Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? (10395 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always / KNOW YOUR VEHICLE-STOLEN OR SALVAGED? CAVEAT EMPTOR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by SimonTemp(m): 10:34am On Jul 15, 2011
Siena:

You were happy to have your car stolen, just because your car stereo wasn't working? How much is a car radio, versus the cost of a 1995 Toyota Corolla?

I think he meant the stereo not the car.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by blank(f): 10:36am On Jul 15, 2011
Haba, oga Siena. He clearly said the radio of the car was stolen not the car itself.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by fkadeniyi(m): 11:30am On Jul 15, 2011
My car was just a month, i was coming from office, stop by to buy provision from nearby Karu motor park, i removed money under my driver seat paid for the items,move to a pharmacy shop behind Blooming chicken fast food, enter the shop to buy drugs for my child, before getting out , my driver side door has been opened and the money under my seat totalling 81k has disappeared withing 2 minutes. I was first confused but later take courage and drive home. Bad experience indeed.ss
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by SimonTemp(m): 11:37am On Jul 15, 2011
Woke up one morning to find my car stereo gone. The door was neatly opened, the thief must have used a master key. Found out later that about 2 other cars were hit on the street.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by PBundles(m): 11:37am On Jul 15, 2011
igbsam:

I was double crossed at gun point with 5 car robbers surrounding me ordering me to get down along lagos abeokuta express way, Not knowing wat to do, i didn't know where the boldness came, hoping to see how active my v6 engine is, I put the car on reverse crushing the robber standing at the back of my car cos he was caught unaware. I drove in reverse for like 10secs before putting it on drive directly facing the ones in the front. The shot at me, but cos i was approaching them with speed, they were unable to aim straight at me, while jumping off the road. I crushed the leg of another one, and the zoomed of. I didn't drive home straight, rather drove to the police station and kept my car there for like a week in order to clear my tracks. It was an experience i would never forget.

(THE JAMES BOND MELODY KICKS IN) his name is Bsam, IG Bsam. Dude you must have more than one liver, I swear.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by PBundles(m): 11:47am On Jul 15, 2011
Siena:

I've had one experience of attempted theft.

I got to my car, which was parked in Ridley market, Dalston, back in 1992. Only to find a lowlife scumbag trying to hot-wire my ride. He'd ripped the steering cowling off, and was trying to bypass my home-brewed immobiliser. I narrowly escaped doing jail time, after a brief, ferocious scuffle, which ended up with him having a badly broken right leg. It had to be amputated, just below the right knee. I only realised how bad I'd hurt him, when we were both in court, three months later. At the time, I thought it was just a flesh wound.

I felt bad for a short while, especially as he was 18-years-old at the time, but then thought, to hell with him. He was the criminal, and I was the one under scrutiny. I was lucky, I had good friends watching my back, and the supposed witness that claims he'd watched me break his leg, later changed his statement, which meant I got off.

Never had any more car theft, or attempted theft till date.

Let me guess this was in the UK or something. Cus only overseas can a thief switch up the charge and claim he was battered LOL. Something like that happened to a colleague in Amsterdam where stealing bikes is like normal business. When he saw his bike getting jacked, he dealt serious brushings out. I was like officer I saw it all, it was ll in self defense as the their had an object which I couldn't really see clearly. Must of thrown it away officer sir. You should have seen the guy staring at us when we gave the story. Black eye and all looking in astonishment like WTF. They believed us, we were in suits. We laughed for years about the story.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2011
^^^ Taosola, wrong thread. Please start one of your own, as an ADVERT, rather than derail this one, thank you.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by cchioke: 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
mine was traumatising,i woke up one morning sometimes in oct2010 to see that only chasis left of my rav4 2003,they totally skinned the car only chairs and chasis left,i felt so bad it took off me around 320k to come out of the shit,i now intrioduced 2 german dogs that cost me 35k each, but they were 2 months old then,after a week woke up one morning to discover that the dogs are no more,i was like men what kind of enviroment is this,i still moved on 2 weeks later my wife called me on phone around 5pm to intimate me that our stupid house girl allowed a stranger to come into our aprtment and convinced her that she was sent by my wife,any way to cut the long stories short her gold,trinkets bracelets choice clothings shoes laptop went with the pregnant stranger,immediatly i got home i relocted my family to anoda location the next morning, till i finally moved out of that shit in dec is traumatising
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 15, 2011
cchioke:

mine was traumatising,i woke up one morning sometimes in oct2010 to see that  only chasis left of my rav4 2003,they totally skinned the car only chairs and chasis left.

Jesus! You mean they unbolted the body shell, and left the chassis rails, seats, and presumably the engine and transmission?  shocked They must have had a lot of time to work then, most would steal the whole car, and strip it elsewhere.

Sorry about your loss.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by executinal(m): 2:12pm On Jul 15, 2011
Just wake up, saw my car battery missing. I was like if the criminal loses his life just because of car battery, what will his family say? embarassed embarassed
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by tEsLim(m): 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
@cchioke where did you lived ? SO that I can advice everybody I know not to every go live around there

Well one time, I was younger then going back home from a walk with my dad. He left the car parked outside the compound we where going back around 8pm , e be like say the car denzgy (wasn't balanced). And my dad was telling me / suggesting maybe he already had a flat tire. By the time we got there the car tyres have actually been stolen and replaced with wood (odo) to suspend it. lol , and he couldn't move it inside the compound then the next day or few days later it was the side mirrors.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by DeepSoul(f): 4:17pm On Jul 15, 2011

Was out with a friend and left my bag on floor in the back seat of his car.

Came out like an hour later, got into the car and left. Some minutes later, we noticed a breezy sound coming from behind. That was when we saw that the window had been broken into and my bag had been taken!

There was nothing valuable in the bag for them but I had valuable items taken - atm cards, ID cards, complimentary cards, wallet with some cash, spoilt phone with important numbers, flash drive etc etc.

Went to the police station the next day just to document the case (Incase my personal items are found at a crime scene or something) and I was told to PAY money to write a statement. Imagine. Pay money to report stolen money  cheesy

Anyways, this was just the first in a series of real robbery attacks that happened in following months. God dey save person.

MORAL: Never leave anything shiny or attractive in your car. Even 10 Naira can motivate them to break in.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by JeSoul(f): 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
Siena:

I've had one experience of attempted theft.

I got to my car, which was parked in Ridley market, Dalston, back in 1992. Only to find a lowlife scumbag trying to hot-wire my ride. He'd ripped the steering cowling off, and was trying to bypass my home-brewed immobiliser. I narrowly escaped doing jail time, after a brief, ferocious scuffle, which ended up with him having a badly broken right leg. It had to be amputated, just below the right knee. I only realised how bad I'd hurt him, when we were both in court, three months later. At the time, I thought it was just a flesh wound.

I felt bad for a short while, especially as he was 18-years-old at the time, but then thought, to hell with him. He was the criminal, and I was the one under scrutiny. I was lucky, I had good friends watching my back, and the supposed witness that claims he'd watched me break his leg, later changed his statement, which meant I got off.

Never had any more car theft, or attempted theft till date.

Dayum Siena! You are one bad ahrse dude sir lol.  grin I salute you top down left right. You should've broken the fingers he was using to hotwire your car too . . . taking you to court? shameless nonsense. That should teach that sucker a lesson to go and get a job rather than stealing other people's hard work. Gosh I cannot stand theives. Kudos to you big time Siena.

PBundles:

Let me guess this was in the UK or something. Cus only overseas can a thief switch up the charge and claim he was battered LOL. Something like that happened to a colleague in Amsterdam where stealing bikes is like normal business. When he saw his bike getting jacked, he dealt serious brushings out. I was like officer I saw it all, it was ll in self defense as the their had an object which I couldn't really see clearly. Must of thrown it away officer sir. You should have seen the guy staring at us when we gave the story. Black eye and all looking in astonishment like WTF. They believed us, we were in suits. We laughed for years about the story.
Abi oh, imagine. That's one thing I really hate about this side of the globe. One case like this is southern US, mexican drug dealers were suing a property owner for shooting them for trespassing/trying to steal at night on his own property. Sometimes western ways ehn, they defy common sense.

Never been carjacked. And going by the experiences narrated here, I hope that stays the same.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by SimonTemp(m): 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2011
Siena, pls i need your advice on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-714188.0.html#msg8723797
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by OperaMini1(m): 5:57pm On Jul 15, 2011
In 2005, i went to the Enugu Int'l Trade Fair with some friends, driving in my 86' Honda Accord. By the time i came out, i was tipsy because we were at the Guinness stand and they were doing a promo of 'buy 1 get one free'. What i met there made all the drinks i took clear out, one of my door glasses was broken, my car CD gone, my bag gone with my books and the MBA form form I just filled, waiting to submit on Monday. A guy brought the form to my office about a week later, claiming he picked it beside a stream close to that Ebeano Tunnel, though i was not in the office when he came.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 15, 2011
Deep Soul:

Went to the police station the next day just to document the case (Incase my personal items are found at a crime scene or something) and I was told to PAY money to write a statement. Imagine. Pay money to report stolen money  cheesy
Anyways, this was just the first in a series of real robbery attacks that happened in following months. God dey save person.

MORAL: Never leave anything shiny or attractive in your car. Even 10 Naira can motivate them to break in.

LMAO! grin grin grin I take it you didn't pay? Talk about throwing good money after bad! (literally).  cheesy
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by hilli666(m): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2011
I woke up to some kid breaking into my car that was parked right next to my bedroom window (Imagine the nerve). I went out with my Ruger LCP 380 automatic pistol.  He didn't know I was armed, when I confronted him he lunged at me, and I fired two shots one hit him in his on his thigh and the other went through  his upper hip (obviously I wasn't trying to kill him). He begged me to call the police and the paramedic, he thought he was going to die (Any ways the neighbours beet me to it). The cops arrived and arrested him, and took me to the station to give my statements good thing I have a permit to carry a weapon. Now the bastard is trying to sue me. I should have aimed a Lil higher (freaking slowpoke) justifiable homocide.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by 5p1naz(m): 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2011
[size=14pt]this stories are scary and amusing at the same time especially the guy wif the discouraging pictures. . . omo naija don spoil ooo. . . i dunno if i'd even go there again. . . [/size]
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 2:15am On Jul 16, 2011
sometime last year, some jackass moved into the close. the next thing side mirrors etc started diappearing

everyone knew exactly who it was, but our close security is useless and phcn wasnt helping matters

one morning i find that someone has attempted to remove the grille of my 2001  hilux. fortunately, the guard stopped the guy

some weeks later, i drove to a filling station the next thing they told me your gas cap is gone. the gs cap had a key that i used intermittently - i mean wtf?

the guy died and the thefts of car parts stopped

February this year heavy rain tincan island. complete standstill.

four thugs come out and start going from car to car - common occurenec on apapa oshodi expressway during holdups

they come to may car - wave something in a bag, say its a gun, open your door. where is the money!!! where is the laptop

i ignore them - gun - if they had a gun, they would show it.

they commence hitting the passenger side window.eventually it caves in. they try t open the door. no dice.they reach through the window and rifle through the love box.

nothing.

they come to my side, repeat the order to open the door. i continue  ignoring them. they eventually smash that window. glass flies everywher and there is a cut in my forehead. they are still unable to open the door, so they content themselves with ripping off my wristwatch and rifling through my empty bosom pocket

its still raining, my windows are broken, its 9.30 pm. the go slow is forever. i eventually get home at 12.30 am.

there's a  death in the extended family of one of my neighbours. all sorts of charcters pour in. something about inhritance. i already know thre will be some nefarious fellows among them.

my wife's corolla, outside our compound, one morning we find the small window on a rear door broken. the thief took the brain box. i keep saying it. i need to move to a more upscale neighborhood. festac is a slum, and there are to put it mildly too many characters in my neeighbourhood ho you would not want as neighbours

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by lastpage: 3:03am On Jul 16, 2011
How do you stop yourself laughing at half-three am, in the night?
This thread funny and "wicked" no be small! grin

My story:
Bought a V-Boot some decades back and took it home same day; culvert to my home cant carry weight of the car and have to leave it on road-side overnight! Between changing my shirt and having a quick bath (10mins max) front grill was yanked-off! I nearly collapse! (My Mum was suposed to "admire" the car the following day!

Same car, coming from work along Osborne Rd, ikoyi, trying to link 3rd mainland.
As usual, close of work traffic was a crawl around 6:30pm.
Three guys came with hammer and that "smallish, fish-cutlass"! I refused to open the doors.

They broke my rear side-window and attacked one of my two female colleagues, sitting at the back seat!
(Lesson here: always carry at least one male colleague, if you drive in hold-ups on the way home! wink )

My sanity snapped when l looked back and saw blood on 'her' head (smashed a hammer into her skull!).
I switched off engine, took Pliers from my glove and went to confront them.
I was just hacking away and could hear 'crushing bone' each time l swung the Pliers.
Threw one overboard into the swamp just before that White Sand estate.
The Other two fled and l discovered that one of my ears was dangling and precariously attached to my head!

I carry my "souvenir ear" till today but it "reduced my 'humanity and respect for the blood of others', a wee bit"!
I wish it did not happen and l wish l did not have to do it.

BTW: Lagosians are cruel peeps! In all, the fight that lasted at least ten minutes, in heavy traffic, not one single soul came down from their car to assist me! angry angry
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 16, 2011
Wow. Some pretty scary stories here. I've never witnessed a car-jacking. I doubt I'd remain idle, unless the car-jackers were armed. I'd get out and render assistance. In Nigeria, people seldom get involved, even if the affected person is a brother, friend or neighbour.

Yet they'll get involved in a public lynching, bizarre!

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Pweety4me(f): 8:46am On Jul 16, 2011
^Anything can happen in 9ja undecided

Mr Browness but how u take do so much damage to that guys legs man?to the point of it having to be amputated dayumm  shocked
lipsrsealed
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 16, 2011
Siena:

Wow. Some pretty scary stories here. I've never witnessed a car-jacking. I doubt I'd remain idle, unless the car-jackers were armed. I'd get out and render assistance. In Nigeria, people seldom get involved, even if the affected person is a brother, friend or neighbour.

Yet they'll get involved in a public lynching, bizarre!

My brother, anything can happen o
for 3 years, av been driving unregistered cars around lagos without problems, even to the point of bragging with it
when this happened, my liver failed me.

@topic, when it happens, the police station is the last place to go, go there only if u want to document it or if u know who may be involved
Never ever in Nigeria assume that "the police is your friend"

They will never be, what u watch in Nigerian movie where u see one Pa Kasumu in police uniform saying "police is your friend" is far from reality.
after i got robbed, i had to pay a "mobilization fee" of N5000, "u know we go fuel car etc"
i begged the IPO to take N2000, that is less than an hour i lost my car and everything in it, after then, i have had to part away with more with no result
dont let them buy u with the "we will radio it" shait, shey na officer we dey road block they harvest twenty naira u wan radio wey go answer u?
i will soon start uploading their a, ss on youtube. let me finish my project.

trust me, if i dey drive, and an i.diot dress in black wan stop me say wey my particulars
i fit clear am for road. if na thief, good, if na police, not bad, to me, they are cousins, better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 16, 2011
seun, what is wrong, can't i just type without it being modified without my consent?
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by stagger: 9:42am On Jul 16, 2011
I have never had a personal experience. But once I dey with my Chairman wey be Air Force officer. We dey traffic and some hoodlums rushed us. The first unlucky b.astard who came to the driver's side took the full face impact of a slug from my chairman's pistol.

The others took off and left their obviously very dead colleague on the road. Made me consider joining the military. I may still do it next year. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Pweety4me(f): 9:53am On Jul 16, 2011
sledjama:

seun, what is wrong, can't i just type without it being modified without my consent?
Lol take heart tongue
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by mastro: 10:52am On Jul 16, 2011
Back in the day (1995) in London, I used to have a Golf GTI Mark 2, Oak Green, 5 door, all singing dancing stereo, it was the dog danglies, my pride and joy.

Anyhow, went off to work one day, got back late, about 10ish walking into my close, looks like my car is sitting lower, it was, it was on bricks, long story short, car was wriiten off as the original VW alloys were £800 each, insurance paid out £4500, if I know back then what I know now, I would have brought it off them for scrap value and bunged on a set if 3 spoke alloys (hey it was mid 90's, 3 spoke alloys were all the rage)

I really, really wish I still had that car.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 16, 2011
Pweety4me:

Mr Browness but how u take do so much damage to that guys legs man?to the point of it having to be amputated dayumm  shocked lipsrsealed

I went shopping with my then girlfriend, in Ridle market, Dalston. It was a Saturday, and I parked my '88 Audi Coupe Quattro in the carpark.

An hour later, laden with shopping, we began our walk back to my car. I spotted my driver's door was open, and a man's leg was sticking out. My girlfriend also spotted him at the same time. I told her to push the shopping trolley to the nearby bus stop, and I'd join her shortly. She wasn't keen, but I insisted she left me to deal with our would-be car thief.

I casually walked up to my car, looking nonchalant. Our dialogue went as thus:

Siena: "You got car trouble bud?"
Thief: "Yeah, damn thing won't start."
Siena: "That's rough, can't stand cars myself, that's why I'm a bus / taxi man."
Thief: Hmmm. . .mmmm
Siena: Need any help?"
Thief: na, you're alright."
Siena: Okay, good luck getting her started."

I walked away, and our thief stuck his head back under the steering column, and resumed his attempts to get my car started by hot-wiring her. His right leg was still sticking out of the car, against the sill, and I just couldn't resist. . .

2 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 16, 2011
. . .I silently crept back to my car (our thief thought I'd gone) and slammed the driver's door with all my weight behind it. Our thief let out a high-pitched scream - I never knew a man could scream so loudly, it went right through me. Passers-by paused to stare, and I regretted my actions, but only for the briefest of moments. I had to get away, I was conscious of blood running from the bottom of my door, but I had to get it open. It meant leaning against the door, hard, to ease the pressure, before it would open. Our thief's screams reverberated in my head.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 16, 2011
I got the door open, dragged the sobbing teen out of my car, slammed the door, and prayed my ignition key would still fit. It did, I fired up my Quattro, roared out of that carpark, in which a crowd had started to gather, and headed for the bus stop, where my girlfriend was anxiously waiting. From her vantage point, she had no idea what had happened, and she failed to spot my damaged, blood-stained door. I yelled at her to get into the car, opened my trunk, and grabbing the shopping trolley, clumsily tipped the shopping into the luggage compartment. Eggs smashed, cans rolled underneath the car, and across the road, but I was oblivious. I just had to get away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help Me Choose Between 2008 Toyota Camry And 2008 BMW 523i / Honda"evil Spirit"is This Name Given By The Manufacturer Or Users? / The PAJERO Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.