Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? (5543 Views)

Naija Recipe: How To Make BOLI With Sauce And Smoked Fish / This Is The Best Boli (roasted Plantain) Ever!!! / Your Favorite Road Side Meal : Boli, Boiled/Roasted Corn Or Roasted Yam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by datnigga: 8:39pm On Jul 19, 2011
hello peeps, am tryna make boli but i keep gettin it wrong! anytime i attempt to make it, it always come out wrong cry I use ripe plantain so i dnt know if this is the problem. Should i use unripe plantain instead and even if i use unripe plantain, how unripe should it be? very unripe or averagely unripe? lool

Finally, because am using an oven to grill it, what temperature do u reckon is best and approximately how long would it take to be ready. Pls use response are welcomed as i am craving for some boli and epa toh bad!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by senthilcm: 9:11pm On Jul 19, 2011
ngredients

* Maida : 1 ½ cups
* Grated coconut : 2 cups
* Jaggery : 1 ½ cups
* Semolina (roasted) : 1 tsp
* Cardamom powder : 2 tsp
* Cashew : 10
* Ghee : 2 tbsp
* Oil : ¼ cup
* Turmeric Powder : ¼ tsp

Method

Take maida, turmeric powder, 1 tbsp oil and mix with water till it forms a dough.
Set aside. Add 1/4 cup of water to jaggery and heat it on a stove.
When the jaggery melts, strain it. Grind grated coconut and cashew.
Add jaggery water to the ground paste along with cardamom powder and stir fry in a pan till the mixture is dry.
Add roasted semolina and remove from the stove.
When cool, make small balls.
Take a small ball of maida dough, make it into a cup.
Place the coconut ball into the cup and close it.
Take a small plantain leaf and smear some oil.
Place the ball on the leaf and spread it into a circle using the tip of the fingers.
Place a pan on the fire. When it is heated, put the flattened poli.
Keep the stove on medium flame.
In a few seconds the leaf can be removed.
Flip the poli add oil and ghee mixture around the sides.
Remove when cooked.

cool try it

senthil

senthicm@sify.com
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by datnigga: 11:09pm On Jul 19, 2011
wt r u on about? am talkin of boli made from plantain, wt d heck is jaggery, maida and all has to do with it? shocked shocked r u high grin

1 Like

Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by tpia5: 4:01am On Jul 20, 2011
i'm not sure the overseas plantain is the proper type.

i've tried boiling plantains on a number of occasions and they tend to come out soggy.

maybe i was doing something wrong or the plantains were too ripe perhaps.

try unripe plantain.

not sure for how long, etc.
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by MissyB3(f): 8:52am On Jul 20, 2011
datnigga:

wt r u on about? am talkin of boli made from plantain, wt d heck is jaggery, maida and all has to do with it?  shocked shocked r u high grin
Lol! I, too, was like ''All these ingredients for common bole''?! grin
BTW, why do you call it boli? I've always known it to be called bole not boli.

Never made it, never liked it . . . Not interested either. tongue

i've tried boiling plantains on a number of occasions and they tend to come out soggy
Two possibilities :
1) Too much water
2) Too ripe
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by datnigga: 9:09am On Jul 20, 2011
thanx jare missy b, i dnt knw wt that other person is on about.

BTW, why do you call it boli? I've always known it to be called bole not boli
, i jst cal it boli cos dts aw i pronounce it. lool
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by JeSoul(f): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2011
datnigga:

hello peeps, am tryna make boli but i keep gettin it wrong! anytime i attempt to make it, it always come out wrong cry I use ripe plantain so i dnt know if this is the problem. Should i use unripe plantain instead and even if i use unripe plantain, how unripe should it be? very unripe or averagely unripe? lool

Finally, because am using an oven to grill it, what temperature do u reckon is best and approximately how long would it take to be ready. Pls use response are welcomed as i am craving for some boli and epa toh bad!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
  Lol. Poor you.

I think it may be the type/ripeness of plantain that you're using. All plantains are not equal - I have found that out very clearly, so know where you buy your plantain from and make sure its good quality. I have seen plantain that is black on the outside but once you touch it hard as a shell, and a green one that was soft to the touch - those are not normal lol. Some retailers do not store their plantains properly during transport/in the store and in my opinion contributes to some strange plantains I've seen. Especially cold climates where it can freeze & unfreeze in cycles. See this: Unripe, mid-ripe and almost ripe. The second picture is very ripe.
[img]http://karmafreecooking.files./2008/07/platanos.jpg[/img]

For your bole, you want to use good quality plantain that is mid-ripe: not fully ripe (black) or unripe (green), it should be a bit firm to the touch but not hard, skin should be yellow with maybe a little black. If its too soft/ripe it will fall apart on your grill/oven, too hard and will not cook properly (unpleasant to bite through). For oven grilling, I usually set my oven to ~350-400 degrees, for about 20-30mins (maybe even less depending on your type of oven). Alternatively, you can slice your plantain down the middle into 2 long halves, you'll be able to tell better when its done.

I wish you goodluck and perfect boli(e)  cheesy
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by JeSoul(f): 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2011
tpia@:

i'm not sure the overseas plantain is the proper type.

i've tried boiling plantains on a number of occasions and they tend to come out soggy.

maybe i was doing something wrong or the plantains were too ripe perhaps.

try unripe plantain.

not sure for how long, etc.
Missy ★ B:

Two possibilities :
1) Too much water
2) Too ripe
  You're right. Plantains that are too ripe (black) do not work well when boiled, they 'fall apart' as tpia said. However, some people like to eat their plantains that way. If you like super ripe boiled plantains, then the boil time is what matters - five mins self should be enough.

Tpia, the yellow (mid-ripe) plantains work best with boiling. About 10-15mins in boiling water should be sufficient. I always boil it with the skin on, this helps keep it 'intact'. Take off the skin after boiling (and watch your fingers! lol). Tip: slice a line along the side before boiling, this will make taking off the skin after boiling very easy.

^@my last two posts, I didn't know I was a plantain expert like this oh! Lol. grin
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by tpia5: 7:14pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^thanks.

I'll try that next time.

I didnt have all these problems cooking plantain in nigeria.  shocked

All plantains are not equal

i guessed as much.
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by tpia5: 7:16pm On Jul 20, 2011
Missy ★ B:

BTW, why do you call it boli? I've always known it to be called bole not boli.

its either bole or boli.

Missy ★ B:

Never made it, never liked it . . . Not interested either. tongue

shocked shocked

you're missing something good.
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by datnigga: 2:39pm On Jul 21, 2011
tanx y'all for the reply, @ JeSoul, i shud av read ur reply b4 buying some plantain but unfortunately, I went to the shops today and bought the unripe one (green) instead of the average one you recommended, i think am jst gona try the unripe one like that and see how it comes out. ve been craving for this boli for almost a week now and can't wait any longeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, grin grin
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by JeSoul(f): 7:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
tpia@:

^^thanks.

I'll try that next time.

I didnt have all these problems cooking plantain in nigeria.  shocked

i guessed as much.
Honestly. I am very suspicious of 'african' or should I say tropical foods that are shipped here. They are almost never the same. Transportation and storage can really have an effect on quality and taste.

datnigga:

tanx y'all for the reply, @ JeSoul, i shud av read your reply b4 buying some plantain but unfortunately, I went to the shops today and bought the unripe one (green) instead of the average one you recommended, i think am jst gona try the unripe one like that and see how it comes out. ve been craving for this boli for almost a week now and can't wait any longeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, grin grin
You're welcome smiley. If you can wait for ~a week it should get mid-ripe (store in a warm place preferably in a tied plastic bag to speed up the process). Make sure you enjoy your bole with some correct roasted 'gra-nut' grin
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by mashnino(m): 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2011
criously guys i am now hinry, and who was the second poster writing rubbish all in the name of bole
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by iv4real(f): 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2011
Use medium or low heat , but not too low so it does not take too long, don't use very high heat or it will get burnt . After peeling the plantain , cut it in the middle ,make sure it does not get to the end of the plantain so you won't divide the plantain into two halves, this is to make sure the heat gets into the plantain to roast the inside also not only outside the plantain. then open up the cut you made in the middle to expand it and create a hole in the middle of the plantain. Then you can put in the oven.
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by LovethIfy(f): 11:27am On Jul 26, 2011
pls where can one buy Turmeric Powder in nigeria
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by Etesam(m): 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2017
tpia5:

its either bole or boli.

shocked shocked
you're missing something good.
Re: Plssssssssssss: How To Make Boli? by Abakeade: 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2017
You can get Turmeric at Shoprite in the spices section

(1) (Reply)

Microwave Oven For Baking Cake N Meatpie. / Pure Raw Honey / Catering School In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.