Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! (7063 Views)

How Can I Write An Attractive CV As A Fresh Graduate? / I Almost Rounding Off Myservice,i Want To Write An Attractive Cv,i Need Help / Format Of A Nigerian Resume (CV) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by sure4live(m): 11:15pm On Jul 09, 2011
what are the tips to writing an attractive resume.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by sure4live(m): 9:01am On Jul 10, 2011
pls contribute. ur opinion will be very helpful 2 as many dat will be reading dis post.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by sure4live(m): 9:07am On Jul 10, 2011
pls contribute. ur opinion will be very helpful 2 as many dat will be reading dis post.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by denzel2009: 9:57am On Jul 10, 2011
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by sanath123: 11:48am On Sep 26, 2011
If you are looking for a query on How to write a resume. Then you can visit this site for more details on How to write a resume.Then you can visit this site for more details on How to write a resume using our own resume builder.And it also provides a free resume templates samples for all resume category.This feature is best for a freshers who don't have an idea about How to write a resume.
        For more information you can also visit this site:-
http://www.resumeplus.net

1 Like

Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by Godmother(f): 8:17pm On Sep 26, 2011
This might help,

11,Bolade Ajala Street,

Cele Express,

Lagos-Nigeria.

17th November, 2010.

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: PROGRAMME OFFICER APPLICATION 2010

In response to the advertisement on the career website www. nigeriacentre .com in November, 2011, please find attached a copy of my CV for the position of a Programme Officer Assistant in your organisation.

I am a young, energetic, goal-oriented,resourceful and hardworking teamplayer working with my initiative and team to achieve company's objectives. I possess excellent interpersonal skills and I am well-versed in the use of microsoft packages.

I graduated from Delta State University with a degree in Business Administration, a member of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM).I also possess a Diploma in Computer Appreciations.

As a former Client Service Personnel, I met with diverse people with different characteristics. I was able to interact with them and meet their needs, thereby making my company happy.
[size=8pt]

Please view my CV for other relevant details you may require . I am sure you will find my qualifications and qualities beneficial to your company. I, therefore, look forward to joining your widely acclaimed and customer-friendly organisation.

Yours faithfully,
[/size]
your name

Dont forget to personalize it by changing things like your school, address, previous place of employment and so on
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by dipo1: 7:33pm On Oct 12, 2011
^^

So you want him to copy the letter (and its not even a resume) word for word and only edit his personal information?

If he cannot write up his own letter of application, he is not fit for a graduate job
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by somee1(f): 10:08pm On Oct 16, 2011
lmao @ dipo! #harshmuch,
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by Naijajobs01(m): 1:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
Learn how to write an effective resume @ http://www.effectiveresume.tk
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by saheed2002: 12:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
Hello, my name is saheed olatinwo. And i felt your concerned about your topic posted above.
to save time and you don't mind, so as to give you the material tips concerning the topic,
With every detailss you want to know about it. okay?!

you can call me on :08082182526.
so don't worry!!!, hum?
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by vic4vi(m): 9:14am On Oct 21, 2011
Godmother:

This might help,

11,Bolade Ajala Street,

Cele Express,

Lagos-Nigeria.

17th November, 2010.

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: PROGRAMME OFFICER APPLICATION 2010

In response to the advertisement on the career website www. nigeriacentre .com in November, 2011, please find attached a copy of my CV for the position of a Programme Officer Assistant in your organisation.

I am a young, energetic, goal-oriented,resourceful and hardworking teamplayer working with my initiative and team to achieve company's objectives. I possess excellent interpersonal skills and I am well-versed in the use of microsoft packages.

I graduated from Delta State University with a degree in Business Administration, a member of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM).I also possess a Diploma in Computer Appreciations.

As a former Client Service Personnel, I met with diverse people with different characteristics. I was able to interact with them and meet their needs, thereby making my company happy.
[size=8pt]

Please view my CV for other relevant details you may require . I am sure you will find my qualifications and qualities beneficial to your company. I, therefore, look forward to joining your widely acclaimed and customer-friendly organisation.

Yours faithfully,
[/size]
your name

Dont forget to personalize it by changing things like your school, address, previous place of employment and so on
This is Cover letter and not resume
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by rocean: 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
thanks alot
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by jessiep: 2:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
It is hard to write a really really good resume, and I wanted mine to be perfect so I went to http://www.cv-shop.com/ and they helped me a lot, very good company, give them a try.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by geepawps(m): 11:19pm On Oct 27, 2011
The best way to go about write a good resume is to google it or use any other search engine.The reason I am suggesting this is so that you don't get left behind,you will be able to get the latest informations on how to write a good one.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by 4matic: 4:55pm On Oct 30, 2011
ARE YOU A CORPER OR A JOB SEEKER
NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO TO EASILY GET THE JOB OF YOUR CHOICE

YOU WILL BE SO GOOD THAT
EMPLOYERS OF LABOUR WILL BE FALLING OVER THEMSELVE TO OFFER YOU FANTASTICS EXECUYIVE JOBS
THIS IS 100% GAURANTEED. DONT DOUBT

GET THE COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL CONTAINING THE GREATEST EXECUTIVE JOB-FINDING
SECRETS AND AUTHENTIC SOURCES OF INSTANT JOBS ALMOST FOR FREE. DONT MISS THIS
GOLDEN OPPURTUNITY
IF YOU NEED THE EBOOK CONTACT ME AT, FRANKY2SYSTEM@YAHOO.COM
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by geepawps(m): 3:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
To write a good resume in Nigeria you need to know the mind of these recruiters i.e. Knowing what they look out for in a resume.
I recently updated my CV few days ago in 2011 with the help of a book by someone who runs a recruiting firm here in Nigeria .
There are lots of books out there that you can also make use of and write a killer CV. Best of luck.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by Gword: 1:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
sure4live:

what are the tips to writing an attractive resume.

First what is a resume?

What is it purpose? If you answer those then you have your answer.

Anyway here is a report that I use for writing mine, not just attractive but  always effective.

Download it for free and solve this problem.
http://careerplusonline.net/LRMBootcamp.pdf

You don't need any other.

If you need a sample ask  - and you get one.

Problem solved.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by chimuchi(f): 1:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
I saw some good tips on afternysc maybe you should try them too if
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by geepawps(m): 8:34pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice job Vic4vi, but I want to disagree a bit with the cover letter that you've shared.
Cover letter is where you share additional information that are not on your CV, I don't think you need to put where you graduated from on your cover letter since you already have that in your CV.
Simply add what you don't have on your CV in your cover letter or some of the requirements in the job advert.
Best wishes.
www.internetinvestmentideas.com
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by sanath123: 12:11pm On Mar 14, 2012
I think you are looking for How to write a attractive resume then you can visit this site which will gives an idea about How to write a resume in a professional & in standard format. As most companies prefer this format, So you must include all standard points that are required while creating a resume & also you must take care while creating a resume. Also most of the chances for getting selection in a company depends upon your resume only. Because Resume gives a quick snapshot about your educational qualification & employment job history. So Resume is important & it must be in a professional & in standard format.
So,For more information about How to make a resume you can visit this site(link):-

How to make a resume.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by MisterMan(m): 5:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
This is a pretty old thread that I just stumbled on. This is the sort of thread that doesn’t get many responses because not too many people know the know-how of it. Before I delve into the subject matter, I just want us to know that there are 3 basic resume formats: Chronological, Functional and Combo: the combination of the features of the first two. Each of the first two has their advantages and disadvantages, so what the combo does is to combine the advantages of the two, though at the end of the day, it has its own disadvantages. When the OP talks about attractive (though I prefer the word effective), I presume s\he was talking about chronological resume which is by far the commonest, and in my view, the easiest to read.
In chronological resume, there are some subtle differences in the arrangement for the young and experienced applicants. The inexperienced are relying on their education, whereas the experienced are relying on the experience they have gathered over the years. For the young in the job market, here is the right flow of thought:
Objective
Career Summary
Core Skills
Soft Skills
Class
Courses taken
Institutions Attended
Work Experience
Others
Note that for the inexperienced applicant, class obtained, courses taken at school comes before work experience. Why? The applicant is relying more on his\her training in school rather than experience, which is virtually none. For experienced applicant, it should be ordered in this format:
Objective
Career Summary
Work Experience
School Attended
Others
In the second place, s\he is relying more on experience rather than what was taught. Note that things like courses taken should not be included for the experienced.
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by MisterMan(m): 5:51pm On Nov 09, 2013
Another important fact: to really write an effective resume, you should personalize as much as possible. This means if you are applying for 5 different positions, you should have five slightly different resumes. This is not as difficult as it seems because of MS-Word and other powerful word processors around. The more of it you do the more adept you become as it is in most things.
To make things clearer, let us look at a job opening. This is an actual job opening that I got when I went to Jobberman, so as to illustrate
A reputable insurance company (Aiico Insurance Plc) requires applicants to fill the vacant position in its Lagos Office
Responsibilities:
•Communicate the strategic plan in regard to business expansion, acquisition and marketing.
•Responsible for creating business opportunities and develop business plans to achieve goals
•The officer sets goals for attracting new business, and guides the development staff in the area of product research and development.
•Formulate focus group research and testing to determine how new product/services will be received.
•Delegate and communicate the goals and objectives of the organization pertaining to business development.
•Build employee confidence and morale by being knowledgeable in all areas of business development.
Qualifications and Requirements:
•Must possess good communication skill to work with public
•Must be outgoing, friendly, enthusiastic, vibrant and financially motivated.
•OND, HND and BSC in any discipline.
Lets look at how a typical resume will look like:
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by MisterMan(m): 5:56pm On Nov 09, 2013
Objective: A full-time position as Business Development Executive where my educational background, my skills and abilities can be used to realize the mission and vision of the company
Career Summary A young, hard-working, focused and intelligent graduate. Worked as a form teacher, was also the Accounting and Economics teacher during the service year where I had the opportunity to mentor and coach the students and had 99% success rate in the external exam, up from 62%.
Attributes Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, outgoing, friendly, good communication skill, team player, enthusiastic, good interpersonal skills, and vibrant
Class First Class
Education And Certificate 2013 National Youth Service Corps
2012 University of Abuja, Abuja B. Sc. (Hons) Accountancy
2008 Premier College, Abuja West African School Certificate
2005 FCT Primary School, Junior NECO

Work Experience Accounts Teacher
Taught Accounts and Economics. Served as form teacher.
• Involved in teaching Economics & Accounts. Success rate was about 98% compared to about 48%. The Principal commended me for the outstanding result
• Mentored the students. Was able to motivate and let them belief in themselves and inculcated the virtue of hard work, honesty and integrity
Referees Prof. Mohammed Adeleke Okechukwu
HOD, Accounting Department
University of Abuja
Abuja
Mrs Zainab Adetutu Chigozie
PriceWaterHouse Accouting Firm
Abuja
Dr. AllWell
The Presisidency
Abuja
Here you include other things such as awards (mention what the award is if you can (or just ‘for outstanding performance’. If the award is related to academic performance, put this under Education section. Hobbies etc. are also included here.

NOTE: I coudn't format this to my satisfaction. We have provided the same in MS-Word. Please check our website to see the same document better formatted in MS-Word
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by MisterMan(m): 5:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
There are some things we want you to note. The ad says the candidate must possess good communication skill to work with public, must be outgoing, friendly, enthusiastic, vibrant and financially motivated. Look at what he wrote as his attributes:
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, outgoing, friendly, good communication skill, team player, enthusiastic, good interpersonal skills, and vibrant. Try as much as possible to include the attributes the company is looking for. This is a case, as the Yoruba people would say: 2 ge 4 or ‘eni to feku pade eni to ma pa’. you are saying, in essence that you possess the attributes the company wants. Remember you are advertising yourself. If a company says they want people who sleep very well, know how to eat stone, tell them that your best food is granite and you can sleep for a century at a stretch.
Specifying the class will really boost his chances, so he has rightfully included it.
Note that he did not bother to specify the course he took in school. Specifying that has no advantage whatsoever.
It is our intention to write, if time permits, a resume for experienced applicant. How ever, let’s take a look at another resume that this applicant might write. Here is the job description:

A school requires a qualified candidate to fill this vacant position:

Responsibilities:
Plan lessons in line with national objectives
Prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes of different ages and abilities
Observe and record the progress of their class
Keep up to date with developments in their area, new resources, methods and national objective
Other duties assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
Minimum of NCE in a relevant field
0-1 year experience
Applicants should reside preferably within Ikorodu
Re: How To Write An Attractive Resume(need Help Pls)! by MisterMan(m): 5:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Objective Seeking a position of Accountant where my can-do attitude and willingness to go the extra mile to boost the school’s bottom line will be appreciated.
Career Summary A young, hard-working, focused and intelligent graduate. Worked as a form teacher, was also the Accounting and Economics teacher during the service year where I had the opportunity to mentor and coach the students and had 99% success rate in the external exam, up from 62%.
Skills Database Management, Monthly Forecasting, Domestic & International Cash Flow, Forecasting/Trend Projection, Investment Strategies, Knowledge of Peachtree Accounting & Microsoft Money
Attributes Focused, goal-oriented, excellent analytical abilities, numerate and trust-worthy
Course Work Macroeconomics and International Finance, Microeconomics, Introduction to Financial Econometrics, Financial Markets and Risk Management, Principles of Business Law, Introduction to Taxation, Auditing and Assurance, Corporate Financial Reporting, Management Accounting, Corporate Finance, People, Management and Organisations, Introduction to Management Accounting
Class First Class
Education And Certificate 2013 National Youth Service Corps
2012 University of Abuja, Abuja B. Sc. (Hons) Accountancy
2008 Premier College, Abuja West African School Certificate
2005 FCT Primary School, Junior NECO

Other details can go here
He has wisely included course work because it has direct relationship with what he is employed to teach. Knowing that he would be teaching in school and they might likely need such skills such as knowledge of Peachtree and Microsoft Money, he included these. These are the things that will differentiate him from scores of other applicants. He has also included attributes such as being focused, goal-oriented, excellent analytical abilities, numerate and trust-worthy. Though no attributes were specified, he has wisely included these; who would not want to hire somebody that is trustworthy?
Here are some things not to put in a resume
• The word ‘Resume’ or ‘CV’ at the top of the resume
• Fluffy rambling objective
• Salary information (except when specifically asked, which is very rare)
• Full address of former employers
• Reasons for leaving a job

Further Tips: Show you are result oriented wherever possible. Employers are not only interested in your job responsibilities but more importantly in what you accomplished in that duty post. Indicate results of work done, and quantify these accomplishments whenever appropriate. To do this, use what is referred to as Power Verbs: accomplished, achieved, acquired, acted, activated, adapted, added etc. here is an example: Initiated and directed complete automation of the personnel department, resulting in time-savings of over 25%. There is a very good resume we saw on the internet, log on to our website here: www.getemployedquickly.com?source=attractiveresume&website=Nairaland where you will see a download link. Click on the link to download. It is a MS-Word document by a company called Vault. Read it carefully, and most especially the corrected version towards the end. You will see the red interface (I think) that says resulting in what. There are some other ones that we wrote. Hopefully, this contribution and the articles I mentioned will go a long way in educating people on how to write effective resumes

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Government Recruiting For News/Video Editors & Reporters / Firs Or Ptdf Oss, Which Should I Go For? / At Age 31 Is It Still Possible To Get A Bank Job Without Any Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.