Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses (3543 Views)

PDP Goes Tough On Governors Who Want To Go To Senate / 23 Rivers LG Bosses Decamp To Apc / We Won’t Recognise New PDP Exco – Rivers LG Bosses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Xris74: 6:17am On Aug 10, 2007
ICPC recruits Nigerians to spy on govs, LG bosses
Lanre Adewole, Abuja - 10.08.2007

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) disclosed on Thursday in Abuja that it had recruited a total of 10 million Nigerians under the National Anti-Corruption Volunteer Corps to battle the scourge of corruption.

The volunteers were to serve as the commission’s foot-soldiers in monitoring the spending of states and local governments in the country.

The Resident Consultant to the commission, Mr. Folu Olamiti, who disclosed this at a workshop for members of the National Anti-Corruption Coalition, said the volunteers were spread across the country in order to take the battle against corruption in public offices to every corner of the nation.

He also said the volunteers’ briefs included monitoring the state and local government allocations with a view to ensuring accountability and transparency in public offices.

“The volunteers will have access to all the allocations that come to the states and local governments. They will also monitor award of contracts and how it is executed. This will help us keep tracks of what goes on at the state and local government levels,” he said.

He, however, said all information supplied to the ICPC by the volunteer corps would be verified under strict guidelines before the commission would take any action, adding that any volunteer that turned in false information would be heavily disciplined.

In his remark, the chairman of the commission, Justice Emmanuel Ayoola described corruption as the bane of Nigeria’s socio-economic and political development, adding that the Commission was poised to give the scourge a run for its money.

While noting that the Commission was totally committed to restoring the country to the path of progress and development, Ayoola said; “No society can achieve anything near its potential if corruption becomes a full blown cancer. It has become systematic and endemic in our society. Riding Nigeria of corruption is therefore a clarion call for every body; it is not a task for that can be carried out by the ICPC alone.”

Justice Ayoola called on the foot soldiers and the over 110 non-governmental organisations working on the crusade against corruption in the country to employ all available means to rid Nigeria of greed, avarice and all vestiges of corruption and promote transparency, probity, accountability and integrity in the public and private lives of all Nigerians.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/10082007/news/news3.html
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Xris74: 6:18am On Aug 10, 2007
Are these recruits Nigerians or foreigners? Naija sef?
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by denex: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2007
What are you saying? What foreigners? Why foreigners?

Do you know how many of these people I've come across? I would have gladly been one but they say you don't apply, they pick you. That's what they say. But do you know how much satisfaction it would give to know that a corrupt official was put away through your own effort? This is the minimum we can contribute towards nation building.

And it's a volunteer exercise, it virtually costs the ICPC nothing. It's just like jury service. These people are performing their civic duties.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Xris74: 11:32am On Aug 10, 2007
I asked that question because I remember the argument that all Nigerians are corrupt. grin

So where will ICPC get the incorruptible ones from? grin
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by PawPaw3(m): 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2007
This boy Xris74 no dey get anything positive talk about naija why. Make you commont ja re wetin be your own contribution apart from denigration? You no well at all. Abeg carry go.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by denex: 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2007
@Xris74

you remember an argument or you're putting forward an argument that all Nigerians are corrupt?
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Xris74: 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2007
10 million incorruptible Nigerians? Sounds like a tall order
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by uche1(m): 5:48pm On Aug 10, 2007
How much is the pay?
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by JeSoul(f): 6:04pm On Aug 10, 2007
This is a FANTASTIC move by the ICPC, I'm starting to have more faith when I see articles like this one. The threat alone of 'spies' should keep a few corrupt officials from doing their nonsense. But I really do hope that something comes out of this and people actually do get CAUGHT AND ARE SENT TO JAIL, not just a slap on the wrist. Kudos to the ICPC!
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by 50kobo: 6:18pm On Aug 10, 2007
@uche 1

it says 'volunteer' , check the meaning of the word! grin
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by 50kobo: 6:19pm On Aug 10, 2007
very good move! i hope the volunteers do not abuse the knowledge/information they obtain! this is jolly good!
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by esilove(m): 6:24pm On Aug 10, 2007
My brother, mi I de interested in this job oooooo

so that i go fish out all of the rottin eggs in this country.

on a serous not tell me how to join this people

even if pay no dey, no wahala
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Carlosein(m): 6:36pm On Aug 10, 2007
now we know there are lots of nigerians willing to battle corruption even from the replies seen here alone

kkudos and make them no change their minds later o
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by seun001(m): 6:40pm On Aug 10, 2007
thank God its volunteer which means no pay cos b4 u know it,so many people are on the payroll of th lg,state and federal.hoope this really translates to success.ifd this is a success then we can move on to how recurrent expenditure is spent,cos i c no reason y a governor will take 300 million in a month as security vote.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Carlosein(m): 6:43pm On Aug 10, 2007

i tell you where there's a will there's a way.

if every man knew he'd be held accountable for his deeds, he'd be more than incorruptible my broda.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Mamajama(m): 6:51pm On Aug 10, 2007
10 Million I can hardly Blvd the number. where did they find all this people? the Nigerian police only has 350,000 policemans. and the Nigerian Army has a lil over 2 Million, and for this apparatus to come up with 10 million people it is a fabrication In my opinion, what credentials does all the recruits have to checkmate a fraudulent governor?
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Jalal(m): 6:55pm On Aug 10, 2007
Mamajama:

10 Million I can hardly Blvd the number. where did they find all this people? the Nigerian police only has 350,000 policemans.

Policemans, i like that,
Any way only in Naija can u get such a ridiculous report or story
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Christino(m): 6:56pm On Aug 10, 2007
@ Majamaja

Thank God for your keyboard.

These people can deflate or inflate numbers so far they are talking to journalists. It's crap to me, i mean attention seeking or joblessness of the highest order. 160 miillion people spied on OBJ but couldn't default him, 10 million ants won't do shit, more over, where the heck did they get 10 million people (including street beggars and danfo drivers?)

Moreover, how can corrupt individuals do well in this description? especially when "All Nigerians are Corrupt" grin grin

I nor fit shout.

(Nigeria is the funniest country in the world. Even Laurel and Hardy agreed to that)
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by la1(m): 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2007
now seriously how does the ICPC intend to handle data fro "10 million" volunteers?
sounds like a real strech to me cos they might end up spending more time "verifying" the facts than ctually chasin down real culprits,its a good initiative bt i think the intention is more pshycological than anything else:if u no there are ten million ppl out there lookin over ur shoulder and watchin ur every move u ar bound to kp ur fingers outa the cookie jar, right?
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Carlosein(m): 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2007
but if na child's play, let them make fools of themselves before we castigate them.

maybe inflation of figures is involved here, but if results are involved at the end of the day who cares what figures are concerned.
uhmf!!!!
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by miky(m): 7:46pm On Aug 10, 2007
there should be no pay, for all those that want nigeria better this is the least in life you can do. maybe some few money thats all, it would be cool if none of them knew themselves. and a high consequence was available for betrayers.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by jerrymania(m): 8:23pm On Aug 10, 2007
Xris74:

You my brother. U speak truth.
hey y'all talkin as if u r incorruptible. Let me give you the staff and i i'll see all the money you can stash. That news is fake and ICPC aint doing shit.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by JeSoul(f): 8:29pm On Aug 10, 2007
haba! na wa for una sef.
Even if the ICPC cannot get 10 million people, the move, the idea is a GREAT one regardless. We keep complaining the govt ain't doing jack to battle corruption, now there's at least something positive, lets support it instead of all this unbelief.

Granted perhaps the number might be inflated, even if it is 1 million, even if it is 1000 people, the ICPC is STILL trying to do something - can't we at least appreciate that? I'd rather have 1000 volunteer spies than none at all!
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by McKren(m): 9:47pm On Aug 10, 2007
Mamajama

I dont mean to be rude, but you have to purge yourself of thinking only about Police, Army or what obtains in the forces.
These 10million people are not employees of ICPC neither are they some kind of corps, they are voluntiers and spies. They could be Grandparents and pensioners who will do their job very well in the believe that by that their children will have a better future.

Lets stop being negative to everything, as far as am concerned it is a good move. EFCC's fight against corruption has only been retroactive, I have always wished for a more proactive fight against corruption and this is a good example.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by NiteAngel(m): 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2007
How wise to use funds that should have been siphoned to upgrade the process of siphoning undecided
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by alleno: 11:24pm On Aug 10, 2007
, na today, i hope tthis is not one of their FILM TRICKS. ICPCywood
, soon and very soon, we are going to see the LORD.
, undecided
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by doncaster(m): 11:27pm On Aug 10, 2007
I dont want to be seen as a pessimist but how can these 10 million spies spy at the officials.Voluntary? is ICPC a charity organisation? are they not being paid? It sounds weired to me to be honest. Its only time will tell.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by TayoD(m): 12:01am On Aug 11, 2007
@topic,

While I think the idea of recruiting Nigerians to fight the scourge of corruption is good, I think there is something amis from the strategy being employed by the ICPC. If INEC could not even get a few thousand upright people to man the polls, what makes ICPC think they can recruit millions? undecided

Someone who is in touch with ICPC should please advice them on the following. The best way to monitor allocations is to set up an information center online. Each State's, LG's and Concil's allocation should be made available. The disbursement and destination of the funds should also be provided. This way, the information is available to ALL Nigerians and not just the select few.

A Government that claims to have carried out a project in a particular area will have to post pictures of the area prior to and after the project implementation. That way, those who live in the locality can prove the truthfulness or otherwise of such projects. While not only will this be effective, it will give all Nigerians the opportunity to watch how their money is being spent and eliminate the bureaucracy involved in managing 10 million people. Besides, once those selected few are recognised by the Politicians, they become easy targets, not only for physical harm, but targets of bribery.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Purist(m): 11:52am On Aug 11, 2007
Brilliant one, TayoD, brilliant!!!

@ Mamajama & Christino,

I don't think they've got the 10million peeps yet. Dem still dey 'recruit'!

@ the others,

Pessimism is the major cause of our under-development in this country, seriously!
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by denex: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2007
@mamajama

it is not a fabrication. To find 10 million Nigerians willing to do easy, volunteer work that is beneficial to them indirectly, yet takes nothing of them is very easy.

What I consider a fabrication however, is your statement that the Nigerian army is a little over 2 million. Brother please! The only army over 2 million is the Chinese army. The Nigerian army is about 100,000.

Well, me I've seen some of these people even before I read it in the papers. One of my ex-schoolmates working in the Prisons service is one of them.

@TayoD

the ministry of finance has a website that shows all monthly allocations. To any Nigerian who bothers to check. They also publish them in the newspapers. I think that should be enough. No use for 2 websites performing the same exact function when Nigerians have REFUSED to put the existing one into use.

http://fmf.gov.ng/portal/detail.php?link=faac

also the projects carried out are also documented. But do Nigerians care? All they do is complain.

At least for my Local Government Area, I can tell what projects have been undertaken, those ongoing, and those planned for the future:

http://owaneast.org/projects.htm

so don't worry about information. It is made abundantly available. It is the people you refuse to use it and rather report to the "Our Leaders Are Bad" philosophy of handling things.
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by Christino(m): 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2007
@ Denex

Since the census results were published i've learnt not to trust the government with "numbers" !!!  angry

Asking the whole of lagos to spy on whoever is errm errm (and for God's sake what the hell are they spying for? What can they see? Paper and pen dey steal, Gateman dey spy. utter gibberish!!!)
Re: ICPC Recruits '10 Million' Nigerians To Spy On Governors, LG Bosses by DeepSoul(f): 2:18pm On Aug 11, 2007
What are these pple supposed to spy on sef?

These politicians and so-called leaders are not hiding their thievery. It's clear for ALL to see. What are the spies gonna "dig out" that we all dont already know? Oh puhleese!!!

If almighty EFCC hasnt been able to do anythin to someone like Odilli, despite the incriminating evidence against him, I wonder what ICPC would do with info gotten from 10 million ordinary Nigerians.

How laughable this is!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Col Umar On Obasanjo And Corruption / Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria / Igbo: A People In Search Of A Leader: Further Commentary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.