Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra (9369 Views)

PDP Wins Enugu LG By Landslide / Breaking!!! 158 Kidnapped Victims Reunite With Families In Yobe / 5 Political Families In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aloyemeka1: 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2011
Sunday, July 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families in Anambra[/size]

At least, 13 family homes and properties, worth millions of naira, have been swallowed up in a gorge measuring about three hundred metres deep and 300m wide, in Amachalla village, Awka, the Anambra State capital.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-NFv804Z3LXY/TiKTcKt0fQI/AAAAAAAAFHs/5Q_qU3B9DF0/s1600/obi_200_200.jpg[/img]

The lawmaker who was invited to the location by residents, was short of words when he saw the extent of damage. He fought back tears while consoling wailing mothers, toddlers and youth, whose homes and belongings were swept away by torrential rains, urged for calm, assuring them that “something urgent is going to be done by the state government.”

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/07/landslide-gulps-13-buildings-sacks-28.html
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by jmaine: 10:04pm On Jul 17, 2011
At least, 13 family homes and properties, worth millions of naira, have been swallowed up in a gorge[b] measuring about three hundred metres deep and 300m wide,[/b] in Amachalla village, Awka, the Anambra State capital.

What Dhar hell  . .  i need to see the pics to believe this outrageous gully . . . This is what happens when ecological funds meant to tackle environmental issues are designated as one of  those cool stash of national cake to be devoured without trace and waring eyes  . . . A high population of Anambra citizens might just wake up one day to find out that they are [b]X [/b]meters buried underground . . . The incessant gully is a devastating disaster waiting to happen  embarassed embarassed
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Jul 17, 2011
Na God go save Nigerians oooh!!
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:12pm On Jul 17, 2011
The Igbo governors need to tackle this erosion problem before it is too late!

Erosion in Anambra, erosion in Ebonyi, erosion in Abia. I do not know if there is erosion in Imo or Enugu though.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:16pm On Jul 17, 2011
Erosion is an ecological disaster that continues to plague Igboland.

Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:20pm On Jul 17, 2011
this are some of the problems jonathan needs to tackle as well as the flooding in lagos and kano

some people would say it is the job of the governor but that is a big lie. the job is welfare and not natural disaster

jonathan please wake up. enff said
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by jmaine: 10:23pm On Jul 17, 2011
^ If your babe ditches you  cheesy cheesy . .Please blame it on Jonathan grin  . .  So preventing and mitigating disasters like this is not part of welfare if we are to tow your  reason  
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ak47mann(m): 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2011
hmmmm undecided
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:25pm On Jul 17, 2011
jmaine:

^ If your babe ditches you  cheesy cheesy . .Please blame it on Jonathan  angry angry

haha grin how was your sunday brother, hope it was good

na  i am not blaming jonathan here. all i am saying is that he has a lot of job to do as the president

you see, he needs to act and not seat in aso rock as i am made to believe by his inactions
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ektbear: 10:28pm On Jul 17, 2011
jmaine:

^ If your babe ditches you  cheesy cheesy . .Please blame it on Jonathan grin  . .  So preventing and mitigating disasters like this is not part of welfare if we are to tow your  reason  
His point is that for disasters of this sort, the FG should step in and help.

I don't necessarily agree, but it really isn't about Jonathan specifically.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:30pm On Jul 17, 2011
I read somewhere that this erosion in Igboland can be traced to the days of the palm oil trade. Seems like that plant will continue to impact us, since is loosened our soil.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by jmaine: 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

haha grin how was your sunday brother, hope it was good

na  i am not blaming jonathan here. all i am saying is that he has a lot of job to do as the president

you see, he needs to act and not seat in aso rock as i am made to believe by his inactions

Right from the days of OBJ . .Serious Billions of naira have been voted as ecological disaster funds for the SE states . . .It appears they took it as their own . .  13 % derivation funds ala Niger Delta states  tongue . . They need to start probing where all those funds disappear into . . while those menacing gullies keep gaining territorial grounds  . .further compounding the problem

Meanwhile . .My Sunday was tight . .  safe from the menace of Poseidon current siege in Lagos  wink wink
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

I read somewhere that this erosion in Igboland can be traced to the days of the palm oil trade. Seems like that plant will continue to impact us, since is loosened our soil.

brother, with the pictures i just saw on the internet and my stay in anambra, i can assume that the erosion has to do with the topography and the geographical location of the SE and not just anambra but also enugu abia and imo

found out that there are highlands in the cross river, benue areas and because of that the land in benue, cross river are hard

but when going down, the water is meet with lose clay soil of those state and the rushing water can easy eat up the soil slowly

and as u righly said, the palm oil plantation could also have loosen up the soil more

SOLUTION

i think sand and rock filling would be a cheap and effective way of going about it

what do u think
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2011
jmaine:

Right from the days of OBJ . .Serious Billions of naira have been voted as ecological disaster funds for the SE states . . .It appears they took it as their own . .  13 % derivation funds ala Niger Delta states  tongue . . They need to start probing where all those funds disappear into . . while those menacing gullies keep gaining territorial grounds  . .further compounding the problem

Meanwhile . .My Sunday was tight . .  safe from the menace of Poseidon current siege in Lagos  wink wink

grin grin grin grin no worry, i could not even go out today because it is still raining and flood water still dey

most of our governor are just corrupt people, i remember the great thief ALAMS and uba

i think right now, it has gotten to the stage the FG take over this issue

people are been displaced from there home because of this

sad really sad
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Rhino5dm: 10:45pm On Jul 17, 2011
Is like Oduduwa has replied those jubilating over Lagos flood. One good turn deserve another. . .Karma is a byytch!
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

brother, with the pictures i just saw on the internet and my stay in anambra, i can assume that the erosion has to do with the topography and the geographical location of the SE and not just anambra but also enugu abia and imo

found out that there are highlands in the cross river, benue areas and because of that the land in benue, cross river are hard

but when going down, the water is meet with lose clay soil of those state and the rushing water can easy eat up the soil slowly

and as u righly said, the palm oil plantation could also have loosen up the soil more

SOLUTION

i think sand and rock filling would be a cheap and effective way of going about it

what do u think

You may be right. I do not know, because I do not know much about soil topography or agriculture.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2011
EzeUche:

You may be right. I do not know, because I do not know much about soil topography or agriculture.

cool,
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by NegroNtns(m): 10:54pm On Jul 17, 2011
I have the proper response for this problem in SE but before I say it the human side of my nature wonders if there are any loss of lives.

So I ask, hope there is no life lost?
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:55pm On Jul 17, 2011
This is the threat to Igboland.  shocked shocked shocked

Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ektbear: 10:57pm On Jul 17, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Is like Oduduwa has replied those jubilating over Lagos flood. One good turn deserve another. . .Karma is a byytch!

Maybe so. But I think in situations like this, it behooves us to take the high road. NL sh1ttalking is one thing, actual loss of life/homes/etc is another.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:59pm On Jul 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

Maybe so. But I think in situations like this, it behooves us to take the high road. NL sh1ttalking is one thing, actual loss of life/homes/etc is another.

well said, even Nl has to have human beings at times. we should be compassionate about people's demise
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 11:01pm On Jul 17, 2011
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 11:02pm On Jul 17, 2011
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Desola(f): 11:06pm On Jul 17, 2011
Ezeuche,

Your wish is coming to you earlier than anticipated. The sea is surely coming to you now and may I add - BIG TIME! grin
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by NegroNtns(m): 11:09pm On Jul 17, 2011
Are there loss of lives?

Hmm, Desola, are you namfav?
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aloyemeka1: 11:12pm On Jul 17, 2011
Earth quake in Igboland. na waoh.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 11:13pm On Jul 17, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Earth quake in Igboland. na waoh.

how is it earthquake
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aloyemeka1: 11:14pm On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

how is it earthquake 

Almost an earthquake na.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Desola(f): 11:15pm On Jul 17, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Are there loss of lives?

Hmm, Desola, are you namfav?

What a question!

Why do you ask?
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 11:15pm On Jul 17, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Almost an earthquake na.

ok i see ur sarcasm

nah this is well controllable
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 17, 2011
Terrible. Gratefully no lives were lost
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Jul 17, 2011
alj_harem:

this are some of the[b] problems jonathan needs to tackle as well as the flooding in lagos and kano
[/b]
some people would say it is the job of the governor but that is a big lie. the job is welfare and not natural disaster

jonathan please wake up. enff said
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Since when did erosion become a NATIONAL problem?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aisha Campaign Team Accuses Saraki, Atiku Of Inciting Nigerians / IMF Urges Nigeria To Reduce Debt Vulnerabilities / Buhari: We Borrow To Finance Budget Because Of Dwindling Revenues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.