Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's (3255 Views)

Remembering 2pac : June 16, 1970 - September 13, 1996 / Eminem Or Usher- Who Was The Bigger Stars Of 2000s Decade? / Oba Omega(the Grikata Zoom Master) Storms Rstv Stars Of The Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2007
Is there any nairalander feeling classic acts like The Beatles, Otis Redding, Rolling Stones, Temptations, Bob Dylan, Lil Richard, Al Green, Johnny Cash, Elvis Prestly and rest ranging from the 50's- 70's.

I am so much into these guys, talk of real talent and lyrical poetry.

These guys rocked.

All you in my boat, holla
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2007
I feel you, my friend!

I was never a huge Beatles fan with respect to their early music, however. Certainly, they did some superb tunes, but, to my ears, many of them seemed somewhat derivative. Their later music was, to me, more interesting. Especially George Harrison's contributions.

And, at the risk of being ostracized, I must admit that I care very little for Elvis Presley. In all fairness, yes, he did have a few tunes that I liked. Perhaps if I were a female I'd feel differently about him!

What about The Guess Who? The Grass Roots? The Classics IV? The Association? The Vogues (I just recently saw them live!)?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2007
The Guess Who.
Such a beautiful group.

How bout Otis Redding or Bob Dylan? You didn't talk about them.
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 10:24pm On Aug 06, 2007
Bob Dylan: Truly fine songwriter--truly dreadful singer (I'm sorry, but let's be real).

Otis: Great emotion--masterful at evoking strong feeling.

What do you think of Sam Cooke?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 11:22pm On Aug 06, 2007
I disagree with Bod Dylan being a dreadful singer.
Go listen to this album "The Freewheelin"

ABout sam cooke. I can't less agree with his title as "the king of soul"
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 12:17am On Aug 07, 2007
Personally, I find all such titles as "King of Soul","Queen of Rock", "High Priest of Jazz" and others to be sophomoric at best. Either the ability is there to do the music or it's not.

To me Sam Cooke had a wonderfully smooth, expressive voice. So did Lou Rawls (remember their duet "Bring it on Home To Me"?)

What was your take on Dusty Springfield?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 7:32am On Aug 07, 2007
The truth is i don't really do much of Springfield.

But i have a couple of her songs on my pc, especially her 1st hit song "I Only Want To Be With You"

I even liked that song better when Hootie & the Blowfish did their own version. cool

Wat you say about the Tutti Frutty King? Lil Richard
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by suze(f): 11:01am On Aug 07, 2007
Whao! This is great i'm a fan of old skool music.Though I wasnt born within this era(50-70's), Its like i was there, when this songs were reigning, I just love them.Got to hear most of them as I was growing up in the 80's

Just don't wanna be lonely
Beatles(Yesterday,I wanna hold your hand, life goes on, let it be)
Everly brothers( message to mary, dreams, let it be me)
Cher(its in his kiss)
Millie small(My boy lollipop)
Hillside singers(i like to teach the world to sing)
Aretha franklin(say alittle prayer)
Tom jones(its not unusual)
John lennon(imagine)
J.D souther (you're only lonely)
Bob dylan(blowin in the wind)
bee gees(staying alive,how deep is your love, saturday night fever
Bobby benson(give me the nite)
Teddy pendergrass,barry white, whitney houston,stevie wonder,diana ross, Abba,elton john,shalamar,earth wind and fire
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 6:44pm On Aug 07, 2007
Little Richard is always delightful to hear because he's so entertaining!  You never know what's going to happen with him.  He's a bit of a loose cannon, so to speak.  And, all things considered, I don't think he really takes himself or what he does as seriously as it might seem that he does.

Let me suggest that you listen to Dusty Springfield's version of "The Look of Love."  It was a hit for her in '67.  I think it'll impress you.

As to you, suze, you mentioned the song "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely."  Did you know that the group that did that song (The Main Ingredient) featured Cuba Gooding, Sr. who is the father of the actor Cuba Gooding, Jr.?   As for Aretha, you must check out "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" which from circa 1974.  Stevie Wonder wrote it!   

When it comes to Dylan, one of my favorites of his is "My Back Pages."  Wonderful lyrics!  And, the BeeGees really did some superbly interesting things back in the 1960s!  Well worth a listen!

I'm not familiar with Bobby Benson, however.  I do remember that a singer/guitarist named George Benson did a song called "Give Me The Night."  Could that be to whom you refer?  If so, then I suggest that you also check out his version of the Leon Russell tune "This Masquerade."  He also did an INCREDIBLE re-working of the old Jackie Wilson standard "Baby Workout!"
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by doyin13(m): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2007
I don't know if any of you is familiar with the funk age of Naija Music. when Fela's group were still called Koola Lobitos.

The likes of Bola Johnson.

I can post the titles here if anyone is interested.

I tell you it is a treat, and if you aint dancing you must have stilts for feet.
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
@doyin13:
By all means, post those titles! I live in the US and am not, unfortuantely, familiar with many Nigerian artists/performers. Would they be available in the US?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by doyin13(m): 7:24pm On Aug 07, 2007
No worries. Give it till tomorrow.

It will be quite an education. It certainly was for me.
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by doyin13(m): 9:27am On Aug 08, 2007
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by suze(f): 9:43am On Aug 08, 2007
drrionelli:

Little Richard is always delightful to hear because he's so entertaining! You never know what's going to happen with him. He's a bit of a loose cannon, so to speak. And, all things considered, I don't think he really takes himself or what he does as seriously as it might seem that he does.

Let me suggest that you listen to Dusty Springfield's version of "The Look of Love." It was a hit for her in '67. I think it'll impress you.

As to you, suze, you mentioned the song "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely." Did you know that the group that did that song (The Main Ingredient) featured Cuba Gooding, Sr. who is the father of the actor Cuba Gooding, Jr.? As for Aretha, you must check out "Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)" which from circa 1974. Stevie Wonder wrote it!

When it comes to Dylan, one of my favorites of his is "My Back Pages." Wonderful lyrics! And, the BeeGees really did some superbly interesting things back in the 1960s! Well worth a listen!

I'm not familiar with Bobby Benson, however. I do remember that a singer/guitarist named George Benson did a song called "Give Me The Night." Could that be to whom you refer? If so, then I suggest that you also check out his version of the Leon Russell tune "This Masquerade." He also did an INCREDIBLE re-working of the old Jackie Wilson standard "Baby Workout!"

Sorry it was george benson I wanted to mention that sang Just give me the nite.Bobby benson was a Nigerian highlife musician in the 60's and 70's
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 5:20pm On Aug 08, 2007
Curiously, there is also an American actor named Robby Benson! grin
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 8:04pm On Aug 08, 2007
wow,

i see we got more old school fans in the house.

@suze and doyin13

wats up?

@drrionelli

you were right about Dusty Springfield. i dont know why i had always skipped her tracks in my playlist, but i think she's kinda gotten to me.

right now i got her on most of my favourite playlist.

@all
general opinions on Al Green
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by doyin13(m): 8:17pm On Aug 08, 2007
Al Green.

My fave track of his is 'Simply Beautiful' and not for sonic reasons alone.

Gets the ladies in the mood if you get my drift wink wink wink

Good Falsetto voice altho I prefer Curtis Mayfield's

Now Curtis Mayfield. God Singer for real.
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 11:18pm On Aug 08, 2007
Al Green: Unmistakably unique sound!

Curtis Mayfield: Whether solo or with the Impressions (check out I'm So Proud, especially), not only a splendid vocalist, but a gifted songwriter and social commentator. Underrated in spite of his many accolades!

How about Blood, Sweat and Tears?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by suze(f): 10:25am On Aug 09, 2007
Al green. Hmmmmmm. Did he sing "Just the two of us" or "Everybody wants to rule the world". I know Tears for Fears sang everybody wants to rule the world, but there's another person tha sang it.Yeah I remember now, Its Jamison Parker.

I think Al green sang just the two of us or I'm I mixing things up.Didnt Michael Bolton sing it?

Whao , There's a song Al green sang that I really like.I'm trying to remember
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 6:14pm On Aug 09, 2007
No, it wasn't Al Green who sang "Just the Two of Us." You're thinking of Bill Withers (by the way, Grover Washington, Jr. played the saxophone on that recording).

Al did, among others, "Let's Stay Together."

And, since I'm here and we are talking "old school," what about Stevie Wonder?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 8:54pm On Aug 09, 2007
@drrionelli

i think suze is right. Al Green did sing "just the two of us"

I even got the song on my pc.

about stevie wonder lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by suze(f): 10:45am On Aug 10, 2007
drrionelli:

No, it wasn't Al Green who sang "Just the Two of Us." You're thinking of Bill Withers (by the way, Grover Washington, Jr. played the saxophone on that recording).

Al did, among others, "Let's Stay Together."

And, since I'm here and we are talking "old school," what about Stevie Wonder?

Bill withers, Al green and Grover washington all did the song at different times.What i'm not sure of is who sang it originally between Al green and Bill withers.Definitely not will smith

Yeah , i love stevie wonder.He's got a magical voice.
Particularly: My cherie amour, thats what friends are for, part time lover,i just called and I also prefer his version of Bob Dylan's blowing in the wind.
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by dearstan(m): 8:23pm On Aug 10, 2007
@all
Im just curious. How many of us on this thread was around when all these old school songs where been done?

Like me i sure wasn't born during that period grin
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 8:31pm On Aug 10, 2007
Heck, I'm so old I can remember when J.S. Bach got his first harpsichord!
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2007
Come on, this topic can't be played out already, can it?
Re: Musical Stars Of 1950's - 1970's by drrionelli(m): 9:40pm On Nov 18, 2007
You know, a lot of the tunes that were made popular by these artists are available to be heard (and in some cases, actual footage of them exists) on YouTube.

Check them out for some memories!

(1) (Reply)

Download Patewo By Dayo Oyedun Music Sheet In PDF And Watch The Video / "The Nigerian Hip Hop Star (Nneka) Hailed As The Next Big Thing"- Cnn / (throwback) Sir Shina Peters -afro Juju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.