Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef (3541 Views)

Fear Of Militants’ Resurgence In Niger Delta - Sun Newspaper / El-Rufai Administers Polio Vaccine To His Son Today In Kaduna / Why Ebola Virus Resurgence In Nigeria May Likely Occur Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 7:31am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

I wonder why ystranger didnt "copy and paste" this from the site he stole his other questions from:

2. Pfizer went to Kano to assist the Nigerian government during a seriousepidemic, and
they offered free treatment. Whereas some of the 200 children they treated with Trovan
may have experienced some serious side effects thatin some cases led to death, some
participants in the trial responded well to Trovan and thus benefited. After all, some
patients in the government and MSF camp responded poorly to chloramphenicol treatment
and died. Thus the deaths would probably have occurred anyway even if Pfizer had not
come on board.

Why is no one mentioning the fact that while 9 deaths were ASSOCIATED (note we cannot use the term "killed"wink with the use of trovan, 12,000 died from the epidemic! Why did those families fail to sue the Kano state government for failing to provide adequate medical care?

Some deaths were also recorded for many on the MSF and government-provided chloramphenicol (which is completely ineffective at the late stage of the disease and may have contributed to some of the trovan deaths), did anyone sue the government over the chloramphenicol-related deaths or was this just an attempt to extort pfizer?

Again from the same source - 5. The bacterial meningitis epidemic was fuelled by the squalid conditions in which the
communities of Kano were living, and that is what needed to be addressed urgently. [size=13pt]Pfizer
did not cause or exacerbate the epidemic; it only came into Nigeria to help and to test a
drug that could potentially improve the treatment of bacterial meningitis in children[/size].

You may or may not believe it, i am seeing your link for the first time?

What I posted was a power point meant for discussion in small group in an ethics class in some 'ara-oko' village school somewhere.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

^^^^

ANd where is Pfizer today?

hmmm the world's LARGEST pharmaceutical company with sales in excess of $42bn last year?

lol where is this uncouth malo from?
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 7:34am On Jul 20, 2011
in December 2010 WikiLeaks released US diplomatic cables, which indicate that Pfizer had "used dirty tricks to avoid clinical trial payout". The company had hired investigators to find evidence of corruption against the Nigerian attorney general to persuade him to drop legal action.[65] Washington Post reporter Joe Stephens, who helped break the story in 2000, called these actions "dangerously close to blackmail."[58] In response the company has released a press statement describing the allegations as "preposterous" and stating that they acted in good faith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfizer#Nigeria
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 20, 2011
Ystranger:

You may or may not believe it, i am seeing your link for the first time?

What I posted was a power point meant for discussion in small group in an ethics class some 'ara-oko' village school somewhere.

It is intellectual integrity to always cite your sources. Note when i produced facts and figures on epidemiology of infant mortality, i DID indicate my source.

Here are your "comments":

- Pfizer researchers took advantage of
The absence of a functional ethics committee (institutional one at Kano or national committee).
The desperation of the affected poor, illiterate people.
The emergency situation that greatly facilitated recruitment of participants at a single site.

From the website:

There are various schools of thought regarding the Trovan Trial, and some of them are listed below:
1. Pfizer researchers took advantage of the following situations that were prevailing at the
time of the meningitis epidemic to conduct their Trovan Trial;  
(a) The absence of a functional ethics committee (institutional one at Kano or national
one).  
(b) The desperation of the affected poor, illiterate people.  
(c) The emergency situation that greatly facilitated recruitment of participants at a single
site

Ditto for your "questions" that were 100% lifted from that site. you knew that you were not intellectually responsible for those comments and questions YET you posted them as yours without crediting your source? And these fools have the temerity to sit here and question the intellectual competence of others? What a shame. At least you shld have tried to juggle some letters around to perfect the sham.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 20, 2011
lol and this is the fool accusing others of being "factless" and "gutless"? Rather that than go around copying and pasting from websites to look good. cheesy cheesy

Just more of his tomfoolery:

His "questions":

You need to ask yourself the following questions - note how this is phrased AS IF he is writing the questions himself!

(1) Is it possible to conduct research ethically during an epidemic? Knowing fully well the Cipro, even in the US, is sparingly used in kids under 21. - Phrased slightly differently from the website, but the Ciprofloxazine example is discussed in brief on the site.
(2) Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children? > From website - "Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children?"
(3) Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial? > From the website - "Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial?
(4) Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda since pre and post Pfizer mortality rate did not change? > From the website - "Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda?
(5) Why did Pfizer agree to settle out of court?
(6) Would Pfizer have done the same thing in the US or UK?

What a shame.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Ystranger: 8:54am On Jul 20, 2011
davidylan:

lol and this is the fool accusing others of being "factless" and "gutless"? Rather that than go around copying and pasting from websites to look good.  cheesy cheesy

Just more of his tomfoolery:

His "questions":

You need to ask yourself the following questions - note how this is phrased AS IF he is writing the questions himself!

(1) Is it possible to conduct research ethically during an epidemic? Knowing fully well the Cipro, even in the US, is sparingly used in kids under 21. - Phrased slightly differently from the website, but the Ciprofloxazine example is discussed in brief on the site.
(2) Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children? > From website - "Did Pfizer exploit the poor desperate people with severely ill children?"
(3) Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial? > From the website - "Does illiteracy justify the fact that Pfizer researchers did not obtain proxy consent for the children they enrolled into their trial?
(4) Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda since pre and post Pfizer mortality rate did not change? > From the website - "Did they help to fight the meningococcal meningitis epidemic at all or they had their own agenda?
(5) Why did Pfizer agree to settle out of court?
(6) Would Pfizer have done the same thing in the US or UK?

What a shame.

ROFLMAO

Obviously, you think everyone is like you and you think people cant come up with similar questions like the one from your website.

Like I said, it was a PPT from an ethics class.  Send me your email and i will send you a copy of the slides. I did not go to your website to copy and paste stuff. I always attach my sources. I am not a NL intellectual. grin

LOL ROFLMAO

Now that I have embarrased you "intellectually, just like I did on the abortion thread, you now want to win by discrediting my "intellectual sagacity." Anyhow, dont back out oh, send me an email and I will send you the PPT slides. Or anyone else who is interested for that matter.

I made you agree with me and now you cant let go, bent on questioning my integrity. Well, i dey kampe for you.

What a sore loser. You want to blame that website for your stupidity? huh?  grin What a sore loser. Whiny arse byytch. NL intellectuals; making things up is all they are good at.

They will blame anything for their stupidddd  and out-of-touch ideas.
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by PointB: 9:15pm On Jul 20, 2011
@topic javascript:void(0);

very shame. foolish people and leaders in the north will tell their people that the vaccines are poison, yet they somehow manage to vaccinate their own children.
when will these amaljiri culture end.

north is dragging us back, and people like alj boko harem will defend the indefensible.
with pple like him, how the country move forward.

i said earlier, people plagued with polio can never walk to school;
the north should first eradicate polio, then go to school

they light years behind the rest of the world. sad cry cry cry
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by PhysicsQED(m): 1:10am On Sep 07, 2011
hmmm. . .
Re: Polio Resurgence In Nigeria Could Reverse Gains: Unicef by Kobojunkie: 2:55am On Sep 07, 2011
We still dey battle disease wey much of the world don say goodbye to tay kai!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News Tambuwal, Belgore Blame Foreign Powers For Nigeria's WOES / National Awards Committee Is Incompetent - Udom U. Ekpoudom / Efcc Moves To Legalise Plea-bargaining

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.