Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? (9357 Views)

FIFA Refuses To Back Messi Or Chitalu For Goal Record / Who Will Win The Ballon D'or Tonight? (messi, Xavi Or Ronaldo?) / France(1) Vs Brazil(0): World Cup. Zidane Or Ronaldo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by larimo(m): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2011
I had this debate with a couple friends. If you have a team of 10 players (say the Super Eagles or any other) and you need to complete it with either Messi or C. Ronaldo, who would you pick? You have a balanced team.

I actually picked Messi but I now doubt if he can do anything outside Barcelona grin grin!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 8:35am On Jul 12, 2011
can c ronaldo do anytin apart 4rm madrid workrate=messi!! u dnt nid to argue dis, except u r jst biased!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Johnnny(m): 1:11pm On Jul 13, 2011
Any of the two will do for me. They both bring something different and great into any team, if I can have them both, I would be very glad, but if I have to choose, I will just pick any of the two, because I beleive each will deliver. Afterall, all I want is to win my games! Kapisch cool cool cool
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by mikuz(m): 9:53pm On Jul 13, 2011
Ronaldo all the way.
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by mamagee3(f): 2:15am On Jul 15, 2011
Cristiano ronaldo!!!

Remove Xavi and Iniesta from Barcelona and it'll be Argentina all over again for messi. . . grin
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 17, 2011
Messi.
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 17, 2011
mama-gee:

Cristiano ronaldo!!!

Remove Xavi and Iniesta from Barcelona and it'll be Argentina all over again for messi. . . grin

very true!! I'd pick CR7 cos he has delivered for both Man utd(i luv dis club wit ma heart, body and soul), real madrid, and to a reasonable extent, portugal. If i'd hav d luxury of havin both iniesta and xavi in ma team, i may go for messi bt if odawise, he wnt even mk ma bench. I've alws sed dat if messi and david silva of man city shld swap clubs, messi wont b missed at barca while i cant vouch for messi performin @ city.
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by mikuz(m): 9:51am On Jul 19, 2011
But without messi,xavi and iniesta would be nobody today!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by babyboy3(m): 11:11am On Jul 19, 2011
I Pick Messi every day of the week,  CR7 is in the comfort zone at both United and Madrid,  actually at United the team worked for him! Messi for Argentina is a different case because he didnt grow up in Argentina and they had a looney as a manager! its not like CR7 is pulling out trees for Portugal. He does more rolling on the ground than playing football,  Messi is a team player.

But without messi,xavi and iniesta would be nobody today!

Messi was in the team when both Xavi and Iniesta were on the bench in 2006!!! I believe they had Deco, Edmilson and Thiago in the midfield then
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Onyxdavy(f): 11:22am On Jul 19, 2011
I wil pick C.RONALDO. MESSI can dissappoint though his my guy truth must be told
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by medjai(m): 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2011
The mesmerizing Messi, all day, everyday.
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2011
baby-boy:

I Pick Messi every day of the week,  CR7 is in the comfort zone at both United and Madrid,  actually at United the team worked for him! Messi for Argentina is a different case because he didnt grow up in Argentina and they had a looney as a manager! its not like CR7 is pulling out trees for Portugal. He does more rolling on the ground than playing football,  Messi is a team player.

Messi was in the team when both Xavi and Iniesta were on the bench in 2006!!! I believe they had Deco, Edmilson and Thiago in the midfield then
CR7 in d comfort zone?? Wot den cld b sed about messi @ barca?? CR7 has performed betta dan messi in dia respective national teams. Yeah, xavi and iniesta were on d bench in 2006, bt brova, can u compare d barcelona of dt time to d present one?? Was it d same slicky passing game dey played den?? Did dey tear teams apart as dey are doin presntly?? Did messi score so many goals and create so many assists as he is doing presntly?? And most impotantly: DID HE RECIEVE SO MUCH ACCOLADES AS HE'S RECIEVING PRESENTLY Tsnt a coincidence o!! D most imprtant plyrs @ barc are xavi and iniesta, period!!!dey played den?? Did dey tear teams apart as dey are doin presntly?? Did messi score so many goals and create so many assists as he is doing presntly?? And most impotantly: DID HE RECIEVE SO MUCH ACCOLADES AS HE'S RECIEVING PRESENTLY Tsnt a coincidence o!! D most imprtant plyrs @ barc are xavi and iniesta, period!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2011
dademola:

CR7 in d comfort zone?? Wot den cld b sed about messi @ barca?? CR7 has performed betta dan messi in dia respective national teams. Yeah, xavi and iniesta were on d bench in 2006, bt brova, can u compare d barcelona of dt time to d present one?? Was it d same slicky passing game dey played den?? Did dey tear teams apart as dey are doin presntly?? Did messi score so many goals and create so many assists as he is doing presntly?? And most impotantly: DID HE RECIEVE SO MUCH ACCOLADES AS HE'S RECIEVING PRESENTLY Tsnt a coincidence o!! D most imprtant plyrs @ barc are xavi and iniesta, period!!!dey played den?? Did dey tear teams apart as dey are doin presntly?? Did messi score so many goals and create so many assists as he is doing presntly?? And most impotantly: DID HE RECIEVE SO MUCH ACCOLADES AS HE'S RECIEVING PRESENTLY Tsnt a coincidence o!! D most imprtant plyrs @ barc are xavi and iniesta, period!!!

grin grin grin nw, take a look at wat u hv sed! r u convinced dat u've made sense wif dis? i am rily tired of all dese talks about a player whose nt performing! look at dat team u call 'Argentina'.
dat team lacks creativity on evry syd, does 1 man make a team,
for a player to b used to a team's playin style and its not clicking in his country, does dat make him less of a gud player.

d ronaldo u r even shouting, has he won a world cup b4 irrespective of d tym??, Messi won U-20 world cup in 2005, so wat achievements does ronaldo have in his country beta dan messi?

in dis Copa America, its nt a new tin dat south American teams always give d top countries (brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc) tough tym. so hw can u use d copa america to judge??

wen Argentina won their only match in Copa America, 3-0, messi created 7 chances on goal. the highest dat has ever been created by any single player in Copa America history.

dont hate d player, hate d game, he is a football god and nobody can perform at his rate right now.

and u r even comparing ronaldo to him, r dey agemates? how many tyms did Messi outshine Ronaldo wen dey met?

he is d best on d planet at the moment, Ronaldo even knows dat himself! tongue
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by julioralph(m): 10:45pm On Jul 20, 2011
If i have a complete team I'll definitely go 4 Messi!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 21, 2011
dabraska:

grin grin grin nw, take a look at wat u hv sed! r u convinced dat u've made sense wif dis? i am rily tired of all dese talks about a player whose nt performing! look at dat team u call 'Argentina'.
dat team lacks creativity on evry syd, does 1 man make a team,
for a player to b used to a team's playin style and its not clicking in his country, does dat make him less of a gud player.

d ronaldo u r even shouting, has he won a world cup b4 irrespective of d tym??, Messi won U-20 world cup in 2005, so wat achievements does ronaldo have in his country beta dan messi?

in dis Copa America, its nt a new tin dat south American teams always give d top countries (brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc) tough tym. so hw can u use d copa america to judge??

wen Argentina won their only match in Copa America, 3-0, messi created 7 chances on goal. the highest dat has ever been created by any single player in Copa America history.

dont hate d player, hate d game, he is a football god and nobody can perform at his rate right now.

and u r even comparing ronaldo to him, r dey agemates? how many tyms did Messi outshine Ronaldo wen dey met?

he is d best on d planet at the moment, Ronaldo even knows dat himself! tongue
try to reaon a lil deeper, bro! Wen eto was @ mallorca, didnt he score so many goals there?? Hw many plyrs do u knw there? Wasnt it a team dt was alws fightin relegation?? Being able to adjust to diffrent scenarios is an important hallmark of a great plyr. He failed in d last 2 worldcups. He has failed again. If he's ur god dt u worship,i wish u luck!! Pls dnt gt me wrong, he's a superb plyr, bt he's over-hyped!! Ronaldo also has shortcomings and deficiencies bt he'd tell u he has being tried and tested @ united and madrid
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by babyboy3(m): 9:49am On Jul 21, 2011
He failed in d last 2 worldcups

In the last 2 world cups Argentina were managed by 2 different loony

The 2006 WC: Messi was just promoted from the under 20 team to the national team managed by Pekerman who is normally blinded by his ego, Argentina battered Germany and were in cruise control decided to take off Riquelme! who was the star of the team, Germany got a grip of the game, equalised and the rest is history.

The 2010 WC: The was managed by Maradona who had no idea on how to manage a local pub let alone a school team, chopping and changing even brought back Martin Palermo from the wilderness, had no strategy, no plan, dropped Javier Zenetti dropped Riquelme and brought in Veron!!!

Majority of the Goals Argentina scored at the world cup were set up by Messi!!!

Go and look at the 2007 Copa America and see Messi's performance
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 21, 2011
baby-boy:

In the last 2 world cups Argentina were managed by 2 different loony

The 2006 WC: Messi was just promoted from the under 20 team to the national team managed by Pekerman who is normally blinded by his ego, Argentina battered Germany and were in cruise control decided to take off Riquelme! who was the star of the team, Germany got a grip of the game, equalised and the rest is history.

The 2010 WC: The was managed by Maradona who had no idea on how to manage a local pub let alone a school team, chopping and changing even brought back Martin Palermo from the wilderness, had no strategy, no plan, dropped Javier Zenetti dropped Riquelme and brought in Veron!!!

Majority of the Goals Argentina scored at the world cup were set up by Messi!!!

Go and look at the 2007 Copa America and see Messi's performance
who cares bout d tactical deficiencies of d 2 gaffers mentioned above?? so, frm wot u're sayin, d two coaches are d cause of messi's predicament?? Hehehehehehhehehhee!!! Joke of d century!! Very funny!! In terms of tactical faults,in 2006, was d french team tactically sound?? Inspite dat fact,Didnt zidane still stand out??there are times a team fails to perform, bt d contributions of certain plyrs are still recognised. Lionel messi has failed to establish himself on d international scene, period!! Scoring so many goals for barca, hw many has he scored for argentina?? Hw many assists has he created for d national team?? At d last worldcup, kld uruguay be classified as a tactically sound team?? Despite dat,Didnt forlan shine?? If messi is truely d god u pple say he is, he shld b able to single-handedly turn around argentina's poor fortunes.
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by babyboy3(m): 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2011
who cares bout d tactical deficiencies of d 2 gaffers mentioned above?? so, frm wot u're sayin, d two coaches are d cause of messi's predicament?? Hehehehehehhehehhee!!! Joke of d century!! Very funny!! In terms of tactical faults,in 2006, was d french team tactically sound?? Inspite dat fact,Didnt zidane still stand out??there are times a team fails to perform, bt d contributions of certain plyrs are still recognised. Lionel messi has failed to establish himself on d international scene, period!! Scoring so many goals for barca, hw many has he scored for argentina?? Hw many assists has he created for d national team?? At d last worldcup, kld uruguay be classified as a tactically sound team?? Despite dat,Didnt forlan shine?? If messi is truely d god u pple say he is, he shld b able to single-handedly turn around argentina's poor fortunes.

Answer these questions

How did

Maradona perform at the 1982 world cup

Zidane and Thierry Henry perform at the 2002 world cup

Van Basten and Ruud Gullit perform at the 1990 world cup

David Beckham perform at the 2002 world cup

Ronaldinho perform at the 2006 world cup
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 21, 2011
baby-boy:

Answer these questions

How did

Maradona perform at the 1982 world cup

Zidane and Thierry Henry perform at the 2002 world cup

Van Basten and Ruud Gullit perform at the 1990 world cup

David Beckham perform at the 2002 world cup

Ronaldinho perform at the 2006 world cup

wit d exception of beckam, d above listed plyrs hav achieved success and hav won trophies wit dia respective national teams.messi has failed to do so, so d criticism and scrutiny continues. Probably, if he proves himself @ anoda club,such criticism may stop bt for now, watch dis space!!!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by babyboy3(m): 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2011
wit d exception of beckam, d above listed plyrs hav achieved success and hav won trophies wit dia respective national teams.messi has failed to do so, so d criticism and scrutiny continues. Probably, if he proves himself @ anoda club,such criticism may stop bt for now, watch dis space!!!!!

Tell me what did Maradona win before the 1982 WC?
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 21, 2011
baby-boy:

Tell me what did Maradona win before the 1982 WC?
pls dnt even tow dat line!! Yeah, maradona's first worldcup in 1982 was disastrous, bt wot happened in1986?? Messi's first worldcup was in 2006, wot happened again in 2010?? Pls dnt even compare d 2 of dem as regardin successess wit d national teams
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 7:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
dademola:

try to reaon a lil deeper, bro! Wen eto was @ mallorca, didnt he score so many goals there?? Hw many plyrs do u knw there? Wasnt it a team dt was alws fightin relegation?? Being able to adjust to diffrent scenarios is an important hallmark of a great plyr. He failed in d last 2 worldcups. He has failed again. If he's your god dt u worship,i wish u luck!! Pls dnt gt me wrong, he's a superb plyr, bt he's over-hyped!! Ronaldo also has shortcomings and deficiencies bt he'd tell u he has being tried and tested @ united and madrid

is messi a striker?? if he was a striker and failed to score, missing chances anyhow, dat will b a different case! u cant compare him to eto! dey r plenty strikers dat score regularly 4 low clubs. Wen Luca Toni scored almost 40 goals 4 fiorentina, did dat make him do d same 4 Italy given he is even a striker?
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 7:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
dademola:

pls dnt even tow dat line!! Yeah, maradona's first worldcup in 1982 was disastrous, bt wot happened in1986?? Messi's first worldcup was in 2006, wot happened again in 2010?? Pls dnt even compare d 2 of dem as regardin successess wit d national teams

how many players have shone in d world cup in dis new generation of football, at d age of 24?? Answer dat or forever hold ur peace
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 21, 2011
dabraska:

how many players have shone in d world cup in dis new generation of football, at d age of 24?? Answer dat or forever hold your peace
hehehehehhe!!! Wen u say new generation, i wanna believe u're refering to d last 15yrs. If i say i wanna start typing wot i knw about a certain wonder boi, who at d age of 21, ma thumbs wld hurt me a great deal.pls does d name RONALDO De LIMA ring a bell?? I'd b here waitin for u sir!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2011
dabraska:

is messi a striker?? if he was a striker and failed to score, missing chances anyhow, dat will b a different case! u cant compare him to eto! dey r plenty strikers dat score regularly 4 low clubs. Wen Luca Toni scored almost 40 goals 4 fiorentina, did dat make him do d same 4 Italy given he is even a striker?

dat is exactly ma point, brova. Y didnt dos strikers complain of lack of quality wingers or playmakers U say messi isnt a striker. Kk. Is alexis sanchez a striker?? Hw many plyrs do u knw at udinese?? Wen riquelme was runnin d show @ villareal, was he a striker?? Was villareal a heavy-weight in europe @ dt time?? Chei!!! Xavi and iniesta, may d gud lord bless ur souls!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 8:28pm On Jul 21, 2011
dademola:

hehehehehhe!!! Wen u say new generation, i wanna believe u're refering to d last 15yrs. If i say i wanna start typing wot i knw about a certain wonder boi, who at d age of 21,  ma thumbs wld hurt me a great deal.pls does d name RONALDO De LIMA ring a bell?? I'd b here waitin for u sir!!! 

gud answer! he was d european player of d yr at 21, he shone at d 1998 world cup but wif which team, isnt it d brazil dat won 1994 world cup? he had ready made players in d team 2 help him out. And plus he is a striker, he ddnt do it alone! it took him up till 26 yrs 2 win d world cup!

luk at d argentine squad, dey are a bunch of young individual underachievers wif messi jst havn a new line of responsibilities on his shoulders at 24. they dnt hv d world cup xperience. And u kip refering to 2006 world cup, how old was messi wen he played in 2006 world cup? was he even d star at dat tym??

and thnk God u cud not mention alot of dem, even if dey are, dey r very few exceptional ones. u nid experience in d world cup!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by dabraska: 8:37pm On Jul 21, 2011
dademola:

dat is exactly ma point, brova. Y didnt dos strikers complain of lack of quality wingers or playmakers U say messi isnt a striker. Kk. Is alexis sanchez a striker?? Hw many plyrs do u knw at udinese?? Wen riquelme was runnin d show @ villareal, was he a striker?? Was villareal a heavy-weight in europe @ dt time?? Chei!!! Xavi and iniesta, may d gud lord bless your souls!!

grin grin grin u argue futball wifout putting into consideration, d tactics involved in it! Alexis sanchez, performing well at udinese dosent hv evrytin solely 2 do wif him alone. u dnt knw if d tactics of d team fits him perfectly. y do top players flop? is it bcus dey r not gud? hell NO! its cus dey dnt blend wif the playin style of their new team! Argentina is used to individual gamestyle whichis completely different 4rm barca's gamestyle. Only him alone cant change dat.

my point is dis, Barcelona has a gamestyle dat messi is very used to! He mite not hv perform up to expectation in Argentina but wif tym, he'll blend. he's jst 24
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2011
dabraska:

grin grin grin u argue futball wifout putting into consideration, d tactics involved in it! Alexis sanchez, performing well at udinese dosent hv evrytin solely 2 do wif him alone. u dnt knw if d tactics of d team fits him perfectly. y do top players flop? is it bcus dey r not gud? hell NO! its cus dey dnt blend wif the playin style of their new team! Argentina is used to individual gamestyle whichis completely different 4rm barca's gamestyle. Only him alone cant change dat.

my point is dis, Barcelona has a gamestyle dat messi is very used to! He mite not hv perform up to expectation in Argentina but wif tym, he'll blend. he's jst 24
dabraska:

tactics or no tactics, dis plyrs stand out. Messi has failed to do so for his country, period!! Hw can u align urself to a particular style of play?? Maybe fifa shld start allowing national teams to buy plyrs frm one-anoda, so dt xavi and iniesta can transfer to argentina so dt messi can perform and win national honors!!! D worldcup and copa hold every 4yrs, so time aint on his side!!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 21, 2011
dademola:

tactics or no tactics, dis plyrs stand out. Messi has failed to do so for his country, period!! Hw can u align urself to a particular style of play?? Maybe fifa shld start allowing national teams to buy plyrs frm one-anoda, so dt xavi and iniesta can transfer to argentina so dt messi can perform and win national honors!!! D worldcup and copa hold every 4yrs, so time aint on his side!!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by babyboy3(m): 6:54am On Jul 22, 2011
tactics or no tactics, dis plyrs stand out

I stopped reading after I read that quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good-luck with this conversation,
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 22, 2011
baby-boy:

I stopped reading after I read that quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good-luck with this conversation,
thanks for ur comments. D earlier u pple agree dt messi is overhyped,d betta. Like someone sed, if he wasnt playin for barca, he'd jst b reffered to as a talented player. Once again, Xavi and iniesta, TUALE!!!! 21 gunshot salute for dos 2 plyrs mehn!!!
Re: Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? by ddippset(m): 2:59pm On Jul 22, 2011
first of all you're biased right from the on set. what messi has performed for argentina ronaldo can only dream of for portugal. anyways me thinks it all depends. you said the super eagles and one more- messi or ronaldo right? ok here's your answer. if you want the super eagles to produce the highest goal scorer in the competition, go for ronaldo but if you want to win the competition then messi is the man you want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Super Eagles: Onuachu Drafted As Moses Simon's Replacement / Shooting Stars Back In NPFL As They Beat Ekiti United 6 - 0 / Asisat Oshoala's Goal Nominated For Champions League Goal Of The Week.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.