Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,890 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers (8184 Views)

America Opens Its Doors For Igbo And Hausa Speakers, Why? / Buhari's Comment In Hausa And The True Translation ( No Blood Mentioned ) / Is It Possible For Hausa People To Advance ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by PhysicsQED(m): 9:58am On Jul 05, 2011
I've been wondering about this for a while. What's the meaning behind the name Sambo in the Hausa language?

Most names have a meaning or origin in virtually all languages, so what does "Sambo" signify in Hausa?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 10:40am On Jul 05, 2011
majority of Hausa names are derive from Arabic. Mostly are 'localized' with a remote unknown meaning to the bearer. To my knowledge, sambo is an alias(not a real name) giving to a dull, foolish and uninspiring set of people.(am not kidding!)

That is the reason why you hardly find people of this generation bearing that name.

This is not funny! You can't be asked the name of your boy after a naming ceremony and you say 'Sambo', you will be laugh at and encourage to change the name. you will be laugh at and encourage to change the name.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Jul 05, 2011
So this guy na mumu.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Pukkah: 11:00am On Jul 05, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

majority of Hausa names are derive from Arabic. Mostly are 'localized' with a remote unknown meaning to the bearer. To my knowledge, sambo is an alias(not a real name) giving to a dull, foolish and uninspiring set of people.(am not kidding!)

That is the reason why you hardly find people of this generation bearing that name.

This is not funny! You can't be asked the name of your boy after a naming ceremony and you say 'Sambo', you will be laugh at and encourage to change the name. you will be laugh at and encourage to change the name.

This is a serious matter.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by midep: 11:01am On Jul 05, 2011
No wonder d man is dt dull, sambo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by md4real(m): 2:53pm On Jul 05, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

, sambo is an alias(not a real name) giving to a dull, foolish and uninspiring set of people.(am not kidding!)

finding this difficult to believe!
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Dotman01(m): 3:00pm On Jul 05, 2011
jonathan sambo. . . Two dull names. . .lol
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by hakanai(m): 3:14pm On Jul 05, 2011
@rhino
That is funny cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.
I doubt what you say is true sha.I doubt he would bare a name that insults him.Usually Hausa bare names that are middle eastern and things(natural occurring or actions or events or items or area or tools or profession or hausa days etc) around then.Eg Dan-gote - would literally mean "son of porridge" also like they refer to police as Dan-sanda meaning "son of stick".Mai-gari "owner of a town".Danladi- "son of sunday" (male) while "Ladi" (female) or Jummi and danjuma (son of friday).MaiRago (ram owner)
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by hasyak(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

+1
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by NegroNtns(m): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2011
Unlike the traditional islamic names, Sambo is a native Hausa name.

I believe it means junior sibling (like Dada in Yoruba), can't reflect correctly on my knowledge of Hausa native names now.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by tpia5: 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2011
To my knowledge, sambo is an alias(not a real name) giving to a dull, foolish and uninspiring set of people.(am not kidding!)

that's in north america, not nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 9:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
And don't you think you should have answer the OP's question inplace of all those examples you are typing?
To be candid can name your son sambo?

haka_nai:

@rhino
That is funny cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.
I doubt what you say is true sha.I doubt he would bare a name that insults him.Usually Hausa bare names that are middle eastern and things(natural occurring or actions or events or items or area or tools or profession or hausa days etc) around then.Eg Dan-gote - would literally mean "son of porridge" also like they refer to police as Dan-sanda meaning "son of stick".Mai-gari "owner of a town".Danladi- "son of sunday" (male) while "Ladi" (female) or Jummi and danjuma (son of friday).MaiRago (ram owner)
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
I've been wondering about this for a while. What's the meaning behind the name Sambo in the Hausa language?

Most names have a meaning or origin in virtually all languages, so what does "Sambo" signify in Hausa?[/b]Inquiring minds want to know.

The name Sambo in hausa means [b] "Second Son"
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 11:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
^ That is what the name suppose to be. grin but go answer Sambo to see whether you won't be laugh at.

"Kai ya kake abu kaman wani sambo?". . .meaning why are you acting like a slowpoke?
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
^

"Second Son" is what the name Sambo mean. Whether some people consider every second son a retard is an entirely different matter. Btw, the name is still in use today, mostly in the rural areas.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:11am On Jul 06, 2011
Maple:

^

"Second Son" is what the name Sambo mean. Whether some people consider every second son a slowpoke is an entirely different matter. Btw, the name is still in use today, mostly in the rural areas.
Thread closed, thats the real meaning of Sambo in Hausa tradition, the haters should keep on spitting the bull sh!!t,
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by tpia5: 1:16am On Jul 06, 2011
@ rhino

sambo has a derogatory meaning in america and its environs, not nigeria.

are you american?
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 6:16am On Jul 06, 2011
you just comfirmed my though. why does it have to be people in the rural areas that bears the name? I bet you can't answer that!

For example do you know the meaning of 'Dan fari'? !?. . .it means FIRST SON in Hausa but No one dare used the name at early statge until when you notice some mumu-ish atitude from the first child before people around will start referring him as 'Dan fari', 'Dan fari' . . .first son, first son/mumu, mumu which is seen as an insult in Hausa settings just similar to SAMBO. Infact there is away you will act and people will probe, are you 'Dan fari'?. . .for a layman you will think it is a genuine question but by implication they are telling you, you are a mooron. Those are titles that would be later used if for any chance you fit it into moorinic-expected characters in them.

TELL Us why the name is ONLY use in the rural areas, if you can! Keep that your google search to your self. I was actaully waiting for people like YOU to surface for some real lectures.
. . .And if Sambo is a real name why is it left for the illiterate villagers? You can never answer this!
Sambo ko, Danfari ni!

Maple:

^

"Second Son" is what the name Sambo mean. Whether some people consider every second son a slowpoke is an entirely different matter. Btw, the name is still in use today, mostly in the rural areas.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 6:22am On Jul 06, 2011
look i know northern America and i know northern Nigeria! I know sambo in northern America and i know sambo in northern Nigeria.
Having spend more than 25 years in Northern Nigeria, i think am qualified to bring in my knowledge to issues bordering Northern Nigeria. Take that from me with all honesty!

tpia@:

@ rhino

sambo has a derogatory meaning in america and its environs, not nigeria.

are you american?

Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by dustydee: 10:31am On Jul 06, 2011
What does kundun duri mean? wink
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 2:48pm On Jul 06, 2011
^ i assume you sincerly want to know.

kundun Duri is a Hausa terminology coined from two words.

Kundun=Deepest or innermost part of something

Duri= obo, ntir. Pussiee, toto, abunna, gindi cheesy cheesy

Kundun Duri=Innermost part of womanliness, or deepest part of toto where tempearature equivalents boiling temperature of water @ STP. shocked

Am a cold blooded creature grin i prefer the ventilating natural heater of that location tongue tongue to maintain my normal operating temperature.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2011
you just comfirmed my though.  why does it have to be people in the rural areas that bears the name? I bet you can't answer that!

For example do you know the meaning of 'Dan fari'? !?. . .it means FIRST SON in Hausa but No one dare used the name at early statge until when you notice some mumu-ish atitude from the first child before people around will start referring him as 'Dan fari', 'Dan fari' . . .first son, first son/mumu, mumu which is seen as an insult in Hausa settings just similar to SAMBO. Infact there is away you will act and people will probe, are you 'Dan fari'?. . .for a layman you will think it is a genuine question but by implication they are telling you, you are a mooron. Those are titles that would be later used if for any chance you fit it into moorinic-expected characters in them.   

TELL Us why the name is ONLY use in the rural areas, if you can! Keep that your google search to your self. I was actaully waiting for people like YOU to surface for some real lectures.
. . .And if Sambo is a real name why is it left for the illiterate villagers? You can never answer this!
Sambo ko, Danfari ni!

Wow, you know what "dan fari" means , so you should pls clap for yourselve. Your "lecture" on "dan fari" is very laughable. I wont even waste my time on that, cos it has no relevance to the issue of discourse. Thus,  it does not change the fact that Sambo mean "second son" . . .wadannan kame - kamen, da kuma munafircin da kake yadawa, duk aikin banza ne; aikin banza! tura agwagwa cikin ruwa (its a futile effort to push a duck into a river).

Hausawa kan ce: taburman kunya, da hauka ake nade ta (the mat of shame is folded with madness), hence I dont expect you to let go after I've apparently exposed your lies and bigotry .

You can believe whatever you want to believe about the name in question, if that makes you feel better. Besides, I am not here to convince the likes of you who are out to amuse themselves by spreading ethnic and religious bigotry, and turning blind eye to truth even when it stares them on their faces. My purpose here, is to separate opinions from facts, for the benefit of our objective readers.

It does not require much logic to know that cultural traditions are much stronger and entrenched  in "rural communities" owing to their less exposure to foreign influence(religious & ethnic-wise) in comparison to "big cities". And this is true for every culture ,anywhere you go in the world. Hence, traditional native names are more in vogue in "rural communities" than in "urbanized communities" where many people prefer to use their foreign names, thereby relegating  their native names - if any - to mere "aliases". Ironically, reverse is mostly the case in rural communities, and this is why the name Sambo- just like any other native hausa name - is more commonly in use in our "rural communities ". It has nothing to do with the false craps you are spewing.

And btw, if what you say is true, wouldnt such name disappear from our "rural communities" as well? or do you mean to tell our objective readers here that natives in "rural communities" are" illiterates" when it comes to matters pertaining to their cultures & traditions ?

Kabila irin ka, me kasani game da al'adan mu?
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by NegroNtns(m): 8:28pm On Jul 06, 2011
Maple,

Is it second son or the son born following a set of twins?

, I messed up when I said Dada in Yoruba, I meant Idoowu.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
SO 2 DUMB DUMB, have been running the country affairs since?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 06, 2011
Maple,

Is it second son or the son born following a set of twins?

, I messed up when I said Dada in Yoruba, I meant Idoowu.

Sambo implies second son. A son born after a set of twins is named Gambo.

1 Like

Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by dayokanu(m): 9:43pm On Jul 06, 2011
Dumb and dumber

Odechukwu and Sambo is a good people - Patience Odechukwu Jonathan
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by ezeagu(m): 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2011
Who cares? But this is what it means for the rest of the world:

[center][img]http://www.chgs.umn.edu/histories/otherness/images/dancingsamboA.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by NegroNtns(m): 11:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
Thank u Maple for correction. I'm glad no one called me to name their child. Lol!
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Rhino5dm: 4:44am On Jul 07, 2011
Dan gutsun uwarka wa ye kabila?. .(How dare you refer me to as kabila?)

Na san aa rina wai an saci zanin mahaukaciya. Ma ye sa shegiyan uwarka ba ta nada maka suna sambo ba?. . .(why did your stuupid mother didn't name you sambo?)

Wawan baragurbin banza bakwai! Efulefu Hausa.
Kabilan Jos, Kaduna ko Taraba. . .Hausawan asali suna ta kashe yan uwanka kaman ragon suna, amma kazo kana kiran wani kabila. Pathetic.

Don uwarka angaya maka ban san cewa kai daga bayin kabila bane? . . .(you thought i dont know you belong to the unfortunate generation of the rejected tribes that stem out of the slavery families of Hausa/Fulani kingdom). Dabban jeji(bush animal)

Shege! kai da Hausawan asali suna maka kallon dan ta'adda, zaka kazo ka ci wuri akai na. . . .Duk wadda you ja da ni, in ja da ubansa!

Boko haramun! Boko haramun!! the animal channted before detonating the IED wrapped around his chest to kill innocent people.
Such was the description of how insaniy derive goats to be wasting human lives on daily basis in name of suicide bombings. Terrorist!

Maple:

Wow, you know what "dan fari" means , so you should pls clap for yourselve. Your "lecture" on "dan fari" is very laughable. I wont even waste my time on that, cos it has no relevance to the issue of discourse. Thus, it does not change the fact that Sambo mean "second son" . . .wadannan kame - kamen, da kuma munafircin da kake yadawa, duk aikin banza ne; aikin banza! tura agwagwa cikin ruwa (its a futile effort to push a duck into a river).

Hausawa kan ce: taburman kunya, da hauka ake nade ta (the mat of shame is folded with madness), hence I dont expect you to let go after I've apparently exposed your lies and bigotry .

You can believe whatever you want to believe about the name in question, if that makes you feel better. Besides, I am not here to convince the likes of you who are out to amuse themselves by spreading ethnic and religious bigotry, and turning blind eye to truth even when it stares them on their faces. My purpose here, is to separate opinions from facts, for the benefit of our objective readers.

It does not require much logic to know that cultural traditions are much stronger and entrenched in "rural communities" owing to their less exposure to foreign influence(religious & ethnic-wise) in comparison to "big cities". And this is true for every culture ,anywhere you go in the world. Hence, traditional native names are more in vogue in "rural communities" than in "urbanized communities" where many people prefer to use their foreign names, thereby relegating their native names - if any - to mere "aliases". Ironically, reverse is mostly the case in rural communities, and this is why the name Sambo- just like any other native hausa name - is more commonly in use in our "rural communities ". It has nothing to do with the false craps you are spewing.

And btw, if what you say is true, wouldnt such name disappear from our "rural communities" as well? or do you mean to tell our objective readers here that natives in "rural communities" are" illiterates" when it comes to matters pertaining to their cultures & traditions ?

Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by NegroNtns(m): 5:14am On Jul 07, 2011

Rhino, ba zage a cikin rubuccin da Maple ya yi maka.

Ka yi hakuri ka daina zage zage, ban ga amfanin zage iyaye anan ba. Ka ji ko?

Maple, ka da ka lura da zagin, manta da Rhino kawai! Ka ji?
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 07, 2011
Thank u Maple for correction. I'm glad no one called me to name their child.  Lol!

You are welcome!

Maple, ka da ka lura da zagin, manta da Rhino kawai! Ka ji?

kwarai kuwa! ai shiru ma, magana ne.
Re: What does "Sambo" mean in Hausa? Question for Hausa speakers by NegroNtns(m): 5:33am On Jul 07, 2011
Ba shaka!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bomb Scare At AP-Plaza In Wuse 2 Abuja / COVID-19: No Nigerian Is Hungry, We Have Disbursed 100 Billion To Poor Nigerians / Yahaya Bello Increased Kogi Students Scholarships By 300%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.