Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh (7469 Views)

If Football Players Were Superheroes!!! Funny But Interesting! / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by iragbijile: 11:15am On Jul 11, 2011
Former Super Eagles Captain , Sunday Oliseh believes Nigeria could have gotten better results from Rashidi Yekini at USA 94 and the team could have done better but for the deep rooted division in the team.

“Some of our our players were madly, sickly, mentally jealous and the moment Yekini was named the highest player. He was leaving for Panathinaikos.There was some Jealousy there and Yekini himself, He was not smart enough to calm things down…but with due respect…”

Oliseh believes Yekini was special “ A lot of things about it, you know,personally,if you look at it, , which other striker do we have in the history of Nigeria, who strikes 30 metres shots. If Yekini can count the number of goals at the highest level, it will be over a hundred… of all the Strikers we talk about in Nigeria, which other striker? He asks.

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/110708/Some_of_our_players_were_madly_jealous
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by otokx(m): 11:24am On Jul 11, 2011
This guy has been talking too much of late.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by Ibime(m): 12:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
It is no news that teammates conspired against Yeking. Okocha admitted so himself.

Oliseh was not one of them. He always had a fruitful partnership with Yeking, hitting many sumptuous long balls over the top for Yeking to capitalise on.

1 Like

Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by dayokanu(m): 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
Amokachie, Okocha that was how they started the mafia in Eagles
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by saintneo(m): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2011
if they conspired, what was the job of the coach westerhorf?

In the 1994 summer, Yekini was bought by Olympiacos FC, but did not get along with teammates and left. His career never really got back on track, not even upon a return to Setúbal, which happened after another unassuming spell, in La Liga with Sporting de Gijón. He successively played with FC Zürich, Club Athlétique Bizertin and Al-Shabab Riyadh, before rejoining Africa Sports. In 2003, at 39, he returned to the Nigerian championship with Julius Berger FC.
wiki what happened to his club performance, did the super eagles invade his club with conspiracy as well.

oliseh should go and sit down, if not for the respect i have for him, i would have asked him to eat poo. he is just looking for an opportunity to be in the news. what happened to his mafia-super eagles, was he not the head/capone?

The world would watch in amazement as Yekini rushed into the net and alone, all, all alone like that famous line from the rhyme of the Ancient mariner. He would chant, scream all by himself, an image that personified the legendary goalscorer supreme and one of the defining moments of USA 94.No one came to meet him.
why did yekini go selfish?

let us not bring issues that are very wrong up. also, the initial title of this thread was tribalistic. if igbos did this to yekini, why didnt they allow peter rufai to suffer in the goal post.
all these hatred for ndigbo is false, evil and bad.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by lastpage: 7:30pm On Jul 11, 2011
Sorry bruv,
Let me ask: When YeKing scored, (he practically followed the ball inside the Net), he stayed and celebrated "inside the Net", that was our first goal at a "world Cup" proper. In what way was that "act of celebration" selfish, on the part of YeKing?

Was it not "team mates" that "run to the scorer" to celebrate with him and he in turn, will acknowledge their contribution?
Is it supposed to be the other way round as you are suggesting?

I will have no doubt that YeKing has some "deep-rooted issues" that bother on "Social Skills" as his level of education and exposure is not the best
but my-oh-my, was he "Gifted and Special"?

This "issues" affected his club career, no doubt.
Thats why, you cant trade anything for education and exposure!

YeKing, my "Ibadan Hero", l hope we can all rehabilitate him for the joy he brought to our hearts, while it lasted.

NFF and Sport Minister, whats your plan?

1 Like

Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by BabaO2: 7:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
@saintneo
Are you intelligent at all? at 39 how could he have the same fitness level as during USA 94?

if they conspired, what was the job of the coach westerhorf?

In the 1994 summer, Yekini was bought by Olympiacos FC, but did not get along with teammates and left. His career never really got back on track, not even upon a return to Setúbal, which happened after another unassuming spell, in La Liga with Sporting de Gijón. He successively played with FC Zürich, Club Athlétique Bizertin and Al-Shabab Riyadh, before rejoining Africa Sports. In 2003, at 39, he returned to the Nigerian championship with Julius Berger FC.
wiki what happened to his club performance, did the super eagles invade his club with conspiracy as well.

oliseh should go and sit down, if not for the respect i have for him, i would have asked him to eat poo. he is just looking for an opportunity to be in the news. what happened to his mafia-super eagles, was he not the head/capone?

The world would watch in amazement as Yekini rushed into the net and alone, all, all alone like that famous line from the rhyme of the Ancient mariner. He would chant, scream all by himself, an image that personified the legendary goalscorer supreme and one of the defining moments of USA 94.No one came to meet him.
why did yekini go selfish?

let us not bring issues that are very wrong up. also, the initial title of this thread was tribalistic. if igbos did this to yekini, why didnt they allow peter rufai to suffer in the goal post.
all these hatred for ndigbo is false, evil and bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by tit(f): 7:39pm On Jul 11, 2011
the forward lineup against bulgaria would have included amuneke (se), finidi (ss), siasia(ss) and amokachi (nc).
if they all did not identify with the goalking then it was not tribal.

personally i like the way he celebrated his goal.
the intensity and passion would not have shone if he had been mobbed by his teammates.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by candylips(m): 7:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
why is he raising this up after 16 yrs. angry
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by Concept(m): 8:08pm On Jul 11, 2011
To avoid a scenario like this; the more reason Osaze need to settle issues with his national team coach and teammates or else his goal scoring abilities might just be fluke if others turn their back on him. They need team spirit to succeed together.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by 190: 8:09pm On Jul 11, 2011
Didnt  Fernando Torres partner Yekini against Bulgaria
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by dogice(m): 8:18pm On Jul 11, 2011
Baba_O:

Are you intelligent at all? at 39 how could he have the same fitness level as during USA 94?

i love nairaland,they will always wound you grin grin grin
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by saintneo(m): 8:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
Baba_O:

@saintneo

good question from an blind individual . . . . my question to you should be, can you read? You only saw the sentence about him being 39. Did you consider his stint from 1994 to 2003 - Olympicaos, Setúbal, Sporting de Gijón, FC Zürich, Club Athlétique Bizertin, Al-Shabab Riyadh and Africa Sports? Did it ever occur to you that this was 9 long years after USA 94, yet he didn't make any impact.

I have my respect for Yekini, we are yet to find a replacement for him. I don't know about Yekini's social skills, I don't know about the jealousy However, we should not tribalise this kind of rubbish.

People say no one mobbed him in this video (0.40 to 1.07 pay attention to 1.05), who was the first to mob him right in the goal post - Uche Okechukwu an Igbo man.
[flash=425,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omu3pUK3R11[/flash]

Bosom:

the forward lineup against bulgaria would have included amuneke (se), finidi (ss), siasia(ss) and amokachi (nc).
if they all did not identify with the goalking then it was not tribal.
defintely wink

candylips:

why is he raising this up after 16 yrs.  angry
because oliseh is missing the paparazzi and someone is using it as a rallying point to heat up a tribal war on Nairaland.

dogice:

i love nairaland,they will always wound you  grin grin grin
why the help should i bother myself with the guy anyway? it shows his reading skills needs to be improved as well as his mannerism.
190:

Didnt  Fernando Torres partner Yekini against Bulgaria
@190 you are a champion!
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by VolvoS60(m): 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ah. . . yekini.

those were the days. . .

I still remember the feverish excitement whenever the team played with yekini, amokachie, amunike? and others up front in the Nations Cup and World Cup of that time. Hearing english commentators howling "YEKINIIII!!!" (in an accent you could mistake for an Ibadan indigene's) whenever an opportunity was taken or missed  - that was something else.

Yekini truly was gifted. I still remember some weird goal he scored (during the Nation's cup?) from some impossible angle on the right wing. A bit like dutchman Van Basten's strike in the Euro cup of the mid?/late? 80s.

A pity things didn't work out too well for him (yekini) over time -  i think his marriage crumbled and he had other personal and career problems too. And maybe he should have sought out and celebrated with teammates after scoring against bulgaria (don't know if that would have made any difference to the infighting we have been told about). But he will always be remembered as one of this country's top strikers.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by member479760: 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2011
if yekini was the top scorer then why kanu received award for only 3 goals? this is the same issue we have all over the place.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by Image123(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2011
If yekini was 39 in 2003, it means he was 30 in 1994. 30 is not normal time for football strikers to blossom but to decline. Its good to put that in consideration when we are discussing his not too impressive showings at club level at that age. Not everybody's filippo inzaghi.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by MMM2(m): 10:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by saintneo(m): 11:36pm On Jul 11, 2011
190:

answer me gadeemmmiit!! angry
yes he did. they even got married, wonder how you forgot so easily . . you were the minister in that union
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by 190: 7:53am On Jul 12, 2011
shocked angry angry
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by candylips(m): 9:09am On Jul 12, 2011
what is 190 doing here
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by sayso: 9:53am On Jul 12, 2011
Oliseh now I know for sure you guys hated Yekini during that world cup.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by sley4life(m): 10:04am On Jul 12, 2011
I totally agree with Oliseh
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by vicenzo(m): 10:58am On Jul 12, 2011
Oliseh should let sleeping dogs lie,this his lame attempt at being in the news,is pathetic.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by sylve11: 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
Baba_O:

@saintneo

lol! grin grin grin grin i now i can c the gravity of yur annoyance grin grin cool
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by Larufa(m): 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2011
Please everybody go back and watch Yekini scored Nigeria 1st ever goal at the World cup, the nearest person to Yekini was Emmanuel Amuneke. After the goal was scored Amuneke just held the post and turned back. He did not make any attempt to celebrate the goal. It was Uche Okechuckwu, a defender, that came all the way from the back to celebrate with him 1st. In fact it was a known fact that the head of the hatred mafia was the team captain - Stephen Keshi, remember the issue of the invitation of Chidi Nwanu.

What I believe Olishe is doing now is trying to clear his conscience and right the record.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by logica(m): 8:53pm On Jul 12, 2011
Yes. It was clear Amokachi and Amunike (especially) were not happy with Yekini. Typical of glory seekers, forgetting that Yekini had been banging in goals for the Super Eagles when they were still running around in the dirty streets in their dirty and torn underpants.

1 Like

Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by dome2: 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
You took it right from my mouth. This has been my observation for the past 17years (since 1994)
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by dome2: 8:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
Larufa:

Please everybody go back and watch Yekini scored Nigeria 1st ever goal at the World cup, the nearest person to Yekini was Emmanuel Amuneke. After the goal was scored Amuneke just held the post and turned back. He did not make any attempt to celebrate the goal. It was Uche Okechuckwu, a defender, that came all the way from the back to celebrate with him 1st. In fact it was a known fact that the head of the hatred mafia was the team captain - Stephen Keshi, remember the issue of the invitation of Chidi Nwanu.

What I believe Olishe is doing now is trying to clear his conscience and right the record.

You took it right from my mouth. This has been my observation for the past 17years (since 1994)
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by saintneo(m): 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
strikers hating strikers! And not Igbos hating Yekini. Amunike and Yekini had 49%-51% of scoring that goal respectively, Yekini was closer and that was his chance.

I believe there was bounty on the Nigeria's first goal, that's why the issue occurred. After the goal what happened afterwards? Everyone fell back to the line of duty.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by ebogentle(m): 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2011
Going by all these theories, then I guess we should be grateful that they even played like a team and scored goals in the first place. Cos it seems to me that if the hatred was as you all describe it, then there would have been sabotage even at that first goal. Abeg make we leave 16 year old matter and celebrate what is still our finest hour to date on world stage. I know we won the Olympics in 1996 but I am sure you all agree that it is still nothing compared to our performance in our very first world cup. For God's sake Nigeria was 5th on fifa ranking then. If they hated each other like some suggest, then I sure hope this present team hate each other even more, cos it seems to me that is what will bring the performance level any close to USA 1994.
Re: 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh by Gbenge77(m): 7:25pm On Jul 15, 2011
Amazing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Siasia Appears At Keshi's Unveiling / No Professional Football Club In Nigeria — Onigbinde / Super Falcons Vs France (0 - 1) On Sunday 26th June @ 2pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.