Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh (868 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh by loabb(m): 12:42am On Jul 09, 2011
Former Super Eagles captain, Sunday Oliseh, believes Nigeria would have got better results from Rashidi Yekini at USA ‘94 FIFA World Cup and the team could have done better but for the deep-rooted division in the Nigerian team.

He told SuperSport.com that “the only reason I am saying this is for the future and for the country, for people to learn and because I feel that honour has not been given to Yekini like it should…some players had scores to settle with Yekini and all that.”

So many people have always wondered why Yekini would celebrate alone after scoring Nigeria’s first ever goal in the FIFA World Cup when he opened scoring against Bulgaria on that hot afternoon in Dallas. It was a sweeping move began by Oliseh who won the ball deep in Nigeria’s half. His quick change of pace and precision passing to Daniel Amokachi, who brilliantly guided the ball down the right flank to Finidi George .

The winger would explode down the flank and would pick out Yekini for the simple tap in, score and the stadium erupts into a sea of green and white and joyous chants of Nigeria.

The world would watch in amazement as Yekini rushed into the net and alone, all, all alone like that famous line from the rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. He would chant, scream all by himself, an image that personified the legendary goalscorer supreme and one of the defining moments of USA ‘94. No one came to meet him.

“Yekini had some beef with some players because I was in the background, I was watching everybody and I know those who were involved,” he said.

“Some of our players were madly, sickly, mentally jealous the moment Yekini was honoured. He was leaving for Panathinaikos, and there was some jealousy there. Yekini himself was not smart enough to calm things down.”

Oliseh believes Yekini was special. “Which other striker do we have in the history of Nigeria, who strikes 30-metre shots? If Yekini can count the number of goals at the highest level, it will be over a hundred… of all the strikers we talk about in Nigeria, which other striker?” he asked.
Re: Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh by semid4lyfe(m): 2:28am On Jul 09, 2011

The world would watch in amazement as Yekini rushed into the net and alone, all, all alone like that famous line from the rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. He would chant, scream all by himself, an image that personified the legendary goalscorer supreme and one of the defining moments of USA ‘94. No one came to meet him.

“Yekini had some beef with some players because I was in the background, I was watching everybody and I know those who were involved,” he said.

“Some of our players were madly, sickly, mentally jealous the moment Yekini was honoured. He was leaving for Panathinaikos, and there was some jealousy there. Yekini himself was not smart enough to calm things down.”

Is this supposed to be breaking news? undecided
Re: Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh by omodapson(m): 1:07pm On Jul 09, 2011
Mercy after death. smh
Re: Why Eagles Ganged Up Against Yekini—oliseh by ikennahill: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2011
Oliseh na one of the eagles problem too 17yrs after ,you are talking.this is old news,we know about this even in 1994

(1) (Reply)

Big Opportunity To Play Football In Europe / Osaze Drives To Qpr's Loftus Road Without WBA Permission / Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL): Super4 Returns!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.