Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:01 PM

Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation (6438 Views)

Fayose To Mu’azu: Resign, Emulate British LP, Democrats’ Leaders / Prepare For Mass Protest Over Subsidy Scam, Soyinka Tells Nigerians-nan / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2011
Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka yesterday marked his 77th birthday with a warning to the younger generation not to emulate him.

Soyinka, popularly referred to as ‘Kongi’ by members of the literary world, celebrated this year’s birthday in his country home in Abeokuta. He said it would be wrong for the younger ones to toe his path, apparently referring to his incessant criticisms of bad government.

The Nobel Laurate said it could be "problematic" to do so.

The professor, who hosted 77 children drawn from all parts of the country to celebrate with him,added that the younger generation should not keep labouring to be another Wole Soyinka.

"Don’t try to be Wole Soyinka because I could hear when the Master of Ceremonies (MC) said you should all be like Soyinka. Don’t be like Wole Soyinka because it could be problematic. People should not try to emulate me, especially the younger ones. It will be wrong to do so.

The children were part of those that participated in an essay competition to mark Soyinka’s birthday. Miss Haliya Ibrahim from Kaduna State emerged winner.

She thanked the host for the privilege given to her to visit him and be part of the 77th birthday anniversary.

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State, who was there to felicitate with Kongi, extolled Soyinka’s virtues.

He said: "The significance of Soyinka’s birthday is not in the number being marked or in the monotony of the yearly rituals, but the celebration of life that has been dedicated to the struggle for an egalitarian society."

Amosun said Soyinka fought injustice wherever he observed it, adding that his life would be a challenge as well as encouragement to younger generation to aspire for greatness and excellence in any worthy endeavour.

"He has been a consistent critic of many military dictators and political tyrants worldwide. No wonder some of his admirers and critics alike also call him Kongi. It is remarkable that he hosting of the 77 children symbolises the demonstration of the journey so far and inject aspiration in those children who are the leaders of tomorrow.

" He is a creative challenge and encouragement to these children who invariably would become writers, doctors, lawyers, politicians and leaders. Prof. Wole Soyinka is an example for all of us to emulate, even though he said it is difficult to be a Wole Soyinka, we all agree with that. He is an epitome of respectability, resistance, commitment, and doggedness. I am sure we are particularly lucky to have learnt a lot from him," he said.

The governor reiterated his administration’s commitment to the development of the education sector.

"We believe that free and qualitative education will give our youths the needed impetus. I want to seize this opportunity to enjoin Nigerians to learn to appreciate those who have genuinely contributed to the growth and development of our society, while they are still leaving. It goes a long way in encouraging others to do their best to their immediate community and the larger society," he said.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Muza(m): 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2011
yeah,we wont,cultism is not a good thing. . .

1 Like

Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Pukkah: 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
Muza:

yeah,we wont,cultism is not a good thing. . .

Meaning?
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Muza(m): 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2011
Pukkah:

Meaning?

as it sounds. . .  grin cheesy

are u a poor student of history?
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by juman(m): 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2011
Happy Birthday Prof. Sir.

Amosun said Soyinka fought injustice wherever he observed it, adding that his life would be a challenge as well as encouragement to younger generation to aspire for greatness and excellence in any worthy endeavour.

As Gov. Amosun said Professor is worth of emulation.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by hannie: 7:55pm On Jul 15, 2011
Kongi has spoken . . .

who wan emulate am b4?

1) Atheist

2) Founding father of Cultism (innocently or otherwise)

3) Good Critic, Bad Politician

4) Maritally troubled (Life itself is not fair, I wont begrudge him on this)

but oh!!! I love his AFRO . . .I AM EMULATING HIM IN THIS ALL THE WAY!!! grin
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by abadaba(m): 8:19pm On Jul 15, 2011
Soyinka never founded a cult group rather, a brotherhood that is worthy to emulate. It is not a secret cult and has never been-National association of the Seadogs. Long live Soyinka and the founding fathers that are still around.
Happy birthday, hoi-hoi.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by ektbear: 8:26pm On Jul 15, 2011
hannie:

2) Founding father of Cultism (innocently or otherwise)

3) Good Critic, Bad Politician

4) Maritally troubled (Life itself is not fair, I wont begrudge him on this)

Hehe. My dad doesn't like him in part for these reasons grin
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by abadaba(m): 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2011
He is my hero.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
What a senile old man.
In ANY civilized country. . . this man would have been drooling away, over his oatmeal in one Nursing home as you can find in McDonough, Henry Counrrrry, Georgia. . . .still using 'cloth diapers' for the elderly. . . with safety pins as 'tacks'!
Abeg enter ya grave je je jor.
Who ask am sef? undecided
Abi no 'Nursing' home for Abeokuta to hide dis man?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrantus Nonsensicus! angry
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by abadaba(m): 8:35pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

What a senile old man.
Abeg enter ya grave je je jor.
Who ask you sef? undecided

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrantus Nonsensicus! angry
Who are you talking about?.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

you are a [b][size=20pt]t[/size][/b]ool!

Ya grand dadddy! kiss
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2011
abadaba:

Who are you talking about?.

Did I call any body's name? grin
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by coogar: 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

Ya grand dadddy! kiss

you are a fat, good-4-nothing tool!!
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Ystranger: 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

you are a fat, good-4-nothing tool!!

Leave Blazay alone, we love Blazay muah.

Sup Blazay aka Chintua, muah muah
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2011
Ystranger:

Please tell them o!
Hehn!
Somebarry cannot post in peace with all these stoopid 'Okoro-Yoruba' goons bothering porsin even on vacation with low blood pressure kwa nu? undecided
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Ystranger: 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

Did I call any body's name? grin

Blazay, I love your profile pic, can I 'shample?'

DOnt worry, I will wash my blokos, armpits, and butt-cracks thoroughly before I come over

I am even thinking of changing my name for ngbatic sounding to Edo sounding. Blazay, please grant my request.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by coogar: 8:43pm On Jul 15, 2011
Ystranger:

who the heck is blazay? which crevice or orifice did he spring out from to be dissing soyinka!! the only nobel laureate in the southern hemisphere. tell blazay to learn some manners.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 8:47pm On Jul 15, 2011
Ystranger:

Blazay, I love your profile pic, can I 'shample?'

DOnt worry, I will wash my blokos, armpits, and butt-cracks thoroughly before I come over

I am even thinking of changing my name for ngbatic sounding to Edo sounding. Blazay, please grant my request.

Viewing only. No touching. Thank you.

Now that I have your 'eRRR-ection' . . . attention.
Back to topic please.

Gracias!

coogar:

who the heck is blazay? which crevice or orifice did he spring out from to be dissing soyinka!! the only nobel laureate in the southern hemisphere. tell blazay to learn some manners.

I am not dissing 'Soyinka'. He should keep his mouth shut and realize his time has passed instead speaking to get some 'has-been' attention. Please, tell the old, 'out-of-shape', fart pipe to ziiiiip it! Or go fart in your coffee cup for 'creamer' or 'brownies'!

Thank you and good bye! kiss

Nuff said!
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Ystranger: 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

Blazay is actually a pretty smart dude too, probably smarter than Soyinka. You can quote me on that.

She has every reason to diss Soyinka. Freedom of speech.

Anyway, I really dont think you can take Blazay on. She is miles above you.  No one and I mean no one has successfully tackled Blazay on any topic.

She is the best for hia. And hey, she has the best poosie on NL and in Nigeria as a matter of fact.

Muah, muah, muah muah.

10 gbosas for Blazay.

@ Blazay, when 'is' you coming back to Yankee? May God not kill you for me.
Chintua? ROFLMAO
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by aljharem3: 8:51pm On Jul 15, 2011
Ystranger:

Blazay is actually a pretty smart dude too, probably smarter than Soyinka. You can quote me on that.

Anyway, I really dont think you can take Blazay on. She is miles above you.  No one and I mean no one has successfully tackled Blazay on any topic.

She is the best for hia. And hey, she has the best poosie on NL and in Nigeria as a matter of fact.

Muah, muah, muah muah.

10 gbosas for Blazay.

@ Blazay, when 'is' you coming back to Yankee? May God not kill you for me.
Chintua? ROFLMAO

stranger stranger u no go kill pesin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by abadaba(m): 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2011
Blazay is a foolishman.
He also hates anything Yoruba.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by coogar: 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

I am not dissing 'Soyinka'. He should keep his mouth shut and realize his time has passed instead speaking to get some 'has-been' attention.

Thank you and good bye! kiss

Nuff said!

it was his birthday. reporters pushed mics in his mouth, he had to speak. it's not like he deliberately woke up, ran to a radio station to start spitting hokum.

Ystranger:

Muah, muah, muah muah.

10 gbosas for Blazay.

i will eat blazay, suck his blood to the marrow, spit his bones out and down it with a swig of liquor. i'm not cute, i am a meanie!
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by abadaba(m): 8:56pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

it was his birthday. reporters pushed mics in his mouth, he had to speak. it's not like he deliberately woke up, ran to a radio station to start spitting hokum.

i will eat blazay, suck his blood to the marrow, spit his bones out and down it with a swig of liquor. i'm not cute, i am a meanie!
Supported.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

it was his birthday. reporters pushed mics in his mouth, he had to speak. it's not like he deliberately woke up, ran to a radio station to start [size=20pt]spitting hokum.[/size]

From your mouth to your 'babalawo's' ears. Na you tok am! Hokum he truly spat! Running to the mic or not. Better to be thought a [b][size=20pt]t[/size][/b]ool when silent than open the mouth to clear all doubt. Please tell Kongi to stop drinking 'piss'! It is toxic and can result in multi-organ failure.
Even William Shakespeare knew when to stop writing, not to mention stop talking. Haba!

Come chop. . .
Come suck. . .
Com spit. . .
Come swig. . .
Come swallow. . .

You think say I be 'Jesus' Christ wey una dey take do communion efry Soinday in 'remembrance' of ya cannibalistic legacy or occult ritualism?
Try ya luck. E nor go pass ya throat. . .and you nor for fit shyytam. Ya belle go swell. . .you go quench sharp-sharp.
Odeshi!
Nairaland is my witness if I ever go missing!
Like fada like son.
Occultism runs in the blood.
Abeg carry go!
Ritualist!

Please, carry your bad luck to someone else.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by coogar: 9:26pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

From your mouth to your 'babalawo's' ears. Na you tok am! Hokum he truly spat! Running to the mic or not. Better to be taught a tool when silent than open the mouth to clear all doubt. Please tell Kongi to stop drinking 'piss'! It is toxic and can result in multi-organ failure.
Even William Shakespeare knew when to stop writing, not to mention stop talking. Haba!

okay o, mr chintua. write an email to him to stop talking. . . .

Like fada like son.
Abeg carry go!
Ritualist!

i was talking literally. . . .
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by aljharem3: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

From your mouth to your 'babalawo's' ears. Na you tok am! Hokum he truly spat! Running to the mic or not. Better to be taught a [b][size=20pt]t[/size][/b]ool when silent than open the mouth to clear all doubt. Please tell Kongi to stop drinking 'piss'! It is toxic and can result in multi-organ failure.

You think say I be 'Jesus' Christ wey una dey take do communion?
Try ya luck. E nor go pass ya throat. . .and you nor for fit shyytam.
Odeshi!
Like fada like son.
Abeg carry go!
Ritualist!

Please, carry your bad luck to someone else.

grin grin grin grin grin

blazay u are the best
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Chintua: 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

i was talking literally. . . .

Yeah right!
Tell that to 'Judge Judy'!

Or you fit try "Nancy Grace"!

"Jack Bauer" kpa kpa don record am!

Lucky you. Time to take my mamma out.

Good bye sir! kiss

No escape!

Now face the topic.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by coogar: 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2011
Chintua:

Yeah right!
Tell that to 'Judge Judy'!

Or you fit try "Nancy Grace"!

"Jack Bauer" kpa kpa don record am!

No escape!

Now face the topic.

judge judy is too old now
nancy grace? puh-leazzzze
jack bauer can feck off!
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by oderemo(m): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
will eat blazay, suck his blood to the marrow, spit his bones out and down it with a swig of liquor. i'm not cute, i am a meanie!
una no go kill person for here.roflma.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by redsun(m): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2011
You don't have to be like Soyinka to be yourself,just be independent like Soyinka.You got to find a meaning to what life is by knowing how to work it out without having to be a burden to others and to yourself.
Re: Don’t Emulate Me, Soyinka Tells Younger Generation by Ystranger: 10:34pm On Jul 15, 2011
coogar:

[size=18pt]i was talking literally[/size]. . . .

fear don dey 'cash' you?

I told ya.

I LOVE BLAZAY.

@ Blazay, can I w/a/n/k with your profile pic?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NLC Faults Move To Change Minimum Wage Law / Why Nigerians Should Accept Homosexuality / Reps Seek Revocation Of Oil Bloc Licences Awarded Without Due Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.