Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri (8226 Views)

Photos Of Victims Of Maiduguri Bomb Blast / Professor Olayinka Is New VC Of University Of Ibadan / Scene Of Maiduguri Market Bombing (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by sonyvaio(f): 10:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
The militant Islamist sect, Boko Haram has forced the authorities of the University of Maiduguri to close the institution down indefinitely. The university announced the indefinite suspension of all academic activities with effect from tomorrow, July 12, 2011 pending the improvement of the security situation in the state.
A statement signed this afternoon by Ahmed Mohammed, Chief Information Officer of the University directed all students to vacate the campus tomorrow.
Street Journal found pout that the decision was arrived at after an emergency meeting of the school administration. Investigations also revealed that a letter has been sent to the school by the Boko Haram sect and it might have prompted the school’s closure. The letter allegedly instructed the authorities to shut the institution or risk being attacked.

The letter read in part “we give the school authorities till end of this month or before the beginning of Ramadan to release you all, if not something very bad will happen”. Though the authenticity of the letter cannot be verified, the University of Maiduguri authorities is not willing to take any chances.
In a statement also being circulated around Maiduguri, the sect has promised more attacks. They also dared the State Security Service saying “the local people love us, they support us and the locals will never betray us because they believe in our cause, SSS we are not far away from you. If you can get us, come for us. The banning of motor cycles in Maiduguri and environs will not hinder or deter us.”

http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/07/boko-haram-closes-university-of-maiduguri/

Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by sonyvaio(f): 10:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
This might be the end of Nigeria as we know it!
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Obiagu1(m): 12:31am On Jul 12, 2011
Next ABU, Zaria.

As for me, this menace has come to stay and Nigerian government will definitely lose control of the Northern states like it is in Northern Pakistan or Southern Somalia.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by sonyvaio(f): 1:04am On Jul 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Next ABU, Zaria.

Nigerian government will definitely lose control of the Northern states

What is the difference between Boko Haram's demand and the implementation of Sharia law by Northern Governors during Obj's term?
It seems northern muslims have always wanted an islamization of the north, not in this way though.
Politics worked a little, violence might be more effective.
Boko Haram took a cue from MEND
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by ak47mann(m): 3:16am On Jul 12, 2011
i dey laughooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by aljharem3: 3:19am On Jul 12, 2011
@op

why did u call it boko haram state

has balysea state been called MEND state before or lagos an OPC state

angry angry angry
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by campbell05: 6:17am On Jul 12, 2011
Boko Haram hmmmm! You can imagine this people are serious.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 12, 2011
Hahahaha hohoho hihihi.

I laf in Boko Haram.

This is it!

"Say NO to Western Education"

Sai Boko Haram.

And graudally, the curtain draws for "One" Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 12, 2011
In 2005 I applied fo an academic job at unimaid and I was denied based on my ethnicity, I was furious then, but Im hapy and I tank God they denied me. He who laugh last,
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by dustydee: 8:54am On Jul 12, 2011
I suspect that the military is about to overrun that state hence they want students to leave to avoid unnecessary casualties.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2011
NYSC posted over 2000 youth corp members to Maiduguri! Is anybody really tnkng in this government?
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2011
I thought soldiers were deployed to kill these terrorists ?
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 12, 2011
this game is gettin serious by d minute! Damn!
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Palin: 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2011
My concern is this, why is the President silent about this menace going on in our country? A very good President supposed to at least come out openly and address this issue, so that we can know they are doing doing something about it. In developed countries the President or top government official with give a speech to show love and sympathy for the lives that have been lost so far, and also assuring its citizens that every mechanism are in place to curb this pain in the neck circumstance. They are all busy embezzling our money. God will punish all of them.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by olapluto(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
When BH strikes in Lagos, then things will never be the same in Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by apoti(m): 3:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
Palin:

My concern is this, why is the President silent about this menace going on in our country? A very good President supposed to at least come out openly and address this issue, so that we can know they are doing doing something about it. In developed countries the President or top government official with give a speech to show love and sympathy for the lives that have been lost so far, and also assuring its citizens that every mechanism are in place to curb this pain in the neck circumstance. They are all busy embezzling our money. God will punish all of them.

He is better off when he keeps quiet than when he speaks angry
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Mobsync(m): 3:35pm On Jul 12, 2011
I suspect that the military is about to overrun that state hence they want students to leave to avoid unnecessary casualties.

They killed some soldiers recently, their yam don done

Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Kx: 3:35pm On Jul 12, 2011
Has Boko Haram State been created already?
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by lekibaba: 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2011
dis game is getting so serious and deadly. may GOD help us, before boko haram reduce 9ja population by half.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
they can bomb their states for all i care,but the story MUST sound different the first day ,we SOUTH EASTERNERS witness any sign of bomb in our region
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by eyezgal(f): 3:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
i still wonder wht dis boko haram people want oooo. d FG should do something abt them fast. shocked sad angry
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by ProfJYK(m): 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
apoti:

He is better off when he keeps quiet than when he speaks  angry

really true o.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by slverspoon: 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2011
Something is really fishy about Boko Haram.

They say they do not want western style education, but where is the first place you'd expect them to bomb if they truly do not want western style education?  I would expect them to bomb  ABTI American University, but no, they ignore that area because it is owned by someone they know.
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by sadyeek(m): 3:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
Boko haram, why now? Were are looking to develop our country n societies, but this guys are draging us back to the stone ages!! Without education in this modern tym, its difficult to move forward, I fell instead of fighting against western education, they should fight for more islamic knowledge to be taught to the younger generation, they should fight for it to be part of the primary and secondary school curiculums, Were are the clerics and muslim leaders Why aren't they saying anything So sad wallah, Misplaced priority, is all I can say,

This is just IMO,
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by apoti(m): 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
Na wa for this country o  shocked

Bomb dey chase people for north, flood dey sweep people for south, Fulani dey terrorise for east, where we go come run go,  sad
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
apoti:

Na wa for this country o  shocked

Bomb dey chase people for north, flood dey sweep people for south, Fulani dey terrorise for east, where we go come run go,  sad

grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by hackney(m): 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2011
apoti:

Na wa for this country o shocked

Bomb dey chase people for north, flood dey sweep people for south, Fulani dey terrorise for east, where we go come run go, sad

The repercussion for the sinful selfishness and greed of the people is upon the land.
hear yee!
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2011
this is a total shame to fuc' ing nigeria security! so they give command and its been done! what nonsense is this! is borno or  the whole of north  upto liberia?  if the army claim to put a stop in liberia crisis why not borno?  this is an insult! total insult! that means if a member of bokoharam comes into my house and demand anything even my wife then so be it! ! OMG! angry angry
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2011
hackney:

The repercussion for the sinful selfishness and greed of the people is upon the land.
hear yee!

Tell that to the politicians !
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by onwai1(m): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2011
Boka ha-ram).chai this gangsters are really serious on this
Re: Boko Haram Forced the Closure of University Of Maiduguri by Iysayah(m): 4:38pm On Jul 12, 2011
I am kinda confused with what this group wants, blowing up pubs without warning yet seem to communicate perfectly , as it were, to the school to prevent death that could involve students, arent they about something? And really shouldn't GEJ come out to say something? trying to disregard them by silence is not a good option now, who is his adviser on security anyway,  he needs talk and act now.

sonyvaio:

The militant Islamist sect, Boko Haram has forced the authorities of the University of Maiduguri to close the institution down indefinitely. The university announced the indefinite suspension of all academic activities with effect from tomorrow, July 12, 2011 pending the improvement of the security situation in the state.
A statement signed this afternoon by Ahmed Mohammed, Chief Information Officer of the University directed all students to vacate the campus tomorrow.
Street Journal found pout that the decision was arrived at after an emergency meeting of the school administration. Investigations also revealed that a letter has been sent to the school by the Boko Haram sect and it might have prompted the school’s closure. The letter allegedly instructed the authorities to shut the institution or risk being attacked.

The letter read in part “we give the school authorities till end of this month or before the beginning of Ramadan to release you all, if not something very bad will happen”. Though the authenticity of the letter cannot be verified, the University of Maiduguri authorities is not willing to take any chances.
In a statement also being circulated around Maiduguri, the sect has promised more attacks. They also dared the State Security Service saying “the local people love us, they support us and the locals will never betray us because they believe in our cause, SSS we are not far away from you. If you can get us, come for us. The banning of motor cycles in Maiduguri and environs will not hinder or deter us.”

http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/07/boko-haram-closes-university-of-maiduguri/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Might Be Unable To Finance 2013 Budget / See What Israeli Prime Minister And Iran Leader Tweets After US IRAN Deal / Senate Confirms 15 Resident Electoral Commissioners, 12 Others Pending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.