Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,849 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road (2605 Views)

Siege To Dasuki’s Home: AGF Appears In Court Today. / Siege To Kashamu’s Residence Within Confines Of The Law – AGF / Don't Run Away To East Gov Yero Of Kaduna State Appeals To Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2011
By Emma Amaize
ASABA- EX-MILITANTS laid siege to the East-West Road, weekend, at Orhoro community in the outskirt of Bomadi local government area, Delta State and almost lynched one of their former leaders for supposedly embezzling their allowances.

Delta State Commissioner of Police, Mamman Tsafe confirmed to Vanguard when contacted that the police was already working to contain the situation.

Men of the Joint Task Force, JTF, on the Niger-Delta from Bomadi were deployed to the scene before normalcy finally returned, but the ex-militants insisted on correct payment of N65, 000, they are  entitled  to in a month.

Meantime, the Federal Government has ordered the Joint Task Force on the Niger-Delta, Police Commands and other security agents in the Niger-Delta to synergize and beef up security in Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja and affected states following the latest threat by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta to resume hostilities.

The Inspector General of Police, Hafiz Ringim was said to have dispatched a circular to the this effect to Commissioners of Police across the country, while the National Security Adviser to the President, Major –General Andrew Owoye Azazi, rtd, was leant to have conveyed the Federal Government’s directive to the security chiefs.

On the barricade by ex-militants , which disrupted  traffic for hours on the East-West Road, last Friday, it was learnt that the protest was not against the Federal Government,  but against some ex-militant leaders, who deduct money from the N65,000 allowance paid to each of the ex-militants without their consent.

A source told Vanguard that the Office of the Special Adviser to the President and on Niger-Delta and chairman of the Presidential Amnesty Committee, Hon. Kingsley Kuku, had done everything practically possible to ensure that the N65, 000 monthly stipend for to the ex-militants undergoing training get to them, but a number of the ex-militant leaders take away money from the allowances of their boys for unstated reasons.

Director of Public Affairs of the Amnesty Office, Mr. Henry Ugbolue confirmed in a phone chat with Vanguard, Monday, that about one year, the office had been battling the phenomenon, saying, “We are against anybody tampering with the allowances paid to the ex-militants”.

One of the ex-militants who spoke to Vanguard said, “Our protest is not against the Amnesty Office, it is against our former leaders who are tampering with the allowance paid to us by the government. They should stop it”.

The Amanayabo of Meinbutus (Ijaw communities, Warri urban) and national president of the Niger-Delta for Credible and Visionary Leadership, King-Jerry Prebor , who witnessed the incident told Vanguard, Monday, that an ex-militant general, identified as Blessyn was almost lynched by the  irate ex-agitators over the matter.

He said he was travelling on the East-West Road when he ran into the siege by the ex-militants and had to disembark from the vehicle to introduce himself and plead with the protesting ex-militants to remove the trailer and other things used as blockades on the road.

Prebor said men of the Joint Task Force, JTF, on the Niger-Delta from Bomadi got to the scene after he had calmed the boys and  intended to use force to disperse them, but he pleaded with them to be civil in their approach, as the boys were angry.

The Amanayabo called on the appropriate government authorities to address the grievance, saying, their allowances should not be tampered with, it should be given to them the way government released it to them.

A security source told Vanguard that security agents might be forced to track down the ex-militant leaders involved in the tampering of allowances of their boys since the complaints had become prevalent and could lead to another round of crisis if not checked.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/ex-militants-lay-siege-to-east-west-road/
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 9:44pm On Jul 18, 2011
mend don start again angry
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by Rhino5dm: 10:18pm On Jul 18, 2011
our 'freedom fighters'! Bloody buncha lazy ediots doing what they are known for.
The-oil-na-me-get-am syndrome.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 10:31pm On Jul 18, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

our 'freedom fighters'! Bloody buncha lazy ediots doing what they are known for.
The-oil-na-me-get-am syndrome.

lol
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by cold(m): 2:30pm On Jul 19, 2011
It is becoming more clearer now that these urchins never had the interest of the Niger Delta at heart.They're being flown around the world,the fat cats in Abuja are getting fatter and the Niger Deltans are far worse today than they were 5 years ago.And to think GEJ is from that region,what a shame
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by dayokanu(m): 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2011
I dey laff

Shebi na dem broda wey no get shoe be president. Make dem go him house for Otueke
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by baslone: 3:33pm On Jul 19, 2011
I'll rather go to the creeks to earn 65K than go to Borno for Nysc's 18k!

Some banks can't even pay that! It pays to be a militant!
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by Andrew3(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2011
baslone:

I'll rather go to the creeks to earn 65K than go to Borno for Nysc's 18k!

Some banks can't even pay that! It pays to be a militant!
lol shocked
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by Reference(m): 4:49pm On Jul 19, 2011
Inept thinking by government once again. How it intends to sustain this kind of program over the long term beats me. These people need jobs, the region needs infrastructure badly. Does it take a guru to put one and one together. Put them to work, real work so that they can earn real salaries. If what they do, their trades can support those salaries let it be. It is real work that creates real expectations.

But I'm one hundred percent sure that all projects are still in the hands of government apologists and the enemies of Nigeria that fritter away our resources and send the rest to Switzerland. Give these people roads to construct, bridges to build, rail lines to lay, refineries to instal. When these roads fail, bridges collapse and refineries implode then we wil all know our limits, learn the hard way and tailor our expectations. That is development.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by hakanai(m): 4:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
^^^^ considering that alot of law abiding Nigerian graduates are out there unemployed and patiently hoping some day God almighty will help them out. hoping Job even with a minimum wage of 20k to manage body and soul.To eat and shower. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by nateevs(m): 5:05pm On Jul 19, 2011
Reference:

Inept thinking by government once again. How it intends to sustain this kind of program over the long term beats me. These people need jobs, the region needs infrastructure badly. Does it take a guru to put one and one together. Put them to work, real work so that they can earn real salaries. If what they do, their trades can support those salaries let it be. It is real work that creates real expectations.

But I'm one hundred percent sure that all projects are still in the hands of government apologists and the enemies of Nigeria that fritter away our resources and send the rest to Switzerland. Give these people roads to construct, bridges to build, rail lines to lay, refineries to instal. When these roads fail, bridges collapse and refineries implode then we wil all know our limits, learn the hard way and tailor our expectations. That is development.

Jobs? When you set a precedence of paying ex-militants a sum they will never earn from a job, you erase a generation.
What's the incentive for the uneducated in these regions to pick up a job? 65k? Some people will never earn 65k a month till they die.

It's cheaper to become a militant. Many University graduates don't earn 65k. How do you explain to these people who have no role models that it pays in the end to go to School? Why should they spend 20 years of their lives studying when you can pick up arms and threaten to blow up places?

More people will pick up arms in anticipation of the juicy end. . . 65k. When the situation reaches a threshold, government will fight back. These people will tell their generations unborn how they were deprived of their legitimate rights and encourage them to pick up arms and fight for their rights.

Where does it stop? How our President cannot see this, I cannot understand.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by hackney(m): 5:14pm On Jul 19, 2011
These militants and fulani marauders or whatever keep harassing at the fringes.

That goes to show that its not us.
if it were. they will come in and disturb and weirdly, it will be more acceptable.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by tlops(m): 5:19pm On Jul 19, 2011
nateevs:

Jobs? When you set a precedence of paying ex-militants a sum they will never earn from a job, you erase a generation.
What's the incentive for the uneducated in these regions to pick up a job? 65k? Some people will never earn 65k a month till they die.

It's cheaper to become a militant. Many University graduates don't earn 65k. How do you explain to these people who have no role models that it pays in the end to go to School? Why should they spend 20 years of their lives studying when you can pick up arms and threaten to blow up places?

More people will pick up arms in anticipation of the juicy end. . . 65k. When the situation reaches a threshold, government will fight back. These people will tell their generations unborn how they were deprived of their legitimate rights and encourage them to pick up arms and fight for their rights.

word!

How can one pick form*?
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by Basics007: 5:42pm On Jul 19, 2011
What's even the criteria for callin someone an ex-militant? Many of these boys have never seen a gun in their lives not to talk of carryin one . But when they heard govt is distributing free money they quickly turned into ex-militants. Our govt is the most clueless i've ever seen.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by duality(m): 5:47pm On Jul 19, 2011
why won't boko haram ask for amnesty. truth is, we can't continue like this. some of us from the niger delta are just so sentimental about this issue. this is not development. the money spent on this amnesty program alone can turn my state into a mini london if used judiciously.  what we need in our region is development. i just left my state yesterday and i keep asking when will my delta state change to what it supposed to be.  cry  for me, they should stop this nonsense amnesty now. they have done enough. its now time to send Julius beggar, rcc, etc into the region and turn it around  build more refineries in the region. set up industries. this to me, is the amnesty we need. this is what will benefit both the militants and the non militants.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by reindeer: 5:48pm On Jul 19, 2011
^^^^^^^If only the nitwit in Aso rock will listen to you.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 6:06pm On Jul 19, 2011
Reference:

haka_nai:

^^^^ considering that alot of law abiding Nigerian graduates are out there unemployed and patiently hoping some day God almighty will help them out. hoping Job even with a minimum wage of 20k to manage body and soul.To eat and shower. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Now that is development but that would not solve the problem

The amnesty program is intent to give militants money monthly without working or lifting a finger. Yet this people are still doing militancy. I dey laff oooo. Now all the money they have gotten from amnesty, can they not use it to start there own business if they are not lazy set of people.

Now you think if the Fg provide job for them, they will stop the militancy and start working like sensible human being. Certainly not!!!!!!

When last have you heard of OPC fighting

When last have you heard Bakassi boys fighting even as their land was given to another country where they are discriminated against and killed on daily bases.

Please lets look at things here and see that this people are just fighting for Money and power just like boko haram?
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by dayokanu(m): 6:07pm On Jul 19, 2011
duality:

why won't boko haram ask for amnesty. truth is, we can't continue like this. some of us from the niger delta are just so sentimental about this issue. this is not development. the money spent on this amnesty program alone can turn my state into a mini london if used judiciously.  what we need in our region is development. i just left my state yesterday and i keep asking when will my delta state change to what it supposed to be.  cry  for me, they should stop this nonsense amnesty now. they have done enough. its now time to send Julius beggar, rcc, etc into the region and turn it around  build more refineries in the region. set up industries. this to me, is the amnesty we need. this is what will benefit both the militants and the non militants.

Word!!!
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 6:10pm On Jul 19, 2011
duality:

i hope your brothers would reason like you. people are not look at it as national issue but as an ethnic issue with is stu.pid
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by trimwis: 6:42pm On Jul 19, 2011

Gbam!! you have said it all, the federal government is setting a bad signal to the younger generation that crime pays.

Tompolo, Asare Dokubo and some other criminals that call themselves freedom fighter they kidnap, bomb terrorize the country and federal government gave them amnesty and direct access to the presidency. They are now national heroes cry cry cry

Now some criminals that call themselves BOKOHARAM hiding under Islam is bombing the north, very soon the government will give them amnesty and their leaders will become national heroes. Why will an ex governor apologize to criminals?

Tomorrow is might be the turn of the easterners cry cry cry cry
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by Rhea(f): 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2011
[size=14pt]I hope the FG is bracing for a time when it can no longer pay militants N65,000 every month for being a militant. Is there any alternative being fashioned out for them or will they be allowed to take to the streets with the guns they must have purchased with the 65K?
Pertinent questions for our leaders to ask themselves for now. [/size]
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2011
Maybe militants too should ask for salary increment since everything don dey cost
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by aljharem3: 6:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe militants too should ask for salary increment since everything don dey cost
grin grin grin grin grin grin yes oo
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by trimwis: 7:20pm On Jul 19, 2011
I hope the FG is bracing for a time when it can no longer pay militants N65,000 every month for being a militant. Is there any alternative being fashioned out for them or will they be allowed to take to the streets with the guns they must have purchased with the 65K?
Pertinent questions for our leaders to ask themselves for now.

They will always have money to pay criminals than to pay workers N18,000

we will soon have NIGERIA MILITANT CONGRESS grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by mbulela: 8:12pm On Jul 19, 2011
militancy is a monster created by the political elite,it has outgrown its creator and will be a willing tool in the demise of the creator.
the genie is out of the bottle,it is only a matter of time.
Re: Ex-militants Lay Siege To East-west Road by mkpologwu(m): 11:11pm On Jul 19, 2011
Yeeeepaaaa!!! For dis jungle wey all of us be militant na im some dey collect me no dey collect! GEJ ur head oh!

(1) (Reply)

Prosecute Boko Haram Members Or Release Okah - Ex Militants / Reavealed: Ojukwu Had A Child With A Fulani Lady In 1965 / FG Unveils $9.3bn External Borrowing Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.