Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,355 members, 7,808,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Cruelty In India's Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cruelty In India's Culture? (2325 Views)

Cruelty, Exploitation & Stealing....we Need Changes In Our Personal Lives More / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Animal Cruelty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cruelty In India's Culture? by Emmyk(m): 11:21am On Jul 04, 2011
Four nights ago, I was chatting with one of my Indian facebook friends. So we were talking on each other's culture.afta telling her d groom's family pay d bribe price here,She said: HERE, THE BRIBE IS THE ONE THAT PAYS THE GROOM'S MOTHER (groom price I guess), MOST GIRLS DIE FROM TORCHURE INFLICTED ON THEM BY THE GROOM'S MOTHER ON LESS SHE PAYS THE WHOLE PRICE, asking her if she would go through such torments herself, she said: I'M GONNA MARRY SOMEONE WHO HAS NO MOTHER!!!
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by manmustwac(m): 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2011
I even hear stories of indian guys based in the u k who marry and collect huge dowries from the brides family and then return to the u k abandoming their new wife in india
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by african1(f): 7:25pm On Jul 04, 2011
Thats really sad sad sad
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by africhika(f): 2:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
[size=15pt]sorry, but indian culture has little respect for women[/size] (with the exception of the few indian matrilineal tribes)

[size=13pt]yes, the bride pays the grooms family. which is why indian families prefer to have sons.
that's been a cultural tradition for thousands of years, as indian culture is quite ancient

i read an article in the bbc a few weeks ago about indian wives who are forced to kill their baby girls--truly pathetic
oftentimes, a family with daughters will go bankrupt just trying to pay for their daughters to get married!

my mom is a nurse at a large hospital in atlanta. the indian families are always rude. She said one Indian guy actually spit on one of the black nurses! and the indian doctors always talk down to her and the other african nurses.[/size]

[size=15pt]80% of every indian man i have ever met was DOWNRIGHT RUDE, including the ones who work at the gas/petrol stations [/size]  angry(because here in atlanta, indians own a lot of gas stations
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by africhika(f): 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2011
Read the BBC article here: India's Unwanted Girls http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13264301
very sad

excerpt:

Kulwant has three daughters aged 24, 23 and 20 and a son who is 16.
In the years between the birth of her third daughter and her son, Kulwant became pregnant three times.
Each time, she says, she was forced to abort the foetus by her family after ultrasound tests confirmed that they were girls.
"My mother-in-law taunted me for giving birth to girls. She said her son would divorce me if I didn't bear a son."

Kulwant still has vivid memories of the first abortion. "The baby was nearly five months old. She was beautiful. I miss her, and the others we killed," she says, breaking down, wiping away her tears.
Until her son was born, Kulwant's daily life consisted of beatings and abuse from her husband, mother-in-law and brother-in-law. Once, she says, they even attempted to set her on fire.

"They were angry. They didn't want girls in the family. They wanted boys so they could get fat dowries," she says.
India outlawed dowries in 1961, but the practice remains rampant and the value of dowries is constantly growing, affecting rich and poor alike.
Kulwant's husband died three years after the birth of their son. "It was the curse of the daughters we killed. That's why he died so young," she says.
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by iice(f): 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
They start to accumulate gold as children, for their dowry as adults.
As most cultures, men are the preferred sex/gender.

Some years back, there was a BBC documentary on women there.
It had mostly to do with what happens if they are accused of adultery, how the men treat them.
A bit disturbing.
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by african1(f): 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
This just breaks my heart sad sad I can't believe that people live or used live like this. I once read somewhere that in India when the husbad dies, and the wife has to go with him. She has nothing more to live for, so they bury her alive. sad
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by otele(m): 9:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
lol, what a culture. grin
i'll love to be indian . . to see pretty girls dying to pay money to be called my wife grin grin grin grin
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by manmustwac(m): 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
Have any of you guys ever seen an indian babe friend a black or even white guydo you know they can face death because it seen as an dishonor to thier family.
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by Emmyk(m): 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2011
otele:

lol, what a culture. grin
i'll love to be indian . . to see pretty girls dying to pay money to be called my wife grin grin grin grin

Rooflaf
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by Emmyk(m): 3:15pm On Jul 06, 2011
come see how she was appreciating naija's culture
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by africhika(f): 4:56pm On Jul 21, 2011
[size=18pt]a must watch!!!!!  [/size](very brief video on female infanticide & torture in india)

http://mediastorm.com/publication/undesired
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by dempeople(m): 6:24pm On Jul 21, 2011
africhika:

[size=15pt]sorry, but indian culture has little respect for women[/size] (with the exception of the few indian matrilineal tribes)

[size=13pt]yes, the bride pays the grooms family. which is why indian families prefer to have sons.
that's been a cultural tradition for thousands of years, as indian culture is quite ancient

i read an article in the bbc a few weeks ago about indian wives who are forced to kill their baby girls--truly pathetic
oftentimes, a family with daughters will go bankrupt just trying to pay for their daughters to get married!

my mom is a nurse at a large hospital in atlanta. the indian families are always rude. She said one Indian guy actually spit on one of the black nurses! and the indian doctors always talk down to her and the other african nurses.[/size]

[size=15pt]80% of every indian man i have ever met was DOWNRIGHT RUDE, including the ones who work at the gas/petrol stations [/size]  angry(because here in atlanta, indians own a lot of gas stations

Tell your mum to stand up for herself cos I myself work with indians and I always give it to them when I sense nonsense from them. Indians fear and respect anyone who is assertive especially if it's a black person. They fear black people. Tell her to be very assertive with them and she wouldn't be intimidated by them anymore.
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:27am On Jul 22, 2011
Ive heard many Indian women being a bit too dominating these days. tongue
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by pleep(m): 4:56am On Jul 22, 2011
I feel like Indians are taking over the u.s undecided
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:21pm On Jul 22, 2011
they might even soon take over the world and cart us all of into outer space or the moon. they must reduce their population. angry

i hope they send boko harm into another galaxy.
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by africhika(f): 10:44pm On Jul 22, 2011
^^ did boko haram come from india? i didn't think so undecided
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:37pm On Jul 22, 2011
if u read my sentence carefully, u will know what i mean. undecided
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by africhika(f): 11:25pm On Jul 23, 2011
use proper grammar
Re: Cruelty In India's Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:22am On Jul 24, 2011
dat non ff ur bisness.

(1) (Reply)

Wedding Memory / The Ukaan Language. / Nigerian Tribes: List Of Major Tribes In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.