Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,838 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? (3842 Views)

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / Happy Sunday: Is Having Sex As Couple Before Going To Church Godly Or Ungodly? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by iluvnet(m): 4:59pm On Jul 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just want to ask whether it is a sin if you don't go to church whenever it rains heavily as it has been doing early Sunday morning. Some Pastors are of the view that you are either not committed or backsliding for not coming to church when it rains.

When I talk of rain, am not talking of light rain, but referring to heavy rain that disrupts movement. I have been in a situation where a pastor castigated members for not coming to bible study because it rained. He told them they are backsliding and are no longer committed. I simply laughed because if they even want to come, they can't because they can't get bus or okada to carry them except they can pay lots of money.

What do you think?
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2011
Forget about heavy rain. What about tsunami or monster earthquake? Is it a sin to go to the pastors' shrines while that is going on? grin
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by obowunmi(m): 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2011
who are the Pastors to judge you. Is your safety not more important ? Pastors are not God, so follow your conscience instead.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by KunleOshob(m): 5:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
Even if it doesn't rain it is not a sin not to go to church. It's is not compulsary for christians to attend church all the time, though it is advisable they do to aid their christian growth and fellowship with other believers.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by iluvnet(m): 5:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
KunleOshob:

Even if it doesn't rain it is not a sin not to go to church. It's is not compulsary for christians to attend church all the time, though it is advisable they do to aid their christian growth and fellowship with other believers.

But some Christians will say that Heb 10:25 says we should not forsake the assembly of believers even though the same verse did not say that it is a sin when you don't go for some reasons such as heavy rain.

I simply laughed when the Pastor said we have backslidden. At least we showed up the following Sunday when it did not rain. I just can't help but laugh. May God deliver us from distorted misinterpretation of some pastors who wants us to believe that they are the one that determine our entrance to heaven.

On a second note, are some (I want to stress some because not all) pastor's not thinking of drop in earnings on those days when people fail to turn up in church as a result of rain.  shocked May God help us all.

Thanks everyone for your reply.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by KunleOshob(m): 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
Hebrews 10:25 is basically an advise/admonition and NOT a commandment but some pastors would still use the verse to manipulating members to thinking it is a commandment. That aside assembly of believers is not necessarily the church as we know it, it could just be a gathering of a few believers in fellowship.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by Joagbaje(m): 7:10pm On Jul 11, 2011
There are certain peculiar situations where there seem to be a challenge . Or hindrance to attending a service which will make a man umpn avoidable absent in church. It ranges from Natural ,vocational ,academically situations which can't be avoided . A man on the rig for 2weeks can't jump into the sea to swim to church. The major thing is to ensure that you explore every opportunity to be in church . But when it rains. There are several options. Walking under the rain with umbrela. Pray and wait for rain to subside. This has worked for me many years ago. Rain never stopped me. When i pray. I always get a period of break when rain will subside. It could be for 30 min or so. Well that's me. Rain coat is an option.

There's always a way. Take a taxi drop if you can afford it. Bit don't miss church service for flimsy reasons

Hebrews 10:25
25 Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by mabell: 7:31pm On Jul 11, 2011
@poster, will it be a sin if your child is dying and you stay back in the house rather than go to the hospital because it is raining.
Get a grip please
KunleOshob:

Hebrews 10:25 is basically an advise/admonition and NOT a commandment but some pastors would still use the verse to manipulating members to thinking it is a commandment. That aside assembly of believers is not necessarily the church as we know it, it could just be a gathering of a few believers in fellowship.

Ok, so this gathering of few believers is called a church right, so what if this few believers grow larger, what should then happen, they should stop gathering abi?
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by Image123(m): 9:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
@OP
It depends on the heart and motive. Like someone said, if a child was sick and it was raining in same intensity. Or if it was raining and its a work day, or exam day. Jesus may still very well ask, do you love me more than these. It borders on your love. Love has to be there. If you enter fire to get to church and have no love for God, its pretty useless as well. Let your decisions be in love and faith, so that God will always be glorified.
Also if you're accused on backsliding, you should examine your past. Did you use to come to church despite such rain intensity in the past? If your graph is going down, maybe he may be right. You may truly be backsliding, and its a clarion call for you to retrace your steps, not just laugh. Anybody can backslide. If its not so, you can grow in commitment, yes? And if the situation is impossible, you can wait behind and see your pastor and maybe explain situations better to him.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by Joagbaje(m): 9:33pm On Jul 11, 2011
mabell:

@poster, will it be a sin if your child is dying and you stay back in the house rather than go to the hospital because it is raining.

Wao mabel, what a good kuesion. grin
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by nlMediator: 1:49am On Jul 12, 2011
^^^

It's a good question but don't you think we're taking things too far? Where does the comparison stop? If Brother A asks Sister B for money and Sister B doesn't have it and tells him so, his response? If your child is sick, won't you find the money to save her: so, go look for the money and give me. I encourage people to go to church, even when it is not very convenient. I still remember, with joy, occasions I went to church in the rain or in un-ironed wet clothes because of NEPA as it was known then. But it doesn't mean I'd encourage somebody to take a huge risk, e.g., passing a street where she's likely to be raped, because if her daughter is sick, she wouldn't think twice about passing that same street to save the daughter. Going to church is important. But it is even more important to know Jesus for ourselves. At which point, you can have church anywhere you are, any time. The church needs to dial back about making people feel guilty to do what pleases the pastor, whether it's contributing money or showing up for church events.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by Joagbaje(m): 2:19am On Jul 12, 2011
nlMediator:

Going to church is important. But it is even more important to know Jesus for ourselves.

I agree with you 100%

At which point, you can have church anywhere you are, any time.

Yes ,but That should not supplant going to church. Praying at home orvin the toilet should nit take the place or church services.

The church needs to dial back about making people feel guilty to do what pleases the pastor, whether it's contributing money or showing up for church events.
I don't think anyone has done that here. Admonition and encouragement is not a seed for guilt. It is to provoke unto good work

Hebrews 10:24-25
24 And let us . . provoke unto love and to good works: 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

This is why some ministries have several branches almost on every street just to make it possible that rain or transportation will not hinder anybody from attending service. Yet critics will still complain at that and read their own carnal meaning into such an idea.
Re: When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church? by mabell: 10:43am On Jul 12, 2011
nlMediator:

^^^But it is even more important to know Jesus for ourselves. At which point, you can have church anywhere you are, any time. The church needs to dial back about making people feel guilty to do what pleases the pastor, whether it's contributing money or showing up for church events.

my going to church has nothing to do with the pastor
with or without my presence, the church will continue
going to church rather is born out of the love of God , that love that propels you to do what you ordinarily wouldn’t have done
going to church is to fellowship with God and the brethren
going to church is for me to increase my knowledge in the things of GOD
going to church is for service unto God

(1) (Reply)

End-time Bible Teaching: Why We Must Watch / Sign Fireman Salvation And Miracles Crusade At Ejigbo Stadium, Ejigbo, Lagos, Ni / Christians: Where Is Heaven Located?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.