Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,403 members, 7,781,160 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:05 AM

Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert (5001 Views)

Flood After Rain In Awka Anambra State Capital-pictures / Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Dotman01(m): 1:29am On Jul 14, 2011
The Nigerian Institute for
Oceanography and Marine Research
(NIOMR) has said the 264-millimetre
rainfall recorded in Lagos last Sunday
was the volume expected for one
month.
An Assistant Director in the institute, Dr
Regina Folorunsho, made this known
in a telephone interview with the
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in
Abuja.
“The exact amount of the rain that fell
on Sunday was meant for one month,
but we had it in just one day. There
was no way anyone could have
prepared for such amount of rainfall,”
she said.
She said Nigerians should brace up
and be on the alert for such
occurrence.
Mrs. Folorunsho appealed to Lagos
residents to curb indiscriminate
dumping of refuse into drains.
She urged them to clear their drains
regularly to ensure easy flow of water
whenever it rained.
She attributed heavy rainfall to the
effects of climate change and advised
Lagosians, whose houses were
located in waterlogged areas, to
relocate to other areas.
“People should start relocating now
because this is what we will be seeing
from time to time; so people living
close to the ocean must be prepared
to face the menace,’’ she said.
NIOMR is responsibile for conducting
research into the resources and
physical characteristics of the Nigerian
territorial waters and the high seas,
among other functions.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Dotman01(m): 1:30am On Jul 14, 2011
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by tpia5: 1:35am On Jul 14, 2011
Its risky living in a flood zone.

Unfortunately a lot of people will find it hard to do so, for financial reasons, but i'm not sure there's a way around this during the rainy season.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by kilowa: 4:57am On Jul 14, 2011
The Best Solution is For Large Number Of People to move away from Lagos to Ogun State

As it will be another story if Osun/Ogun River Dam is open

But really Many people will not take to this advice until water spoil their Property

Well I am giving everyone that have interest 1 plot Free in Ogun -State

just 35 minutes Drive from Lagos,

15minutes drive from Redeem camp,

45minutes drive to V I

The crowd is too much in Lagos ,

No space for drainage

check me out

http://www.nairalist.com/lagos/services/10701/do-not-sleep-with-two
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Reference(m): 5:22am On Jul 14, 2011
And her advice is the much sung 'refuse in drains' as the government's own hymn is 'building on canals'. For Lagos state to be building 3 feet by 3 feet drains in this time and age on major streets as we speak is simply foolhardy and asking for trouble. Flood control measures are simply inadequate. We've been told for ages now that the ocean WILL rise by another 30m in the next century. That means most of Lagos will experience persistent and more severe flooding.

This is coming at a time the city is expanding at a faster pace than ever before and instead of the silly government to act fast they are busy generating revenue by issuing permits for the reclamation and development of wet lands - the only naturally occuring sponges left. When they are all paved over let me see where all the water will go. Perhaps to the Atlantic (the lagoon is being reclaimed from all sides)  through their 3 x 3 feet gutters. I laugh.

Just 3 kilometers from Alausa right under the governments nose Isheri is being reclaimed legally - news headlines of tommorrow. In the back end of the Ogba/Agege axis houses have been built right down into a canyon the depth of which you'd think you were in an aircraft flying overhead. Some have legal documents. Tell me which drain will command water to flow upwards. You might as well live in a bath tub. All around LASU on the Badagry axis you see houses with roofs below bridges, culverts and drains and you just wonder who in his right mind will pay good money to live there.

I just think goverment has to be proactive in its urban planning regulations. The spread is enough. Its time to go up, bigger buildings not sprawling ones. Private, corporate and public development has to be consolidated. Lets be realistic we live in houses far too big for most of us and I'm not talking about a room or a compound but the cost of the surrounding infrastructure. Lagos is terribly congested. Build or rent what you need not what you want.

On a personal level if a man has an alternative location outside Lagos where the family can be packed, stacked and racked, take it. The penalty is gradually becoming unpayable.

Finally if you are buying or renting it may be useful to take along a GPS. Most good phones have one. If the location us anywhere below 15m the vendor should give you a good reason why you shouldn't konk his head. Its crazy. Or like someone humorously said on radio as we all instal burglar bars and razor wire and sometimes fire extinguishers perhaps the standard requirement for landlord will be to provide lifejackets in the home. So when it starts to rain someone blows a whistle and everyone dashes for the locker. And perhaps in up market island lets a jet ski may suffice to get big man out to work where his SUV just can't.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Joachindelight: 5:26am On Jul 14, 2011
God pls help ur ppl of nigeria
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by mkpologwu(m): 6:37am On Jul 14, 2011
Fashola is WeaKed! He called on the babalawos/rain makers to bring this rain so that pple will be carried off away frm Lagos. This de-congestion plan will not force me out of Lagos, instead I will increase the height of my pako foundation at my lagoon resident, Ebute Metta East.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by eros(m): 8:25am On Jul 14, 2011
I don't envy Lekki, V.I. and Ikoyi residents anymore.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Dotman01(m): 8:59am On Jul 14, 2011
eros:

. . .lol
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 14, 2011
l
eros:

Why envy people who work harder and get richer than you ? You really dont wanna be rich you supposed to know that to climb a tree, you need to learn from the monkeys. I live in VI and I didnt have flood on my street.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Sike(m): 9:29am On Jul 14, 2011
Dont Count your chicks untill they're hatched. It is still just a day, why not wait till the end before sumarizing.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by chuckdee4(m): 9:33am On Jul 14, 2011
LeoMax:

l Why envy people who work harder and get richer than you ? You really dont wanna be rich you supposed to know that to climb a tree, you need to learn from the monkeys. I live in VI and I didnt have flood on my street.

So people who don't live on the island are all poor lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by russellino: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2011
Reference:

And her advice is the much sung 'refuse in drains' as the government's own hymn is 'building on canals'. For Lagos state to be building 3 feet by 3 feet drains in this time and age on major streets as we speak is simply foolhardy and asking for trouble. Flood control measures are simply inadequate. We've been told for ages now that the ocean WILL rise by another 30m in the next century. That means most of Lagos will experience persistent and more severe flooding.

This is coming at a time the city is expanding at a faster pace than ever before and instead of the silly government to act fast they are busy generating revenue by issuing permits for the reclamation and development of wet lands - the only naturally occuring sponges left. When they are all paved over let me see where all the water will go. Perhaps to the Atlantic (the lagoon is being reclaimed from all sides) through their 3 x 3 feet gutters. I laugh.

Just 3 kilometers from Alausa right under the governments nose Isheri is being reclaimed legally - news headlines of tommorrow. In the back end of the Ogba/Agege axis houses have been built right down into a canyon the depth of which you'd think you were in an aircraft flying overhead. Some have legal documents. Tell me which drain will command water to flow upwards. You might as well live in a bath tub. All around LASU on the Badagry axis you see houses with roofs below bridges, culverts and drains and you just wonder who in his right mind will pay good money to live there.

I just think goverment has to be proactive in its urban planning regulations. The spread is enough. Its time to go up, bigger buildings not sprawling ones. Private, corporate and public development has to be consolidated. Lets be realistic we live in houses far too big for most of us and I'm not talking about a room or a compound but the cost of the surrounding infrastructure. Lagos is terribly congested. Build or rent what you need not what you want.

On a personal level if a man has an alternative location outside Lagos where the family can be packed, stacked and racked, take it. The penalty is gradually becoming unpayable.

Finally if you are buying or renting it may be useful to take along a GPS. Most good phones have one. If the location us anywhere below 15m the vendor should give you a good reason why you shouldn't konk his head. Its crazy. Or like someone humorously said on radio as we all instal burglar bars and razor wire and sometimes fire extinguishers perhaps the standard requirement for landlord will be to provide lifejackets in the home. So when it starts to rain someone blows a whistle and everyone dashes for the locker. And perhaps in up market island lets a jet ski may suffice to get big man out to work where his SUV just can't.

Thanks. I got a lot from this
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by atasteve: 9:52am On Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, I agree because the rain was too much but be as it may I will advise government to intensify efforts to construct more drainage.

The bulk of the work rest on us, the citizens, if you see the way refuse is being disposed in some neighbourhoods even in the elite neighbourhood; you will be shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by firestar(f): 10:10am On Jul 14, 2011
Reference:

This is coming at a time the city is expanding at a faster pace than ever before and instead of the silly government to act fast they are busy generating revenue by issuing permits for the reclamation and development of wet lands - the only naturally occuring sponges left. When they are all paved over let me see where all the water will go. Perhaps to the Atlantic (the lagoon is being reclaimed from all sides)  through their 3 x 3 feet gutters. I laugh.

Word. cool
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by seguno2: 10:18am On Jul 14, 2011
chuckdee4:

So people who don't live on the island are all poor lipsrsealed

Abeg helep me ask am again oh people wey dey suffer from complexities!

Reference:

Thanks for a brilliant post.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by sley4life(m): 11:16am On Jul 14, 2011
he should provide us with records he has how many mm of rain fell on said day
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 14, 2011
[size=15pt]I am presently not in Lagos but the situation looks really bad.[/size]
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by emenim(m): 12:12pm On Jul 14, 2011
Actually i do not see this as an issue because, what else can you expect in a raining season, in europe what do they expect during the winter season - of course it should not be anything different from snow.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Gbenge77(m): 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2011
Thats an unusual occurence.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by MMM2(m): 12:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
Welcome 2 eko.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Tolulop001(f): 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2011
emenim:

Actually i do not see this as an issue because, what else can you expect in a raining season, in europe what do they expect during the winter season - of course it should not be anything different from snow.

its obvious that you were not in Lagos when the rains occured.

Reference:

this guy i have followed your posts on NL and u always make sense. 3 gbosa for u smiley
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Wallie(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2011
There is no way the government could have planned for 264mm (10.4 inches) of rainfall in one day when the normal average per month is 136mm (5.4 inches). For comparison, the average rainfall in a month for the DC area is 92.96mm (3.7 inches).

The only thing better and unclogged drainage would have done is to drain the flood water faster assuming that the ocean and lagoons have not risen higher than the land, which will make water flow backwards through the tributaries.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Kobojunkie: 1:21pm On Jul 14, 2011
One more reason why Lagos needs a functioning drainage system like yesterday . .
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Yinkay: 1:34pm On Jul 14, 2011
Where are those NIMET people before the rain.? NIgerian Meteorological Agency. why didn't they warn the government and Lagosians or what is their function?
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by EkoIle1: 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2011
I see Lagos state setting up it's own weather monitoring office in the nearest future.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by AjanleKoko: 2:16pm On Jul 14, 2011
Dotman01:

The Nigerian Institute for
Oceanography and Marine Research
(NIOMR) has said the 264-millimetre
rainfall recorded in Lagos last Sunday
was the volume expected for one
month.

Would be nice if you could provide some stats, doc missus undecided
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by tit(f): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
Wallie:

There is no way the government could have planned for 264mm (10.4 inches) of rainfall in one day when the normal average per month is 136mm (5.4 inches). For comparison, the average rainfall in a month for the DC area is 92.96mm (3.7 inches).

The only thing better and unclogged drainage would have done is to drain the flood water faster assuming that the ocean and lagoons have not risen higher than the land, which will make water flow backwards through the tributaries.

the reason for monitoring rainfall is so govt agencies can plan for worst case scenarios.
if we have had 264mm of rainfall in the past 50 years (or since intelligent life came to lagos) then LASG has no excuse for this disaster.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by hbrednic: 2:53pm On Jul 14, 2011
one month rain in one day, is that so
it should be rainning in ogun state to clean up the dirty place.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by colane(m): 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2011
it now high time all landlords and land owner understand the topographical structure of there land.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by CuteTj(m): 7:07pm On Jul 14, 2011
The rain on sunday was ''Showers of Blessing''. It just ended up being a disaster for some people. For those that lost people and their properties, SORRY for the loss.
Re: Lagos Records One Month Rain In One Day, Says Expert by Wallie(m): 9:34pm On Jul 14, 2011
tit:

the reason for monitoring rainfall is so govt agencies can plan for worst case scenarios.
if we have had 264mm of rainfall in the past 50 years (or since intelligent life came to lagos) then LASG has no excuse for this disaster.

…since “intelligent life came to Lagos”?  Do you expect them to have a plan that they can afford for something that happens once every few hundred years? If I’m not mistaken, I think most places in the West plan for 100-year-type scenario

Notwithstanding, I do agree that they need to plan for a “reasonable” worst case scenario.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Will You Spend Your Independence Day / Who Killed Isaac Adaka Boro? / Tinubu Declines PMB Invitation To Escort Him To The US.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.