Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! (18545 Views)

Buhari Recalls Narrow Escape From Mob At Prayer Ground / Have you heard of this - Be informed, it's so real / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Intrepid1(m): 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2011
I was going to write about something funny this week, but an event which occured yesterday forced my hand into changing the script. Everything you are going to read here is true, and I hope you guys will learn from my experience and not fall victim to fraudsters like a number of people already have, and others unfortunately will continue to be.

Thursday, July 6 2011 was one of those days when 3rd Mainland bridge was inexplicably clogged with cars. I was carless, so my friend picked me up from the office and we proceeded to the mainland. Roughly two hours later, we got to Anthony Village where I reside and I decided to use the ATM machine in the GT Bank branch which is situated near one of the two major bus-stops that service the area. Now, it was around 9.30pm and I didn't think it was fair to make my friend wait so I told her I was going to take a bike home so she left.

On getting to the atm gallery, I noticed that the first of the two machines was 'temporarily out of service' so I used the second one. I noticed that the card slot of the machine I was using had a funny looking receptacle but I shrugged my concerns aside and executed my transaction.

Just as I turned to leave, my 'spidey-sense' started tingling like crazy. I looked at the funny contraption that sat over the card slot with a more critical eye. It blended with the general colour scheme of the machine,  I prodded and pulled it, and to my astonishment the thing fell off! I scrutinized it carefully, with no small measure of suspicion,  The thing had some funny-looking chips embedded in it, and a port that appeared to connect it to a computer or some other device. Apparently, some motherfuckers placed the device there to extract the information on the debit cards of unsuspecting ATM users, which they use to clone their cards and raid their accounts. The fraudsters had blocked the card slot of the other machine with toothpicks to disable it and compel customers to use the machine where they had installed their device. My dad once got hit for 60 grand by some NaughtyPerson scammers who probably used the same methods. His loss was aggravated by the bank's uncooperative stance on the matter. They insisted that he had disclosed his details to a third-party and that they were not liable for any losses he had incurred.

When I was about to turn and leave, two women came into the bank to use the machine. I drew their attention to my discovery and we began searching for a bank security man to report the matter to. For some strange reason, we couldn’t find a single soul on the bank premises. As we stood there contemplating our next move, two shady looking males entered the bank premises. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were the fraudsters. They looked shifty, and eyed us suspiciously when they saw us standing near the machines. One of them asked me if the ATMs were working and I answered in the affirmative. As I answered, the ladies and I walked away and stood in front of the bank building. The fraudsters checked the machine for their ‘oil-well’ and when they couldn’t find it, they walked up to me and asked again, ‘bros, did you say the machine is working well? Shey there is no problem?’ By this time I was pretty irritated and I answered them sharply, ‘yes the machine is working, didn’t you hear me the first time?’

They appeared confused and unsure of the next move to make. They might have suspected that I was with their device but they really didn’t have any proof, especially given the fact that I concealed the device very carefully. They walked back to the ATM bank, and I took the opportunity to leave the banking premises and cross over to the other side of the road where there were a number of people and some illumination. After some two minutes, the two retards gave up their futile search and exited the bank. They walked past me and went into Anthony proper, possibly to go and give a report to their ‘Godfather’. I hope he gutted the two of them like fishes for losing a source of his ‘lau-lau’ money.

I was conscious of the fact that I was in great danger standing beside the road while I waited for a bike to take me home. The fraudsters could have gotten desperate and attacked me with the hope of finding the device on me. The idea of walking home was a non-starter as there were a number of dark places they could ambush me in and do me great harm. After some deep thought, I stopped a bike and asked him to take me home. I made sure I paid him in advance and I kept my eye over my shoulder for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as we got to the entrance gate of the estate where I reside in, I hopped off and darted inside. I trotted home and securely locked the gate behind me…

What the hell do I do with this device? Report the matter to the police who will find a way to implicate me and force me to give them bribes to secure my release; turn it over to the bank where I discovered it so some greedy-arse banker who is up to his teeth in loans converts the device to his use; or do I just destroy it?

http://chimezieokonkwo..com/2011/07/narrow-escape.html

1 Like

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by AjanleKoko: 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2011
Well,
This should be in the Business/Money section. But nice one sha. Evidently fraudsters have stepped up another level. That's a skimming device, it's used to capture your card details, and your PIN, when you enter it.

We need to be more careful when we use ATMs now. How come GT is always the bank of choice for scammers? I know the BM for that branch; I will get this story across to him.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by dempeople(m): 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2011
@OP,

Should be in another section though. undecided

Better to destroy it unless you intend to keep it as a status symbol. My advice would be to destroy it.

BTW, you got off lightly. We thank God those guys didn't attack you there.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 10, 2011
Thank God fo ur life 1st.
Pls Bros destroy dat tng! I wuld hav say repot t d bank, bt we all knw naija!
Nawa o, I was tnkng dis tng is n obodo oyibo. We need to be vry carful nw. Tanks fo d info Bros. And may I say ur post is also apreciatd here.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Afam4eva(m): 3:10pm On Jul 10, 2011
Just thank for your money and your life.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by otokx(m): 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2011
10x 4 d info, some of those bankers do connive with the atm fraudsters.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by ezeagu(m): 3:19pm On Jul 10, 2011
Laugh out loud at using ATM's in Nigeria.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by playmode(m): 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2011
ezeagu:

Laugh out loud at using ATM's in Nigeria.

^^^ It is not only in Nigeria ,we are dealing with the same problem in South Africa. 9 South Africans,11 Nigerians, 2 Zimbabweans and 5 Ghanaians were recently arrested when they were caught on security camera implanting these same device on several ATMs in Johannesburg.The only difference between Nigeria and SA is that the banks compensated the people who lost their money.Furthermore the affected South African banks immediately removed those ATM machines and installed new "model"ATM machines that have a card receptor design that is transparent ,has a bulging surface like a ball and has blinking lights thereby making it very difficult for this scammers to install their skimmers on it. If they install the skimmers on this newer ATMS the Lights on the receptor stops working and the transparent plastic becomes dark green.

Nigeria banks need to upgrade their ATM machine to the newer models which were designed to combat this kind of crime.

@OP Go to A TV Station like Channels TV and report this crime to them,also show them the device.Before you show the the device ,use a candle to slightly burn the green chip on it that will fry any information that is stored on it.People need to know about this as soon as possible.

1 Like

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Ad4(m): 5:14pm On Jul 10, 2011
Bros,thanks alot!That's why I don't use ATM machines not within the bank premises and I don't withdraw at night no matter what!I advice all to do same.As for the machine,destroy it for your own security.The godfather who has it might be a boss in one of these security outlets and you'll just be signing your death warrant.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2011
@playmode, ha!, go to a TV station? Please make sure ur ID is never reavld o, bcus dat maybe askng fo a death sentence frm the fraudsters! Please o, u don escape death.

1 Like

Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Jakumo(m): 7:01pm On Jul 10, 2011
Good catch Intrepid. Your Spidey Senses are in prefect working order. What you just discovered is called a SKIMMER, and they are in WORLDWIDE use, particularly in the UK.

If you had swiped that card, you would have had your account cleaned out fast, and possibly your identity stolen for use in committing major jailable fraud on the global stage.

Say NO to ALL credit cards and ATM cards. Pay CASH for all your purchases, and withdraw that cash the old-fashioned way - over the counter of a bank.

With those basic fiscal security measures observed at all times, you will only have the armed robbers, muggers and kidnappers to worry about.

This bud's for you.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by coogar: 7:09pm On Jul 10, 2011
Intrepid!:

I was going to write about something funny this week, but an event which occured yesterday forced my hand into changing the script. Everything you are going to read here is true, and I hope you guys will learn from my experience and not fall victim to fraudsters like a number of people already have, and others unfortunately will continue to be.

Thursday, July 6 2011 was one of those days when 3rd Mainland bridge was inexplicably clogged with cars. I was carless, so my friend picked me up from the office and we proceeded to the mainland. Roughly two hours later, we got to Anthony Village where I reside and I decided to use the ATM machine in the GT Bank branch which is situated near one of the two major bus-stops that service the area. Now, it was around 9.30pm and I didn't think it was fair to make my friend wait so I told her I was going to take a bike home so she left.

On getting to the atm gallery, I noticed that the first of the two machines was 'temporarily out of service' so I used the second one. I noticed that the card slot of the machine I was using had a funny looking receptacle but I shrugged my concerns aside and executed my transaction.

Just as I turned to leave, my 'spidey-sense' started tingling like crazy. I looked at the funny contraption that sat over the card slot with a more critical eye. It blended with the general colour scheme of the machine, I prodded and pulled it, and to my astonishment the thing fell off! I scrutinized it carefully, with no small measure of suspicion, The thing had some funny-looking chips embedded in it, and a port that appeared to connect it to a computer or some other device. Apparently, some motherfuckers placed the device there to extract the information on the debit cards of unsuspecting ATM users, which they use to clone their cards and raid their accounts. The fraudsters had blocked the card slot of the other machine with toothpicks to disable it and compel customers to use the machine where they had installed their device. My dad once got hit for 60 grand by some NaughtyPerson scammers who probably used the same methods. His loss was aggravated by the bank's uncooperative stance on the matter. They insisted that he had disclosed his details to a third-party and that they were not liable for any losses he had incurred.

When I was about to turn and leave, two women came into the bank to use the machine. I drew their attention to my discovery and we began searching for a bank security man to report the matter to. For some strange reason, we couldn’t find a single soul on the bank premises. As we stood there contemplating our next move, two shady looking males entered the bank premises. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were the fraudsters. They looked shifty, and eyed us suspiciously when they saw us standing near the machines. One of them asked me if the ATMs were working and I answered in the affirmative. As I answered, the ladies and I walked away and stood in front of the bank building. The fraudsters checked the machine for their ‘oil-well’ and when they couldn’t find it, they walked up to me and asked again, ‘bros, did you say the machine is working well? Shey there is no problem?’ By this time I was pretty irritated and I answered them sharply, ‘yes the machine is working, didn’t you hear me the first time?’

They appeared confused and unsure of the next move to make. They might have suspected that I was with their device but they really didn’t have any proof, especially given the fact that I concealed the device very carefully. They walked back to the ATM bank, and I took the opportunity to leave the banking premises and cross over to the other side of the road where there were a number of people and some illumination. After some two minutes, the two retards gave up their futile search and exited the bank. They walked past me and went into Anthony proper, possibly to go and give a report to their ‘Godfather’. I hope he gutted the two of them like fishes for losing a source of his ‘lau-lau’ money.

I was conscious of the fact that I was in great danger standing beside the road while I waited for a bike to take me home. The fraudsters could have gotten desperate and attacked me with the hope of finding the device on me. The idea of walking home was a non-starter as there were a number of dark places they could ambush me in and do me great harm. After some deep thought, I stopped a bike and asked him to take me home. I made sure I paid him in advance and I kept my eye over my shoulder for the entire duration of the journey. As soon as we got to the entrance gate of the estate where I reside in, I hopped off and darted inside. I trotted home and securely locked the gate behind me…

What the hell do I do with this device? Report the matter to the police who will find a way to implicate me and force me to give them bribes to secure my release; turn it over to the bank where I discovered it so some greedy-arse banker who is up to his teeth in loans converts the device to his use; or do I just destroy it?

www.chimezieokonkwo..com

this has been happening since like forever. . . . . .why can't nigerian banks put cctvs where people use the atm? it cannot be that expensive especially to banks who value the security of their customers and themselves.

as for the device, destroy it. if you return it to the police, you will have a lot to explain to them and even get arrested. their question would be why didn't you report the matter immediately it happened. coming to them after few days might implicate you and we all know how unreasonable nigerian policemen behave.

same expectation should be expected if you return it to the bank. they can get you nicked by the bank security officer and hold you down till the police arrives. you have put your sense of awareness to a good use. destroy the device and be more careful when you are using a cash machine. obviously, the fraudsters were waiting somewhere and reading what's being entered. . . . . .sometimes, they don't even tamper with the machine itself, they place a small camera(webcam) somewhere positioned to see what you are entering. . . .
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by AjanleKoko: 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2011
coogar:

this has been happening since like forever. . . . . .why can't nigerian banks put cctvs where people use the atm? it cannot be that expensive especially to banks who value the security of their customers and themselves.

There are CCTV cameras at most ATMs.
I suspect there's some connivance afoot. In any case, I know the branch manager of that branch, and I'll give him a call tomorrow.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by ezeagu(m): 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2011
playmode:

^^^ It is not only in Nigeria ,we are dealing with the same problem in South Africa. 9 South Africans,11 Nigerians, 2 Zimbabweans and 5 Ghanaians were recently arrested when they were caught on security camera implanting these same device on several ATMs in Johannesburg.

Why are Igbo people Nigerians terrorising South Africans?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Intrepid1(m): 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2011
I've destroyed the device, and disposed of it safely, There was no chance of me going to the police, we all know 'police no be your friend!'
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 11, 2011
Only surprise here is banks don't refund money stolen from ATM's shocked
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by playboy19(m): 12:11am On Jul 11, 2011
@op it is good to know that you have destroyed it but i will advice you to go to your bank and declare your card stolen because the fraudsters already have your information. Most of the skimmer are GSM, so they transfer the information to the sim number programmed on them, so whether you remove the skimmer or not, you have been skimmed already, so go declare you card stolen or loose your money. Plus you should have checked the atm machine for any hidden camera or a pin pad, one of the 2 must be there. And just so you know, that ish cost $3k
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by edoyad(m): 12:25am On Jul 11, 2011
Jakumo:

Good catch Intrepid. Your Spidey Senses are in prefect working order. What you just discovered is called a SKIMMER, and they are in WORLDWIDE use, particularly in the UK.

If you had swiped that card, you would have had your account cleaned out fast, and possibly your identity stolen for use in committing major jailable fraud on the global stage.

Say NO to ALL credit cards and ATM cards. Pay CASH for all your purchases, and withdraw that cash the old-fashioned way - over the counter of a bank.

With those basic fiscal security measures observed at all times, you will only have the armed robbers, muggers and kidnappers to worry about.

This bud's for you.
dude , do away with ATM cards ? Have you ever stood online at First Bank or UBA before ?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by LoveKing(m): 12:26am On Jul 11, 2011
wtf!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by mrofficial(m): 12:34am On Jul 11, 2011
The device is called Skimmer.

Naija scammers have advanced. shocked
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by cmpunk: 12:37am On Jul 11, 2011
D nite guards are d no 1 suspects if i wld say.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by 190: 1:06am On Jul 11, 2011
Na wa ooooh

NIGERIANs dont they get tired undecided
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by lastpage: 1:40am On Jul 11, 2011
Nigeria banks need to upgrade their ATM machine to the newer models which were designed to combat this kind of crime.

These are just a few of the issues we asked Sanusi, the CBN Guvnor, [b]to allow the country tackle first before his hair-brained policy on 150K maximum cash withdrawal[/b]

*Lets have more ATM's, the modern ones of course!
*Lets have "improved" security for the ATM's, wherever they are
*Lets have good "stable" internet penetration, especially in the hinterlands
*Lets have "stable" power supply, that one applies to the whole country! grin
*Lets thread cautiously, "cashless society" is not our most pressing problem right now, even though it is desirable!

Let Mallam Lamido Sanusi see reason and not wage "economic war" on Nigerians, especially in the South, where he chose to slaughter his Guinea Pigs!
wink

My take!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by playboy19(m): 1:42am On Jul 11, 2011
Sanusi is a Joke. Period!
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:52am On Jul 11, 2011
"It is not only in Nigeria ,we are dealing with the same problem in South Africa. 9 South Africans,11 Nigerians, 2 Zimbabweans and 5 Ghanaians were recently arrested when they were caught on security camera"

^^^Hehehe grin. Nigerians no dey carry last for dis kind thing.

Most likely the leader/mastermind is some crook that's been based abroad, and seen how easy this skimming thing is to do (esp' in a lawless place like Nigeria where even the Bank/card officials don't give a flying fuc*k). And with Naira signs flashing in his eyes, he's gone and ordered his own device and caught the first flight back home to 'make it rain'.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by mkohagwu(m): 2:29am On Jul 11, 2011
didnt know nigeria now has credit card skimmers, but something is missing!, how do they get the pin?
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by blacklion(m): 2:37am On Jul 11, 2011
No surprise there was no security man around at the time of the incident. They prolly connived with the conmen.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by tpia5: 2:41am On Jul 11, 2011
poster next time exit the premises as soon as you discover any such contraption.

dont hang around because chances are the perpetrators are close by monitoring the machine.

wouldnt be too surprised if some staff are also in on it.

banks today- may God have mercy. undecided

dont think it's only a nigerian thing either.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 11, 2011
There's a reason why I prefer keeping my money stashed in my Afro. I've noticed that not a lot of people want to get close to African Afro.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by ziccoit: 2:58am On Jul 11, 2011
blacklion:

No surprise there was no security man around at the time of the incident. They prolly connived with the conmen.

That was probably the poster's saving grace. The 'insecurity man' would have alerted his fellows in crime and harmed the poster. Thank God for your life.
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by OAM4J: 3:21am On Jul 11, 2011
Na wa o! shocked
Re: A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed! by dayokanu(m): 3:59am On Jul 11, 2011
Maybe its time for us to device other means of securing money.

I know the ladies have a huge safe in their Bra

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Will Fetch $6bn Forex Yearly - CBN / Between Opening A Driving School And Phone Accessories Shop. / Fruit Juice Packaging In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.