Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" (3866 Views)

Banks Non-interest Income Suffers As COT Removal Begins New Year / Non-Interest Banking: The Biblical Perspective / Questions On Non-Interest Banking For Mallam Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by sammyzacks(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2011
Excerpts from interview with CAN president Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor :

First, I want to begin by saying, I like Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In my own opinion, he’s one of the people you can look at in this country and say, this is a man that has what it takes to articulate what he believes; whether it’s right or wrong, good or bad. So, for that, I admire him. We are not against Muslims.

Muslims are our brothers and Sisters. Nigeria is a nation that has both Muslims and Christians. It doesn’t matter what we say, Muslims will always be here. It doesn’t matter what Muslims think, Christians will always be here.

The problem is this; what the original CBN Act or whatever it was it says, was non-interest banking. The original thing was just non-interest banking. Islamic banking is just one kind among many other kinds of non-interest banking. So, why would CBN, an organization, an institution that represents the Federal Government, that is an institution that represents all Nigeria zero in on only one kind of non-interest banking. This is the problem with Sanusi and his idea.

In education, there’s only one set of guideline for those who want to establish schools. The Ministry of Education or any other institution charged with the responsibility in Nigeria will not come out with Islamic guideline, Christian guideline, or native doctor guideline. It’s only one basic, level playing field guideline for education. You want to start a school, you take the guideline to go and start. We have Islamic universities in Nigeria. We have Christian universities. Do they have different guidelines? They all have the same guidelines. This is what we are saying.

Now, the guidelines for non-interest banking has been changed two or three times. Why is Sanusi changing it? It’s because he is discovering his mistakes. But he doesn’t want to own up to it. What he’s doing is that he twists it a little bit here, twists it a little bit there. Now, the latest guideline came out on the June 21. If you study it, it says, Islamic banking, number one. Then number two-other non-interest banking. That to us is discriminating—discriminating against non-Muslims.Why would you put Islamic banking on one side, all other non-interest banking on one side?

What makes Islamic banking special or more special? What makes it different from other non-interest banking? So, these are the issues. Also, if you keep looking closer, you discover that even the Islamic banking itself is not quite very clear. Now before I come to that, they have a conference going on now in Abuja (the conference opened on Monday). Why have an Islamic banking conference? Why not have a non-interest banking conference? This is what we are saying.

CBN has no business promoting a special, specific, religious kind of banking. CBN should be promoting non-interest banking. And everyone who is interested in non-interest banking should be invited to a non-interest banking seminar or conference. So, are you seeing the problem we are looking at here?

Now, a lot of money has been spent promoting Islamic banking. Why? It’s wrong. It’s unfair to spend all that money-government’s money on a sectional kind of banking. It is those who want to start Islamic bank that have the responsibility to spend that kind of money and do whatever they want to do to promote their bank. Why should you, as CBN governor of Nigeria, be promoting that sectional banking? Is he telling us now that when Christians start their own, he’d go through all these? I have been told by a reliable source that he has employed a lot of people specifically to run and promote Islamic banking. How do you do that with state money? You have no right to that.

Now, let us look at Islamic banking itself,he’s told us there will be no discrimination. Okay? He has also told us that Islamic banking is governed by Sharia principles, which means if I am a piggery farmer, and I go to Islamic bank and say I need a loan, would they give me? The answer is no. So, how can you now say that they are not discriminating? They’re discriminating. It’s obvious.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/we-don%E2%80%99t-want-islamic-banking/
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by PapaBrowne(m): 11:47am On Jul 09, 2011
What do you expect from a CBN Governor whose only post graduate degree is a Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from a Sudanese University!
As someone rightly stated, the CBN Governor recieved training in Sudan in 1991 the same year as Osama Bin Laden.
Then there was a request for the opening of a Sharia bank named  Al Qaeda Bank!!!
Then again, the CBN governors best friend, Mutallab's son was involved in a global terrorist act!!

The man has got to be some kind of terrorist!! grin grin
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by AlabaSlim: 1:04pm On Jul 09, 2011
I hope non muslims r cin d plans of dis terrorist boko LAMIDOBIN LADIN SANUHARI
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by naijaking1: 1:55pm On Jul 09, 2011
PapaBrowne:

What do you expect from a CBN Governor whose only post graduate degree is a Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from a Sudanese University!
As someone rightly stated, the CBN Governor recieved training in Sudan in 1991 the same year as Osama Bin Laden.
Then there was a request for the opening of a Sharia bank named Al Qaeda Bank!!!
Then again, the CBN governors best friend, Mutallab's son was involved in a global terrorist act!!

Mutallab was Sanusi's mentor who personally took him to President Yar'dua and swore about his credibility for the CBN job.
Mutallab was chairman of First Bank for many years, and facilitate Sanusi's ascent into the managing director position at a time he wasn't the best qualified for that position.
Mutallab is associated with Jaiz Bank which likely has transformed form Al Qaeda Bank over the years.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by nduchucks: 2:17pm On Jul 09, 2011
@PapaBrowne & naijaking1: You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for attempting to assasinate the characters of Sanuni and Muttalab with irresponsible conjecture based on bigoted biases.  You people should be decent enough to acknowledge that Muttalab reported his own son to US authorities - is this act typical of a terrorist?

una don fall my hand today.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by naijaking1: 2:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@PapaBrowne & naijaking1: You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for attempting to assasinate the characters of Sanuni and Muttalab with irresponsible conjecture based on bigoted biases. You people should be decent enough to acknowledge that Muttalab reported his own son to US authorities - is this act typical of a terrorist?

Mallam, just challenge the facts, because name-calling wouldn't win the debate for you.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by nduchucks: 2:36pm On Jul 09, 2011
naijaking1:

(1)Mutallab was Sanusi's mentor who personally took him to President Yar'dua and swore about his credibility for the CBN job.
(2)Mutallab was chairman of First Bank for many years, and facilitate Sanusi's ascent into the managing director position at a time he wasn't the best qualified for that position.
(3)Mutallab is associated with Jaiz Bank which likely has transformed form Al Qaeda Bank over the years.

ngwannu, Your point (1) above may be factual, but so what? It does not make Sanusi or Mattalab Sr. a terrorist.

Point (2) only shows that Mutallab saw in Sanusi what people like you did not. Sanusi was successful beyond most people's expectations as the head of First Bank. His success there was a major factor in his nomination for the CBN job. Here again, your conjecture does not make Sanusi or Muttalab Sr. a terrorist. Poiny (3) proves nothing just like the other points you made.

Please indulge me and name any positive thing about Islam, I already know you can find quite a few negatives.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by macjive01: 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Then there was a request for the opening of a Sharia bank named  Al Qaeda Bank!!!

dude is not a laughing matter, it is really awakening !

SANUSI's post graduate degree is a Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from a Sudanese University!

SANUSI recieved training in Sudan in 1991 the same year as Osama Bin Laden

SANUSI's best friend is Mutallab, who is the chairman of the licensed Islamic bank, whose son is a renowned and illustrious Global Jihadist and  Al Qaeda  TERRORIST
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by naijaking1: 3:39pm On Jul 09, 2011
ndu_chucks:

ngwannu, Your point (1) above may be factual, but so what? It does not make Sanusi or Mattalab Sr. a terrorist.

Point (2) only shows that Mutallab saw in Sanusi what people like you did not. Sanusi was successful beyond most people's expectations as the head of First Bank. His success there was a major factor in his nomination for the CBN job. Here again, your conjecture does not make Sanusi or Muttalab Sr. a terrorist. Poiny (3) proves nothing just like the other points you made.

Please indulge me and name any positive thing about Islam, I already know you can find quite a few negatives.

How successful was Sanusi at First Bank?
Islam as a world religion has some positives, but in northern Nigeria, its negative interpretations far outweigh any recognizable positive.

macjive01:

dude is not a laughing matter, it is really awakening !

SANUSI's post graduate degree is a Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from a Sudanese University!

SANUSI recieved training in Sudan in 1991 the same year as Osama Bin Laden

SANUSI's best friend is Mutallab, who is the chairman of the licensed Islamic bank, whose son is a renowned and illustrious Global Jihadist and Al Qaeda TERRORIST

All these associations qualify Sanusi Lamido Sanusi to be on U.S terrorist watch list.
We pray that God will make it possible for him to be placed on the list, so that his World wide media travels and circus shows will be OVER.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by hercules07: 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2011
All these Akingbola and ibru agents on Nairaland, you guys can shout from now till tomorrow, Islamic banks are here to stay.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by PapaBrowne(m): 10:47pm On Jul 09, 2011
hercules07:

All these Akingbola and ibru agents on Nairaland, you guys can shout from now till tomorrow, Islamic banks are here to stay.

They haven't even come and you say they are here to stay!! They will pass away just like Sharia law did in Northern Nigeria.

I really don't have a problem with Islamic banking, but as long as it is propagated by this suspected terrorist called Sanusi, it will not see the light of day!!
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by ektbear: 10:54pm On Jul 09, 2011
Hrm. So why was he acting as if Soludo and this John Sanusi were the ones who initiated Islamic banking?

Speaking of which, why is this coward Soludo so silent on the matter?
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by dempeople(m): 11:00pm On Jul 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm. So why was he acting as if Soludo and this John Sanusi were the ones who initiated Islamic banking?

Please, what exactly makes him a coward?
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by ektbear: 11:03pm On Jul 09, 2011
Did Sanusi not invoke his name in justifying why Islamic banking should be continued? Didn't he market it as the completion of something Soludo initiated?

If you agree with the above, and it turns out that Sanusi falsely characterized it as something Soludo also did, then why isn't Soludo speaking up? Is this not cowardice?
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by macjive01: 11:06pm On Jul 09, 2011
soludo initiated non-interest banking and NOT ISLAMIC BANK!!!
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by aljharem3: 11:11pm On Jul 09, 2011
really i feel sad when i see things like

"Sabusi is a graduate from islamic studies " etc

what is wrong in that angry angry angry angry

or do people not study again in CRS etc

so why is Sanusi different
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by dempeople(m): 11:12pm On Jul 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Did Sanusi not invoke his name in justifying why Islamic banking should be continued? Didn't he market it as the completion of something Soludo initiated?

If you agree with the above, and it turns out that Sanusi falsely characterized it as something Soludo also did, then why isn't Soludo speaking up? Is this not cowardice?

No worries. I'll personally ask him tomorrow.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by naijaking1: 1:58am On Jul 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are you joking
When Sanusi was bastardizing Soludo's name as encouraging, hobb-nobbying, and enabling the "corrupt" CEOs Soludo kept quiet, when he accussed Soludo of corruption in printing the currency, Soludo kept quiet, and now that Sanusi is mis-interpreting one of Soludo's policies, you want Soludo to speak up in Sanusi's defence
I beg go get your head checked undecided
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by naijaking1: 2:17am On Jul 10, 2011
alj_harem:

really i feel sad when i see things like

"Sabusi is a graduate from islamic studies " etc

what is wrong in that angry angry angry angry

or do people not study again in CRS etc

so why is Sanusi different

Alh. with all due respect to those who have advanced degrees in Islamic or even Christian religious studies, the job of CBN governor is not for you, because it's very technical and very "economic technically" oriented.

World class economist would agree that a basic BS in economics is just a beginner in the field, so you need a small advancement in the field to understand what's going on better. That advanced field is not Islamic studies. When discussions in economics reach certain levels of complexity, our CBN governor will simply get lost.

How does he make up for his deficiency? Well, by mounting circus shows of quasi-economic, social, religious, and even political issues all around town.
When you're a carpenter, every stick resembles a hammer, and when you're a surgeon, every nodule seems to be begging to be surgically removed, and when you're an Islamic scholar, every policy about non-interest banking has Sharia Islamic banking written all over it.
You see cheesy
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by ektbear: 7:31am On Jul 10, 2011
naijaking1:

Alh. with all due respect to those who have advanced degrees in Islamic or even Christian religious studies, the job of CBN governor is not for you, because it's very technical and very "economic technically" oriented.

World class economist would agree that a basic BS in economics is just a beginner in the field, so you need a small advancement in the field to understand what's going on better. That advanced field is not Islamic studies. When discussions in economics reach certain levels of complexity, our CBN governor will simply get lost.

How does he make up for his deficiency? Well, by mounting circus shows of quasi-economic, social, religious, and even political issues all around town.
When you're a carpenter, every stick resembles a hammer, and when you're a surgeon, every nodule seems to be begging to be surgically removed, and when you're an Islamic scholar, every policy about non-interest banking has Sharia Islamic banking written all over it.
You see cheesy

Well said. Compare Ben Bernanke's resume to Sanusi's, just to give you a sense of how much more depth other countries require for this position
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by jamace(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2011
I am happy that CAN, as a body, has done their homework and made their stand very clear on the issue.

Let's see the direction that the fed govt will take.

Watching.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by ektbear: 6:07pm On Jul 10, 2011
@dem_people: So what did he say?
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by nogames: 1:20am On Jul 11, 2011
My candid advise to Nigeria Christians. If its confirmed that IBTC bank is the first bank to apply for Islamic banking license. All Christians should sell their shares and CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT WITH IBTC BANK. to serve as warning to other Banks, So they want to use fund deposited both Muslims and Christians to fund Islamic banks never
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by umechuma: 1:34am On Jul 11, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@PapaBrowne & naijaking1: You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for attempting to assasinate the characters of Sanuni and Muttalab with irresponsible conjecture based on bigoted biases.  You people should be decent enough to acknowledge that Muttalab reported his own son to US authorities - is this act typical of a terrorist?

With proper investigation Muttalab maybe a financier of Boko Haram and have more infromation about them.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by lastpage: 2:30am On Jul 11, 2011
@nogames
My candid advise to Nigeria Christians. If its confirmed that IBTC bank is the first bank to apply for Islamic banking license. All Christians should sell their shares and CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT WITH IBTC BANK. to serve as warning to other Banks, So they want to use fund deposited both Muslims and Christians to fund Islamic banks never

Try harder next time, People Christians are too smart for this kind of "game" you're playing!

Waiting for your next SCAM! shocked shocked wink grin
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by bizpreneur(m): 5:07am On Jul 11, 2011
PapaBrowne:

They haven't even come and you say they are here to stay!! They will pass away just like Sharia law did in Northern Nigeria.

I really don't have a problem with Islamic banking, but as long as it is propagated by this suspected terrorist called Sanusi, it will not see the light of day!!
,U ppl shld betr watch ur tongs &alwys b objectv in all ur claims.wht mad hm a terrorst-ar u nt part of d same ppl &
d world over dat has been shwrng apraisals,acolades&comendatn on d same ecnomics nd banking DON 4 D laudable efforts/regulatns he made in ds partculr sectr of d econmy(BANKNG)
jst @ d start of hs tenure as CBN gov& U PPL sleepng then?is it because he has jst rvisit&reoponed what was already intiated by d den christain gov &latr OKed by an x-christain minstr-Ng.Okonj. Iweala),betr submit 2 ALMGHTY's will. like it or hate it has 4 sur com 2 stay,SHINE ur eyeees, wake up frm ur slumbr!
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by member479760: 8:16am On Jul 11, 2011
Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from a Sudanese University!

and he is a CBN governor in nigeria that is full and over-full of prof of econs with international wards.

GEJ let him GO.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by joecrack(m): 8:41am On Jul 11, 2011
SLS has definitely got some amorous agenda he is pursuing,
remember how months before he became CBN chief we read in newspapers of plans to axe some bank CEO's,two months after getting the job,the guy actually hacked them.
Hmm,nigerians shine your eyes and wise up oh.
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by Sparks026(m): 10:03am On Jul 11, 2011
In as much as the federal government constitution remains, and the CBN acts sustains it policy of Nigeria law not sharia law, Then anything short of non-interest banking with ISLAM, SHARIA, TERROSIST, Introduced, can not work. Thank GOD Christain Association of Nigeria (CAN) has made it clear of its stand. We (Christains) dont want Islamic banking whatever, PERIOD!In as much as the federal government constitution remains, and the CBN acts sustains it policy of Nigeria law not sharia law, Then anything short of non-interest banking with ISLAM, SHARIA, TERROSIST, Introduced, can not work. Thank GOD Christain Association of Nigeria (CAN) has made it clear of its stand. We (Christains) dont want Islamic banking whatever, PERIOD!
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by phreakabit(m): 10:39am On Jul 11, 2011
Alaba_Slim:

I hope non muslims r cin d plans of dis terrorist boko LAMIDOBIN LADIN SANUHARI

Bro na you just get am finish!
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 11, 2011
[size=15pt]It's unfortunate our CBN Governor is also participating in propagating Nigeria's division along religious lines.[/size]
Re: The Original CBN Act Says "Non-Interest Banking" Not "Islamic Banking" by jou: 11:04am On Jul 11, 2011
Sausi cannot be said to have done creditably well when he was at the helms of affair at the bank, let us not forget that he starte d off in First bank as the head of risk management which recorded a bad debt profile of N=200 billion and he turned a blind eye to this mess as the CBN governor. why?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Money Making Machine Uncovered,make Over 30% Profit Monthly Doing Nothing / How To Make Money With Content Locking / Good Business Ideas 4 Mechanical Engineer Contractor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.