, the chairman of First Bank).

Sanusi continued to influence the career of the then young Aliko by urging Alhaji Usman to be favourably disposed toward his ward, especially by according him preferential treatment in the cement trade he (Usman) was engaged in.

Usman willingly immersed Aliko in the cement business and was giving him special concession in the trade. That was how Aliko made his first break. He was earning an average of N10,000 each day at a time a Mercedez Benz 200 car cost N7,000.

When Mehta, the general manager of the cement company, did not think Dangote should be accorded special favours, Alhaji Sanusi had to travel to Lagos to give him a dressing down. Mehta, humiliated and scared for his job, had to beg on his knees. He was made to sign an undertaking that he would never "misbehave" again. He was allowed to keep his job but warned never to tamper with Dangote’s rise again in the business. Aliko was to dump the cement business within a few months . He went on to set up his own business in New York in 1978. It was called ALCO International.

Time passed and, in August 1985, Alhaji Usman Dantata was attacked by suspected assassins. He survived the near-fatal attempt, but has since become a cripple with his whole body, from the neck, paralysed.

Fortunately for Usman, he had a thriving port business close to the government-owned Tin Can Island Port. There was also a vegetable oil-refining plant within the complex. And, in spite of his ill health, he was making an average of N50 million per month from the port. The money kept him and his family going and also defrayed his medical expenses.

But in a classical twist of fate, about 10 months ago, Aliko Dangote suddenly beamed his searchlight on Usman’s port business and promptly made plans to add it to his chain of monopolies.

Aliko contacted the then President Olusegun Obasanjo and said: "There is a man who owns a port in Tin Can Island who has not been paying ground rent."At the time, payment of ground rent was a misnomer in that area.

To be fair to Obasanjo (as strange as this may sound), he had no idea of who Dangote was referring to. But characteristically Obasanjo, without checking for details, promptly barked at his aides to get him the managing director of the Nigerian Ports Authority whom Dangote had strategically brought to Abuja for the same purpose. Dangote made his GSM readily available to Obasanjo to call the MD.

Obasanjo then vehemently gave orders that the port should be confiscated. It was a bemused Usman who later got two letters on the same day asking him to pay up a ridiculous and outrageous ground rent. The other letter asked him to vacate the premises and hand it over to Dangote, who automatically became the owner of the port and the lucrative vegetable oil business.

Obasanjo’s order, of course, runs counter to due process and the spirit of the Land Use Decree of 1978.

Under Nigerian law, land could only be seized in the overriding public interest. In the case of Usman, a travesty of justice occurred when the cripple’s asset was taken and given to Dangote.

Prominent Northerners are now working on Yar’Adua to revoke the hostile takeover of the property and return it to the rightful owner, Alhaji Usman, who is also an uncle of Aliko Dangote.

But then, this is not the first time Dangote has dealt a fatal blow on the business of a family member or an associate. He recently crippled one of his brothers, Sani Dangote, who was in the cement industry. Sani’s cement company, just like that of Chief Ibeto, was ruined overnight.

Today, Sani is a mere director in Aliko’s company’s; he receives a monthly salary from his big brother.
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/product_info.php?products_id=10279
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by mellow(m): 11:39am On Aug 05, 2007
The evil that men do,
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by TheOne2(m): 11:58am On Aug 05, 2007
People just peddle falsehood all over the place
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by DisGuy: 1:49pm On Aug 05, 2007
how low can people get, whatever happened to our 'God fearing' mantra in Nigeria? why are people stooping so low to rubbish other peoples name and achievements?

some journalists in nigeria should be punished under sharia law wink
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by PawPaw3(m): 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2007
Just a thought: Long time ago I was told Dantata used to print the Naira. I wonder if he gave the printing machine to Dangote?
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2007
That Dangote schemes against others is no news. It is commonplace knowledge. He did it to Ibeto, for instance. I for one believe the story.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by denex: 3:21pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Xris74

No Dangote schemes against himself for others. Duh! Why do you think they call it competition?

Please this paper you're quoting, LEADERSHIP Sunday, do they sell it in this Nigeria? Or in Cotonou?
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 3:41pm On Aug 05, 2007
They sell it in your village  grin grin grin. Your arguments are always warped.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by denex: 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Xris74

you mean I have to go home to Warrake to buy this paper? Yet they were in Aso Rock when Dangote was giving OBJ his GSM to call the NPA. Na witchcraft dem use? Because that is what my village people are known for. Are they getting all these detailed information using black magic?

LIARS!!!
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by IykeD1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 05, 2007
Leadership Sunday, na wetin be dat? It sounds like the name of toilet roll paper in Benin. . .
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by lovemajek(f): 5:14pm On Aug 05, 2007
If this is true then isale oro olegbin.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by denex: 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2007
It sounds like the name of a children's Sunday School book.

Leadership Sunday. Never heard of it, but I'll call my village to know how far. I think it's my wicked step mother that is behind this unknown pamphlet.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by otokx(m): 7:37pm On Aug 05, 2007
If its true then too bad.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 8:11pm On Aug 05, 2007
Can anyone remind me of any company that Dangote started from scratch. He seems to have a penchant for bulldozing his way into already established (albeit comatose) companies. Let's see how he fares now that his man friday, Obasanjo is no more ''active''.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by DisGuy: 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2007
erm the same way he fared when ibb went, then abacha, then obj he is growing bigger even, omo the guy is a stayer don't hate- you spend so much time hating-- frightening thing is you're studying for a phd shocked or is it [b]P[/b]ull [b]h[/b]im [b]d[/b]own?
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2007
You sound very much like a tout, Dis(stupid)Guy as you use words loosely. What is the proof that I hate Dangote? The problem with many Nigerians is either their pretencious nature or their clannish siege mentality. Pity. Now buzz off, you nosy, buxom rat
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by PawPaw3(m): 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Xris74
The problem with many Nigerians is either their pretencious nature or their clannish siege mentality.
So which one be your problem? If you are fed up with Nigerians try another website. I hate this stupid "The problem with many Nigerians" statement. If you have the solution to our problem why don't you say so instead of denigrating your homeland. Sabi sabi abeg carry go jare.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 9:07pm On Aug 05, 2007
Another hungry slowpoke on the prowl
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by denex: 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Xris74

don't you think that you are mad? You have called others (including many Nigerians) stupid, warped and imbecillic. Leaving only yourself as the sole-surviving mentally sound individual on this thread.

Could it be that it is not everybody else that is mad but you? Consider it because you have just expressed the first symptom. It is not necessary that you strip naked in a market-place before you can confirm you're far gone.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by PawPaw3(m): 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2007
@Xris74
Another hungry slowpoke on the prowl
Hungry ke? I fit feed your entire family o boy. Hahaha
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Danmasani(m): 1:06am On Aug 06, 2007
denex:

@Xris74

don't you think that you are mad? You have called others (including many Nigerians) stupid, warped and imbecillic. Leaving only yourself as the sole-surviving mentally sound individual on this thread.

Could it be that it is not everybody else that is mad but you? Consider it because you have just expressed the first symptom. It is not necessary that you strip naked in a market-place before you can confirm you're far gone.
Paw-Paw:

@Xris74Hungry ke? I fit feed your entire family o boy. Hahaha

LOL grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by knotty(m): 9:36am On Aug 06, 2007
Paw-Paw:

na only feed? you go clothe dem, house dem and educate him clan join.
some people are just plain. plain as in empty upstairs. else how do you go into name calling for no apparent reason.

home training good o grin grin grin
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by desgiezd(m): 9:46am On Aug 06, 2007
A major problem on Nairaland is that oftentimes, we deviate completely from the message a thread poster is trying to put across  thereby making very interesting threads loose their potency. Pleeeeeaaaseeee, lets reduce all these bickerings and our combactive nature and return to the message and contribute meaningfully.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by tng(f): 10:06am On Aug 06, 2007
@Xris74
Nigga please, what is your obsession with dangote. always come up with negative stuff about him.Whatever, its a dog eat dog world so deal with it. He is made player; don't HATE.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by ono(m): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2007
denex:

@Xris74

Paw-Paw:

I have been laughing my friggin butt off!!!
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by jaso1(m): 12:15pm On Aug 06, 2007
The guy may be right about Dangote, I want us to know that most of this public figures enjoy what d guy quoted.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by laudate: 8:58pm On Aug 07, 2007
Hmmn. . . . . . .wonders shall never end. undecided I really don't think that Dangote would scheme out his uncle, because blood is often much more thicker than water, in the far north. Loyalty is sacred. Until I get to hear the truth from those who know the family quite well, I prefer to take this story with a pinch of salt. . . .nah, twenty pinches of salt, sef.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by texazzpete(m): 11:48pm On Aug 07, 2007
@poster
How does someone who has been earning N50 million monthly 'eke out' a living?

@all
see u guys and your double standards! when someone writes an article about Dangote, everyone's admonishing the poster to verify the source and claiming it's all a big rumour.

When it's Oprah Winfrey, no-one bothers to read the original article, let alone check the name of the paper, no one even bothers to remark on the disturbing fact that it was all from a user-submitted article on the Punch Online. the instant reaction was to point accusing fingers and start slinging truly horrendous insults.

When we complain bitterly of ethnic bias and foreign hatreds, i wonder if we see ourselves? Hell, even on the 'Goodluck Jonathan caught with naked girls on a plane' thread, people were still advising caution.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by BABEELOVE(f): 12:38am On Aug 08, 2007
I see you are new to the evidence game!!! Please do not lose weight on account of Nairaland oh!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by olivegirl(f): 12:22pm On Aug 08, 2007
aporoko man , dont try to swim in lions skin because the lion is still alife
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 09, 2007
HI,
MOST NIGERIAN BUSINESS MEN ARE LIKE THAT!I AM NOT SURPRISED AT DANGOTE BECAUSE HIS LIFE REVEALS IHIS MOTIVES-I MEAN DID U OBSERVE HIS REMARK AT OPRAH'S ISSUE.BUT FOR SUCHNO MAN BITES D FINGER THAT FED HIM N GO FREE.WHY DO BLACKS PREFER 2 B RECOGNISED PUBLICLY WHILE THEIR FAMILIES SUFFER IN PENURY?IT IS D SAME STORY ONLY FEW ARE NOT GUILTY.
I HAVE NEVER ADMIRED DANGOTE 4 HIS STUPENDOUS WEALTH B/C MOST OF HIS/THEIR PHILANTROPHY IS JUST 2 BOOST THEIR PUBLIC IMAGE N NOT BORNE OUT OF SINCERITY.
I PITY HIS END BIG TIME.
Re: Dangote Revealed! An Expose On His Avarice And Selfishness by Xris74: 11:27am On Aug 12, 2007
dangote in fresh trouble

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly / Re: Kashamu Sponsors Bill On Mental Health / British Remembrance Day Service Held In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.