Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,447 members, 7,781,292 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:55 AM

Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss (5174 Views)

Photos Of Arrested Boko Haram + Weapons Recovered By The Nigerian Troops / Photo Of Arrested Boko Members, Foreigners Among. / We’ve Arrested Boko Haram’s ‘chief Butcher’ – Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by nduchucks: 3:23am On Jul 05, 2011
I don't think these government officials have learnt anything from their American and British counterparts yet. Did the American friends not inform the SSS of the effective methods used in Guantanamo Bay?

OVER 100 members of the Boko Haram sect arrested by the State Security Service (SSS) will not face prosecution, but will be won over by the government, to make them denounce the group and give details of the workings of the sect to government.

Assistant Director, Public Affairs of the service, Marilyn Ogar, who made the disclosure at a press briefing at the service headquarters, on Monday, disclosed that the men, made up of key cell commanders, as well as rank and file members of the group, were apprehended in six northern states of Bauchi, Kaduna, Kano, Yobe, Borno and Adamawa.

Ogar, at the briefing, also disclosed that the service, through information provided to it by patriotic Nigerians, had succeeded in demobilising about 12 improvised explosive devices (IEDs), popularly called home made bombs, in Kaduna State between May 23 and June 27.

Explaining why those arrested would not face prosecution, she said the decision was in line with the “carrot and stick” policy adopted by President Goodluck Jonathan in dealing with the Islamic group.

Detailing the success recorded by the service, Ogar said “on May 23, security operatives discovered and successfully demobilised eight IEDs concealed in small and medium size tins beneath a staircase in Kafanchan, Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

“On May 29, an IED planted at the Post Office area of Gonin Gora, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State was discovered and successfully demobilised.

“On June 10, an IED concealed in a sack placed under a kerosene tank on Engineer L.D. Abubakar road, off Kaduna-Abuja Expressway, by Central Market, Gonin Gora, Chikun Local Government Area, Kaduna State, was also discovered and demobilised.

“Information from patrotic citizens, on June 14, led to the discovery of an IED wired with nine volt battery, concealed under the railway track behind Dambo International College, Barnawa, Kaduna South Local Government Area. It was also demo-bilised.

“Also, on June 27, information received from patriotic members of the public assisted in the recovery of some components of yet-to-be assembled explosives. The items include a camping gas cylinder with a pin, detonating cables, a bottle of distilled water, plier, masking tape and clips.

“These were found in a hotel, and were meant to be used to bomb a shopping mall in Kaduna.”

Speaking further on the arrested members of Boko Haram, Ogar said their details would remain classified, “as they are still undergoing the process of de-radicalisation and perception management,” as the government was also trying to win their confidence back to the society.

She, however, said those caught, when eventually released, would be made to face the full wrath of the law if they were caught engaging in anti-social activities again.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/24546-arrested-boko-haram-members-wont-face-prosecution-sss
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by OAM4J: 3:56am On Jul 05, 2011
I guess they will be given special security allowances.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by koruji(m): 4:02am On Jul 05, 2011
Is the SSS using a version of its own constitution now? Seems so since according to it Rufail committed sedition by writing a newspaper article.

You arrest someone for a crime, you charge them to court. You didn't arrest them so you can give them amnesty - otherwise don't come telling anybody you have ">100" of them arrested.

Methinks they are cooking numbers now.

OAM4J:

I guess they will be given special security allowances.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by jmaine: 4:12am On Jul 05, 2011
They are trying to make them the eye of the SSS on Boko affairs . . .twist and turns abound in this development . . .i support their approach if thousands of their kind would be discovered and demobilized effectively . . . cos trying a few chaps quickly without getting some good information from them by any means would just be a temporal victory while their infection deepens. Just hope they know what they are doing
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by koruji(m): 4:19am On Jul 05, 2011
Nothing such is going to happen. These people are not trying to stay alive - they are people ready to blw themselves up for nothing really, while SSS is talking about turning them around.

We shall see how that works out - it might sound like a good idea right now, but next time the SSS arrests you for "jay-walking" and they claim you will not be prosecuted but be re-trained to become a "traffic-warden" we will watch you agree with them!

Prosecution doesn't have to move fast, and doesn't stand in the way of interrogating, converting them or whatever - if they have the means. I am sure our laws provide for non-public prosecution - if that is what is needed (if not let's go modify the constitution), but let's stop this making up of the constitution as we go crap.

jmaine:

They are trying to make them the eye of the SSS on Boko affairs . . .twist and turns abound in this development . . .i support their approach if thousands of their kind would be discovered and demobilized effectively . . . cos trying a few chaps without getting some good information from them by any means would just be a temporal victory while their infection deepens within
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by alex14(m): 4:28am On Jul 05, 2011
buyahayahayaha! grin The dungeon called "one-nigeria". What else is new,,,,,an evil country controlled by the hausa/fulani terrorists themselves.

Can a demon cast out a demon? undecided
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by nduchucks: 4:32am On Jul 05, 2011
alex_101:

buyahayahayaha! grin The dungeon called "one-nigeria". What else is new,,,,,an evil country controlled by the hausa/fulani terrorists themselves.

Can a demon cast out a demon? undecided

Since when did the Federal Executive Council become hausa/fulani terrorists? If Nigeria is evil, you, my friend, are the most evil of all Nigerians. olodo enabler.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by alex14(m): 4:43am On Jul 05, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Since when did the Federal Executive Council become hausa/fulani terrorists? If Nigeria is evil, you, my friend, are the most evil of all Nigerians. olodo enabler.

Ewu! I guess I'm the evil one that has been committing genocide in the years 1945,,,1953,,,1966,,,2006(in Jos),,,,2009(in Jos),,,2010(in Jos),,,,2011 (in Tiv land, Benue) and so on. The international community is seeing you cowards for what you are. Your days are numbered.

BTW, thanks for making the would be disintegration of the dungeon called nigeria easy via your boko haram cool.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by nduchucks: 4:51am On Jul 05, 2011
alex_101:

Ewu! I guess I'm the evil one that has been committing genocide in the years 1945,,,1953,,,1966,,,2006(in Jos),,,,2009(in Jos),,,2010(in Jos),,,,2011 (in Tiv land, Benue) and so on. The international community is seeing you cowards for what you are. Your days are numbered.

BTW, thanks for making the would be disintegration of the dungeon called nigeria easy via your boko haram cool.

Wishful thinking is not enough to get you your own country. Your superiors, led by the Great Ojukwu tried and failed, deal with it. Na ya boyfriend be Ewu, aje'kuta ma munmi. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by mikuz(m): 4:57am On Jul 05, 2011
I aint surprised.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by dayokanu(m): 6:37am On Jul 05, 2011
Is that Odechukwus clueless approach to resolving the issue?
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by violent(m): 7:17am On Jul 05, 2011
This is disgusting to say the least.  I am absolutely gutted to hear that any government would be taking such illogical, unreasonable, brash and utterly fooolish decision!

How exactly does the Federal government explain to Families and Friends of those who lost their lives and properties in the hands of these animals, that they won't be facing prosecution, but would be "won" over by the government?. . . . This is mad, our leaders have gone really mad!

These animals terrorized the country, they killed babies, women and husbands for being infidels, in many other cases, for doing absolutely nothing!!!  . .and government thinks it's okay for these animals to roam our streets once again?. . .simply because they are now friends with the government President?

Justice in Nigeria is soooo full of shyt!. . .a man can spend the rest of his life behind bars or face the hangman's noose if he had stabbed a friend to death over an argument (not that he really intends to). . .but animals that kill in thousands are now free to be called friends of the president, and would now roam our streets freely, perhaps even get paid a monthly wage at the taxpayers expense.

I am so angered, if the right opportunity arises, i'd beat the President black and blue.  Are they too daft, too dumb or just plain stupyd to realize that while a man fighting for better living conditions (MEND) can be persuaded to drop his arms and reason, the one fighting a religious fight will never be persuaded?  they are called terrorist for a reason!!!!  when people decide to leave their families and wealth behind, to blow themselves up in the name of religion, such people are absolutely unstoppable!!!!!
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by EzeUche(m): 7:35am On Jul 05, 2011
I hate this country!  angry
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by Everfrank(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerians talk too much. Nairaland is fast becoming a hate forum. Ethnic jingoist and mischief makers are always on the prowl to every discussion thread into an avenue of pouring their venomous hatred on their perceived opponents. All we need is that the Boko Haram menace should be nipped in the bud. We don't care how they do it. Let them just do it.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by violent(m): 7:49am On Jul 05, 2011
Everfrank:

Nigerians talk too much. Nairaland is fast becoming a hate forum. Ethnic jingoist and mischief makers are always on the prowl to every discussion thread into an avenue of pouring their venomous hatred on their perceived opponents. All we need is that the Boko Haram menace should be nipped in the bud. We don't care how they do it. Let them just do it.

Another bloody simpleton!

If you had seen the skull and brain contents of your lovely niece all over tv, then perhaps you'd give considerations to how Boko Haram is nipped!
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by harakiri(m): 8:03am On Jul 05, 2011
I guess this confirms the saying that "the only language Nigerians understand is brute force". Ken Saro Wiwa was killed for choosing to dialogue with govt while the MEND leaders have been "compensated" and granted amnesty. MASSOB leaders are arrested,detained and even killed for holding peaceful rallies while the OPC which is an independent militia has immunity from such "embarassments". Boko haram might soon become a political party like Hamas. Watch and see. This country is a monumental failure!
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by Demdem(m): 8:30am On Jul 05, 2011
Carrot and stick policy. angry angry angry angry
A useless Policy that can only emanate from a vision-less and gutless government.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by ojofu(m): 9:37am On Jul 05, 2011
Carrot and stick with Niger delta militants, Carrot and stick with Boko
haram. Other groups are watching.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by Bensonite: 9:41am On Jul 05, 2011
Carrot and stick approach/policy. I have never heard a policy like that. I am surprised at the way security issues are handled in this country. So if the BH guys know they will not be prosecuted how will it lessen the ones out there still waiting to carry out attacks. We are in a failed country.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 05, 2011
BOKO HARAM also want to have dinners and special cocktail party with jonathan,so sss should not prosecute them afterall what is good for the gooose [mend] is also good for the gander. grin
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by ChScott(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
To me this a welcome development. It is psychological.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by duality(m): 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2011
have they announced a date for the boko haram amnesty? people better get set to take advantage of it. monthly salary, trip/training overseas, men!!ones that one is announced, i'd get my grand fathers gun, submit it to the military and with special arrangement,  i'd find my sef at the corridors of power. ones your are in you are in, no matter the govt that comes on board.

well my own interest in all these boko haram story is WHEN , WHEN, when will they announce the amnesty for boko haram.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by mekaboy(m): 12:59pm On Jul 05, 2011

MEN THIS CARROT AND STICK MAKES SENSE OO, ITS LIKE I WILL FORM MY OWN GROUP AND BOMB A FEW PLACES . LET ME GET MY SHARE OF CARROT . AFTER ALL MEND GUYS DEY ENOY CARROT NOW . grin grin grin
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by redsun(m): 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
Foolis-h GEJ thinks islamist terrorists are like MEND,the political and human rights agitators that can be handled with kid's gloves

Any country that those animals gain ground to the point of negotiation and amnesty is fuc-ked for good
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by jamace(m): 1:09pm On Jul 05, 2011
What do you need that number for information for? You dont get information from that lot, you pay 98% in their own coin and the remaining 2% will vomit all the necessary information. Bullshit! angry angry
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by rrhostomy(m): 1:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
Naija calm down, two wrongs don't make a right. tAke clues from syria,pakistan,afganistan,ivory coast,greece, egypt, even USA and more countries, its not all abt guns and boots.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by mekaboy(m): 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2011

WELL SAID JAMACE, BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT THEY ARMED ROAMED THE STREETS AND ARRESTED PEOPLE ANYHOW, THEY DONT EVEN KNOW IF THOSE PEOPLE ARE MEMBERS OF BOKORHARAM . IF THEY COULD ARREST 100MEMBERS ONCE AND THE BOMBS ARE STILL BLOWING, THEN BOKOHARAM MUST HAVE 1 MILLION MEMBERS.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by whobemumu(m): 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2011
well 2 questions , were these guys ever actually bok ? or police just arrested everybody near them ?

2 ask the first question again
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by alexola20(m): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by MaiSuya(m): 2:11pm On Jul 05, 2011
Detailing the success recorded by the service, Ogar said “on May 23, security operatives discovered and successfully demobilised eight IEDs concealed in small and medium size tins beneath a staircase in Kafanchan, Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

just imagine if all these IEDS had exploded. . . sad
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by k9ine(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2011
D Fed Govt & d SSS has just shot themselves in d feet.
My only pain is that it's d innocent citizenry that would suffer slaughtering, gunning & bombing.
Not until a defence chief, minister or president or V.P is killed by BH, govt will not learn a lesson. (u dont negotiate wt terrorists)
REFORM A RELIGIOUS FANATIC: I DEY LAFF.
Re: Arrested Boko Haram Members Won’t Face Prosecution - Sss by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
i have just one question, who loses in the end? #justthinking

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Nothing Being Done About The Insane People On Our Streets? / Google Search Results For "Nigeria-South Africa" Surprised Me (Screenshots) / APC NASS Members Disappointed By Tinubu’s ‘dollar Rain’ During Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.