Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Recipes For Some Igbo Soups - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups (17860 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups / Recipes For The Fruitful Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by Alert(f): 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2007
hi igbo ladies in the house especially anambra ladies.Please I need recipes for the following;
ofe nsala
ofe agwu(palm fruit)
ofe olubu(bitterleaf soup)
ofe owerri
thanks, please don't comment on my culinary skills if u don't have a recipe for me
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by Alert(f): 3:28pm On Aug 07, 2007
PLEASE, help out here.I need those recipes to impress my man.
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by Soundmind(m): 2:15pm On Aug 30, 2007
Is like ur boyfie is from Anambra. Kudos. I wish you good luck.
Nno ije.
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by omoge25(f): 7:51am On Sep 02, 2007
check out the recipe section, i beleive others have asked in the past.
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by zokamie: 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2010
Recipe 4 Onugbu soup:

Boil ur meat,stockfish,smoked fish with a good seasonings.

Per boil your cocoyam until it is tender so that you pound it very well 4 thickenings

Put in red oil and allow to simmer 4 20 to 30 mins.

Put in your onugbu leaves and pounded cocoyam together with all the spices used in the cooking of the soup like ogiri, grinded pepper and crayfish and allow to simmer for 10-15mins.
Put a pint of salt to taste and allow to simmer for 5mins.
Then, your Onugbu soup is ready to devour with pounded yam, fufu or semo.

Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by AdaMbaise: 1:06am On Aug 29, 2010
[b]Bitter Leaf Soup (Onugbu Soup)

Assorted meat (Beef, ox tail, shaki, cow leg, goat meat)
I medium smoked fish
I big size stock fish
Grounded Crayfish
Maggi cubes or Knorr Cubes
Onions
Grinded fresh pepper and Salt
Red Oil
Cocoyam
Freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf
Water

Cooking time:
Thoroughly wash the assorted meat in clean warm water. Put in a medium sized pot, add about a cup or two of water and two cubes of maggi seasoning or bullion cubes,onion, sliced, salt and pepper to taste, and bring to boil for about 20 minutes.
Thoroughly wash the stock fish with sponge to remove any vestige of sand gain and allow to run under plenty of tap water. The stock fish is best soaked overnight to allow it absorb water and become tender. Cut the stock fish into servable bits and add it to the boiling meat. Allow to boil for 5 – 10 minutes.
Add the washed medium smoked fish, and allow the whole mixture of assorted meat, stock fish, and smoked fish to boil for another 10minutes.
Now add about 4 cups of water into the pot of boiling meat and fish, and add about 1 or 2 tablespoonful of dried or fresh red hot pepper to taste and freshly squeezed or dried bitter leaf (3 to 4 balls of hand squeezed fresh bitter leaf, or 3 – 5 tablespoonful of dried bitter leaf. Allow to boil for 3 – 5 minutes.
At this point, add the palm oil, and already cooked and mashed cocoyam to thicken the soup. Where you can not get cocoyam a sprinkle of garri would do the same.
Add salt, and pepper to taste again, and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Your bitter leaf soup is ready to eat.  smiley wink
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by cilnwanma(f): 11:23pm On Aug 29, 2010
OFE OWERRI
Ingredient:

Ugu (pumpkin leaf)
Okazi
Dry fish
Stockfish
crayfish
Ede (cocoyam) for thickner
palm oil
seasoner(knorr cube or whichever you prefer)
Pepper
meat (whichever you prefer or whatever combination you like)

Cook the stockfish 1/2 pot of water till it softens. add to cooked meat
Meanwhile slice the ugu & okasi,
pound the ede with a little palmoil. if outside Nigeria use coco yam flour (prepare with boiling water and add palm oil)
wash and De-bone the dryfish and grind the crayfish.
As the stockfish softens, add a spoonful of palmoil (cooking spoon measure) & allow to cook for 5 minutes to allow homogeneity.
As it boils break the ede into the pot and allow for another 5 minutes. Add crayfish, salt, pepper, maggi, dryfish & seasoner and allow to cook for 10 minutes.

Add the ugu & after 2 minutes add the okazi & bring down after some seconds.

ENJOY  wink
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by cilnwanma(f): 11:40pm On Aug 29, 2010
Ofe Nsala

Ingredient 

meat
Fresh fish or smoked fish       
Yam         1 medium slice
Crayfish (ground)     2 tablespoons
Ehuru                      1 teaspoon
Uziza seeds (ground)    1/2 tea spoon
Dry pepper (ground)       1 tablespoon
Maggi cube                      2
Water                                   
Salt To taste

Method 

Season the goat meat or the chicken with onion, pepper and one maggi cube and steam till the juice dries up.
Add the water and continue cooking for another 20 minutes.
Peel the yam and cut into small pieces, then add to the boiling stock.
Allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
Remove the yam and pound to soft resilient dough.
Add the crayfish, pepper, Ehuru, ground uziza seeds and the remaining Maggi cube to the pot.
Season and steam the fresh fish and set aside.
Cut the yam dough into small balls and add to the soup to thicken the consistency.
Add the fish and stir.
Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 -10 minutes.
Add salt to taste and serve with pounded yam.

Enjoy wink wink
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by cilnwanma(f): 11:42pm On Aug 29, 2010
sorry its years late just joined
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by ugsh: 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2010
u guys make me hungry!!! smiley
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by Ivynwa(f): 11:28pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Adambaise
Your recipe is excellent, you have the Rachel Ray details to it but "Onion" is a "No, No" when cooking Bitterleaf(Onugbu soup). It has no place in Onugbu soup and should not be used to spice the meat for the soup. I love to spice meat real good, I mean a well spiced meat is very enjoyable but for Onugbu and Ora soup, a taste of onions takes away the local flavour from it. Onions can spice up meats meant for Ogbono, Okro, Egwusi etc All in all we all are free to use nature's great different foodstuffs as we like, I sometimes add Cabbage to my egwusi and even love to create my own recipes. I have created stuffs I call names like Cucumato, Cabbagito etc. Cooking is so much fun, it's really an art in its own.

@Everyone
Has anybody tried spicing the meat for an Ora soup with Uziza, Maggi or Knorr and other spices. It's so sweet-----it is the same spice(uziza) that they use on that sweet dried meat they sell up north (what do they call the meat again, kirishi or something!).
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by dejonimist(m): 5:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
Fresh Palm Oil/Snail Straight from Village farm for sale in Lagos. Office or Home delivery if required. Call 08085835828, 01-4015937. Limited stock available!
Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by mplusp(f): 12:42pm On Nov 10, 2010
Alert:

hi igbo ladies in the house especially anambra ladies.Please I need recipes for the following;
ofe nsala
ofe agwu(palm fruit)
ofe olubu(bitterleaf soup)
ofe owerri
thanks, please don't comment on my culinary skills if u don't have a recipe for me

NSALA SOUP
---------------

Ingredients
- Cat fish
- Utazi Leaves
- Yam Powder / Raw yam / Potato Puree - for thickening the soup
- Pepper, salt, crayfish
- Maggi and Ogili Okpei (if you can get this)

1. Cut the cat fish, place in a bowl and pour very hot water on it. This is to remove the sometimes slimy substance on it. This also toughens the fish so that it will not dissolve in the soup. Wash the fish and set aside.

2. Boil the yam / potato, pound to a smooth paste and set aside. If you will use yam powder, mix with water in such a way that it is a thick paste. You should prepare enough of this paste to ensure that your soupd is as thick as you want it. Nsal soup should not be too thick though. The ratio is 1 litre of water to 300g of thickner.

3. Pound / blend the pepper, crayfish, ogili okpei and utazi leaves together. Set this aside. You can use dry or fresh utazi leaves because what you need is the flavour.

4 Put the cat fish in a pot, pour a small quantity of water, up to the level of the fish and set to boil. When the fish is almost done, add the seasonings, the crayfish/pepper/utazi blend and the yam / potato paste in small lumps. Cover the pot and cook at high heat till all the yam / potato paste has dissolved. While you are waiting for the paste to dissolve, if the soup is becoming too thick, you can remove some of the undissolved lumps. Add salt to taste and your Nsala soup is done.

This is a very fast and easy recipe. You can add dry fish and beef if you want. But the catfish cannot really be replaced by any other type of fish because Nsala soup gets its taste from the catfish.

More Igbo soup recipes can be found at http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/index.html

Re: Recipes For Some Igbo Soups by naijainfogalery: 8:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
for Nigerians looking for foods in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Most Children Hate Onions? / Enugu Residents Decry Increase In Price Of Sachet Water / The Soup From Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.