Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? (17704 Views)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Why Are Nigerian Lecturers Wicked To Their Students? (Photo) / Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by lastpage: 7:56pm On Jul 07, 2011
@buzegee
finally. some more people with sense
anyway i respect everyone. i respect all professions. nothing personal against anybody. it just irks me to see a woman pounding yam manually in 2011 or grinding pepper with stones. like wtf ? this aint stone age period. or is it ?

Hey, slow down a minute! You cant judge that part except you're like me friend from Ekiti!
An original expert and he insists, NOTHING compares to the Iyan your Mama makes with those biceps!
And for good measure, do you occasionally take the "drops of sweat" that falls-in and makes the thing sooo-smoooth?

He went to the U.K and air-cargo a standard issue "Odoo" all the way down and he does it like no man!
Except that his neighbor had called-in the Police a few times!
The old scraggy bas*stard thinks he was pounding a humanbeing! grin

She said "all that hard work cant be for a few morsels of food, what amount of energy does it give you in return?

On a more serious note, anyone that has eaten "the two" (Poundo-Yam and "hard-core" Pounded yam) knows that "The difference is Clear"!

What do you exepect? Making Pounded Yam inside a Microwave!
God forbid bad rubbish!
(draws his Oodo out from under the bed and rolls his shirt sleeves up for some Pounding exercises!) tongue tongue

what do i do for a living you asked in one of your questions ? i currently sell gala at oworonsoki. pays the rent

Now that's what l call "Professionalism"! wink wink
Just be good at what you do!
And "show me the moneey"! grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 07, 2011
The Nigerian auto mechanics are also outdated,they use to function on trial and error before,but now they have been left behing after the production of hybrid cars,they will simply spoil your car.some will marvel once they open the bonnet and see the engine.As per the Nigerian doctors,does ones are now in full time business with indian hospitals,take a walk in pune,mumbia,hydrabad,Dehli,and you will see Nigerian patients all over who have been refered from Nigeria to treat themselves ,some doctors get commission for the number of patient sent over.I actually saw a Nigerian who did not have money for the heart surgery ,but his family were only able to get the plane ticket for him,they taught they will help him on humanitarian ground,but it did not happen,he died.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by lekside44(m): 10:01pm On Jul 07, 2011
i am not useless
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by buzugee(m): 11:32am On Jul 08, 2011
lastpage:

@buzegee
Now that's what l call "Professionalism"! wink wink
Just be good at what you do!"! grin grin
grin grin grin what money ? you wan borrow me some ?

lmao @ Dis guy. funny message.
olas2u:

The Nigerian auto mechanics are also outdated,they use to function on trial and error before,but now they have been left behing after the production of hybrid cars,they will simply spoil your car.some will marvel once they open the bonnet and see the engine.As per the Nigerian doctors,does ones are now in full time business with indian hospitals,take a walk in pune,mumbia,hydrabad,Dehli,and you will see Nigerian patients all over who have been refered from Nigeria to treat themselves ,some doctors get commission for the number of patient sent over.I actually saw a Nigerian who did not have money for the heart surgery ,but his family were only able to get the plane ticket for him,they taught they will help him on humanitarian ground,but it did not happen,he died.
"! ; naija mechanics i have no kinda experience with but i can just imagine the modus operandi of 'discover as I go along'

lekside44:

i am not useless
Who said you were ? you my friend are very useful wink
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by kepsi123(m): 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2011
Used seven years to complete a five year program in a nigerian university. Remember the 94 ASUU strike? Did not really felt i learnt anything of value.I tell you some of my lecturers were just plain dumb(and i say this without apologies to nobody).We have PHD holders who got there solely on the wings of plagiarism. I am in the oil sector and you need to see how our engineers are rated by roadside technicians called expats. Appalling i tell you. Don't ask i do not know the solution.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by DerMeister: 10:25pm On Jul 08, 2011
D poster probably failed maths & physics in waec n jamb and couldn't get admitted to study engineering,

D idiot's just thrash talking,
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by cheikh: 1:36am On Jul 09, 2011
lastpage
Putting all these together, l will conclude by saying that "the Engineers" are not the problem, our environment is the problem!
What sort of engineering prowess do you expect from a country where the Presidential Villa makes a yearly budget for "GENERATORS"?
We have a govt that pays "lip-service" to technological advancement, that is just the fact and l am not surprised, in a country that is 50yrs old, we just got a first graduate President at 48yrs!
And they are not even "honors" graduates
In a country where the head of the CBN is a graduate of Islamic Banking! (where are the chartered Accountants, the Economists, the Financial Managers, e.t.c ?)
In a country where mediocrity is the order [/b]of the day and round pegs are put in square holes, just because we must abide by "Federal Character and Quota Systems"? (Name one developed Nation that operates on Quota system or Federal Character?)

[b]The system we operate right now is just so rotten
we should actually recognize the "ingenuity" of Nigerian Engineers (and students in general) who can survive the constant abuse and deprivation called Nigerian Educational system.
What manner of Engineers can you produce from Universities with empty Laboratories and constant black-outs? Is that the students fault?

Maybe "buzeege" is still too young or too[b] inexperienced to grasp the enormity of the 'rot' and hence his frustration n "Nigerian Engineers" but really, they are not the problem.
[/b]

Gbam!!!^^^ the highlighted sad

Have you ever wondered why our own rich men (even if they did loot our national treasury) will rather stash their loot in Monaco, Belize or a Swiss bank, rather than "multiply it" by investing in such innovations?

^^ sadThey don't believe enough in the nation let alone trust that their money will be safe despite their exalted positions. You put your money where you have faith and confidence in grin grin.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by bokmal(m): 11:03am On Jul 09, 2011
If some guys in the jungle could do this, Imagine what a Nigerian grad could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oisg4BIF0hw
The enabling environment may not yet exist.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Paulo1980: 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2011
I come from Kenya and i can attest to the fact that most of our young professionals are only good in theory.

www.careerpointkenyajobs.co.ke
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by kodewrita(m): 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2011
@Paulo1980 I guess they are only good in theory which is why innovations like

M PESA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa

Open Data: http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/business/Kenya+allows+public+online+access+to+govt+data/-/2560/1197916/-/hh4v0e/-/

Ushahidi: http://www.ushahidi.com/

are all coming from KENYA.

here's a list of 20 more hot kenyan startups. http://memeburn.com/2010/08/20-kenyan-start-ups-worth-watching/

Just say you are another frustrated dude like some of my compatriots here. Your case is even worse than the people insulting Nigerian engineers.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by lekside44(m): 7:57pm On Jul 10, 2011
buzugee:

Who said you were ? you my friend are very useful wink

thank you very much. the situation in nigeria is very bad for our engineers
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
I believe that engineering in Nigeria has come of age. however i think its time we take it to a higher level. If all civil engineers would stop encouraging the construction of projects with substandard products, and engineers in other engineering fields too decide to insist on quality and not just personnal gratification. I think we would make the country a better and safer place for us all. The reason why people avoid Nigerian products and services is noting but quality. In the past we started well but along the line we missed it. I say we all take the time to look inward and retrace our steps. We should all have a standard .

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2012
The money to carry out a project is all ways available. There are financial institutions that are ready to fund projects, it's just that most of us just want to be given the money just like that without any concrete plan that can give the financed a well detailed information of the proposed project. So its either that we are not convining them well enough or we are not doing our home work properly.
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by madam: 10:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
yessssss keeee
Re: Are Nigerian Graduates Useless, Especially Engineers ? by rotorhead(m): 12:39am On Aug 09, 2014
am a Nigerian and on my own av design and build alot of engineering stuff; UAV, Unman sea vehicle, semi automatic rifle, weather adapted window and other interesting project, but I can say my major problem is funding & I beleive this also applies to many people in this country...but to sum it all I beleive Nigerian engineers are very good.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme 2015 / How Much Did You Spend On Your Final Year Project?? / 5 Types Of People You'll Find In A Student Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.