Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Describe Your First Trip By Air - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Describe Your First Trip By Air (12637 Views)

Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air / * / Funny Experiences On Your First Trip To Naija After Being Abroad For A While (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Describe Your First Trip By Air by spora(m): 10:26am On Aug 09, 2007
I was on my way from Kano aboard Arik Air's CRJ900 Jet on Aug. 07 2007 when we suddenly encountered a mild air turbulence some 200km to MMA. There were some boys onboard apparently travelling by air for the first time. Did I pity them? That was an understatement. Some were shouting, wavering and one was actually throwing up. He was rushed to the convenience.

I could not but remember my first time in the air. Everything had been ok until I decided to ease myself. I had entered the convenience only observe that the place was shaking as if we were about to crash. What did I do? Your guess is as good as mine. I "picked" race. grin grin

The useless pee can wait for all I care.

Since this experience, I have continued to wonder why somebody will take up an appointment as air hostess. Many years after, I have not changed this impression. Anytime I am on air, I just look at them with pity. No amount of money can make me take up the appointment.

The truth is that I don’t envy air hostesses.

Nairalanders, how was your first time in the air.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Seun(m): 10:42am On Aug 09, 2007
You should pity drivers and conductors more, because airplanes hardly crash. Cars and bikes are always crashing.

See Also: Your First Day On A Plane

1 Like

Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Ultrame(m): 11:09am On Aug 09, 2007
my first time was actually in a chopper sometimes in 2005. i just got a job with an oil servicing firm, and its going to be my first time on a platform.

after attending all the HSE trainins i felt i was good to go. boarded the chopper and everything was ok untill the chopper was lifting up. i felt all the blood in me body kind of sinking into boots!

it felt nice initially, but not long after. i started puking all over the place ( i shouldnt have eaten so much!). all the guys started laughing at me. but luckily we had a health officer on board. she attended to me and told me i did even better than most first timers n i wondered what it would be like to encounter anything worse. plain hell!

i've since gotten over it and i always look forward to being in air.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by mimiko(f): 11:22am On Aug 09, 2007
my first time was really cool the air hosttess found my sis n I very cute i guess so she was sooooooo nice gave us all the candy and cookies on board but i couldnt help sticking out my neck to the window i remember vividly SHE told me if i dont stop looking down the plane ll go down omo i behaved n sat down peacefully in my seat! i pray to God that there wont be any more plane crash.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by familyman(m): 11:59am On Aug 09, 2007
my first time was as an adult. it was thrilling. i still love d take off n i think after that, d fun's over.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Umy: 12:23pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first time I didn’t feel anything cos I was told of the likely turbulence that I might experience, so I was relaxed, but from that day I knew that anything that has to do with air, you are on your own incase of any Yawa no where to run to
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by westsidema(f): 12:24pm On Aug 09, 2007
it was kool but though i was sick like about 1 week b4 i travel out from lagos with my dad and sisters. from lagos to eygpt to BK 2 manila.

and im plannin to go out to china and i hope i won't be sick in-order to enjoy my flight, lol
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by naijacutee(f): 12:39pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first flight must have been when I was about 5 or 6. . . It was a Lagos to Port-Harcourt flight with my mum and all I can remember is eating lots and lots of tasty meatpie and Fanta Chapman. (Does anyone remember Fanta Chapman?)
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by damoche07(m): 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
Cant but contribute to this post.My first day on an airplane was on a trip to Abuja. I prayed that day and left for the airport.I was determined not to be afraid but as soon as the plane was about to ascend i felt some kind of pressue on my head and i wondered what was happening. it was scary at first but i was so determined not to show fear.If i succeded is a question for the woman who sat beside me.i was enjoying the flight because i was by the window until we were near abuja airport and our plane(virgin nigeria) started to hover around the hills for some time.we were so close to the hills and the engines kept changing sound up in the air.I told myself i was sure i wont perish that day.The woman beside me was a muslim and i don't think i av seen anybody clutch that their rosary like chain before.It wasnt funny until we landed and the pilot told us the delay was due to a VIP plane trying to leave the airport.Wont forget the experience in a jiffy.Forgot to add this.I was given a branded napkin in a sealed pack.can u believe i thought it was jam or watever for my snacks.I decided not to 'eat' it on the flight.Didnt know what was inside until i got home.My brothe made fun of me though.Dont blame me,blame my background.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by westsidema(f): 12:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
yes i do remember
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by KevinTang: 12:43pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first trip by air is very happy and exciting.
Very good memory now.
haha
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Ifeniyi22(m): 1:14pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first trip was nice but basically the fun was over as soon as the plane took off and was in the sky.I had my head glued to the window for a very long time.I just couldn't resist it grin
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Elgaxton(m): 1:24pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first air travel was cool though I was very young

Mum said I and my younger brother was disturbing the whole plane:

"Its going up its going up it's going up, it's coming down, its coming down, it's coming down"

That was all we were saying, The hair hostess enjoyed our company and afterwards they gave us a carton of of Capri-

Sonne as a gift.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by finevicode(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2007
e no easy ooo,i no blame the poor boiz, even bird they fall ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by nossycheek(f): 2:09pm On Aug 09, 2007
My 1st time in a plane? Hmm. Not much. That was sometime in 2002, Immediately we were lost in the cloud, I thanked God that even if I die then, it was worth. At least I have seen part of His abode and I began to imagine what the real heaven is like. I was lost in fantasy. I thought to myself "if I die in a plane, no probs at least I have entered one with my money.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Elgaxton(m): 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2007
@nossyCheek

so na to enter plane be fulfilment of your destiny for this world eh grin
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Pao3(m): 2:49pm On Aug 09, 2007
Hmmmmm.
My first experience was just last week and it was an adventure. Men na faith dey carry person for plane oh. The first thing i was hearing from the air hostess was hw to survive when d unforeseen happens. for me dat was threatening. i sat by the window and saw all the wonders of God. GOD IS INDEED GREAT. i shook anytime the plane goes thru the thick clouds but i had to show sm courage like a man. I look forward to other times but only those who have faith in God shld.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by santony2k(m): 2:59pm On Aug 09, 2007
First time on an Airplane? Hmmmm,

I was like 13 and me and my siblings were travelling to the US.
O'boy, nawa for naija airways of that time oh. After all the excitement and freedom at last from family and friends at the airport, they delayed us for abotu 8 hrs with no food, water, even the airplane's power was turned off.

To finally lift off meant the hostess were there and the food was coming - was more hungry than excited at that moment. I didnt feel anything until my ears started to hurt from jetlag. But apart from that it was all good.

I love window sit, just looking outside and admiring God's work through the work of humans (building a flying object).

Yeah, what happened to Fanta Chapman. That is still my favorite drink of all time even though it wasn't available in the market for long!
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by simplelady: 3:12pm On Aug 09, 2007
my first experience was scary. God did it we landed jos safely. to worsely the matter i boarded Nican airways which has only one flight and go to only jos.

on board, my fingers were clued to my ROSARy as i prayed along for journey mercy
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by obyann(f): 4:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first experience was fantastic. I did enjoy the trip. No fear. I was excited to board a plan for the first time. It was from Lagos to Enugu. I could not eat my cake and juice out of excitment.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Tobyrocks(m): 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2007
My experience was absolutely phenomenal. I boarded an IRS aircraft to Kano from Lagos on my way to the orientation camp and as soon as i entered i noticed a young lady seated beside me. She hurriedly introduced herself and started an hour long sermon about plane crashes.The thing about her was that she never stopped talking about plane crashes and possible survival positions in the Plane.
                                                                       Naturally i became very frieghtened as i was seated closest to the window. I began 2 wonder how many years the plane had been operational as i noticed the rusty wing and i blamed myself for not travelling by road. The worst was yet 2 come ,when i looked at the other passengers they had suddenly become religious chanting gospel songs. A look at the window again i could'nt see anything by then the plane was full throttle in the middle of nowhere, visibility was absent fear was present.
felt something in my stomach as i begged God for another chance to live. 10mins later a pensive looking white hostess came in 2 announce that we were experiencing "mild turbulence" like she puts it. About a minute later they started serving snacks and soft drinks. I didnt take mine cos' i knew my mouth will not open. I renewed my vow of celibacy with God and promised to be a better person as the height made me realise that God was greater than i had imagined.

Landing was even more terrible, perhaps because there was a sudden change in movement as the plane started to vibrate rather violently. I clearly remenber that i was like the 3rd passenger to get off the plane, and believe me i'm in no hurry to get into another one  wink
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by omega25red(m): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2007
mine was when i was like 6 years old we boarded swiss and i slept the whole flight because i was so excited that i would be flying and i kept running around Muritala Mohammed airport until i got tired and just went to sleep
Funny i wasn't scared at all because i wanted to be a pilot
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by desgiezd(m): 5:26pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first trip by air was to Kano and it was fun. I deliberately requested for a window seat and after take-off, I really, really admired and appreciated the work of God. I couldnt take by eyes off the window almost all through the journey. I still do. I had a university lecturer seating beside me and it happened to be during one of their striking periods. As we were hovering over Kano, we could see a river below us, in fact, we made a sort of u-turn above that river and at that point we experienced a "drop" (U know the feeling u have in your stomach when a speedying vehicle descends a steepy slope suddenly) I held on tightly to my seat, I saw the lecturer did the same and said "Oh, my God". After that we landed safely.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Pamperme: 5:34pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first experience was exciting, though my brothers told me before the flight that i will feel like throwing up but i didnt. Infact i enjoyed it so much and looking out of the window, the sight was so lovely at night. cheesy cheesy
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by desgiezd(m): 5:45pm On Aug 09, 2007
Tobyrocks:

I renewed my vow of celibacy with God and promised to be a better person as the height made me realise that God was greater than i had imagined.

Thats true my brother, there's no way one would look through the window during a flight that one would not appreciate God far more than how one had appreciated Him earlier. Beautiful is an understatement to describe the architectural design of the atmosphere. Its just awesome.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by olamee(f): 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first experience was about seven years ago, on Chanchangi to Abuja. I was travelling with my sisters and we were to meet my parents who had gone earlier. I can't remember being scared or something. Rather I was excited about my dad's book launch that I was going for.

Intuitively, I wanted to seat close to the window to get a good view at the sky and the earth below us. It was fun looking at cities, towns and rivers because they looked so tiny. It shows how great God is and how small we really are. You know? If things can look so tiny to us from up there, how much more, our problems in the sight of God. And, the world is not a bad place at all! It is a beautiful one, we human beings are the ones destroying it with our greedines.  

As per the food, I can never forget the tea they served us, it was terrible!  tongue They had some tiny black stuff at the bottom of the cup. Thank God they don't serve prepared food/tea/coffee any more.

I had a good memory of my first flight because first, one there was no turbulence unlike my last trip from P/H recently. Second, I saw some important personalities in the plane with us. That made me feel somewhat like a VIP.  grin
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Kemjisuper(m): 7:42pm On Aug 09, 2007
I had every reason to be scared on my first flight. Why? It was aboard a struggling Nigeria Airways flight - at a time when almost all their planes had been grounded. Unfortunately for me, I was stranded and that was the only flight to Lagos available. I actually watched the plane drop passengers from Lagos and pick up a new set bound for Cameroun. After about an hour or less, it returned from Cameroun, landed at the Calabar International Airport and then the announcement was made for us to board the plane back to Lagos.

On board, the plane was only half-filled. This got me a lil scared cos of the thought that most people declined to take the risk of flying Nigeria Airways, hence the empty seats. Plus, the airfare was reasonably low compared to others. I got myself a window seat just above the left wing and there was an elderly lady seated beside me (who was obviously forced onto the flight). She kept lamenting loudly on how she didn't want to die yet and that she didn't think she would make it! Especially during the short safety speech by the air hostess and her colleague.

We took off with all the funny feelings in my tummy as the plane rocked side to side and up and down. As an engineering enthusiast, I kept myself fascinated by all the mechanisms of the airplane's engine which was clearly visible from my window seat. The lady managed to calm down a bit once we got to cruise altitude.

Suddenly, the pilot announced that we would be making a brief stop at Port Harcourt International Airport for some maintenance. Passengers started complaining and the old lady beside me picked up on her lamentation with cries of "I said it! I knew it!"

As for me, I had to represent! I behaved like there was nothing bothering me even though I had knots in my tummy. Within minutes, we landed at PH Airport and taxied to a stop just outside the departure building. Suddenly, the door opened and many more passengers came on board till there was not an empty seat left. The doors were sealed, and we started another take-off. Maintenance indeed!They were just using the plane as "Danfo" to pick up stranded passengers.

The whole wahala started all over again with the lamenting lady still by my side. Gladly, we had quite a smooth ride to Lagos with little turbulence so I was pretty glad when we finally touched down safe and sound. Plus, I was happy to be rid of the lamenting old lady too.

Cheers
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by nazzyon(m): 7:49pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first experience was @ the age of 6 when Nigerian economy was still good back in the 80s.

We were studying flying objects, then. After we took off, each students were allowed to point @ and mention the names of the devices in the corkpit.

Thanks for creating this thread, please I need to know the amount charged for a trip in an Helicopter in Lagos States. I'd like to get one for some personal bizness.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by Sweet161: 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2007
My first journey on AIR was by Air France from Lagos to Paris. I never know there is anything like Turbulence then. When that happen what came up to my mind was "Oh my God pot holes" in the air.

Ever since I have been having nice trips.
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by iyes(m): 9:06pm On Aug 09, 2007
MY FIRST TIME WAS IN 2001, LAGOS TO ABUJA, ALBARKA.

I WAS ALITTLE APPREHENSIVE AT FIRST, BUT ONCE ON THE RUN WAY AND THE CRAFT TOOK SPEED AND LIFTED UP, THE REST WAS EASY, NOT AS BAD AS I'D EXPECTED.

TAKING OFF WAS FASCINATING TO ME, AS I GOT A WINDOW SIDE. WATCHING THE WHOLE OF LAGOS DISAPPEAR INTO A TINY PATCH ON TH LANSCAPE, JUST AS IT'S DRAWN ON MAPS. OH, WONDERFUL. LOVED THE OCEAN AND LAND VIEWS CONTRAST, THEN THE UNDULATING PLAINS BETWEEN LAGOS AND OYO STATE, AND GRADUALLY ONTO THE BUILD-UP OF MOUNTAIN RANGES FROM KWARA/OSUN STATES TO THE RUGGED MOUNTAINS OF KOGI & FCT. LOVELY SIGHTS, I WAS JUST HAVING FUN ALL THE WAY. THEN,

IT WAS ANNOUNCED THAT WE WERE APPROACHING NNAMDI AZIKWE INT'L AIRPORT, AND SO SHOULD FASTEN UP FOR THE DESCENT AND THE EXPECTED LANDING WHICH WAS TO BE IN THE NEXT 5-10 MINUTES. JUST AS I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT EXPERIENCE, THE NEXT THING I SAW WAS THAT WE ACTUALLY PASSED THE AIRPORT (WHICH WAS ACTUALLY VISIBLE JUDGING BY THE LOWER ALTITUDE WE'D MOVED TO) AND FOR THE NEXT 1 HOUR OR MORE, WERE JUST CIRCLING ROUND ABUJA-KUBWA-KARU-GWAGWALADA-ABAJI OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

EVERYONE'S HEART HAD JUMPED TO THEIR MOUTHS, EVEN ALL THAT WERE SLEEPING BEFORE WOKE UP AND JOIN IN THE VIGIL, AND TO WORSEN THE SITUATION, NOTHING WAS OFFERED AS INFORMATION OR EXPLANATION. SO A JOURNEY OF 45 MINUTES FROM LAGOS TO THE POINT OF LAST ANNOUNCEMENT NOW TURNED TO 2 HOURS (A WHOLE 120 MINUTES) I WAS PARTICULARLY AFRAID SHOULD THE AIRCRAFT LOSE FUEL (SHOULD THEY HAVE PROVIDED FUEL FOR ABOUT AN HOUR'S JOURNEY WITH THE INTENTION TO RE-FUEL AT ABUJA) AS WE CONCLUDED THAT THE AIRCRAFT WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BRINGING OUT LANDING TYRES!

FINALLY AFTER OVER 2 HOURS IN THE AIR, AND MUCH PERSPIRATION, WE LANDED. IT WAS AT THE ARRIVAL HALL WE LEARNT THAT WE WERE DELAYED (ACTUALLY REFUSED LANDING) DUE TO WHAT WAS TERMED "V.I.P MOVEMENT"!!!!!!!
THIS I LATER FOUND OUT MEANT THAT OBJ WAS TO FLY OUT OF TOWN, AROUND THAT TIME, AND SO WOULD NOT ALLOW ANY PLANE LAND OR TAKE OFF DURING THE TIME IT TOOK HIM TO SHOWER AT HOME, DRESS UP, DRIVE UP TO THE AIRPORT, EXCHANGE BANTERS WITH HIS CRONIES AT THE PRESIDENTIAL LOUNGE, AND EVENTUALLY BOARD & TAKE OFF!

KAI, WHAT A COUNTRY WE HAVE. THEY WERE READY TO SACRIFICE ALMOST 200 LIVES ON BOARD ALBARKA AIR TO APPEASE THE gods OF ASO ROCK. EXTREME EYE SERVICE!!!

3 Likes

Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by oluhak: 12:33am On Aug 10, 2007
Mine wasn't that easy because all my veins immediately went up and started shivering and while in the air during turbulence, i was just praying for the plane to reach its destination on time.

Now, ve boarded it to U.S and Europe many times.

Olu-Hak
Re: Describe Your First Trip By Air by alleno: 7:48am On Aug 10, 2007
, well, i guess my first time was some years ago, my mom was travelling to Dubai for business and she decided to pick Me. I guess it was because i was the first born.
Well, everything was OK until we got to the runway, the plane started accelarating, then stopped and suddenly started moving again and very fast at that, then the LIFT OFF, the weightlessness and the jetlag almost killed me, i had to hold my nose and blow out air from my ears, i just had this "unholy" feeling that something may go wrong and all the movies and documentaries on National Geographic started flashing, worst still, my mom was in First Class and i sat with one huge guy,
i eventually statrted enjoying the ride when i started to watch the inhouse movie Spiderman 2, for the first time.
The food was great and it was not just snacks it was real food,
when the plane finally landed, it was a great relief,
but all together, it was fun,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tragedy As Ambulance Kills Three In Abia / Dubai And South Korea / Liberia:Rising From The UN-Civil War (In Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.