Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? (19717 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / What Is The Difference Between Igbo And Edo(esan) Men?? / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2011
Teacher: Student by your experience which language is easier to learn, IBO or Hausa
Student( Ileke-Idi) : Yoruba

Now tell me why chap wont write jamb 10 times  undecided undecided undecided

Out of 100 ppl in my class in Sec sch only one Ijabu girl passed Yoruba in my set.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by zikclassiq(m): 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2011
Hausa, yoruba then igbo. No comment
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Yeske2(m): 4:27pm On Jul 31, 2011
alj_harem:

yes you are a igbo Ghanaian wink grin grin grin

maybe you can explain this

Dont think thats Ghana, looks like a statue i saw in Ife
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2011
Yeske!:

Dont think thats Ghana, looks like a statue i saw in Ife

Yoruba is taught almost everywhere, so why not. Looks like Ghana to me o.

Yoruba is easier to learn, then comes Hausa because Yoruba and Hausa have similar words. Igbo is harder, it's like learning Hebrew, their ancestral's language.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2011
@Ileke-idi, orisha used in Brazil(god) and (I)susu in Jamaica(interest-free banking) does not mean yoruba is spoken in both places

But it is. Google it wink
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Digriz(m): 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2011
Igbo is more difficult than hausa to learn bt u cn learn it easily if u live in SE. The rizn why it is always difficult for other tribes to learn and speak it fluently is because of the short form  of some words when speaking it Example:
Kedu ebe ina aga- kee ebe ina aga or kee ebe ina eje(meaning where are u going. U cn notice that (kedu) hv bn minimized to (kee).
Igbos also make use of different slang when speaking(mainly in the cities outside their villages) and that is where other tribes normally finds it difficult coz new slang words are bn formed daily. A non igbo wl find it a little bit hard understanding igbo in a place like Lagos because of so many igbo dialects spoken there and that makes it even harder.
If u wnt to learn igbo fluently, u hv to be in their locality where the same dialect is bn spoken and more advantage if it is a central igbo speaking area.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by chidyke77(m): 6:06pm On Jul 31, 2011
Digriz:

Igbo is more difficult than hausa to learn bt u cn learn it easily if u live in SE. The rizn why it is always difficult for other tribes to learn and speak it fluently is because of the short form  of some words when speaking it Example:
Kedu ebe ina aga- kee ebe ina aga or kee ebe ina eje(meaning where are u going. U cn notice that (kedu) hv bn minimized to (kee).
Igbos also make use of different slang when speaking(mainly in the cities outside their villages) and that is where other tribes normally finds it difficult coz new slang words are bn formed daily. A non igbo wl find it a little bit hard understanding igbo in a place like Lagos because of so many igbo dialects spoken there and that makes it even harder.
If u wnt to learn igbo fluently, u hv to be in their locality where the same dialect is bn spoken and more advantage if it is a central igbo speaking area. 
i agree wt on that slang thing because i used to find it hard understanding some of the newly formed slang bt as an igbo person,i usually read the meaning thru the sentence and the purpose.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 6:06pm On Jul 31, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I thought Saudi Arabia was Odudwa's homeland, not Ghana. Do they have his statue there?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2011
Digriz:

[b]Kedu ebe ina aga- kee ebe ina aga or kee ebe ina eje(meaning where are u going. U cn notice that (kedu) hv bn minimized to (kee).[/b]Igbos also make use of different slang when speaking(mainly in the cities outside their villages) and that is where other tribes normally finds it difficult coz new slang words are bn formed daily. A non igbo wl find it a little bit hard understanding igbo in a place like Lagos because of so many igbo dialects spoken there and that makes it even harder.

Every language has the shortening version of their words.

I.e the Yoruba language: eku aaro --> ekaaro
                                   etc. I'm sure the Hausas have their own too.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2011
ezeagu:

I thought Saudi Arabia was Odudwa's homeland, not Ghana. Do they have his statue there?

Get your money back from your teachers and school institution. Even non-Nigerians know this is false.
Knowledge is power, my friend. Dont be left behind.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by EzeUche(m): 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2011
This is not a Yoruba thread, but people want to talk it.

It is about Igbo and Hausa. . . Not Yoruba  undecided

And I have said it before, Yorubas are indegenous to Ghana unless some of you people are trying to say the Ewe are Yoruba.

Look at the ethnic map of Ghana if you do not believe me.

[img]http://74.54.19.227/GHP/img/pics/54217280.jpg[/img]
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Get your money back from your teachers and school institution. Even non-Nigerians know this is false.
Knowledge is power, my friend. Dont be left behind.

But I saw it in a Yoruba movie and some Yoruba posters here were talking about the semitic origins of the Yoruba language.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=odudwa+saudi+arabia#hl=en&q=oduduwa+saudi+arabia&tbm=bks
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 31, 2011
EzeUche:

This is not a Yoruba thread, but people want to talk it.

It is about Igbo and Hausa. . . Not Yoruba  undecided

And I have said it before, Yorubas are indegenous to Ghana unless some of you people are trying to say the Ewe are Yoruba.

Look at the ethnic map of Ghana if you do not believe me.

[img]http://74.54.19.227/GHP/img/pics/54217280.jpg[/img]

LOL The great Ghanaian people of Yoruba ancestors.

Up Yoruba!!

Why do you think Yoruba is not easy to learn? wink
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 6:18pm On Jul 31, 2011
In accounts of them, the emphasis is on the foundation of dynasties and city-states. Thus, Oduduwa is presented as a dogged warrior who rebelled against Islam and traveled the great distance from Saudi Arabia to found the Yoruba nation

Yoruba gurus: indigenous production of knowledge in Africa. Toyin Falola.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by chidyke77(m): 6:54pm On Jul 31, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Every language has the shortening version of their words.

I.e the Yoruba language: eku aaro --> ekaaro
                                   etc. I'm sure the Hausas have their own too.
A non igbo guy asked me ''kee kwanu'' one day and i replied ''nnaa afo n'asa m''. He got confused and asked me if i hv taken any drug for my stomach problem and i then explained the meaning to him. He was right wt his reply bt my reply to hm means another thing whch an average igbo cn understand easily.
The guy speaks and undertand igbo bt a situation like this cn confuse non igbos. I dnt knw if hausas have smtin like that in their language.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 31, 2011
chidyke77:

A non igbo guy asked me ''kee kwanu'' one day and i replied ''nnaa afo n'asa m''. He got confused and asked me if i hv taken any drug for my stomach problem and i then explained the meaning to him. He was right wt his reply bt my reply to hm means another thing whch an average igbo cn understand easily. The guy speaks and undertand igbo bt a situation like this cn confuse non igbos. I dnt knw if hausas have smtin like that in their language.
LMAO!! grin
Every language does. Yoruba and Hausa are similar in some words, so I'm sure Hausa could be confusing.
Just like English can be confusing for some.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by onyengbu: 8:09am On Aug 01, 2011
In all honesty, hausa must be easier cos I learnt if from our mai guard. Hausa language is mainly cut-and-join  grin .

Then there are hausa guys in my VILLAGE where any other language is rarely spoken; these guys have lived close to 30 years there yet, they cannot speak fluent igbo.

Could this be that non igbos have less interest in learning igbo?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by aljharem3: 8:49am On Aug 01, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

In all honesty, hausa must be easier cos I learnt if from our mai guard. Hausa language is mainly cut-and-join  grin .

Then there are hausa guys in my VILLAGE where any other language is rarely spoken; these guys have lived close to 30 years there yet, they cannot speak fluent igbo.

nah I am not igbo but really interested in learning the igbo language. I have started for 3 months now and i must say it is difficult but it all depends on your determination to know the language

Onlytruth and Chyz are doing a good at that
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 9:08am On Aug 01, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

You hit the nail on the head. Interest is the word. Some of these folks that complain that Igbo is hard are only too lazy and have shown little or no interest at all. I keep saying Igbo is a very sweet sounding language, especially Anambra dialects.

I've met an Hausa guy that taught me more Igbo. He lived most of his life in somewhere in Anambra because he spoke like one of them.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Gbenge77(m): 11:05am On Aug 01, 2011
Hausa.Hausa.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by naijangel7(f): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba is easier to learn, then comes Hausa because Yoruba and Hausa have similar words. Igbo is harder, it's like learning Hebrew, their ancestral's language.

Ancestral wetin? Source, please!!!

@Topic, Hausa is the easiest Nigerian language to learn.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by mkmyers45(m): 6:38pm On Aug 01, 2011
Actually Hausa is very easy, easy to catch and not many variants of it but Igbo has a lot of variants over 40
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^
There is a main form of Igbo called "Central Igbo" why not learn that if you cant pick up a dialect? Besides, most of you that are complaining that Igbo is hard are nowhere in Igboland or the East for that matter. If you spend a year in a town like Owerre or Porth-Hardcourt you will surely learn Igbo. As for the variants, they are all very similar 95% of it is similar its just that some people have unique words for saying somewords.

For example, in my dialect, we borrow a select few of our words from Ibibio like perriwinkle. The Igbo word for perriwinkle is "mfi" while in Arochukwu some of us call it "isam" which is Ibibio for perriwinkle. But nevertheless, we also understand central Igbo and our own dialect.
Here is an example  of central Igbo and dialect Igbo:

Where are you going?/b]
central Igbo:  "[b]Kedu ebe ina aga"

Arochukwu variant: "Nda ebe igaje"
Another variant: "Eye k'igaje"
Any 5 year old Igbo child will hear all of these dialects seamlessly.[/b]
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by kingokeyze(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2011
yes ,,,,,,,,,, i like dat, in short ,,,,,,,, i hav statin luvin u right now wink smiley

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by kingokeyze(m): 7:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
there is talent in igbo dan ausa grin embarassed
igbo=bia cool
ausa=zooooooooo shocked angry cry
2 bad are u tokin 2 a cow lipsrsealed
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by dempeople(m): 8:17pm On Aug 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Whose ancestors? You amused me. Ndiigbo do not trace their ancestral origin to Israel instead, its possible they descended from us.

otapiapia:

You hit the nail on the head. Interest is the word. Some of these folks that complain that Igbo is hard are only too lazy and have shown little or no interest at all. I keep saying Igbo is a very sweet sounding language, especially Anambra dialects.

I've met an Hausa guy that taught me more Igbo. He lived most of his life in somewhere in Anambra because he spoke like one of them.

Otapiapia, are you from Anambra? I'm an Anambrarian but also think Imo dialect is sweet like Anambra's Igbo. I also like Abia dialect.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2011
Bia, which one is Abia dialect?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by dempeople(m): 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
^^^^

Mu ka i na akpozi "bia"? Nsogbu dikwa.

Anyways, I should've been more specific aboout which dialect.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 9:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
Heehee. grin
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by guonno: 1:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
I think hausa is easier because you find few english speaking hausa people in the north, therefore you are compelled to learn or risk being misunderstood.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Fulaman198(m): 11:27am On Jun 25, 2012
guonno: I think hausa is easier because you find few english speaking hausa people in the north, therefore you are compelled to learn or risk being misunderstood.

It is not that Hausa can not speak English, it is that Hausa believe in their own tradition and keeping to their culture more rather than adopting a Westernized culture like Igbos do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sanusi & Kukah Meet Archbishop Of Canterbury In Italy(pics) / Thunder Bolt (Magun): Myth Or Reality? / Elebuibon Chides Emir Sulu-Gambari For Stopping Isese Festival In Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.