Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria (8176 Views)

Top 10 Most Haunted Hotels In The World / Poll On Racial Preference For Single Ladies / Have You Ever Been Discriminated ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by aloyemeka1: 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2011
[size=14pt]Single ladies discriminated against by hotels in Nigeria[/size]

Someone sent me an email asking me to discuss this here. Apparently in quite a number of hotels in Nigeria, single girls are denied service. You can't just walk in, sit at the bar and order a drink. You will be turned down and probably turned out. There seems to be an internal policy that women must be accompanied by men to be served at its bar, restaurant or just sitting at the hotel lobby. In fact in some hotels, they won't let a single girl through the lobby without male companion except she's able to convince staff she's a guest of someone staying at the hotel. Half the time, it's quite embarrassing for the women.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-k1CIDgrsgcE/Thb095yX7QI/AAAAAAAAEuE/RxROBLlvnZ4/s400/638x342_ibis-hotel%252C-lagos-bar.jpg[/img]

The thing is, most of these hotels believe that single ladies come to their hotel to hustle men. Why else would you chose a hotel's bar, restaurant, or lobby to drink, eat or relax, they always say.

Some lady who was discriminated against is thinking of taking legal action against a hotel. Is she right to do this? I'm thinking why bother, really? But what's up with hotels not letting unaccompanied ladies into their premises? Do they have a point?

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/07/single-ladies-discriminated-against-by.html
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by BABE3: 12:01am On Jul 09, 2011
Won lo'ja ta---They don't feel like selling market.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by pleep(m): 3:30am On Jul 09, 2011
Hmm . . . This is interesting. I think it's a good thing though, why do women choose to go to a hotel bar?
It's seems a little odd doest it?

I feel like these women may be comming to "do things" with bussiness men.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:31am On Jul 09, 2011
Some lady who was discriminated against is thinking of taking legal action against a hotel

in nigeria?
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2011
It's because some prostitutes come there to find a mate.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by aloyemeka1: 11:33am On Jul 09, 2011
pleep:

Hmm . . . This is interesting. I think it's a good thing though, why do women choose to go to a hotel bar?
It's seems a little odd doest it?

I feel like these women may be comming to "do things" with bussiness men.

So women cannot go to a hotel bar?. If men can go there, why can't women be allowed to do the same? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by dempeople(m): 2:15pm On Jul 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

So women cannot go to  a hotel bar?. If men can go there, why can't women be allowed to do the same? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Because Nigeria is, among other things, a very male chauvinistic society. Doesn't make it right though!  undecided
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by pleep(m): 4:30pm On Jul 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

So women cannot go to a hotel bar?. If men can go there, why can't women be allowed to do the same? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
why does it have to be a hotel though? Why not a club ?
These women are probably prostitutes lipsrsealed
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by pleep(m): 4:31pm On Jul 09, 2011
I hear the sharaton in Abuja is filled with prositutes.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 09, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Some lady who was discriminated against is thinking of taking legal action against a hotel.

I wonder how that's going to turn out . . .in Naija.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 10, 2011
Dont blame d hotel owners,they r doin dis to protect their image.i knw quite a number of tim i hv bn in a hotel,imagine sittin at d bar drinkin and sum ladies at one corner eyeing u badly?Wat wil u tink of d hotel?
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by ak47mann(m): 2:52am On Jul 10, 2011
cos Nigeria girls don't just go to hotel for important things mostly hustling tongue tongue
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 4:11am On Jul 10, 2011
Gender equality pls
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by PoRRa1: 4:18am On Jul 10, 2011
Accepted, it is not morally wrong, but i still wonder why a woman will go to an hotel bar to drink.if she is lodged in the hotel, its a different case. but for a woman to just leave her house alone to go drink in an hotel bar, thats weird.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Kidman03(m): 5:33am On Jul 10, 2011
Reason and logic aside, why would a lady in need of a drink go to a hotel to whet her thirst? Some might have no ulterior motives but the majority usually have a well-scripted Plan B.

I should know better having worked in hotels in two continents, and I aint bragging either grin grin grin grin
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Basics007: 6:57am On Jul 10, 2011
Read the original post on Ikeji's blog a few days ago and the comments were filled with mostly attacking and castigating the hotels involved. But now on NL the comments are supporting the hotels and castigating the ladies. The inference have drawn from it is that chauvinism is rampant on NL.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by stagger: 9:02am On Jul 10, 2011
A typical visit to Sheraton Hotel in Abuja in the evenings will immediately give you a hint. You see girls everywhere, scrambling over white men and stuff like that. You even see them now hanging around in the car park. Once I met two girls leaning on my car as I was about to leave the place after a meeting, and I actually asked them what they were doing in the car park, and leaning on my vehicle doing nothing in particular.

When I see things like this, it makes my blood boil. Respectable hotels have seen this and have decided to take action. Indeed, what business does a decent lady have going to such places unaccompanied when she clearly knows what goes on in such places?
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by anthony86(m): 9:19am On Jul 10, 2011
for every action there is a reason.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Solozzo(m): 9:22am On Jul 10, 2011
Are the hotel bars male only? How about men who go to look for women in these hotels? It would be hard to stop women  going to these hotel bars without appearing discriminatory.

One way to reduce the prevalence of this is to make the bars open to lodgers only. Need to swipe your hotel key card to get access to the bar section of the hotel. Simple.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Caliente(m): 9:35am On Jul 10, 2011
Basics007:

Read the original post on Ikeji's blog a few days ago and the comments were filled with mostly attacking and castigating the hotels involved. But now on NL the comments are supporting the hotels and castigating the ladies. The inference have drawn from it is that chauvinism is rampant on NL.

[size=13pt]
The inference I have drawn from it is that Feminism is rampant on Linda Ikeji blog[/size]
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by tivta(m): 9:37am On Jul 10, 2011
Solozzo:

Are the hotel bars male only? How about men who go to look for women in these hotels? It would be hard to stop women  going to these hotel bars without appearing discriminatory.

One way to reduce the prevalence of this is to make the bars open to lodgers only. Need to swipe your hotel key card to get access to the bar section of the hotel. Simple.

Good idea but you forget that there are more girls than guys in nigeria and around the world, there fore most women who go out to hotel bars alone are looking for potential husbands or clients.
stagger:

A typical visit to Sheraton Hotel in Abuja in the evenings will immediately give you a hint. You see girls everywhere, scrambling over white men and stuff like that. You even see them now hanging around in the car park. Once I met two girls leaning on my car as I was about to leave the place after a meeting, and I actually asked them what they were doing in the car park, and leaning on my vehicle doing nothing in particular.

When I see things like this, it makes my blood boil. Respectable hotels have seen this and have decided to take action. Indeed, what business does a decent lady have going to such places unaccompanied when she clearly knows what goes on in such places?

Thats why i support this move. Its very embarassing. Imagine if you went with your wife and the girls at your car call your wife a prostitute upon arriving wont you react and cause a seen? God help us all from daughters of Eve. AMEN.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by mekay(m): 9:45am On Jul 10, 2011
What will a decent girl be doing alone in a hotel? I think the hotels are right, however even then, some of this prostitutes still find their way into the hotel bars. If you go to Hilton in Abuja you will notice that the prostitutes are not even allowed to enter the gate. But then they pay some guys to bring them in and this stuff occurs everyday.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 10:09am On Jul 10, 2011
Very good! It's so annoying to see these girls sitting in a bar from morning to night with a bottle of a small stout, monitoring the entrance for potential comstumer like the chief security officers.
Like i kind of black listed any hotel that allow such dimwitts to be hanging in their bars only to be causing confusion between couples with their numerous uninvited smiles and eye contacts.
Some of dem go even won follow you go toilet or confidently drop their phone numbers on your table after assessing your rate of spending. I think they should be jailed.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by N101: 10:13am On Jul 10, 2011
@ tivta - you need to update your thinking. Even if there are more women than men in Nigeria (even then this is guesswork), statistically men outnumber women globally.

I wonder where else will women go to have a drink unhindered - a beer parlour?  Even if I knew this to be the case, I would go to have a drink with a friend. But then I'm sure it doesn't matter if it were 1 or 10, they would all be seen as potential prostitutes.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 10, 2011
The problem is that you can not easily identify the hustlers/hookers from the decent girls.Hustlers that patronise these big hotels are as well dressed,if not better dressed than the decent girls:Hence the policy of the hotels not to admit un accompanied ladies into their premises.Hotels that do not implement such policies will live to regret it because the love hawkers will descend on the hotel and give it a bad  name.
Few years ago I was at an hotel in Lagos,and as I attempted to drive into the premises,at least 20 girls descended on my car at the gate of the hotel,they were tapping on my car windows and pulling on my door handle,in fact they almost yanked off one off the door handles,while shouting:"Naa me he want!"
It was crazy.
Moral of the story:Any hotel that wants to maintain its standard does not allow unaccompanied single girls near its premises.Simple!
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by tivta(m): 11:00am On Jul 10, 2011
N101:

@ tivta - you need to update your thinking. Even if there are more women than men in Nigeria (even then this is guesswork), statistically men outnumber women globally.

I wonder where else will women go to have a drink unhindered - a beer parlour? Even if I knew this to be the case, I would go to have a drink with a friend. But then I'm sure it doesn't matter if it were 1 or 10, they would all be seen as potential LovePeddlers.

Just check the last National population censors(Even with the high level of corruption) and you will discover am right. How do you also explain the high rate of single ladies in the country? Dont let your love of women blind you to common facts(I too love women but am not blind) Majority carries the vote in democracy.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by tivta(m): 11:10am On Jul 10, 2011
N101:

I wonder where else will women go to have a drink unhindered - a beer parlour? Even if I knew this to be the case, I would go to have a drink with a friend. But then I'm sure it doesn't matter if it were 1 or 10, they would all be seen as potential LovePeddlers.

Besides women are not know for hanging out at hotels ALONE to drink. If they wish to drink they most often than not hang out with female friends at least. Even rich women dont hangout at hotels, they prefer resturants so as to eat and chill. This is common with girls around the world(Fact) if girls really want to 'chill' they hangout at clubs and not hotels. I believe you dont support this cause its the only way you meet women. Why not try church, eatery or even if you want shorttime the best place is the club and not hotel. Nuff said.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 11:16am On Jul 10, 2011
dont forget that it is their hotels they can let who ever they want in and throw out who ever they want out! even if it is a woman!
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 11:25am On Jul 10, 2011
oti-igba:

dont forget that it is their hotels they can let who ever they want in and throw out who ever they want out! even if it is a woman!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by MAURI: 11:41am On Jul 10, 2011
Not when it can be proven that they are perpetuating discrimination based on sex! That is outright discrimination and it's unlawful!
When we come to Oyinbo land, and we get discriminated based on colour, we will be the first to cry foul!!!  I do not see any difference in this with other forms of discrimination, I stand to be corrected o.
, And by the way, why aren't the men patronising the suspected ladies, addressed for "soliciting" if they are doing so in a place not designated for such.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 10, 2011
Honestly, I support the hotels in this case. Unless you've seen it, the levels those ashawo and aristo babes go to snare their next victim / customer will seem like a movie script to you. The hotels stand lose more as their respectable clients will simply take their business elsewhere.
Re: Single Ladies Discriminated Against By Hotels In Nigeria by BetaThings: 11:56am On Jul 10, 2011
MAURI:

Not when it can be proven that they are perpetuating discrimination based on sex! That is outright discrimination and it's unlawful!
When we come to Oyinbo land, and we get discriminated based on colour, we will be the first to cry foul!!!  I do not see any difference in this with other forms of discrimination, I stand to be corrected o.
, And by the way, why aren't the men patronising the suspected ladies, addressed for "soliciting" if they are doing so in a place not designated for such.
This discrimination excuse is getting out of hand. Very soon, I cannot stop anybody I don't like from coming to my house. What if it is my own way of segmenting my market in the business I do.
What is Oyinbo man discriminating against me for - Hotel? I will stay at home. Just give me a job. You can discriminate as you like in other areas

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Traditional Rulers Are United – Ooni / A Yoruba Name For A Girl / What Is Eyo Festival All About?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.